Thread: Comcast set to acquire Time Warner Cable

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Comcast set to acquire Time Warner Cable

COMCAST SWOOPS IN TO ACQUIRE TIME WARNER CABLE | Time Warner Cable has been dodging a takeover for months, but it finally accepted another suitor with a sweeter offer. Comcast on Thursday announced an agreement to acquire Time Warner Cable in an all-stock deal valued at about $45.2 billion. The merger will unite the biggest and second-biggest cable television operators in the country, David Gelles writes in DealBook. Under the terms of the deal, Time Warner Cable shareholders will receive $158.82 a share based on Comcast’s closing price on Wednesday.

LINK
    Only thing that keeps me from dumping cable is the NFL and NBA. I love Netflix and Hulu and if I could get the games online for a reasonable price I would dump Uverse in a heart beat.

Comcast stopped by my house the other day and I barely contained myself from laughing in their face when they asked about switching to them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Comcast set to acquire Time Warner Cable

I'm not exactly a law professor, but Comcast is putting out some AT&T monopoly vibes.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Supposedly Comcast is going to divest 3 million TWC subscribers to appease regulators.

Having been a customer for both. TWC is far worse that comcast. Disgustingly terrible customer service. I can't find another provider fast enough.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-13-2014 at 11:27 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I'm a Comcast customer if I could go elsewhere I would now they're going to jack up rates for even more garbage content.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a Comcast customer if I could go elsewhere I would now they're going to jack up rates for even more garbage content.
    After dealing with them about their wireless router dying I refuse to ever have them again. The router died and I tried multiple devices trying to connect to it and those devices worked properly on other wireless routers. When I talked to Comcast they kept saying it must be faulty devices even though I clearly told them that the devices worked on other wireless signals. They continued to blow me off and never fixed the issue. My parents still have them because Uverse cannot reach and Brighthouse is not in their area. They continually get their rates jucked up and tend to just lose content half the time.

I do not understand how cable companies can get away with this stuff. We have maybe four choices here in Indianapolis. Brighthouse, Uverse, Comcast, and sattelite. Yet, Uverse is not in all areas and satellite is hit or miss depending on where you live.

AT&T customer service is a little better than Comcast. At least they fix some things.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sometimes to get over the hurdle of UVerse not being offered in your area is to just ask. We moved about two years ago to a location that supposedly didn't have UVerse, called and told them we had been a loyal customer for a couple years and didn't want to switch to anyone else. We had UVerse within two days.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

We have Uverse in my area. I'm probably making the switch.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have had Comcast, DirecTV, then Uverse, then DirecTV again. Uverse tried for 2 weeks to get my problem fixed. Everyday around 5:00 my tv would be impossible to watch. Comcast constantly jacked up my bill, dropped once I called, then raised again, with horrible customer service. DirecTV I always have weather issues, then I have noticed the bill slowly climbing.

Once my contract is up in August I am going to cancel and go with Roku/Chromecast/Computer/OTA Antenna + Hulu/Plex/Netflix/Amazon Prime. I can get by with that, most of my tv watching is recorded. I'll then get a VPN and NBA League Pass and never look back.

@Pacers24Colts12

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We had Time Warner in San Antonio and never had serious issues. When things went wrong they fixed them quickly and our moves and switching of service went well. We have Comcast now and it is no where near as good. Any time we watch an on demand movie it is choppy and usually freezes. When we moved i told them I wanted the exact stations we had at the time. They also offered home phone with it for the same price. We took it and found we were missing stations. Turns out ever time you move you open a new account. They had switched the service provided when adding the phone. It took two phone calls to lose the phone and get the stations back. i may call uverse to see if we can get a better deal.

I don't think the government is concerned with monopolies anymore. Corruption is too rampant.

They should be breaking a lot of companies apart. When you have to bail out companies cause they are too big to fail, that says something.

