Fair warning: Knee-jerk post. I'm frustrated and trying to let it out without my posts being littered with asterisks.
Simple questions: What do you think the problem areas are for this team, and what do you suggest we do to fix them? By "fixing" them I don't mean, "player X has been playing like crap, so let's trade him". That may be an answer to some of them, but let's try to be as realistic as possible.
Problems lately, from my perspective (and in no particular order):
1) Paul George is shooting terribly. His defense is still good, but his shots are simply not falling and it's hurting us.
2) Turnovers. The main culprits here are Lance and PG.
3) The bench. I'll break that down since it's pretty broad. CJ Watson has been awful lately. Luis Scola has been awful lately. Granger had a decent shooting night tonight, but by and large, his shooting has been abysmal this season. Mahinmi is a complete non-factor on offense.
4) A sense of entitlement. We have lost that "us against the world, blue collar gold swagger" mentality. We go into games thinking that just by showing up, we are going to win. Wrong.
5) Roy has become almost a non-factor on offense.
1) Really not much we can do to fix it. Paul will shoot himself out of it and will be better for it. But he has to improve his shot selection and he really needs to stop whining to the refs so much. It's having the reverse effect.
2) For his part, Lance needs to cool it with this flashy, behind the back ****. The laser passes thrown at the heads of other players aren't good either. He needs to play under control. His talent is undeniable, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if he can't corral it. We need Bird to sit him down. PG needs to focus on ball handling and make better passes.
3) Well, I understand Bird wanting to add a scorer. I don't know what is wrong with CJ or how to fix it besides letting him play through it. With Luis, I think we need to add some wrinkles to the second unit offense. Namely, don't resort him to a pick and pop shooter. Put him closer to the basket. Let him post guys up. Getting the ball that far out is fine if he's making his shots, but if he puts the ball on the deck he's liable to turn it over. I think Granger needs more time. We know the fix for Ian Mahinmi; we are just waiting for it to be ready.
4) This one is on the coaching staff, Bird, and the veteran leaders (West & Hill). Really, it's on the whole team, but we need those guys to light a fire.
5) He needs more touches. He can't get into much of a rhythm because he just isn't getting the ball in positions to score very much.
Anyway, long post, mostly just me blowing off steam. Feel free to contribute. And by no means is this a panicky, "this team doesn't have what it takes to win it all" type of posts. I still think this team will be fine and is absolutely a contender, but we are going through a rough patch and need to sort it out. Look forward to hearing what the rest of you have to say.