Thread: Adam Vinateri thinks field goals over 50 yards should be worth 4 points instead of 3.

Default Adam Vinateri thinks field goals over 50 yards should be worth 4 points instead of 3.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...h-four-points/

Vinatieri said that field goals over 50 yards should be worth four points instead of three and discussed the potential for coaches to use strategy in order to try for a game-winning four-point kick rather than a tying kick from 47 yards out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Adam Vinateri thinks field goals over 50 yards should be worth 4 points instead of 3.

Interesting idea, but I think it would need to be 55 yards, maybe 60.

Default Re: Adam Vinateri thinks field goals over 50 yards should be worth 4 points instead of 3.

I don't know... The whole point of football is to gain yardage. All of a sudden you'd be adding a scenario where gaining maximum yardage on a play or series wouldn't be the most important thing. End of game scenario with a team down 4 points: You have a RB break into the clear with nobody with an angle or speed to catch him for 20-30 yards and he should get close to the red zone, maybe even into the endzone if he can break a tackle or two, or make a move, but instead he takes a knee at the 40 yard line to preserve a chance at a 57 yard '4 point' tying FG.

Ugh! I don't like it...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Adam just wants to make sure his fantasy team wins...

50 yards is too close, guys can hit that normally now. I'd say 55 at the least, preferably 60
    Welcome back George Hill!

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know... All of a sudden you'd be adding a scenario where gaining maximum yardage on a play or series wouldn't be the most important thing....
    Like taking a penalty to give the punter an extra 5 yards to work with ?? Or running a 'sweep' for -1 yard just to get the ball over to that hash-mark for a FG try ?? Falling down in-bounds to keep the clock running ?? Or not scoring just to keep the clock running ?? The same but different. Teams do things to accomplish a similar goal often enough. It's all in what gives your team the best chance to win the game.

I'm not much on any proposed scoring changes though. Just because 'it's always been like that' - doesn't make it wrong.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

how about instead of abolishing FG's like has been thrown around, we just adjust the point values from every yardage? 1 point to 30 yards, 2 points for 30-40, 3 for 40-50, 4 for 50+?

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Like taking a penalty to give the punter an extra 5 yards to work with ?? Or running a 'sweep' for -1 yard just to get the ball over to that hash-mark for a FG try ?? Falling down in-bounds to keep the clock running ?? Or not scoring just to keep the clock running ?? The same but different. Teams do things to accomplish a similar goal often enough. It's all in what gives your team the best chance to win the game.

I'm not much on any proposed scoring changes though. Just because 'it's always been like that' - doesn't make it wrong.
    None of what you mentioned is analogous to the scenario I painted.

I suppose taking a loss to line up the FG try would be close but you're not really making the FG harder, you're trying to make it easier.

The other things are all strategies for giving yourself a better chance of winning whether preserving possession or trying to pin the other team deep.

I don't like a strategy where a viable option for a team on 3rd down is to run backwards and then take a knee at the 40 yard line to kick a 57 yd FG instead of being forced to go for the endzone or kick a FG and then try an onsides kick.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Vinatieri wants to keep making a shitload of money to kick a ball a few times a week. Not that I blame him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post

The difference being, those are typically very special cases. With adding an extra point to the FG you are talking about rewarding a team for playing worse.

Personally I thought this idea of having a pinball scoring league was already here. Arena Football anyone? Damn, just quit ****ing with the game please.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OK, I'll go with him on this condition...

0-20 yards 1 point
    20-40 yards 2 points
    40-50 3 points
    50+ 4 points

EDIT:

Teams don't always play to gain yardage on every play. That aspect of the game was taken away years ago. FG angles and a bunch of other stuff cause teams to do goofy things including intentionally taking penalties already. So that doesn't seem like a reason to not entertain this.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods