Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Tinsley, and other thoughts on

Default I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Tinsley, and other thoughts on

Let me first sday it is a crime against basketball that the Wizards have such a bad record, they have some talent, they should have a better record.

Let me start off on Tinsley. The man has balls. I have never criticized Tinsley's mental toughness, never ever in any of my posts the past three years.

Great job by Foster he had 8 rebounds in the last 9 and a half minutes of the game, that was huge, he had a number of big, big rebounds.

I had to take a little break from the game between the 3rd and 4th quarter, I was so furious, first time all season. So many turnovers.

Pacers need a lot more from Harrington or Pacers are in trouble and I am not talking about points, but he needs to play better.

The Wizards announcers are complaining about the refs calls, sorry guys.

Bender looked really good, great to see.,

I'll post more later

Default Re: I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Tinsley, and other thoughts

I'd like to add that Reggie Miller did get his 100th 3-pointer of the year.

That makes 15 straight seasons with 100 3-pointers in a year, of course, an NBA record.

Default Re: I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Tinsley, and other thoughts

The Wizards announcers are complaining about the refs calls, sorry guys.
    Mark and Slick said Eddie Jordan went after Leon Wood after the game. They didn't seem to know why. Slick boiled it down to "We made shots down the stretch and they didn't. That's not the ref's fault."
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

ya Tinsley is the man, and if you all still doubt the guy tonight showed he does have BIG BALLS, which is what we need. Jamaal never gets the credit he deserves from anyone, especially pacer fans. I hope he still has the nerve and balls when the playoffs come to hit the big shots.

Mood

There's a hypocricy here. Tinsley banks in the 3 after drilling another, and he has balls.

Those two shots don't go in, Tinsley still shows balls, but all anyone would say is he's an idiot who takes bad shots.

Comes with the game, I guess....

Glad we won.

And I want to see more of Jonathan Bender! Showed more than Al did tonight.

I think Carlisle needs to seriously consider giving Kenny Anderson AJ's minutes. That team was run horribly when he was in there on both sides of the ball. Didn't run any type of coherent offense and never got within ten feet of the ball when the Wizards were running all over the floor. Horrible game.

Nice to know Reggie and JT can step up together like that but they need to be careful and keep taking the ball inside. I was surprised on the Tinsley bank play that they didn't go to JO initially and see if he got doubled and work off that. Nice that the shot went in but if it had bounced off 10 feet and sparked a Washington break we might be singing a different tune.

Oh - JB you big Tease you!
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Southside_Pacer

Anybody know why Jordan was so pissed at the refs at the end of the game?

I heard Slick and Mark say that too.

well first of all, he started it with the layup. Then he hit the open 3 from the reggie drive. The last one was a heat check with the clock running down.

You can't question shot selection on those. It was the best way to win the game and he hit the shots. Cmon give the man some credit, if it was Reggie that made those in the same situation you would be freakin out about it.

I think yer just hatin

Those two shots don't go in, Tinsley still shows balls, but all anyone would say is he's an idiot who takes bad shots.
    If the ball didn't go through Buckner's legs, we wouldn't still be talking about the Curse of the Bambino. It's all what happens in the game.

I would also like to add for those of you who didn't hear.

Derrick McKey's mother passed away this week.

Prayers go out to Heavy D and his family.

There's a hypocricy here. Tinsley banks in the 3 after drilling another, and he has balls.

Comes with the game, I guess....

Glad we won.

And I want to see more of Jonathan Bender! Showed more than Al did tonight.
    Tinsley is mentally tough, I think perhaps too mentally tough for his own good over the years. But he is not afraid to take big shots, that was the point I was making.

Mood

Tinsley is mentally tough, I think perhaps too mentally tough for his own good over the years. But he is not afraid to take big shots, that was the point I was making.
    Oh you're right about that, and I didn't mean to pick on you.

I was just using it as an example of something I see in all sports: An even occurs, but it's the outcome of it that fans base their criticisms and praises on. Despite the fact that the player does the same thing either way.

What I mean is, players in all sports will do things that have 50/50 chance of either pulling off something big, or totally screwing their team over.

