Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Pacers get Rondo in a trade?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Could Pacers get Rondo in a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if it's been said yet but the Pacers traded their 2014 draft pick in the Scola trade. That means that they cannot trade their 2015 pick.
    I thought it was you couldn't trade subsequent first round picks in the same deal?
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I thought it was you couldn't trade subsequent first round picks in the same deal?
    Nope, you can't trade subsequent at all. You can swap, but that would be useless for a team to do with us.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

maybe we can get Avery Bradley for George Hill
    Why so SERIOUS

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I know its a little risky , but if we were to go after Rondo, I would say do it in the off season

I haven't run the numbers but it would be something like:
    George Hill, Mahimi, 1st round pick and their choice of Solomon Hill/OJ for Rondo and filler

I have no idea if they would do this, but thats all I would offer , and I would NOT do it this year
    Sittin on top of the world!

You guys do realize that moving multiple players salaries for one players salary will end up hurting the Pacers financially, right? More money, or even same money, spread over less players just drives up the probability of going over the LT.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I imagine Avery is still good but his game has fallen off thanks to so many changes in Boston. Kids probably just needs a fresh start. And as for Toronto, well.....I'd rather have Bradley as my starting PG than Jeff Teague. Who they were rumored to be interested in.
    Bradley has basically turned exclusively into a shooting guard. The Celtics were even playing Crawford at the point guard spot before Rondo came back. The Raptors would not be getting a point guard back by receiving Avery Bradley, regardless of what his position is listed as on a website. Every game I've seen him play for the Celtics recently I've never once witness him playing in a true point guard role.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You guys do realize that moving multiple players salaries for one players salary will end up hurting the Pacers financially, right? More money, or even same money, spread over less players just drives up the probability of going over the LT.

Marvin Williams expiring contract would take care of that. However, that's ONLY if the deal went down in the next 24 to 48 hours. Which it won't so....moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I know its a little risky , but if we were to go after Rondo, I would say do it in the off season

I haven't run the numbers but it would be something like:
    George Hill, Mahimi, 1st round pick and their choice of Solomon Hill/OJ for Rondo and filler

I have no idea if they would do this, but thats all I would offer , and I would NOT do it this year

I agree. I just posted that trade scenario since we were on the subject. But a Rondo move should happen in the off-season for 2 reasons.......

1. Rondo now is still trying to regain his all-star form. Rondo in the 2015-2016 season will be THE Rondo everyone remembers. Why trade for rehab Rondo now for a championship run, when you can get him healthy, training camp, etc in the off-season?

2.I wouldn't shake up the team now when we have a legit shot at a title this season. I'd just make a small move, and add shooters to the bench in exchange for offensively anemic players like Granger, and move on with trying to win the NBA crown.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Marvin Williams expiring contract would take care of that. However, that's ONLY if the deal went down in the next 24 to 48 hours. Which it won't so....moot point.
    You would have to replace his body on the bench next year. Sure, you can sign a D-leaguer for pennies. But that guys better not need to see a second of action...

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    You would have to replace his body on the bench next year. Sure, you can sign a D-leaguer for pennies. But that guys better not need to see a second of action...
    Exactly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

What would be the point?

Yes, Rondo's a great point guard, but he's not a great fit playing next to PG / Lance. Remember what happened when you put Nash next to Kobe? Why would you add another ball-dominant guard like Rondo when George Hill plays off ball so well and is such a great fit for what we're doing?

If you're trading for Rondo, you're giving up Lance/Hill/Granger. And he's not worth that, especially not this far into a title run.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I certainly hope not.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

How do people think if you add a great player it will hurt your team... there is no way that Rondo does not help this team... most fans on this post have never played basketball so they lack understanding... I guess i get that... but if you dont beleive Rondo would improve this team then you are sadly mistaken....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Millertime3131 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Millertime3131 View Post
    How do people think if you add a great player it will hurt your team... there is no way that Rondo does not help this team... most fans on this post have never played basketball so they lack understanding... I guess i get that... but if you dont beleive Rondo would improve this team then you are sadly mistaken....
    You think it's worth it to blow up the PG position mid-season for Rondo though? I'd rather wait till the Summer to get Rondo, so he can have training camp and all the other REPS with our team. IF the front office wants to blow up the PG position for an upgrade now, Kyle Lowry makes more sense. If you trade Hill, you can re-sign him and Lance.

Sports Logo

We wont get Rondo but we could get Jason Terry, he is a vet just traded to a team who is going young. The Sacto papers are even asking will Terry ever play for the Kings and their answer is I don't know. Larry get on the phone with them Cope & Solomon Hill for Jason Terry I am ALL for this. Throw in Donald Sloan while you are at it. We are playing for a title this year and Terry would help off the bench.

