Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NBA open to idea of expanding All Star break to a week

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA open to idea of expanding All Star break to a week

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed, but still it would be better to have it at the end so the players who are selected to the all-star game are selected for a full season of work, not half a season.
    That's what All-NBA teams are for.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

I don't know. I think most guys want to enjoy their summer spending time with their family and friends, and not thinking about basketball for a weeks. For those that are fortunate enough to make it deep into the playoffs and Finals, they'll play on...but I'm sure a lot of players shut it down, travel, and rightfully so for a bit once their seasons end. Extending the season with an all-star game, just goes against that. Asking them to shut it down then ramp it up for a meaningless game in the grand scheme of things is a bit uncalled for. NFL has it around the Super Bowl because they have a short season, MLB much like the NBA has it at the midway point because it's a very long season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Agreed, but still it would be better to have it at the end so the players who are selected to the all-star game are selected for a full season of work, not half a season.
    We care about merit now? That's what the all-nba teams are for. That isn't a good reason to move the all star game to June.

If we wanted to get a 100% accurate 24-player picture of an nba season, we wouldn't be letting the fans pick the first ten.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Well, the drag out the first round of playoffs to a ridiculous length. That could be easily shortened. Reduce the back-to-backs. Those are no good for players, paying customers, anyone. And I never have, nor ever will, like basketball being played in late June. Unless my team is playing, I just can't get into it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    Well, the drag out the first round of playoffs to a ridiculous length. That could be easily shortened. Reduce the back-to-backs. Those are no good for players, paying customers, anyone. And I never have, nor ever will, like basketball being played in late June. Unless my team is playing, I just can't get into it.
    That's fine, but basketball in June is not a new phenomenon. The finals have been ending in June since the mid-70's.

The first round of the playoffs has also been shortened already.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

They should eliminate the all-star game completely. In my opinion all-star games, in any sport, are a waste of time. The players rarely play hard for fear of getting injured, and I don't blame them a bit for that.

Just have a 3-4 day mid season "half-time" break to let the players rest and spend time with their families. Maybe they could do it Super Bowl week-end.