But depending on what happens, the fans either call it this great, clutch, smart thing. Or a dumbass, what-was-he-thinking, awful play.

Sports Logo

I was thinking the exact same thing UB. As a matter of fact in the exact same words. Tinsley has BALLS.

I would like to tackle this notion that AJ is such a good defender. I used to believe that but that was before Tins started playing. He is a better defender than Kenny maybe but he in no way a better defender than Tins.

To me if your team is up by 9 when you come in and down by 8 when you go out you did not do such a good job on D.

Whenever I point these things out people say well it was the players he was playing with. The only two players he changed were Tins and Reggie, and Reggie was missing shots. Now I agree that Reggie is important but man you have to give Tins his due.

(not you UB you started this thread by doing just that)

BTW Hicks I dont think UB was badmouthing Tins by saying he had balls. I agree completley.

Not counting the bank shot , Tinsley's best play all night was the layup late in the fourth quarter on the fast break where he split the defender and got to the hoop. I thought that basket was huge.

Mood

IBTW Hicks I dont think UB was badmouthing Tins by saying he had balls. I agree completley.
    I wasn't saying he was badmouthing Tinsley. I agree Tins has balls.

Read my last post. That's what I was trying to say.

Sports Logo

IBTW Hicks I dont think UB was badmouthing Tins by saying he had balls. I agree completley.
    I wasn't saying he was badmouthing Tinsley. I agree Tins has balls.

Read my last post. That's what I was trying to say.
    I just needed to re read it yeah I see what you are saying. It looked like you miss understood UB on first reading.

pacerchic

I didn't get to see the game and I just looked at the box score. What the hell happened with JO/Al having 11 TOs between them?

I didn't exactly see the game, so my input probably isn't all that great. But I am very impressed with Tins' shooting, very impressed. Reg played another solid game.

Go figure, it was our guards that won it for us.

I haven't had a problem until now, but I believe Kenny should be playing backup PG. AJ maybe spot minutes. Defense is lacking severly, and we need a vet presence of the bench. I really really think Kenny should start playing.

Bender played well, so I will give his dues. But I still am not convinced until he does this consistantly.

Al needs to get his *** into gear, he sucked. Terribly.

JO as well, though he didn't suck, and played well at the end. Very well in fact. Rebounded and scored well in the fourth. Good work

Fred needs to shoot more. Be more aggressive.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

pacerchic

Default Hey UB......

UB, how do you feel abuot AJ these days? I know you were a fan of his early on, and he still does some good things. Do you agree with the growing opinion that his minutes should go to KA?

Default Re: Hey UB......

UB, how do you feel abuot AJ these days? I know you were a fan of his early on, and he still does some good things. Do you agree with the growing opinion that his minutes should go to KA?

No I don't [size=9:79a4545720]Not that Kenny could not do almost as well[/size], but AJ is a good backup and I fail to see why some are saying AJ has ben playing bad recently.

I chalk up most of it to the typical backup quarterback syndrome, the longer players sit on the bench the better they get in most fans eyes.

Most everyone early in the year was very disatisfied with Kenny, I wasn't, but most others were.

My thought when he hit that second three was, "He's starting to look like a New York point guard", which, if you talk to anyone from NY, is high praise.

I'm torn on the whole KA/AJ thing. Yeah, Kenny should be playing, but in a tight game like tonight, I didn't like the idea of throwing in a point man who hasn't played real minutes in two months. We need some easy games to get him back into the swing of things. Problem is, we may not have any easy games without Ronny.

I'm convinced AJ's problem is physical. He's played like ***** ever since he tore that ab muscle. I know they said it's better, but I don't buy it. That's a kind of injury that takes a long time to heal.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tinsley is really stepping up to the plate.

Many were critical of Carlisle for benching Tinsley, but I would ask them what they think were the motivators for Tinsley's improvement.

I believe that Tinsley's better conditioning and dedication to summer workouts would have enabled him to play better, regardless of whether he was benched or not. But by starting him straight out of the gate, I believe it would have implied an acceptance of HOW Tinsley was playing. It would not have done nothing to change Tinsley's approach to the game and HOW he plays at all.

