Thread: Closing On A House Is Hard

Default Closing On A House Is Hard

After the 5th time our closing date has moved, along with 5 times I've had to call Comcast, the furniture store (sectional), Sears outlet (fridge), BrandsMartUSA (washer/dryer), gas company, electric company, water company, garbage pickup, and Progressive for our Home Insurance to get start dates and delivery dates updated, we should finally close either Tues or Wed.

3 delays due to stuff not being completed on time and the last 2 have been due to weather (city of Atlanta shutting down due to icy roads).

If I have to make another phone call to change **** again, I'm going to go *****ing nuts.

All our stuff is packed save for some clothes and necessary stuff for the kitchen.

So freaking ready to own my first house with my lovely wife. Been saving since we got married 5 years ago. Seems like it's taken forever to save for a down payment.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Closing On A House Is Hard

Hang in there, it will happen. Always keep in mind, nobody gets paid until this thing closes....so they want it to close as badly as you do. (Are you remembering that I'm a real estate agent?) OTOH don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, you are afterall, making the largest purchase you are likely to ever make.

Good luck and congratulations!!
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

When I bought my first house I had issues as well, it sucks to say but I had to be an *** to get it done. My closing date kept getting pushed back for silly reasons the house was already completed.

I wasted a weeks vacation sitting in my rental place waiting to close. It wasn't until I became direct and told them it needed to be done ASAP or I'm going to explore other options. Within 15 min I got a call to go down and sign.

It sucks that it led to that but remember ur taking the purchase on, they should work around u and demand they do it when you need it done.
    Last edited by ThA HoyA; 02-17-2014 at 02:27 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThA HoyA For This Useful Post:

Mood

I won't say this works for everything but when I built my home they missed the completion date of New Years eve. I gently blew a gasket with them explaining how we had plans etc. The carpet people (whose fault it was the deadline was missed) offered to carpet two areas that we had as "storage" areas.....this added about 600 sq. ft to the "finished area" of my home. We had intended to do this sometime so their offer was "gratefully" accepted.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know how you feel Spear. Our date did not get pushed back, but after being told nothing was needed the first week of my Christmas break, we got a giant list from our finance company which needed to be done in a week and a half. A big thing we did was write up a lease for home we are renting to my in-laws in order to make sure our income to output balanced right. We then had to drive half way to San Antonio from Houston to get it signed. Fortunately i was able to get everything wrapped up before the week ended and we did close on time. It is a pain but it is so worth it!

Now if we could somehow get the former owners to come pick up this big pile of mail!

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know how you feel Spear. Our date did not get pushed back, but after being told nothing was needed the first week of my Christmas break, we got a giant list from our finance company which needed to be done in a week and a half. A big thing we did was write up a lease for home we are renting to my in-laws in order to make sure our income to output balanced right. We then had to drive half way to San Antonio from Houston to get it signed. Fortunately i was able to get everything wrapped up before the week ended and we did close on time. It is a pain but it is so worth it!

Now if we could somehow get the former owners to come pick up this big pile of mail!
    I get mail to former occupants from time to time. I write in red on the letter that they no longer live at this address. Then I put it back in the mailbox, raise the flag, and let the mailman worry about it.

My wife made the decision to destroy it since it has been over a month since they moved out with no effort to retrieve any of it. All but the box with the bottles of wine which was on our doorstep the day after we closed.

Update.

So I moved in on Saturday. Just rented a truck and had a couple of friends help. I under estimated how much stuff we had and needed a second trip, but the 2nd trip was just my wife and me. Took us till 11:30pm to clear out the entire apartment and make sure nothing was left inside.

Was so damn exhausting. Definitely hiring movers next time.

Have only unboxed 3 boxes so far and that was for the kitchen. Just been too tired to do more. This weekend will hopefully get the majority of the boxes.

Cats have been so scared and skittish of everything and every little sound. They are improving. Makes me wish I never got cats. They have the easiest damn life and are truly big pussies. Never getting cats after these 2. They've ruined it for me, and they've ruined some of our furniture.

