Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the problem & What is your fix?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What is the problem & What is your fix?

Fair warning: Knee-jerk post. I'm frustrated and trying to let it out without my posts being littered with asterisks.

Simple questions: What do you think the problem areas are for this team, and what do you suggest we do to fix them? By "fixing" them I don't mean, "player X has been playing like crap, so let's trade him". That may be an answer to some of them, but let's try to be as realistic as possible.

Problems lately, from my perspective (and in no particular order):

1) Paul George is shooting terribly. His defense is still good, but his shots are simply not falling and it's hurting us.
    2) Turnovers. The main culprits here are Lance and PG.
    3) The bench. I'll break that down since it's pretty broad. CJ Watson has been awful lately. Luis Scola has been awful lately. Granger had a decent shooting night tonight, but by and large, his shooting has been abysmal this season. Mahinmi is a complete non-factor on offense.
    4) A sense of entitlement. We have lost that "us against the world, blue collar gold swagger" mentality. We go into games thinking that just by showing up, we are going to win. Wrong.
    5) Roy has become almost a non-factor on offense.

Fixes:

1) Really not much we can do to fix it. Paul will shoot himself out of it and will be better for it. But he has to improve his shot selection and he really needs to stop whining to the refs so much. It's having the reverse effect.
    2) For his part, Lance needs to cool it with this flashy, behind the back ****. The laser passes thrown at the heads of other players aren't good either. He needs to play under control. His talent is undeniable, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if he can't corral it. We need Bird to sit him down. PG needs to focus on ball handling and make better passes.
    3) Well, I understand Bird wanting to add a scorer. I don't know what is wrong with CJ or how to fix it besides letting him play through it. With Luis, I think we need to add some wrinkles to the second unit offense. Namely, don't resort him to a pick and pop shooter. Put him closer to the basket. Let him post guys up. Getting the ball that far out is fine if he's making his shots, but if he puts the ball on the deck he's liable to turn it over. I think Granger needs more time. We know the fix for Ian Mahinmi; we are just waiting for it to be ready.
    4) This one is on the coaching staff, Bird, and the veteran leaders (West & Hill). Really, it's on the whole team, but we need those guys to light a fire.
    5) He needs more touches. He can't get into much of a rhythm because he just isn't getting the ball in positions to score very much.

Anyway, long post, mostly just me blowing off steam. Feel free to contribute. And by no means is this a panicky, "this team doesn't have what it takes to win it all" type of posts. I still think this team will be fine and is absolutely a contender, but we are going through a rough patch and need to sort it out. Look forward to hearing what the rest of you have to say.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What is the problem & What is your fix?

Sub PG out at the first deadball in the AS game, and dont put him in the rest of the night...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

I agree with your top 5.... mostly. On #1, I'd change "shooting horribly" to "shooting horribly... and too often." He doesn't need big numbers for us to win, he just needs to hit a good percentage.

#6. Since hitting his career high last month, Lance has been infatuated with scoring, often to the detriment of the passing that defined his early success. We've got plenty of guys who can score... pass the ball!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

PG and the bench have been the big problems. I don't know whether it is knocking up the stripper, but PG doesn't look right in the head.

The bench started off the year great, but all got cold at once. I am not sure why Copeland, Sloan or others don't get some burn when Scola struggles game after game. I know Bynum isn't a savior, but damn, as bad as Ian is we need him ASAP.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

FWIW, Scola seems to agree:

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

The most obvious thing to me is that we need to play more players. Frank has a short rotation and when things aren't working there isn't much he can change up. Right now all Frank can do is say "Try harder!".

He needs to get Butler in the game for 5 minutes in the first half. If he's hitting and Paul George isn't then play Butler more. That's were I'd start. Then blend in Copeland.

Most teams shorten their rotation for the playoffs. We're not going to be able to do that because Frank is trying to play a short rotation the entire season. I hope he doesn't learn the hard way that you can't do that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Problem: Team needs a mental and physical break

fix: allstar break

14. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

My biggest issue is the sense of entitlement. All of a sudden we went from the hard working, physical/scrappy team to the type of whiney/complaining flashy team that we were built to compete against.

The rest I feel will fall into place. But that sense of entitlement is going to be our biggest detriment because we are not talented enough to play that card. We NEED to be that tough, scrappy physical team that plays together. That's how we will get to where we want to be.

But that random behind the back flashy bs needs to stop already.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Problem: Team and fans need a mental and physical break

Fixed.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

This Dallas game was just a joke.... Almost purposeful non-ball movement. They just turned it off. I agree though, they'll be recharged after the break...
    What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story

No problems as far as I can see. 12 losses at the All Star break and all but 4 of them (@Chi, @Atl, @Phx, @OKC) were close games in the fourth quarter. Not many teams in league history have dominated an entire season. As long as we start gearing it up as the playoffs approach then I'm not worried at all.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Would running more plays make a difference on the offensive end?

It seems that we fall into the habit of getting into a situation where we dribble dribble dribble, move the ball around without any real purpose and then end up with less than 8 seconds left on the shot clock where the Player is left to create something out of nothing.

Does this sound familiar?

Cuz this appears to happen all too often.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Problem: Missing too many shots

Fix: Inbound the ball to Bynum
    "Roy, Roy that little attitude you have right there bring it to game 7,
    barbeque chicken I like that when a big man talks smack..." - Shaquille O'Neal

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

I don't understand why we haven't tried to use Copeland with Scola in a slump. Mix it up Frank, or we will be the 3rd seed before you know it!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to lolwuttermelons For This Useful Post:

RWB

Mood

I agree that the whining to the refs is getting out of hand. It's pretty sickening. It seems like PG is talking to the refs after every single possession. Some times to the point where he doesn't get back on defense or go for the offensive board. He needs to cut it out. It's doing nothing but hurting our team. And i agree he needs to take better shots. At the start of the year it seems like he was getting a lot more quality looks than he is now. Idk if he is trying to shoot too many threes or what, but he needs to work on getting to the hole and also get back to his mid range game.

The turnovers need to stop. I really wish Lance would stop trying to be so flashy. I know that's part of his game, but it's hurting the team. It seems like he's really focusing on his stats way too much. We need the lance that cares more about creating for others more than how many points and assists he's going to finish with. He needs to play in the flow of the game.

I really think we need to feed the bigs a lot more as well. David West has been killing it lately. When he's playing that, I think he definitely needs to be our number one option. We need to run more plays for Roy as well. I would like to see him get at least 10 shots a game. Most games he is playing efficient, but just not getting the touches he needs. George Hill needs to work on his entry pass.

As for the bench I have no idea what's up. I think Danny is starting to come around and will continue to improve. As for Watson and Scola I think their just in a big slump and there's nothing we can do except hope they bounce out of it. We need them clicking by the time the playoffs are here. Hopefully Andrew Bynum can provide some spark to our bench offense. We desperately need it. I'd like to see a Lance play more with the second unit as well. And I am not opposed to giving Rasual some minutes here and there either, he has played really good this year in limited time.

I think this team will really benefit from the all star break and I think we will come out on fire to Start the second half of the year.

it started when Lance got more freedom and the happier lance is with Lance, the worse the offense goes.
    2nd 5 are most impacted, he simply does not distri the ball anymore, once he has it, it's game over, he goes to the hoop, dribbles 15 seconds and gives a near impossible to catch pass to one of the 2 or 3 open players who then have 0.7 seconds to hoist something up.
    he averages something like 5 turnovers a game nowadays, as one of our coaches said at the half of the Magic game, "this harlem globe trotter stuff has got to end, they need to play basketball!"

I couldn't agree more.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ball movement
    Lance show boating.
    Paul shooting.
    Turnovers.

Slow it down, play inside out smash mouth bball.
    Attack the basket more, stop shooting so many 3's Paul G....you're not Kevin Durant.
    Play more players we have a full roster.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

32. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    it started when Lance got more freedom and the happier lance is with Lance, the worse the offense goes.
    2nd 5 are most impacted, he simply does not distri the ball anymore, once he has it, it's game over, he goes to the hoop, dribbles 15 seconds and gives a near impossible to catch pass to one of the 2 or 3 open players who then have 0.7 seconds to hoist something up.
    he averages something like 5 turnovers a game nowadays, as one of our coaches said at the half of the Magic game, "this harlem globe trotter stuff has got to end, they need to play basketball!"

I couldn't agree more.
    Lance is partly to blame but you make it sound like he is the only reason. PG has to shoulder the blame first for having an awful shooting stretch and bad shot selection.

Moreover, Lance is not at fault for Scola's bad play right now (can't hit a shot and committing turnovers) and Watson's shots not going in. It's a collective thing.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Maybe these guys just aren't able to handle the success. All the media attention may just have gone to their heads. Two All-Stars, a 3rd that many feel should have been, on top of the standings, early talk of an MVP on the team, all the speculation about Lance and his $$$ and where that $$$ might come from, yada-yada ..........

Distractions. They need to all sit down, watch Game 1 & 2 from the conference finals from last year and start to play like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Problem: Team needs a mental and physical break

But this is why some folks here would like to see the bench play expanded. If the starters are beat down and the 2nd unit has lost it's edge then Butler has shown to be a quality guy and frankly the poor shooting and defense from Scola should open the door for Copeland to get some time when Scola is not producing. I have to believe Frank thinks it would hurt team chemistry and he would know. I guess only Popovich can get by pulling vets and sitting them down when they're not playing right.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

It seems that we fall into the habit of getting into a situation where we dribble dribble dribble, move the ball around without any real purpose and then end up with less than 8 seconds left on the shot clock where the Player is left to create something out of nothing.

What you are describing can and often does happen when a team is running plays. Defenses are good, they know the plays the other team is running, they try to stop plays before they develope.

So yes I do see that happen, but I contend it happens even when plays are called/run. So calling more plays IMO does not solve the problem.

Changing topics. I think Frank Vogel's biggest weakness is developing a bench. He isn't very good at it. This topic probably deserves a lot more discussion, but don't have the time right now

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I have my doubts about playing more players at this point in the season. Last year the complaint was platooning the squads. The big push this season,IMO, is to make Lance a more dominant ball handler/facilitator. We've done that, and at times it is close to great, at other times it gets out of control. Lance approaching double figure assists every game is countered by his averaging 4-5 turnovers, a lot of them totally unnecessary and through no defensive pressure at all. Behind the back, between the leg, and no look passes are nice weapons when under control. My fix is the same as a lot of others, 1. Stop the yo-yo dribbling while going nowhere. 2. Go back to the inside outside play. 3. Start the offense sooner in the clock.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

poor ball movement and TOs are the major issues. Defense was good last night, but the offense was a big time struggle
    "We want Miami"

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Travis Best would like a word.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

44. The Following User Says Thank You to ptaylor2112 For This Useful Post:

We're a great team when we share the ball and play from the inside out and we're not very good as a jump shooting team. Our big men aren't bringing the ball up so if our wings aren't giving up the ball when they're in position they can't score. You can put the lack of offense on Hibbert but I don't see it that way, it's on our wings and Vogel for not coaching them. I agree with Able that the freedom given to Lance has made us worse and I'm very concerned that he's becoming a net negative and I don't see Vogel changing his approach with Lance. Lance needs micro managed at this point, he needs a Larry Brown. To a lesser degree the same could be said for Paul. When we started the season I think Vogel or Paul said that we won't have anyone scoring 20 per game, we're just too deep. Well it's turning into the Paul and Lance show as the season progresses. These guys are jacking up way too many shots and both are getting sloppy with the ball. Lance primarily just looks uncoached to me and he really needs discipline and direction from his coach.
    I think we could get more from our bench but Frank needs to change a little for this to happen. Last night was a good example. There was no reason to play Paul and Lance 38 minutes each with a combined 33 shots they way they were both playing while giving Danny only 20 minutes and pulling him while he was hot. Bynum might help but if our wings aren't giving up the ball to Hibbert why would they to Bynum. What I'm saying is we can't get more from our bench unless Vogel gives them the minutes and plays to their strengths. It wouldn't matter who we bring in if Vogel doesn't use them properly.