So IMO, his early benching motivated him to play ball the way Carlisle wants him to play. Namely, taking much better care of the basketball and cutting down the number of risky passes. When Tinsley finally got his opportunity, I think that point had sufficiently been droven home.

By the way, what's up with the fixation on Tinsley's BALLS that everyone seems to have this evening?

something that might be interesting for those "doubting" Tins can/could improve:

Tinsley hit 4-of-5 3-pointers. He's hitting 36 percent for the season, after hitting 26 percent during his first two NBA seasons.

"It's just me working over the summer on my shot and my body, and it's carrying over," he said. "When you work on your game in the offseason, it carries over. As a young player, I didn't understand that. But being around players like Reggie and seeing how they work, it's something I wanted to do."
    that is a 38.46 percent improvement from one year to another.
    Add to that his constant practise to get better (seems Ron's drive is rubbing off) and he will get even better, add to that the "forced" end of clock prayer shots he needs to make sometimes and this percentage is VERY good already, waiting to get better.

No one doubted Tins's court-vision and passing capabilities, but if he continues to also improve his shot, he opens up a whole new world at point for the P's.

His defense is already so much improved that we prefer him over all others we have, so I left that alone for now

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo

Many were critical of Carlisle for benching Tinsley, but I would ask them what they think were the motivators for Tinsley's improvement.

I believe that Tinsley's better conditioning and dedication to summer workouts would have enabled him to play better, regardless of whether he was benched or not. But by starting him straight out of the gate, I believe it would have implied an acceptance of HOW Tinsley was playing. It would not have done nothing to change Tinsley's approach to the game and HOW he plays at all.

So IMO, his early benching motivated him to play ball the way Carlisle wants him to play. Namely, taking much better care of the basketball and cutting down the number of risky passes. When Tinsley finally got his opportunity, I think that point had sufficiently been droven home.

By the way, what's up with the fixation on Tinsley's BALLS that everyone seems to have this evening?
    I sugested early on that Tins benching was only to teach him a lesson and that he would regain the starting job at some point because he was clearly the best pg on the team and I got shouted down.

No I don't Not that Kenny could not do almost as well, but AJ is a good backup and I fail to see why some are saying AJ has ben playing bad recently.
    You have been saying he is a good defender but I dont buy it. I think his defense stinks and I dont understand why you cant see that. He was treated like a readheaded step child by the Wizards tonight and this was not unusuall.

Most everyone early in the year was very disatisfied with Kenny, I wasn't, but most others were.
    I was one of those people but I was unhappy with him as a starter. I would much rather see him as the backup. He showed he was a good pg in Boston and he did a pretty good job as a backuo in N.O. I just think the offense runs better with him than with AJ and I dont buy the AJ is so good on D it makes up for the fact that they can not score when he is in.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ragnar -

In viewing the 5-man plus=minus team statistics, one would have to admit that the plus/minus is better with KA on the floor than AJ.

But AJ's performance with starting players is not bad at all. However, when you pair AJ with Harrington, that's when AJ's plus/minus stats begin to falter. So should we conclude that we should just keep Al out of the lineup? <Just kidding>

But, the differences between these two players stand out when you look at their individual statistics. All stats are fairly equal except for 3FG%, FT% and steals. They average about the same number of minutes per game. Turnovers, points, assists, etc. are very close.

I think that helps point out the difference between the two. KA's game is mid-range and in, he attacks the basket better. AJ's game is perimeter, he definitely is a better perimeter shooter.

I don't think either one is necessarily BETTER than the other. I just think they are DIFFERENT in their approaches to the game. And quite frankly, Carlisle should use them and their strengths as situations present themselves.

For example, with Artest out, we will probably rely on Reggie and Tinsley for perimeter shooting, with a contribution from Austin or Bender off the bench. Because we are little shorthanded on perimeter shooting without Artest, perhaps that indicates that AJ should be the one to be used in the near term. Whereas if we had Artest, then he, Reggie and Tinsley would be the shooters, so AJ could easily be used at that time.