Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Mavericks Post-Game Thread: ****.

Mood

Default Re: Pacers/Mavericks Post-Game Thread: ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What happened to Blue Collar Gold Swagger. I miss that team
    They're busy letting the Dwight Howard-less Magic win game 1 and then losing in the second round
    Bring Danny off the bench

This is one of those games I'm less concerned about. Dallas seems to have personnel that can frustrate the normal things the Pacers like to do offensively (length with Marion on George and then no obvious post up matchup with the bigs). There are things the Pacers could have attacked and I'm sure they would have in a playoff series, but it just didn't happen enough last night. Add that with a poor shooting night and you get a bad looking loss. They had plenty of effort defensively and to me seemed to be trying to move the ball on offense last night. They just were never comfortable, which led to things like four shot clock violations!

I wouldn't be surprised if West got warned for this play, although I have no idea why he would choose to do such an obvious looking flop. I wouldn't want him to do it anyway, but between this one and the one in the playoffs last year, he isn't any good at concealing it either!

http://on.nba.com/1eS4Rgb (from nba.com game logs, it's the second clip that's 15 seconds long).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was appalled at the end of this game
    "We want Miami"

Reading the media reports from the Mavs perspective and listening to Carlisle's post game comments. The Mavs played really well, it was likely their best defense they have played all season.

I thought the Pacers effort was fine. They looked to me to be mentally fatigued, not sharp, sloppy. mentally thinking about having a few days off. That is understandable.

I'm not worried, this team is still on course for the best record in the NBA. I do wish we had more than a 2 game lead over the Heat. The heat have won a few tough games out west, so the east has gotten tight.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only way the All-Star break could have come at a better time was if it started Tuesday.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

While I get that some are overreacting, I think some are underreacting here too. I don't think you can view these performances in a vacuum. The basketball product has been consistently poor or at least underwhelming for a month now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    While I get that some are overreacting, I think some are underreacting here too. I don't think you can view these performances in a vacuum. The basketball product has been consistently poor or at least underwhelming for a month now.
    This is kind of a weird year. It seems fairly obvious that there are really only 2 contenders for the Eastern Confernce Championship, and with the Pacers being one of them, honestly, I'm just ready for the playoffs to start. That game last night was awful, but If I'm feeling sort of burnt out by the grind of the regular season, how do you think the players feel?

There is still a long way to go. If things don't start improving into March, then I'll be concerned.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

The Pacers definitely need a break. They clearly blitzed a little too hard the first 40 games of the season and the past 10 have found them wanting for energy. I am not concerned. The team seemed pretty aware of this fact last night post game. West in particular spoke of the need to get refreshed. IMO he's been aware of the *** dragging energy from most of the guys for a while and that's a big reason we've seen his production shoot up as well as his assertiveness.

Not an excuse or anything like that, but seriously an observation of what happens when you win 40 of your first 52 games. Especially when you look at our two most impressive stretches, the Pacers have a stretch where they went 16 of 17 and then starting late December they have a stretch where they won 13 of 15. Those types of stretches are very taxing. The results and impact on your play won't show up right away, but it does eventually. The break is coming at the right time for us. I wish PG was sitting out the dunk contest honestly, but whatever, he's 23, he can figure it out.

I expect to see us come out of the ASB very strong just like we did last year. If I remember correctly I think we won our first 4 games by like 26 a game? We know that this team is capable of doing that sort of thing for 10-15 games. I expect to see us go on another run like our 16 of 17 or 13 of 15 from end of Feb through March.

That is what teams like this do. I know it's hard to deal with as a fan where we don't want to see farty losses where the team looks like they all need a pot of coffee to the face, but it happens. For example, Miami was 29-14 last season before they ripped off their 27 game winning streak. Now, I'm not saying we're going to win 27 in a row, but we only have TWELVE LOSSES RIGHT NOW. It's gonna be OK guys, I promise. Welcome to having an elite NBA team where every loss makes a little less sense and hurts a little more.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

I think our team is mentally fatigued. All Star break will recharge everyone. Bynum coming in will help as well. But we do need a trade. For our bench. Starters playing too many minutes causing them to lose focus a bit. Especially Lance. We need a 10 man rotation. If we can land Deng, Miles, Thornton, Meeks, or some terrific shooter before the deadline, we'll be fine. As for Miami, I am not impressed with what they've done over the past two games. They barely beat Phoenix, and GS. Both of those teams play no defense. And don't have a legit center. Bogut and O'Neal were out for the GS game.

BTW our first 5 games after the ASB

vs ATL
    @Minn
    @MIL
    vs LAL
    vs MIL

That is with one back to back with ATL and MINN, but the really nice thing is that the Minn game is Feb 19, then the road Mil game is Feb 22, and the LAL game is Feb 25. That is a lot of nice extra rest to tack onto the ASB in terms of game spacing.

I look for a 5 game winning streak there with an average margin over 10.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The Pacers definitely need a break. They clearly blitzed a little too hard the first 40 games of the season and the past 10 have found them wanting for energy. I am not concerned. The team seemed pretty aware of this fact last night post game. West in particular spoke of the need to get refreshed. IMO he's been aware of the *** dragging energy from most of the guys for a while and that's a big reason we've seen his production shoot up as well as his assertiveness.

Not an excuse or anything like that, but seriously an observation of what happens when you win 40 of your first 52 games. Especially when you look at our two most impressive stretches, the Pacers have a stretch where they went 16 of 17 and then starting late December they have a stretch where they won 13 of 15. Those types of stretches are very taxing. The results and impact on your play won't show up right away, but it does eventually. The break is coming at the right time for us. I wish PG was sitting out the dunk contest honestly, but whatever, he's 23, he can figure it out.

I expect to see us come out of the ASB very strong just like we did last year. If I remember correctly I think we won our first 4 games by like 26 a game? We know that this team is capable of doing that sort of thing for 10-15 games. I expect to see us go on another run like our 16 of 17 or 13 of 15 from end of Feb through March.

That is what teams like this do. I know it's hard to deal with as a fan where we don't want to see farty losses where the team looks like they all need a pot of coffee to the face, but it happens. For example, Miami was 29-14 last season before they ripped off their 27 game winning streak. Now, I'm not saying we're going to win 27 in a row, but we only have TWELVE LOSSES RIGHT NOW. It's gonna be OK guys, I promise. Welcome to having an elite NBA team where every loss makes a little less sense and hurts a little more.

The way we played last night, was the way I expected us to play Monday. Because it was the 2nd half of a B2B. But the anger over the Orlando loss drove us Monday. The expected fatigue on Monday, showed up Wednesday however. But I still say we need to add two more scorers to our bench. Way back in the day, when we had Jalen and Travis....those were two guys who could get their own shots and were bonafide scorers off the bench. We need two players like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    BTW our first 5 games after the ASB

vs ATL
    @Minn
    @MIL
    vs LAL
    vs MIL

That is with one back to back with ATL and MINN, but the really nice thing is that the Minn game is Feb 19, then the road Mil game is Feb 22, and the LAL game is Feb 25. That is a lot of nice extra rest to tack onto the ASB in terms of game spacing.

I look for a 5 game winning streak there with an average margin over 10.

Should there be any trades, I think with that kind of spacing....our new player or players should join us in Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I thought the Pacers effort was fine. They looked to me to be mentally fatigued, not sharp, sloppy. mentally thinking about having a few days off. That is understandable.
    The team seemed overly frustrated as well. Frustrated at the refs, a little bickering back and forth, just like you said mentally fatigued.

I can't believe how they played its one thing to lose to Dallas but how they played was just... meh

Maybe the AS break will do them some good because that's when the push for a title really begins.

They've won their past 5 out of 7, including a near-40 point beat down against the Nuggets in the prior game.

Some of you guys get way too upset after losses. It's ridiculous.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ASkin_ANight For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ASkin_ANight View Post
    Losses don't bother me as much as the way they lost. Hard to understand how difficult it is to give effort in every game. Shots don't fall - OK. Not giving the effort into everything else - that's not right.

I'm expecting better play after the break, but with at least one more lull before the playoffs. I'm confident they'll bring it for the post season.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Losses don't bother me as much as the way they lost. Hard to understand how difficult it is to give effort in every game. Shots don't fall - OK. Not giving the effort into everything else - that's not right.
    I understand that, but even if they lose bad, they still win way more games than they lose. Sure, we can't have nights like last night in the Playoffs, but to act like last night's team is the one that'll show up(not that you're insinuating that, but there are some that do) come April is mis-representing what we've seen from this team night in and night out. Does anybody really think they're just gonna breeze into the playoffs and act like that **** is just another game in a long season?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Couldn't talk about it last night.

To call the performance caca, is an insult to caca.

This too shall pass (hopefully).

I don't want to try and pick apart everyone's performance because they were all bad, although I did think Danny shot well and Scola is really broken at the moment. His jumper is operating at Tyleresque proportions. At this rate, not picking up the option is a no-brainer. I pray he gets right leading into the playoffs because we need as many scoring options as we can get from the bench. And if it continues, I agree we need to give others mins. to look for another option.

And would it be rude to ask for the All-Star plaques back? Other than Roy playing fairly decent D last night, they were both bad. George especially was operating in the realm of excrement. If his shooting doesn't turnaround soon, the Bricklayer's Union will ask him to start paying dues. Last night, I was worried for the small children in the first few rows who might be injured from flying glass while PG was shooting.

It's like watching your cleanup hitter (and highest paid player) go thru a 9 for 50 slump. He is making a lot money and we need a lot of performance.
    Last edited by seeker80; 02-13-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ASkin_ANight View Post
    They've won their past 5 out of 7, including a near-40 point beat down against the Nuggets in the prior game.

Well then some of the players are ridiculous too. Read some of Scola's quotes after the game.

That sounds pretty consistent with some of the reactions around here. Even when we are winning, we haven't always been playing well. If the players are saying that, then I'm inclined to be at least a little concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker80 View Post
    I don't want to try and pick apart everyone's performance because they were all bad, although I did think Danny shot well and Scola is really broken at the moment. His jumper is operating at Tyleresque proportions. At this rate, not picking up the option is a no-brainer. I pray he gets right leading into the playoffs because we need as many scoring options as we can get from the bench. And if it continues, I agree we need to give others mins. to look for another option.
    He might be hurt. Again, from Candace Buckner's timeline (Btw, she is absolutely fantastic. I liked Wells, but she is a major upgrade, and she's lighthearted and makes jokes. She's a keeper.):

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by seeker80 View Post
    Couldn't talk about it last night.
    Imagine following up that performance by watching IU collapse at home to Penn State on the DVR.

Not a fun night in my house.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The fact that the Heat are closing the gap should be the motivation. Only 2 games back.
    @qandrews9428

I don't think the effort was at an all-time high, but I don't think that's the reason we lost either. I'd go with mental execution, we just looked a bit flat, and the Mavs are a savvy veteran team for the most part. They have guys like Dirk, Marion, and Vince Carter who have played in a lot of big games. That being said, I think a point could be made to get Roy more touches. 4 points? 6 shots? against a team that employs Dalembert and DeJuan Blair as its centers? The big dog's gotta eat, let's get him the ball a little more and more involved offensively.

I thought West and Hill looked pretty sharp out there tonight, but Paul maybe could lay off the shot, a tad, when he's struggling. He looks a little winded right now and hopefully he catches his breath a bit after the break.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    The fact that the Heat are closing the gap should be the motivation. Only 2 games back.

Yeah but they haven't really looked good in those games. If Phoenix and GS actually played defense? And GS had Bogut and O'Neal healthy...they'd have lost both games. Miami is a whole different team when playing teams with an actual center. Miles Plumlee, and Mareese Speights aren't scaring Lebron away from the basket. They play OKC after their game in Dallas post all-star break. Perkins and Ibaka aren't gonna let Lebron just attack the rim all day.