Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sit Scola until March

Default Sit Scola until March

I love Scola and love what he can do for this team. But we need him healthy in order to do it. The last 5 or so games before the break, his elbow was giving him serious trouble. He was better tonight (3 of 4), but that's in part because he wasn't taking the long 2s that were his bread-and-butter earlier in the year. After tomorrow's game against Minny, we have a really nice schedule for a few games. It's an ideal place to get that elbow some rest and let Copeland get some minutes.

We play play at Milwaukee, then we're home for the Lakers and Milwaukee. We travel to Boston, then are home for Utah before hosting the Warriors on Tuesday, March 4th. Even without Scola, we should win all of those games. We could give him almost 2 weeks of rest and make sure he's ready for the stretch run.

Thoughts?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Sit Scola until March

I'd have no problem with that as long as Copeland ( not Granger ) is West's Primary backup at the PF spot.

I know that many would balk at this cuz he puts up lackluster #s...but that is in garbage minutes and with the 3rd Unit. The reason I say this is because I really want to know how well ( or not ) he will do as the backup PF playing regular and consistent minutes in the rotation with the key rotation Players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Scola and love what he can do for this team. But we need him healthy in order to do it. The last 5 or so games before the break, his elbow was giving him serious trouble. He was better tonight (3 of 4), but that's in part because he wasn't taking the long 2s that were his bread-and-butter earlier in the year. After tomorrow's game against Minny, we have a really nice schedule for a few games. It's an ideal place to get that elbow some rest and let Copeland get some minutes.

We play play at Milwaukee, then we're home for the Lakers and Milwaukee. We travel to Boston, then are home for Utah before hosting the Warriors on Tuesday, March 4th. Even without Scola, we should win all of those games. We could give him almost 2 weeks of rest and make sure he's ready for the stretch run.

Thoughts?
    It would only help Luis and would be good to give Copeland some minutes in case someone goes down, down the stretch.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Didn't realize his elbow was hurt, in that case it would probably be a good idea.

I agree with that. Maybe even sit him a little longer so he's fresh.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

If the doctors and Scola are good for him to play then he needs to play. This second unit still not got it going. They need the rest of the year to get it going.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    If the doctors and Scola are good for him to play then he needs to play. This second unit still not got it going. They need the rest of the year to get it going.
    The second unit isn't going because Scola can't shoot with a bad elbow. There's no reason not to rest him and get that back to 100% before the playoffs.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unless it isn't his elbow and that his role is too limiting.

t:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Didn't realize his elbow was hurt, in that case it would probably be a good idea.
    Candace said something about it right before break, saying he had it wrapped in ice but didn't want to talk about it.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Watching how effective Korver plays, I wonder if Copeland could be as good. Value in a 3 point shooter that doesn't miss
    David "And One" West

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Watching how effective Korver plays, I wonder if Copeland could be as good. Value in a 3 point shooter that doesn't miss
    Korver is automatic vs starters. You feel "pretty good" about Copeland in bench-clearings. I wouldn't quite put them in the same class until Copeland is able to prove more.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Korver is automatic vs starters. You feel "pretty good" about Copeland in bench-clearings. I wouldn't quite put them in the same class until Copeland is able to prove more.
    But how can he prove himself when he gets no PT?

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 31Since1990 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

One of the main reasons ( other than the obvious of letting Scola recover ) why I'd advocate letting Scola sit while letting Copeland backup West is because I want to see how well ( or poorly ) that Copeland would do as the Backup PF while playing regular Backup Minutes with the primary core of Players.

I know that I am in the minority....but I am of the belief that there is a small possibility that if "push comes to shove" that the Pacers could simply let Scola go ( hence pushing Copeland into the Backup PF role ) in an effort to save Salary Cap space to re-sign Lance. I agree that I think it would be difficult for Bird to do this....but keep in mind that letting Scola go could be one of the options ( even if it is not the most preferable ) that the Pacers have to free up 2014-2015 Cap Space.

