Thread: Do you think we'll ever get to choose our cameras to watch the game on TV?

Default Do you think we'll ever get to choose our cameras to watch the game on TV?

I've felt for years now that I would prefer to watch NBA games using the so-called '2K camera' perspective (basically seeing one half of the court at a time, always looking at the "backs" of the offensive players as they're coming down the floor to run their offense), rather than the traditional broadcast angle, but I realize that will never become the default angle.

So what I'm wondering is, do you ever think there will come a day where I can be watching on my TV and be able to choose which camera I'm watching the game through at any given moment?

I'd like to think the answer is yes, because TNT already kind of did that with their nba.com feature (I forget what it's called), but that's on the computer, and I want it on my normal TV-watching screen, and I'd like it for every game (TNT, ESPN/ABC, NBATV, and FSN). But TVs are now more and more 'smart TV's that have wifi and overlaying Internet features, so I'd like to think that could be coming, but what do you think, and how do you think it'll actually work?

I think eventually, instead of just sending a continuous stream of one video feed per channel, eventually changing the channel is actually going to be hopping from one (equivalent to a) website to another, where by default you just instantly see, full screen, the default streaming video like traditional TV, but technically it's viewing an interactive website, where you can use your remote to then change the video from camera 1 to camera 2 or audio 1 to audio 2, or picture in picture, or four squares of pictures, that kind of thing. I think that's very do-able, if that's what the networks want to evolve into. Could be pretty cool. In theory, and there's probably legal reasons why it won't happen, but technically it could allow you to watch the ABC game but listen to one of the radio coverages instead.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Do you think we'll ever get to choose our cameras to watch the game on TV?

I'm waiting for holograms.

Think about being able to sit at the center circle if you wanted to. Or under the hoop.

Probably not in my lifetime, but it'll happen.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Do you think we'll ever get to choose our cameras to watch the game on TV?

TNT Overtime is what you are thinking of. I think something like this would have to become huge online and then attract attention for TV viewers. TV companies and shows never want to give up their control of the broadcast (to advertisers or consumers). I think our definition of TV will have to change before all of these consumer-appealing changes take place. Networks and companies are going to fight hard for every inch. Though maybe I'm just pessimistic because of Time Warner Comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    TNT Overtime is what you are thinking of. I think something like this would have to become huge online and then attract attention for TV viewers. TV companies and shows never want to give up their control of the broadcast (to advertisers or consumers). I think our definition of TV will have to change before all of these consumer-appealing changes take place. Networks and companies are going to fight hard for every inch. Though maybe I'm just pessimistic because of Time Warner Comcast.
    But wouldn't my idea still work? I mean they'd still cut to commercials, and at that point no matter which feed you choose... commercial plays.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its only a matter of time. Heck, it could be part of the next TV contract.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

Think about being able to sit at the center circle if you wanted to. Or under the hoop.

We are a lot closer than you think. In fact with enough cameras would could recreate games in a virtual reality environment. Don't think we have the processing power to do it in real time yet, in a cost effective way, but could do replays.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    But wouldn't my idea still work? I mean they'd still cut to commercials, and at that point no matter which feed you choose... commercial plays.
    I think this will happen, and our media/entertainment experiences will get more and more customized as time goes along. I'm just saying that this is a fight that the broadcast companies will lose, rather than one the customers will win, if that makes sense. I don't see it happening soon on a wide scale because of how much certain media entities and persons value their control over the delivery of content, even with commercials included.

It's a possibility for a service like League Pass on TV, though I think if LP gets big enough, the broadcasters (Fox) and the multi-service companies (TW-C) will be mighty uncomfortable with people thinking they have choices. I also think that smart TVs would be a lot smarter if these kinds of traditionalist interests didn't exist.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

wut

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I hope it happens.

TNT Overtime was great..it gives you a different perspective on how physical the game is when you can follow Marc Gasol around for a few minutes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pretty sure NASCAR does it, but through their website.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

U-verse did it for a couple of seasons with the Cubs home broadcasts and I really enjoyed it. They had the regular broadcast channel then six or seven more channels right after that with different camera views...first base and third base dugout, home plate, home plate upper deck, behind the mound, etc. Basically, each camera had its own channel.

I really liked it. The camera channels didn't cut to commercial. During commercials you'd still see that camera's shot of the field or the stands. You wouldn't hear the announcers, but you'd hear the ballpark--PA announcer, music, crowd. The downside was that the camera channels didn't have stats or graphics.

They didn't do it last season and I really missed it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Granville For This Useful Post:

(UK) Sky tv does this almost daily, footie matches you can choose out of many cameras, up to you same with wimbledon etc even nfl they just feed their camera feeds to viewer channels
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm fine with the way basketball is broadcasted. The only thing I don't like is when they switch to the under-the-hoop camera on breakaway dunks.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randolph_HorseLips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    U-verse did it for a couple of seasons with the Cubs home broadcasts and I really enjoyed it. They had the regular broadcast channel then six or seven more channels right after that with different camera views...first base and third base dugout, home plate, home plate upper deck, behind the mound, etc. Basically, each camera had its own channel.

I really liked it. The camera channels didn't cut to commercial. During commercials you'd still see that camera's shot of the field or the stands. You wouldn't hear the announcers, but you'd hear the ballpark--PA announcer, music, crowd. The downside was that the camera channels didn't have stats or graphics.

They didn't do it last season and I really missed it.
    I am surprised they didn't include the commercials, announcers, and stats. It wouldn't be complicated to do, and they wouldn't miss out commercial viewership. Sounds like someone had a great idea up there, that someone else, with more power, who really didn't care half baked it, ultimately leading to its demise. It is amazing how many great ideas seem to come out that are either half-baked, missing obvious things. Either everyone is just lazy, too stuck in focus group to think bigger or outside the box, or in some cases just purposely sabotaged in order to say it was unsuccessful so they don't lose money when it becomes popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    I'm fine with the way basketball is broadcasted. The only thing I don't like is when they switch to the under-the-hoop camera on breakaway dunks.
    I also hate when they will have the angle from the opposite baseline during a play, and when they do interviews during action also. If you don't have time to show the interview when there is a break in the action then you don't have time to do the interview at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I am surprised they didn't include the commercials, announcers, and stats. It wouldn't be complicated to do, and they wouldn't miss out commercial viewership. Sounds like someone had a great idea up there, that someone else, with more power, who really didn't care half baked it, ultimately leading to its demise. It is amazing how many great ideas seem to come out that are either half-baked, missing obvious things. Either everyone is just lazy, too stuck in focus group to think bigger or outside the box, or in some cases just purposely sabotaged in order to say it was unsuccessful so they don't lose money when it becomes popular.
    As I re-read my post it looks like I am saying the announcers were never part of it. They were, just not during commercials. There were never any graphics though.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Granville For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think the biggest objection will come from owners. Who would ever sit in the balcony or even upper part of the lower bowl if thid was available at a comparable price? Ticket sales in all but the "gotta be seen" venues would plummet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think the biggest objection will come from owners. Who would ever sit in the balcony or even upper part of the lower bowl if thid was available at a comparable price? Ticket sales in all but the "gotta be seen" venues would plummet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    I don't see that as a problem because that is already the case. People who go and sit in those seats aren't going because they get a better viewing angle than the TV, but because of the atmosphere. Being able to chose your angle isn't going to change that.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

No thanks. Have you SEEN The Lawnmower Man?? Virtual reality is bad...

Sports Logo

http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/racecontrol/
    Sky1 lets you do that in F1 you can choose the on board camera of any car its pretty cool.