We hired movers and it was so nice. We moved some stuff ourself and we still filled the truck up. Glad you got it done. We still have boxes to unpack after a month, but we have plenty of time for it. Our cats took a few days to adjust as well, but they love having an upstairs to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    We hired movers and it was so nice. We moved some stuff ourself and we still filled the truck up. Glad you got it done. We still have boxes to unpack after a month, but we have plenty of time for it. Our cats took a few days to adjust as well, but they love having an upstairs to explore.
    The cats mostly stick to the master bedroom. When they hear the garage door open, they bolt and hide. They absolutely love laydown down up on the mantle above the fireplace.

Must be nice to get to that point already!

Granted, I'm only 25, but I'm just trying to get to the point where I can afford a home. I've calculated that I have 8 months left until I have enough liquid in my savings account for emergency (should be 6 months' salary in there at all times) while being able to pay 25% down on a house. Being young and saddled with student loans in the pursuit of your first home is rough!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post

Granted, I'm only 25, but I'm just trying to get to the point where I can afford a home. I've calculated that I have 8 months left until I have enough liquid in my savings account for emergency (should be 6 months' salary in there at all times) while being able to pay 25% down on a house. Being young and saddled with student loans in the pursuit of your first home is rough!
    Heh, try living in a city where the average cost of a place is around 600-700k. I know its the cost of living in an urban area I chose to live in, but its still a big trade off. I'll be living in an apartment until I'm 40!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post

I congratualte your levelheadedness. You'd be suprised how many I see that have no money and barely passable credit that want to buy a home. They can do it, but I wonder if they can keep it. Having gone through this housing crisis I'm amazed that the gov't still has programs to help middle low income with a "free" down payment. Seems as though letting people get in a home with barely any money out of their pocket is a lesson they didn't learn from.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I congratualte your levelheadedness. You'd be suprised how many I see that have no money and barely passable credit that want to buy a home. They can do it, but I wonder if they can keep it. Having gone through this housing crisis I'm amazed that the gov't still has programs to help middle low income with a "free" down payment. Seems as though letting people get in a home with barely any money out of their pocket is a lesson they didn't learn from.
    At least with my generation, I'm appalled by how little young people -- as a general rule, not as a constant -- seem to understand money.

My best friend is in a medical field, and I know his salary started somewhere north of $80k. He lives paycheck-to-paycheck. To each his own on how money is spent, but it blows my mind when he tells me he's late on a credit card payment and had to pay the minimum amount, when I look at the things he's purchasing instead. Doesn't have an IRA, misunderstands his 401k, etc. Again, not judging anyone, but...

I think my generation ran into a perfect storm of being told "if you don't go to a 4-year institution, you're a failure" and not having any kind of standardized financial education. At best, you might have had a semester of high school econ which focused on concepts like S&D and market elasticity instead of practical things, like loan terms, interest rates, etc. This is multiplied tenfold if you're a first-generation college graduate, as I am, and your parents don't have any familiarity with the student loan process.

I got lucky, ended up (after struggling for a few months) with a career in my field, have been able to pay back $40k of my student loan debt so far, and don't have any credit card debt since I pay off the balance each month. But I can see how other young people may be less fortunate, or caught in a tight place because they were pressured into something they never fully understood.

Personally, I'm just trying to pay off the remainder of my $20k student loan debt in the next 5 years, and own a house on the low end of whatever neighborhood I move into. Toughest part is saving up for that down payment while still keeping sufficient amount liquid and always preparing for the worst. Grew up in a family where dad lost his job often, so I'm always trying to prepared for worst-case financial scenarios. I kill myself a little inside every time I start looking at houses online, though, and see one I could fall in love with...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Mood

Do not fall in love with a house until the negotiations are over. I have a bro-in-law that is a financial consultant to corporations. He hires himself out on piecemeal work and writes his job description to include working himself out of a job. His business is to get companies to the point where they no longer need him. Shortly after Geezer Jr. graduated college he was talking to this uncle seeking finanacial advice. His uncle said he had one piece of advice that would ensure his wealth.....spend less than you make. Geezer Jr. just stood there thunderstruck....it was as if the heavens had opened up and a voice from above had spoken to him. I'm happy to say he's putting a good deal away each month. Of course being too busy to go anywhere to spend money has some to do with that.
    Congratulations again.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Seems I may have accidentally thrown a box away as we were boxing things up and putting it in the truck that was my wifes. She's pretty upset. I feel awful.

Mood

Nope pretty certain that box fell off the truck when it hit that chuckhole.
    Not your fault you weren't the one that put that box on the truck.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post: