Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2013-2014 Trade Deadline / Rumor Thread - Deadline is this Thursday 2/20

Default Re: NBA 2013-2014 Trade Deadline / Rumor Thread - Deadline is this Thursday 2/20

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We get why the Pacers would do that...but why would the Lakers make that trade? THEY DO NOT WANT TO ADD 2014-2015 Salary to their books...why would they want Copeland and Mahinmi added to their 2014-2015 books?

The Lakers can easily fill out their injury plagued roster with nobodies just to play out the season. At worst...they can get a 1st round pick ( maybe not multiple but at least one ) from the Suns and a huge Expiring in Okafor if they really wanted to dump Gasol.
    I'm think the Lakers would only consider my idea of a trade if they wanted warm bodies now and are thinking about rebuilding on the cheap for the next year or two. Why they haven't done a Gasol for Asik and Lin with Houston is beyond me. The $16 in cap next year would still lower their LT due on the additional salary they would have to pay those guys. If LAL is planning on making a big splash in the off season, then there is really not any reason for them to do anything with us. I was under the impression LAL's center was injured and with Kobe not coming back, they are just short of players for the remainder of this year. Personally, I wouldn't make my trade if I was in Bird's position.

Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA 2013-2014 Trade Deadline / Rumor Thread - Deadline is this Thursday 2/20

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I'm think the Lakers would only consider my idea of a trade if they wanted warm bodies now and are thinking about rebuilding on the cheap for the next year or two. Why they haven't done a Gasol for Asik and Lin with Houston is beyond me. The $16 in cap next year would still lower their LT due on the additional salary they would have to pay those guys. If LAL is planning on making a big splash in the off season, then there is really not any reason for them to do anything with us. I was under the impression LAL's center was injured and with Kobe not coming back, they are just short of players for the remainder of this year. Personally, I wouldn't make my trade if I was in Bird's position.
    The Lakers will have about $26 mil to spend to fill their roster before hitting the Salary Cap of $62 mil. They can add some quality Starters and fill out the roster. I also think that they will re-sign some of their quality and/or cheap Players that they have now...like Wesley Johnson, Xavier Henry or even Robert Sacre ( which will allow them to fill out their roster while going over the LT. Either way, they can completely rebuild their roster from scratch....to the point where it can be a Playoff contender...while tailoring the entire roster to the Coach that Kobe approves.

That's why I don't think that they will add any additional salary unless it's a very HIGH quality prospect that is worth keeping. They can get quality FAs at the current Market rate.....which will probably be much cheaper....compared to the overpaid price ( compared to what they can get on today's Free Agent Market ) for Players like Copeland and Mahinmi.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The Lakers will have about $26 mil to spend to fill their roster before hitting the Salary Cap of $62 mil. They can add some quality Starters and fill out the roster. I also think that they will re-sign some of their quality and/or cheap Players that they have now...like Wesley Johnson, Xavier Henry or even Robert Sacre ( which will allow them to fill out their roster while going over the LT. Either way, they can completely rebuild their roster from scratch....to the point where it can be a Playoff contender...while tailoring the entire roster to the Coach that Kobe approves.

That's why I don't think that they will add any additional salary unless it's a very HIGH quality prospect that is worth keeping. They can get quality FAs at the current Market rate.....which will probably be much cheaper....compared to the overpaid price ( compared to what they can get on today's Free Agent Market ) for Players like Copeland and Mahinmi.

Expanded trade idea involving us and the Lakers...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...40#post1789340

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    You are correct. He becomes a UFA.

Otherwise the teams could jerk guys around at the end of the rookie contracts. The team can get him on his rookie contract numbers or he becomes a UFA.
    Another note is that the team can use Bird or Early Bird rights, depending on which year they declined the team option, for no more than the salary they would have earned on the next year's option amount.

For example, in Fredette's case, he would have made $3,110,796 next season if the Kings had picked up his option. So next summer, the Kings, or whatever team he's on, can only sign him using Bird rights up to that amount. Anything more and they have to use the midlevel exception or cap space.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

http://fansided.com/2014/01/28/nba-r...terest/#!wfmD6

According to Sam Amico of Fox Sports, Danny Granger is drawing heavy trade interest around the league much of it due to his massive expiring contract.

Pacers forward Danny Granger, another impending free agent, is drawing lots of interest as the trade deadline approaches, league sources said.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'm sure he is getting interest. And teams want to ship us some bad long term contracts for him. Or, it being Sam Amico, he's just throwing **** against the wall for the umpteenth time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I would be shocked if we traded Granger

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Woj
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--t-wolves--grizzlies-discuss-deal-that-includes-chase-budinger-and-tayshaun-prince-002853548-nba.htm
    The Memphis Grizzlies are discussing a deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves centered on forward Chase Budinger and guard J.J. Barea, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Memphis wants to include forward Tayshaun Prince into the package and the deal could be expanded to include guard Tony Allen, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Components of a proposed deal are still fluid.
    There's a pocket of Grizz fans that may riot if they trade Allen.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    http://fansided.com/2014/01/28/nba-r...terest/#!wfmD6

According to Sam Amico of Fox Sports, Danny Granger is drawing heavy trade interest around the league – much of it due to his massive expiring contract.

Pacers forward Danny Granger, another impending free agent, is drawing lots of interest as the trade deadline approaches, league sources said.
    The problem is that Teams that are interested in Granger....or more specifically, his huge Expiring....is that they want it so that they can dump long-term contracts back with the Pacers....which is something that the FO doesn't want to do.

Make a note of this...cuz this is REALLY important.....the Pacers DO NOT WANT to take on MORE 2014-2015 Salary than they send out. This is because it will likely impact their ability to re-sign Lance.

When it comes to sending Granger....heck anyone....the Pacers don't want any 2014-2015 salary back PERIOD.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-17-2014 at 08:28 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I know that I would be in the minority......but I would love to get a defensive lock down Player like Tony Allen on the Team. I know that PG24 is on the same level ( if not better ), but I think that it would be beneficial to reduce some of the defensive perimeter duties of PG24 so that he can focus some more on offense. Think of what Teams like the Thunder does with Durant and Thabo.

I know that this is not possible now....but this is more of a long-term wishlist for me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

The problem is that Teams that are interested in Granger....or more specifically, his huge Expiring....is that they want it so that they can dump long-term contracts back with the Pacers....which is something that the FO doesn't want to do.

Make a note of this...cuz this is REALLY important.....the Pacers DO NOT WANT to take on MORE 2014-2015 Salary than they send out. This is because it will likely impact their ability to re-sign Lance.

When it comes to sending Granger....heck anyone....the Pacers don't want any 2014-2015 salary back PERIOD.

And therein lies the rub..........

Sports Logo

And therein lies the rub..........
    Hence why it is unlikely that Granger gets traded.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Hence why it is unlikely that Granger gets traded.
    Unless it's for players who have expirings themselves. CJ Miles for example. We have the young players to add a sweetener too. But the list is shortening. Deng has an achilles injury? No thanks. Jodie Meeks is also hurt. CJ Miles and Jimmer are healthy. Both expirings. We could also move one of our young pieces (Orlando, Solo) or Copeland for a player who can help us now. And keep Danny, and let him expire to re-sign Lance. You think Cope can net us two players? Like Cope for Jimmer and Thornton? His contract is big enough, but does Sac think Cope is worth Thornton? Jimmer is not coming back anyways, so technically, that deal is Cope for Marcus. Maybe Copeland for Afflalo? With Oladipo coming on now, he'll be starting for them by next season.

Unless it's for players who have expirings themselves.
    To further complicate things for a Granger trade, we are at the 15 man roster limit... So making an 2 for 1 or a 3 for 2 deal nearly out of the question... I dont see any real possibility that is realistic where Granger gets traded... The idea should have been officiall burried when we signed Bynum...

Sports Logo

Unless it's for players who have expirings themselves. CJ Miles for example. We have the young players to add a sweetener too. But the list is shortening. Deng has an achilles injury? No thanks. Jodie Meeks is also hurt. CJ Miles and Jimmer are healthy. Both expirings. We could also move one of our young pieces (Orlando, Solo) or Copeland for a player who can help us now. And keep Danny, and let him expire to re-sign Lance. You think Cope can net us two players? Like Cope for Jimmer and Thornton? His contract is big enough, but does Sac think Cope is worth Thornton? Jimmer is not coming back anyways, so technically, that deal is Cope for Marcus. Maybe Copeland for Afflalo? With Oladipo coming on now, he'll be starting for them by next season.
    ALL of your trade suggestions ( most of the time ) take in more 2014-2015 Salary than they send out. Ignoring that Copeland for any of these Players wouldn't work.....Thornton is owed $8.5 mil in 2014-2015......Afflalo ( who I do think is a quality Player and can't be had with just Copeland or anything else we have ) is owed $7.5 mil next seeason.

Also...don't forget that ALL of the Players that the Pacers would likely trade.......are basically "end of the bench" guys that have VERY LITTLE value. The Pacers won't net any Players of value in return for them.