Oh and he played well against Miami in the finals when he was with Dallas.

That's disingenuine. It's not like we're singing a 100% healthy Rondo who's been studying our playbook for a year off the street for free. There are compensation issues that need to be resolved, both in terms of payment and players, as well as chemistry and health issues, all of which can have a negative impact on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    We wont get Rondo but we could get Jason Terry, he is a vet just traded to a team who is going young. The Sacto papers are even asking will Terry ever play for the Kings and their answer is I don't know. Larry get on the phone with them Cope & Solomon Hill for Jason Terry I am ALL for this. Throw in Donald Sloan while you are at it. We are playing for a title this year and Terry would help off the bench.

He's too old. Can't shoot anymore. No thanks. Brooklyn thought they were gonna get the same player you think we will get. He was traded because they were wrong. JT is not the same JT of 4 seasons ago.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If there was some realistic scenario in which we (a) landed Rondo, (b) kept Lance, Paul, and Roy, and (c) could still re-sign Lance, I'd be all over it. I highly doubt such a scenario is possible.

Moving George Hill ($8M), Chris Copeland ($3.1M), and Solomon Hill ($1.3M) would cover 95% of Rondo's salary next year ($13M), but losing three players for one brings on potential depth problems, and in all honesty, I highly doubt Boston would be interested in that offer, even with a 1st thrown in. Surely they can do better.

My guess is, if we offered Lance in a package for Rondo, Boston would be all ears. I'm just not sure I'd be willing to move him for an injury-prone reported headcase like Rondo. Maybe I'm overrating Lance, but I see potential superstardom in his game.
    Last edited by Lance George; 02-20-2014 at 12:42 PM.

What it boils down to, I believe, is what we will lose to gain this great player. Sure we gain Rondo, but the trades being presented would cause us to lose way too much. I can part with two of Danny, GHill, and Lance, but if we trade Danny and GHill and some picks for Rondo we're certainly losing Lance too. Now, I'm not as enamored with Lance with others, but I don't think Rondo+$2MilPlayerA+$2Milplayerb is better than Stephenson+Hill+Granger.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    If there was some realistic scenario in which we (a) landed Rondo, (b) kept Lance, Paul, and Roy, and (c) could still re-sign Lance, I'd be all over it. I highly doubt such a scenario is possible.

Moving George Hill ($8M), Chris Copeland ($3.1M), and Solomon Hill ($1.3M) would cover 95% of Rondo's salary next year ($13M), but losing three players for one brings on potential depth problems, and in all honesty, I highly doubt Boston would be interested in that offer, even with a 1st thrown in. Surely they can do better.

My guess is, if we offered Lance in a package for Rondo, Boston would be all ears. I'm just not sure I'd be willing to move him for an injury-prone reported headcase like Rondo. Maybe I'm overrating Lance, but I see potential superstardom in his game.

We'd be better off trading Hill in a sign and trade for Kyle Lowry. Hill and pieces for Lowry. Lowry can shoot better for one thing. Although I like Rondo, and we did almost have him if years ago...CP3 had agreed to be traded to Boston. I like Lowry over Rondo these days.

We'd be better off trading Hill in a sign and trade for Kyle Lowry. Hill and pieces for Lowry. Lowry can shoot better for one thing.
    Player 1 - 45%, 38% 83%

Player 2 - 42%, 38% 81%

Which is which ??

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Player 1 - 45%, 38% 83%

Player 2 - 42%, 38% 81%

Which is which ??

Percentages don't matter much when it comes to watching actual games. I've seen Lowry shoot amazingly this season. Rondo as I recall only had one big shooting game, which was 40+ vs Miami. Most of his points come on layups or around the basket. But Lowry is a better distance shooter. We need that in crunch time.

Percentages don't matter much when it comes to watching actual games. I've seen Lowry shoot amazingly this season. Rondo as I recall only had one big shooting game, which was 40+ vs Miami. Most of his points come on layups or around the basket. But Lowry is a better distance shooter. We need that in crunch time.
    He's comparing HIll and Lowry, not Lowry and Rondo.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Percentages don't matter much when it comes to watching actual games.
    Well, first - those numbers are Hill (whom you're trading) and Lowry.

Second - percentages don't matter ?? Really ??

Third - Rondo is a career 47%, 25%, 61%.

Lowry is more aggressive and athletic along with his scoring prowess. The ball moves better when he's on the floor. I think Lowry and PG would be awesome. But I also think Rondo and PG would be awesome. But ultimately, Rondo would make Hibbert and PG better. Lowry? Not so much.