For me, I want to see if Copeland can fill that role of backing up West on a regular basis or not. I'd rather know now going into the offseason so that we know what positions of need the Pacers would have to fill.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

The second unit isn't going because Scola can't shoot with a bad elbow. There's no reason not to rest him and get that back to 100% before the playoffs.
    Do we really know that's the reason for it, or are we assuming? I've seen the elbow mentioned by Buckner in two tweets, but that is it. I would think if it were an issue, the staff would be cautious about it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    But how can he prove himself when he gets no PT?
    its called practice. Vogel had no problem going from Solo to OJ to Butler getting PT before Danny got back because guys weren't playing well. If Cope was doing better in practice, he would probably be making a better case for PT. But since he only gets garbage time, its pretty clear he's just not working out like they thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    its called practice. Vogel had no problem going from Solo to OJ to Butler getting PT before Danny got back because guys weren't playing well. If Cope was doing better in practice, he would probably be making a better case for PT. But since he only gets garbage time, its pretty clear he's just not working out like they thought.
    Solo/OJ/Butler are in a little different positions in their career than Luis. Sitting him because his shot hasn't been falling would be a huge blow to him IMHO. It would be better to let him play through it and get it figured out, than possibly burning a bridge.

A health concern is an easier sell than just telling him he's playing awful. I look at it this way, he's still giving better production than Tyler.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Yea, blame Scola's presumed elbow injury for the lack of production by the Pacers bench...

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

So... I still like this idea.

Enjoy your time at PD!

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sit him until his contract is up is also an idea.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It really is frustrating how JOBesque Frank is about playing Scola over Cope. Cope needs the PT, and it looks like Scola could really use the rest.

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It really is frustrating how JOBesque Frank is about playing Scola over Cope. Cope needs the PT, and it looks like Scola could really use the rest.
    The way Vogel constantly rolls out Scola over Copeland, you'd think he owes money to a drug cartel run by Luis Scola or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    The way Vogel constantly rolls out Scola over Copeland, you'd think he owes money to a drug cartel run by Luis Scola or something.
    For all the flack Hansbrough caught for his offense, Scola sure has gotten a pass this year. Is he getting older? Is the Pacers bench cursed? Well get this, Scola is shooting his career worst field goal percentage at 46.1%, while Hansbrough is at a career high at 48.6%. They are both top 30ish in the league in defensive rating but I still think that Hansbrough is the more adequate defender, but the numbers say only slightly I guess. Hansbrough also gets to the line twice as much as Scola and he has a Ts% of 57.8 compared to Scola's 49.7%. Hansbrough also caught a lot of flack for his turnovers but he has a turnover ratio of 13.5 and Scola's is 14.1 this year.

To be fair to Scola in his prime he was a better player than Hansbrough but this year it seems to me the stats indicate the Raptors are getting more out of Hansbrough than we are getting out of Scola. Scola may still be just as good or better than old Hansy, though the stats indicate otherwise, but he is dying on our bench just like Green, Augustin, and Plumlee last year and maybe Granger this year. Maybe Turner is next. Sure we are the better team, but I think we would be even better with Hansbrough and Granger compared to Scola and Turner off the bench. Don't even compare Granger's and Turner's advanced stats. You'll be in for a rude awakening.

I think Bird has been missing on some things lately and the Granger trade could have hurt the chemistry to the point that we are in full crisis mode. If Granger was really wanting to stay here this year and compete for a championship, Bird should have let him and kept his promise not to trade him. Especially in his only year contributing on a true contender. If not and Granger was happy to get traded knowing he would get cut and go back home to LA, then I could be wrong. Also add in the fact we gave up Plumlee who we could have stashed on the bench as a cheap option to take over for Ian when/if we trade him. Also the fact that Hansbrough got pretty much the exact same deal from Toronto makes me think Bird was going to rescind his offer and he let Tyler know so he could opt out and maintain some dignity and possible leverage. Still replacing him with Scola hasn't panned out in my opinion based on the stats, especially when you consider we gave up Plumlee to do it. Green was deserving to get traded, but we never even gave Miles a chance.