FOR ALL of your trade proprosals that you do....just remember what most of us here have been saying....the Pacers DO NOT WANT TO take in MORE Salary than they send out.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Anyone we could send Copeland to that could absorb the salary (cap space / trade exception) without sending anything back?

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    Anyone we could send Copeland to that could absorb the salary (cap space / trade exception) without sending anything back?
    No one that would be interested... At least until the offseason...

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Too many sellers, not enough buyers. Teams are hoarding their first rounders like crazy.

In hindsight, did we move too soon on the Scola trade? Feels like we could have gotten more return for our pick now, with so many motivated sellers a.k.a. tankers. FWIW, I think picks have become even more overrated than there were before, so I don't mind trading ours, but maybe we could have gotten more value back. For example, the rumor right now is that the offers for Evan Turner are either Portland's 1st (via CHA) or San Antonio's 1st - both picks comparable to ours. If you figure that Plumlee was used to dump Green's salary, then Scola basically cost us the same price as Turner is going for supposedly. Scola did help us win some games earlier in the season, but he's looked like crap recently, and in any case I think Turner is better. Plus holding Turner's RFA rights, we'll have a better fallback in case Lance leaves.

Oh well, water under the bridge, but I suppose we couldn't have predicted that Scola would fall off so badly, or that our backup wings (Danny, Orlando, and Solo) would be so underwhelming.
    I agree Scola seems to have fallen off, but that really seems to have occurred since Granger came back. Once again, he's chucking up 12+ shots a game, typically hitting around 4 of them. I've been to several games before and after Granger returned and the second team (and first) just doesn't seem in sync when he's in IMHO. Not sure if or even why Cleveland would do it, but would love to see if a Deng for Granger deal could happen.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kellogg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    OKC is interested in a shooter and has a pretty big trade exception from the Kevin Martin trade. They could be a potential match as Cope would fit in to their small ball lineups pretty well. I'm not really interested in the idea of trading Cope for cap relief just yet, but if we absolutely think we need the space for Lance...

Quote Originally Posted by kellogg View Post
    Once again, he's chucking up 12+ shots a game, typically hitting around 4 of them.
    I know that the "in thing" to do is hate on Danny, but lets not make things up to further our agenda... Granger has taken more than 12 shots this year exactly once... As a matter of fact, only 6 of his 27 games has he taken double digit fg attempts... He is averaging shy of 8 fga's a game which I feel is a good number for what we want out of Danny... The issue is he is hitting below 3 of those attempts... There is no basis for a claim that Granger is a chucker this year...

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From a basketball standpoint, a business standpoint, and a loyalty and emotional standpoint:

Danny Granger isn't getting traded.

The only way that he does is if some team just shoots themselves in the foot and gives us something truly dumb in return. Future 1st round picks (2015 or beyond) or something.

If the front office is smart (and they are, it's Larry freaking Bird up there) - they are NOT going to take in ANY contract that runs past the final game of this season. Which means all we could do would be a lateral swap of Danny's expiring for another expiring.

Is it theoretically possible that we could trade Danny, an aging, recovering from injury, former All Star for ANOTHER aging, recovering from injury, former All Star?

Sure, that's theoretically possible. But WHY would we do that? Danny knows our system, he knows our plays and our personnel. He has been the face of this team for years and is well liked, despite his recent injury problems.

Would bringing in someone like (just picking one likely candidate) Luol Deng REALLY change much for us this year? Other than removing one stalwart from our locker room and replacing it with someone who is an unknown to our team, no... It really wouldn't change much.

I understand that large, expiring contracts are a valuable trade asset for certain types of franchises. Honestly though, and this has been said a thousand times here but for some reason we're still talking about it, the absolute most valuable thing about Danny's contract for the Pacers is the fact that it expires in a few months. Unless some team throws valuable future draft picks at us in exchange, there is literally NO reason to get rid of Danny.

Let him get one last chance to go out as a Pacer in a blaze of championship glory. Let his contract expire. Sign Lance. Period.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So if the Nets are interested in Hill for their injury exception worth a shot to see if they'd want Cope too. I know they're drastically different in style, but gotta at least put in the call. I'd say see about Mahinmi too but who knows if Bynum's knees will hold up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So if the Nets are interested in Hill for their injury exception worth a shot to see if they'd want Cope too. I know they're drastically different in style, but gotta at least put in the call. I'd say see about Mahinmi too but who knows if Bynum's knees will hold up.
    Yup, you make that trade as a straight up salary dump if the Nets will take Copeland's contract.

I wonder if Rondo will be a Celtic by the trade deadline

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had to reread this a few times before I realized we weren't talking about GEORGE Hill. I was going crazy for a second!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

35. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post: