Thread: Derek Jeter announces that the 2014 season will be his last

Default Derek Jeter announces that the 2014 season will be his last

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Derek Jeter announces that the 2014 season will be his last

I hope that the Cap' has a great sendoff season like Rivera had. What a legendary career. Hopefully he can stay healthy this season and have a year similar to what he had in 2012. I really want to get up to the Bronx this summer and see him for a final time.

It's ironic that he's going out without A-Rod by his side. I doubt he'll shed a tear over that.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-12-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well in my mind he's in the top 5 for best players ever to play baseball
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well in my mind he's in the top 5 for best players ever to play baseball
    I love Jeter but that's a stretch. He probably just makes it into the top 5 Yankees of all time (Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, DiMaggio).

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    I love Jeter but that's a stretch. He probably just makes it into the top 5 Yankees of all time (Ruth, Mantle, Gehrig, DiMaggio).

Yeah, those four are probably the permanent Yankee Mount Rushmore.

You can certainly make an argument for Jeter at 5. You can also make it for a couple of other guys as well. Yogi Berra won 10 World Series Championships and 3 MVP's. I also think you can make an argument for Mariano Rivera. Sure he wasn't an everyday player, but his dominance gave the Yankees an incredible edge over everyone else for a very long period of time. He was basically a cheat code for the Yankees year in and year out.

But yeah, Jeter is nowhere near a top 5 all time MLB player. He's barely top 5 in his own franchise. He was excellent for a long period of time, but he was never a truly "dominant" player. No MVP's, though I will always say he should have won it on 2006. Regardless, he will go down as another legendary single digit wearing Yankee.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-12-2014 at 04:25 PM.

They are opening the season here against the Astros. Would love to go.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

I was just checking out the Yankees schedule and notice that they come to Chicago for 6 straight days in May. They play the Cubs at Wrigley for the first 2 days and then go play the White Sox for the next 4. After that, they are in St. Louis for a 3 game series. So that means that they will be in this region for a total of 9 straight days. Man, I really want to go see one of those games and see Jeter one last time. Those two Cubs-Yanks games will sell like hot cakes. They'd already be a hot ticket since the Yanks obviously don't play at Wrigley often, but you add the Jeter farewell tour to that and they will skyrocket.

I missed seeing Jeter's 3000th hit in person by one day back in 2011. Went on vacation to New York and had tickets for the Sunday game, but he hit it on the Saturday.

I hope i can go to a Yankees game in chicago or cincinnati this season to see him one last time
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I hope i can go to a Yankees game in chicago or cincinnati this season to see him one last time

The Yankees don't play the Reds in Cincy this year. They only play them in the Bronx from 7-18 to 7-20.

This year, you can catch the Yankees in St. Louis, Chicago (against both teams), Cleveland, and Detroit.

The way he's handled the NY media, pressure, and just the prestige of the pinstripes has been amazing. I can't think of someone who's been such a class act both on and off the field. He reminds me a lot of Peyton Manning in that he's just universally respected by players, fans, and coaches a like. He literally is the face of baseball, has been for quite some time, so it will be interesting to see who's the next face of baseball is. I'm glad that he's decided to go out on his own terms, when he knows it's his last hurrah, rather than see diminished play, playing time, and maybe even a change of position.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    The way he's handled the NY media, pressure, and just the prestige of the pinstripes has been amazing. I can't think of someone who's been such a class act both on and off the field. He reminds me a lot of Peyton Manning in that he's just universally respected by players, fans, and coaches a like. He literally is the face of baseball, has been for quite some time, so it will be interesting to see who's the next face of baseball is. I'm glad that he's decided to go out on his own terms, when he knows it's his last hurrah, rather than see diminished play, playing time, and maybe even a change of position.

Well said.

Things could have gotten a bit awkward if Jeter played mediocre in 2014 and wanted to return. I hope he has a great final season like Rivera. Personally, I find it interesting that he announced his retirement on Facebook instead of officially doing it through the Yankees organization. IMO, I don't think that he ever forgave the Yankees' brass with how the contract negotiations played out after the 2010 season. When Jeter was not happy with the Yankees' offer which was already higher than anything he would have received on the open market, Brian Cashman said something like, "he can see if there's something he would prefer other than this." IMO, Jeter was being unreasonable and needed to be brought back down to earth, but he holds a grudge and I don't think he ever forgave the Yanks with how those negotiations played out.

In hindsight, Jeter's agent really screwed up when he did not get him an opt out close in that 10 year contract he signed before the 2001 season. Had he been able to opt out after say year 6 or 7, he would have still been young enough where he could have cashed in big time on another huge deal. This is how A-Rod made so much money. He was able to opt out after year 7 of that 10 year deal he signed in 2001. Since he was coming off of an MVP season, the Yankees bent over and gave him another 10 years. So his original 10 year deal of insane money basically turned into a 17 year deal of insane money. Jeter and his agent could have pulled off something similar if they would have included an opt out in that 10 year contract. But since he couldn't do anything until the contract ended after year 10, he was in a position where he was old and didn't have a ton of leverage.

I wish that Jeter and Rivera could have gone out together. In 2012, Jeter had a fantastic season while Rivera tore his ACL early in the season. In 2013, Rivera had a fantastic final season while Jeter battled injuries and only played in 17 games. It's a shame that they weren't able to play together much over the last couple of seasons.

When the new Yankee Stadium opened, many said that it would be without a soul since it was without memories and history. But in it's short life, it's already had some pretty memorable moments. In it's first year, 2009, the Yankees returned to glory by winning a WS Championship with the Core 4 (Jeter, Pettitte, Posada, Rivera) all playing a huge role. It was very symbolic that those four guys who had so many championship memories at the old stadium were able to win a championship in the first year of the new stadium. It was a perfect bridging of history and Yankee tradition. Then you had the emotional sendoff to Rivera last year, and this year you will have a memorable sendoff to Jeter. Special memories are being created at the new stadium.

I'm a RedSox fan and even though I'm pretty sure it's in my DNA to despise the Yankees, I have nothing but respect for Jeter. He did it the right way from day 1 thru the end. Class act.

Now - for some Yankee entertainment - http://extramustard.si.com/2014/02/1...antle-farting/

And if you're not easliy offended, click on the "as evidenced by this letter" link. Yup - the All-American Boy.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Lmao @ that letter.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Gift Basket King

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...medium=twitter

Peyton Manning visits Derek Jeter

NEW YORK -- Derek Jeter had a special guest at batting practice Sunday morning at Yankee Stadium -- Peyton Manning.

"I came to see Derek play," Manning said. "Derek and I have been friends -- he's a couple years older than me, but we've been pretty much professionals at the same time. So I wanted to pay my respects and see him play for the last time."

Manning stood to the side of the cage and chatted with Jeter in between batting practice turns.

Major League Baseball tweeted out a picture of the two sports icons talking near the cage.

Manning, a five-time NFL MVP, also talked to New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi and a few other players.

Manning and his younger brother Eli, the New York Giants' star quarterback, were going to be Jeter's guests in his suite for the Yankees' game Sunday against the Tampa Bay Rays.

"It's the only time I'm gonna get to New York before our season starts, and they're not coming out to the [Colorado] Rockies this year," Manning said. "I wanted to see [Jeter] play in person, and get a good picture for my scrapbook."

Jeter is 29 games into his final season with the Yankees. The longtime Yankees captain, who will turn 40 in June, announced back in February that he will retire at the end of the year, his 20th in the majors.

Manning, who turned 38 in March, will be entering his 16th NFL season in the fall -- not including 2011, when he was forced to miss an entire year due to neck surgery. He returned in 2012 with a new team, the Denver Broncos, and in 2013 set NFL records in passing yards (5,477) and touchdowns (55), en route to his fifth MVP award.

Manning said he discussed retirement with Jeter.

"I feel a lot better than I thought I would coming off that surgery a couple years ago," Manning said. "When you miss a year for an injury, when you get back out there, boy you really feel rejuvenated and really just feel glad to be back out there. So I've really enjoyed the past two years, and I'm excited about this season.

"As long as I'm still enjoying the preparation part of it, as long as I can still produce and help a team -- I don't want to just be out there hanging on -- then I'm gonna keep doing it."

Manning predicted he will have a hard time deciding when to hang up his cleats.

"I hope I know when the right time is," Manning said. "I know it was a hard decision for Derek, I know it'll be hard for me. But I can tell he's at peace with it and he's enjoying this season."

The two future Hall of Famers have maintained a "unique friendship" during their respective careers, according to Manning. He estimated that he's seen Jeter play in person "probably six or seven times," including a couple playoff games.

"Derek's been to a number of Colts games through the years," Manning said, "and he's got an open invite to the Broncos games this fall after the Yankees finish their season."

As for Manning, he will be spending Monday in New York as well.

"I'm doing [the David] Letterman [show] tomorrow night, so I'm paying my respects to him, who's also retiring," Manning said, chuckling. "I'm sad to see some of these guys retiring. I'm not far behind."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Pretty cool article, thanks for posting. Glad to see Peyton pay his respects to Cap'. Two immortal icons.

What I gathered from the Manning article is that he's a Scrapbooker.

I wonder if Jeter will give him a gift basket?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...g-derek-jeter/

A fan ran onto the field last night to try to hug Derek Jeter

Derek Jeter is making his farewell tour around the majors this season and one fan wanted to make sure he got his chance to say goodbye last night. It didn’t go so well.

In the bottom of the sixth inning of last night’s Yankees-Brewers game at Miller Park in Milwaukee, a young male fan jumped out of the seats behind the third base dugout and onto the field to where Jeter was standing at shortstop. The fan, who was wearing a Ryan Braun jersey, requested a hug from the Yankee Captain and was quickly taken down by security.

Jeter told Brandon Kuty of NJ.com that he wasn’t alarmed by the fan and even warned him that he was going to get in trouble. They don’t call him classy for nothing, folks.

“He was saying he wanted a hug,” the Yankees’ captain said. “I was thinking, I wasn’t gonna hug him. That was pretty much it.”

Jeter said teammates were asking if he was scared.

“If you saw his face, he wasn’t coming out there with anger,” Jeter said. “You know what I mean? So, no, I wasn’t scared.”

Jeter just stood there for a moment before walking away, seeing the rush of security guards, dressed in red coats and khaki pants.

“I told him,” Jeter said. “I said, ‘You’re going to get in trouble.’ Then he repeated that he wanted a hug. And then I said, ‘Look out.’”

I can only assume this is what happens when your friend tells you that it’s “Hug a Derek Jeter Night” at the stadium.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Don't they mean "The Honors to Derek Jeter Show with a game playing in the background"? It got obnoxious after a while there.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

I'm so ****ing tired of him. Just retire midseason and leave us all alone.

Someone I was talking to about this ASG mentioned they couldn't believe that Tony Gwynn, Don Zimmer and Bob Welch all who recently passed weren't mentioned at all. That is rather disrespectful since they had an impact on the game too.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Any one except Derek were lucky to get mentioned.