Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA open to idea of expanding All Star break to a week

Default NBA open to idea of expanding All Star break to a week

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...eak-to-a-week/

NBA open to idea of expanding All-Star break to a week

The All-Star weekend is a busy one — and not just for Damian Lillard (who will be in five events during the weekend).

For the players selected to the team it is a whirlwind of media events, community events, practices and, oh yea, a basketball game. Plus a few parties. Then a few more parties. You think it’s a weekend off but it’s more like that vacation your wife schedules out where she wants to see and do everything in Italy/New York/San Francisco/wherever that you are constantly running around and when it’s over you don’t feel like you rested at all.

It’s not much of a rest for the players (there is a reason Tim Duncan didn’t want to be on the team this year, the coaches granted him his wish and didn’t vote him on even though he was deserving).

Some players have brought up the idea of expanding the All-Star break to a week, including players’ union president Chris Paul, and the.

“I definitely think it’s something that should happen,” Paul told NBA.com while attending a pep rally and press conference at a New Orleans grade school, where he was inducted into the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation ambassador program.

Paul said he spoke with Silver about the possibility of a longer All-Star break.

“Obviously All-Star Weekend is all about the fans and showcasing our game to the entire world, but it would be nice to get a little break,” the Clippers guard said. “Not saying the all stars are unhappy or ungrateful for being all stars, but to enjoy your family for a couple days would be nice.”

“I said, ‘We’d be happy to look into it,’ ” Silver said. “The notion is that, in addition to the All-Star Game and the events itself, there would be a break built into the schedule. Maybe we could resume play on Thursday night, later in the week, to insure that the All-Stars got time off as well.”

Silver is more open to discussing new ideas than David Stern was, at least that’s the feeling around the league.

He’s also a negotiator. If he gives the players this what is he going to want in return?

It’s not a bad idea, a little longer breather in the NBA schedule. Just something to watch as the new commissioner and the new union president start to talk about issues of concern to both sides.

Default Re: NBA open to idea of expanding All Star break to a week

Starting on Thursday vs Tuesday isn't a major deal. But it would probably mean 1 or 2 more back to back games for each team

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Starting on Thursday vs Tuesday isn't a major deal. But it would probably mean 1 or 2 more back to back games for each team
    i would suggest that if they were to extend the break, then just extend the length of the regular season by an extra number of days. no more games just make the regular season end a bit later. teams need fewer back to backs- not more.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i would suggest that if they were to extend the break, then just extend the length of the regular season by an extra number of days. no more games just make the regular season end a bit later. teams need fewer back to backs- not more.
    I doubt they do that. They end on a Wednesday on purpose so they can start with 4 playoff games on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. if they push the regular season back two days to Friday they can't start the playoffs until Monday - they lose a whole weekend of games. They won't do that.

And as far as starting the season a few days earlier? I don't see that. They will not start the regular season on a Saturday or Sunday right in the middle of college football and NFL. I suppose they could start the season on a Friday night like they used to do. maybe even roll it out on Thursday and Friday nights. But then that is starting the season 5 days earlier than they do now.

My main point is a lot of thought goes into when to start and end the season. There are a number of factors to consider.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just extend the regular season out a week. That way, they can still start the playoffs on a weekend.

I have no problem with extending the break at all. In fact, it makes sense.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Cut off the last week of the preseason (and at least 2 games that go along with it) to make room, with the regular season starting the second-to-last week in October. Seems like the easiest way to me.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

I've always thought they should move the Hall of Fame induction to All Star week, thus giving greater significance to the weekend. Honor the old guard, then celebrate the new guard with the game itself.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I've always thought they should move the Hall of Fame induction to All Star week, thus giving greater significance to the weekend. Honor the old guard, then celebrate the new guard with the game itself.
    Yep I never understood why they have an ASG in the middle of the season I mean most of these players are expected to play in the playoffs if something happened to them injury wise how bad would that be?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

I've often wondered why the NBA don't do the ASG after the Finals like the NFL does. That gives the Fans the entire season to vote for the best performers of the season. And takes away the chance of injuries that could very well de-rail a playoff team's season. But, that probably makes too much sense for the NBA. Robbing the fans of a chance to see ESPN's favorite players show off and go to parties and play a national ytelevised game in which NOBODY plays defense would just be too much to bear.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

I wonder what it would be like if it was just after the Finals. I know I'd look forward to it more just because it'd feel like 'more basketball' with the season being over and not having seen some of those players in a month or so as well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Having it after the season makes no sense to me. You'd have players who haven't played for two months playing in the game. That'd be worse than it is now. Plus with the NBA draft and beginning of the offseason, the month after the finals is arguably one of the more exciting times of the season.