Most people only have 1 choice for tv/internet. Some larger cities have 2, maybe 3, but there still is only 1 choice if you want anything resembling a fast internet.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

There's a giant difference between Comcast doing this and AT&T when they were broken up. AT&T was literally the ONLY way about 95% of America could get a phone line.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    I have had Comcast, DirecTV, then Uverse, then DirecTV again. Uverse tried for 2 weeks to get my problem fixed. Everyday around 5:00 my tv would be impossible to watch. Comcast constantly jacked up my bill, dropped once I called, then raised again, with horrible customer service. DirecTV I always have weather issues, then I have noticed the bill slowly climbing.

Once my contract is up in August I am going to cancel and go with Roku/Chromecast/Computer/OTA Antenna + Hulu/Plex/Netflix/Amazon Prime. I can get by with that, most of my tv watching is recorded. I'll then get a VPN and NBA League Pass and never look back.
    Had Comcast in college, internet was nice, but the TV service sucked. Have had DirecTV at home. Always loved it, but in the end it just got too expensive. We had AT&T internet, non Uverse because some how its not available here... and that was down right terrible. So we switched to Wave Broadband for everything. TV service isn't bad, but its no DirecTV. But the internet is fantastic. When I do speed tests, it actually ends up a little faster than what we pay for. And the price we pay for everything is cheaper than what DirecTV became.

If you rates are jacked up, just call and threaten to cancel. Ask for the customer retention department. They will give you a deal to keep you.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Last time I called Comcast customer service was when a roommate moved out. We had 2 basic HD boxes and a DVR box. Needed to just cancel one of the HD boxes, so send me an empty box to ship it back. They sent an empty cardboard box and a new HD cable box. Called em, said send the old box and the new one back. Easy enough, mistakes happen, did that, should be done right? Week or so later I get 2 new DVR boxes. To shorten this, I went through I think 4 rounds of this.

I ended up shipping back I think 2 HD boxes and 4 DVR boxes in this massive like 4x4x4 cardboard box. They just kept sending me new equipment.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I ended up shipping back I think 2 HD boxes and 4 DVR boxes in this massive like 4x4x4 cardboard box. They just kept sending me new equipment.
    Meanwhile, 6 poeple are complaining in another thread on another forum that they NEVER received thiers...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    If you rates are jacked up, just call and threaten to cancel. Ask for the customer retention department. They will give you a deal to keep you.
    Or actually drop your TV service with them and wait them out. Eventually they'll send you a mailing with an offer you can't refuse. I just signed a 2 year agreement to come back to Comcast for my tv for $100 a month for 2 years. That includes their fastest internet, the X1 DVR, Digital Preferred cable (which is what I basically have now with Directv), HBO, and their version of Netflix. Personally, I could have done without the HBO, but I'm not complaining, considering I'm paying $20 a month extra for faster internet and getting the TV part for free.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Supposedly Comcast is going to divest 3 million TWC subscribers to appease regulators.
    As well as their Indiana systems according to IBJ:

http://www.ibj.com/comcast-planning-.../article/47387

This is not good. As evil as Comcast is, I'd rather do business with the devil I know (without ridiculous bandwidth caps) than the one I don't.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    As well as their Indiana systems according to IBJ:

http://www.ibj.com/comcast-planning-.../article/47387

This is not good. As evil as Comcast is, I'd rather do business with the devil I know (without ridiculous bandwidth caps) than the one I don't.
    My wife works for the Ad Sales division of Comcast here in Indy. Seriously wondering if she is gonna have a job this time year. The new cable company will be run by Charter, Comcast won't exist in Indiana.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Comcast is the worst company on earth, but they have fast internet and a freaking monopoly.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Comcast is the worst company on earth, but they have fast internet and a freaking monopoly.
    I'm wondering what will happen to those who have the Xfinity X1\Streampix package under Comcast.... They'd have to offer something similar.... I'd hope. Otherwise, this merger CANNOT be allowed to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I'm wondering what will happen to those who have the Xfinity X1\Streampix package under Comcast.... They'd have to offer something similar.... I'd hope. Otherwise, this merger CANNOT be allowed to happen.
    That's what I have. I'm starting to look into the Roku/Netflix cordcutter stuff.

Wont help a damn thing if this new company decides to do bandwidth caps.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"