Thread: NBA will use centralized instant replay center next season

Default NBA will use centralized instant replay center next season

I don't think this will make things better

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...er-next-season

Centralized replay on horizon for NBA

League execs say as soon as next season key calls could be made by officials reviewing video off site.

By next season, the NBA is planning to create and use a centralized replay center to help referees and speed up games.

"What we're in the process of doing is we're going to create a central location where we'll have people there who will be watching every game," NBA president of basketball operations Rod Thorn said Friday. "When the referees go over to the side, in many instances the [central replay center] will already know what happened and they'll be able to tell the referee, which will hopefully take less time."

The project is one of new commissioner Adam Silver's initiatives. The NBA would be mimicking a system the NHL started in 2011, when it created what is known as the "situation room" in Toronto where all goals from all games can be reviewed with calls communicated to the officials on the ice.

That experiment has been successful in shortening the time replays take in addition to removing some pressure from the referees on site.

The NFL is also studying the effects of creating a centralized replay center.

"It's still a work in progress for exactly how it's [going to work]," Thorn said. "On the line calls, like whether it's a 3-pointer or 2-pointer, or in many occasions they'll be able to tell the referee the ball was definitely [out of bounds], whatever team. That should help."

Over the last several years, the NBA has significantly expanded what is reviewable, especially at the ends of games. In addition to out of bounds calls and 3-pointers, officials can now review goaltending and even block/charge calls in the final two minutes and overtime.

In all, there are 14 things officials can review.

Default Re: NBA will use centralized instant replay center next season

It becomes better if it speeds it up. If by the time the refs pick up the phone on the bench, the guys in the central office say "Here's what happened", then it's a win. It means it's wrapping up in 30 seconds or less rather than 60-180 seconds.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

While I agree with that I also think it would fuel even more conspiracy theories "Call it this way so this team can win" after all a centralized instant replay system can be just as impartial as any human ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I agree with that I also think it would fuel even more conspiracy theories "Call it this way so this team can win" after all a centralized instant replay system can be just as impartial as any human ref.
    I don't think so, unless they start making obviously wrong calls. The fans and announcers will be watching the replay too, in most cases it will be obvious which way the call is supposed to go. It's not like this will be all shrouded in mystery.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What they really should do is have three cameras directly over the top of the court, one at center court, and one at each free throw line. Then give the ref an ear piece, so the ref on the other side can tell them instantly if it was a three or clear path foul before the ref even needs to ask. I would guess that would eliminate 90% of all reviews. The NFL needs to do something similar in order to eliminate angle bias.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    What they really should do is have three cameras directly over the top of the court, one at center court, and one at each free throw line. Then give the ref an ear piece, so the ref on the other side can tell them instantly if it was a three or clear path foul before the ref even needs to ask. I would guess that would eliminate 90% of all reviews. The NFL needs to do something similar in order to eliminate angle bias.
    A lot of stadiums already have the stat tracking cameras in place. They should just add additional functionality to them. I'm thinking more along the lines of tennis (where a computer decides if the ball was in play) than hockey.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love the idea, the NFL needs to follow suit as well, anything that speeds up those reviews is better. Hate watching reviews/commercials for 2-3 minutes+ for a call that's obvious most the time.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

The fans are never going to be happy. There will always be some conspiracy no matter what type of system is in place.
    Last edited by BenR1990; 02-15-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: re-read wha i wrote and realized it made no sense

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    A lot of stadiums already have the stat tracking cameras in place. They should just add additional functionality to them. I'm thinking more along the lines of tennis (where a computer decides if the ball was in play) than hockey.
    And I won't be surprised if those things one day do begin to assist the officials...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

If this means that flopping fines can be preliminarily handled out live and announced live to shame perennial floppers.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Basically have a bunch of Xbox Kinects set up in various places around the court communicating with each other, and being able to track 30ish people. I have thought about that too. Eventually that may be the ref instead of humans.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hasn't college football done this with a guy in the booth for quite some time? It just makes it a lot easier, then having a ref stop the game...fire up a monitor...look at a few angles and then talk it over with the refs. I've never cared for that.

I'm open to any attempt to improve the horrible officiating.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm open to any attempt to improve the horrible officiating.

I guess for me its will we see or know the people behind the centralized instant replay center or are they going to be the big brother who rules over all but we never see them.

I like the idea in theory but I'm not sure if its really going to make it better either.

I guess for me its will we see or know the people behind the centralized instant replay center or are they going to be the big brother who rules over all but we never see them.

I like the idea in theory but I'm not sure if its really going to make it better either.
    You are getting all paranoid over nothing. There is no reason why they would be more corrupt than the refs on the court. Silver doesn't have to be standing beside them when they make the decision in order to tell them what to do. Prior to the game he can simply tell them what to do if it isn't obvious.

Sports Logo

Every building has them now, the league started subsidizing them for the teams that didn't have them before.