I'm glad that they all are doing well on other teams though and for most of them it was in their best interests I guess.
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 03-10-2014 at 10:13 PM.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    For all the flack Hansbrough caught for his offense, Scola sure has gotten a pass this year. Is he getting older? Is the Pacers bench cursed? Well get this, Scola is shooting his career worst field goal percentage at 46.1%, while Hansbrough is at a career high at 48.6%. They are both top 30ish in the league in defensive rating but I still think that Hansbrough is the more adequate defender, but the numbers say only slightly I guess. Hansbrough also gets to the line twice as much as Scola and he has a Ts% of 57.8 compared to Scola's 49.7%. Hansbrough also caught a lot of flack for his turnovers but he has a turnover ratio of 13.5 and Scola's is 14.1 this year.

To be fair to Scola in his prime he was a better player than Hansbrough but this year it seems to me the stats indicate the Raptors are getting more out of Hansbrough than we are getting out of Scola. Scola may still be just as good or better than old Hansy, though the stats indicate otherwise, but he is dying on our bench just like Green, Augustin, and Plumlee last year and maybe Granger this year. Maybe Turner is next. Sure we are the better team, but I think we would be even better with Hansbrough and Granger compared to Scola and Turner off the bench. Don't even compare Granger's and Turner's advanced stats. You'll be in for a rude awakening.

I think Bird has been missing on some things lately and the Granger trade could have hurt the chemistry to the point that we are in full crisis mode. If Granger was really wanting to stay here this year and compete for a championship, Bird should have let him and kept his promise not to trade him. Especially in his only year contributing on a true contender. If not and Granger was happy to get traded knowing he would get cut and go back home to LA, then I could be wrong. Also add in the fact we gave up Plumlee who we could have stashed on the bench as a cheap option to take over for Ian when/if we trade him. Also the fact that Hansbrough got pretty much the exact same deal from Toronto makes me think Bird was going to rescind his offer and he let Tyler know so he could opt out and maintain some dignity and possible leverage. Still replacing him with Scola hasn't panned out in my opinion based on the stats, especially when you consider we gave up Plumlee to do it. Green was deserving to get traded, but we never even gave Miles a chance.

I'm glad that they all are doing well on other teams though and for most of them it was in their best interests I guess.

Scola gave us great stuff early in the season. The trade was worth it to me. Tyler had reached his ceiling. At least Scola takes better shots. And when he's on, hits a ton of them. Tyler was just goofy, and threw up wild stuff. He had no form or rythm on his shot. But Scola played B-ball last Summer in Argentina. Hence he had NO OFF SEASON. He is getting fatigued at about the right time. Frank needs to adjust, bench him, and play Copeland.

Turner for Granger was a good trade. Mostly because we also got LaVoy Allen. He could easily back up Roy and be our back up for next year. LaVoy can shoot. Plumlee can't. And probably never will learn. Turner is an excellent passer. Frank needs to run more plays for him. Jumpers off screens, and post ups. That's where he's strongest. Also using picks off the dribble and getting to the rim, ala Celtics game. Our coach is either inept, or too lazy to come up with positive situations for our players to thrive in.

Augustine has been on many teams. He's thriving in Chicago. Great. Where was that in Charlotte, Toronto, etc? Green had his shot in Indy. He should've been prepared. He blew it. He's doing great in Phoenix. But they don't play defense. What's gonna happen if Green shoots bad next season? Green seems to be one of those players who will have up and down years. In a way, he reminds me of Corey Maggette. Corey was never good enough to be a franchise player anywhere.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Larry fell in love with a guy years ago and did whatever he had to to get him w/o considering that hey, he's about to be 34 and not really that good anymore. Is what it is, Green's doing great in PHX but he was awful here, terrible fit, and it cleared money, he didn't want to include Plumlee but that was the entry cost to get them to take Green (they're lying if they say anything about expecting Green to play like he has), but the 1st rounder too? We got housed.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Larry fell in love with a guy years ago and did whatever he had to to get him w/o considering that hey, he's about to be 34 and not really that good anymore. Is what it is, Green's doing great in PHX but he was awful here, terrible fit, and it cleared money, he didn't want to include Plumlee but that was the entry cost to get them to take Green (they're lying if they say anything about expecting Green to play like he has), but the 1st rounder too? We got housed.

Why? Ist rounder would've added salary. In a year where we wanna re-sign Lance. Green can fit in many systems. Phoenix, NY, GSW. But not in Indy, Chicago, or Miami. His bad shot taking would drive people nuts.