The time of the ASG is fine with me. I can only remember one player (Kobe I think) getting hurt in an ASG, and he didn't miss a game. I don't have an issue with having no Thursday before or Tuesday after games. That seems somewhat feasible.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Looks like Stern Jr. has really been burning the midnight oil with some exciting new innovative ideas.

I like the all-star game at the halfway point, the NBA season is a long season (probably too long, but that's another point for discussion). The all-star break breaks it up for me. You have the all-star break, then the trade deadline, then the rest of the season.

To the original point though, I think it makes sense to give the all-stars an actual day or two with their families. I mean guys like Roy and Paul will certainly rest more than they normally would, but I don't know if they will actually be "resting" with all of the noise and festivities.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I've often wondered why the NBA don't do the ASG after the Finals like the NFL does. That gives the Fans the entire season to vote for the best performers of the season. And takes away the chance of injuries that could very well de-rail a playoff team's season. But, that probably makes too much sense for the NBA. Robbing the fans of a chance to see ESPN's favorite players show off and go to parties and play a national ytelevised game in which NOBODY plays defense would just be too much to bear.
    The Pro Bowl has far less defense than the NBA all-star game. A game after the season would be much, much worse. Many more guys would decline, especially on the top teams. So, if the Thunder played the Heat, you would have an ASG without Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Durant, and Westbrook. Pacers make it to the finals? No ASG appearance for PG or Hibbert.

Nobody would watch that.

Why are you assuming they can just 'decline' to play in the all-star game?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

There is nothing happening in sports besides NCAA conference play. From a marketability stand point this is the prime time for the ASG. Christmas games and mid-February are solely the NBA's. Even when the playoffs start MLB is getting underway and the NFL draft pre-pre-pre coverage and the post-post-post coverage.

I usually take a break from basketball all-star weekend. I've seen enough dunks and all-star games that it's not really interesting.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Looks like Stern Jr. has really been burning the midnight oil with some exciting new innovative ideas.
    He wants the NBA to surpass the NFL which is never going to happen. I mean the only time I say it came close was when Jordan was playing.

After the Finals are over, you just might get some REAL basketball at the ASG. Make it a real bragging rights event. I would be interested in seeing the best of the East and the best of the West really play a serious game.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

I know there's already money at stake anyway, but how much money, per player, do you think it would take (meaning the money each player on the winning team would receive) in order for the ASG to become 48 minutes of competitive basketball? $500k per player? X% of their annual salary?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    After the Finals are over, you just might get some REAL basketball at the ASG. Make it a real bragging rights event. I would be interested in seeing the best of the East and the best of the West really play a serious game.
    Don't forget that there's no chance any player who would be a free agent would play in the game. So, for example, LeBron wouldn't play this year.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    Well if the NBA really cared about eliminating back-to-backs they could. All it would take would be sticking to a more rigid schedule as to what days they play.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Don't forget that there's no chance any player who would be a free agent would play in the game. So, for example, LeBron wouldn't play this year.
    Yes, because the NFL shows that FA's never play in the Pro Bowl.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The all star game during the 70's and 80's was extremely competitive. People forget that. Some extremely memorably moments until the late 90's when Jordan left the league and guys just went out with the purpose of making each other look good.

1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988. Every one of these games was a classic.

The attitude has to change. No change of format is going to make guys play hard if they don't have enough pride to want to win.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-16-2014 at 03:14 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    The all star game during the 70's and 80's was extremely competitive. People forget that. Some extremely memorably moments until the late 90's when Jordan left the league and guys just went out with the purpose of making each other look good.

1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988. Every one of these games was a classic.

The attitude has to change. No change of format is going to make guys play hard if they don't have enough pride to want to win.
    Agreed, but still it would be better to have it at the end so the players who are selected to the all-star game are selected for a full season of work, not half a season.