Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...d=sportscenter

    Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri Tigers and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is gay in an interview with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday.

    Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud gay man."

    Sam is eligible for the NFL draft in May. Assuming that he is drafted, Sam could become the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL.

  2. #2

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Will be interesting to see if he's actually drafted.

  3. #3
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will be interesting to see if he's actually drafted.
    He will be easily without a doubt.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

  4. #4

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will be interesting to see if he's actually drafted.
    Dude was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year. He won't have a problem getting drafted. If he falls, it will be ridiculous. He's a 2nd or 3rd rounder for sure.

  5. #5
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,391

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year. He won't have a problem getting drafted. If he falls, it will be ridiculous. He's a 2nd or 3rd rounder for sure.
    If he falls it will be a sad commentary on where we are in football. If the guy nails his workouts there is no reason for his stock to fall other than him being gay.

    Good for him. I am sure most people will not care, but I am sure there will be a vocal minority that will say some ignorant stuff.

  6. #6

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    I'd draft this dude on the sheer amount of confidence this takes.

  7. #7
    Grow some nuts Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,713

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    bet this will be the first "football culture" story they don't trot Dungy out for his opinion on

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  9. #8

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He will be easily without a doubt.

    In an ideal world this announcement would not matter and everyone would be accepting and judge him on his talent alone. We don't live in an ideal world my questions about him not being drafted are based on this.

    "I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," said an NFL player personnel assistant. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."
    All the NFL personnel members interviewed believed that Sam's announcement will cause him to drop in the draft. He was projected between the third and seventh round prior to the announcement. The question is: How far will he fall?
    "I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down," said a veteran NFL scout. "There's no question about it. It's human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote 'break that barrier?'"
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...ock/?eref=sihp

  10. #9
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    The quoted part of that story is nothing more than two cowards hiding behind anonymity. They better hope they don't get named because they'll be portrayed as giant douchebags when this move gets made.
    Last edited by travmil; 02-10-2014 at 12:43 PM.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  12. #10

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    While that is true I think its a lot more common belief than people want to admit in the NFL.

    When it comes down to it I don't think teams care of a player is gay or not behind closed doors but being openly gay is another story.

  13. #11

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    NFL scout texts top 5 best locker rooms for Michael Sam: Seahawks, Patriots, Green Bay, Colts, Giants.

    --
    In other words, well-run teams with strong locker rooms who value player IQ. If stupid teams pass when ability/fit says otherwise, then it suits them right.

    Distractions? People said when Belichick signed Tebow it would be a huge distraction. He kept him until the final cut, showing that BB can manage media circuses pretty well and make football decisions based just on football ability/focus/execution. The method there was to address it up front, make the player available up front, talk about how everything you do is in the best interest of the team. Then in subsequent days when the TMZ and other goofball reporters are hanging around asking the same things, answer "we went all over that before and we have no new updates. We're here to answer questions about the next game". After about a week of the same reporters getting the same amount of non-answers, the pool of idiot reporters shrinks back down to baseline levels.

    As to Sam in New England, the sexuality is not the drawback, it's that he lacks the size of a prototypical Belichick DE.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,786

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    ROBINSON, SAM BLAZING TRAILS SEVEN DECADES APART
    Decades-old mindset still stands in the way of first openly gay NFL draft prospect

    Joe Posnanski, NBCSports.com

    SOCHI, Russia -- Anyone can be a pioneer in the sheltering comfort of history. Buck O’Neil, the great Negro Leagues player and manager, would smile because people always rushed up to say that they wish they could have stood behind Jackie Robinson in his fight to integrate baseball. They would have fought for him. Ol’ Buck would nod.

    “I know you would,” he would say, because that was Buck O’Neil, and because he loved people. But, of course, he knew better than anyone that it was so much more complicated than that. Now, Jackie Robinson is a hero. Now, Jackie Robinson is at the heart of a great American story. Now, he is taught at schools and celebrated on postage stamps, and he is the subject of a big Hollywood movie. Now, his cause is seen not only as just but as unmistakable.

    It wasn’t like that in 1947.

    One thing many people miss about that time -- the most powerful enemies of integration were not the red-faced extremists and racists who turned on fire hoses and lined the streets while shouting at black children trying to go to school. No, the real battle was being waged at the dinner tables of middle-class families, in the thoughtful conversation of universities and office buildings, in swing-set talks on the playground. There, Jackie Robinson’s cause was not viewed as unmistakable. There, the counter arguments sounded so reasonable.

    The arguments: Black players, because of their backgrounds, cannot handle the intensity of Major League Baseball (“It’s not their fault!” the more progressive would add). They don’t have the attitude or intelligence to play the game at the highest level. Some racist white teammates, you see, will not accept a black player. Team chemistry, always so fragile, will be shattered. Yes, of course, it would be wonderful if everyone was treated equally; it’s something we should all strive for, but the world is a harsh place, the world does not have only open-minded people, the world is not such a nirvana yet. And black players have their own Negro Leagues already.

    Soon, though, people told each other.

    Later, though, people said.

    Sixty-seven years later, it’s so blindingly easy to see through those infuriatingly thin arguments. African Americans lack the intelligence? White teammates would never accept them? We would never have fallen for such insanity. We would never have allowed such nonsense.

    Anyone can be a pioneer in the sheltering comfort of history.

    Sunday, an All-American football player from the University of Missouri named Michael Sam announced he was gay. The fact he made this announcement just weeks before the NFL draft is groundbreaking and unprecedented. Almost all of the people in mainstream American sports who came out did so from a different position -- after their career had finished or at the end or (in the extraordinary case of Martina Navratilova) at the height of their success.

    For Sam, though, this is just the beginning. Before the beginning, even. It seems that he did not want to announce it. He had been content living his life in relative privacy -- he had come out to his teammates at Missouri, and his friends knew, and that was enough. But as the NFL draft approached, he came to realize just how many people knew (one NFL player personnel director estimated to SI’s Peter King that 29 or 30 of the 32 NFL teams knew). And he worried (not unreasonably) that in today’s media hailstorm, he could be outed.

    “I want to own my own truth,” he told ESPN.

    That much of America’s attention these days is focused here on Russia, with its disgraceful anti-LGBT laws, is telling. Because it shifts our focus away from home. Immediately after the announcement, there were the expected reactions -- widespread and heartfelt praise for Sam’s courage and the more limited gay slurs and dismissals mostly hidden behind anonymity and Twitter handles. But, like with Jackie Robinson, the battle is not waged on the high or low ground of the extremes. It is waged in the center. And in the center you can see that the Michael Sam story -- and the story of how we see gay people in 2014 -- is extremely complicated.

    “First of all,” one NFL general manager told Peter King, “we don’t think he’s a very good player. The reality is he’s an overrated football player in our estimation. Second: he’s going to have expectations of where he should be drafted, and I think he’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to get drafted where he thinks he should. The question you will ask yourself, knowing your team, is, ‘How will drafting him affect your locker room?’ And I am sorry to say where we are at this point and time, I think it’s going to affect most locker rooms. A lot of guys will be uncomfortable. Ten years from now, fine. I think being openly gay is a factor in the locker room.”

    This quote is so remarkable, I had to print it in full. Have you ever heard any GM, on the record or on background, say such distasteful things publicly about a college football player, much less a deeply respected and much decorated one?

    Let’s see if we hit all the checkpoints.

    — Lacks the capability to play in the NFL? Check.

    — Doesn’t have the attitude to play in the NFL? Check.

    — Some homophobic teammates would not accept him? Check.

    — His presence would alter team chemistry? Check.

    — In a perfect world, it would be great to include gay football players? Check.

    — But we don’t live in a perfect world? Check.

    — Soon, though. Later, though. Say: Ten years. Check, check and check.

    Somehow, a man who has risen to the general manager of an NFL team felt comfortable saying this rubbish -- behind anonymity -- in 2014. He’s not alone. Jonathan Vilma, while making clear that he’s not homophobic, told the NFL Network’s Andrea Kremer that he wouldn’t feel comfortable with some gay player looking at him in the shower. Former NFL punter Chris Kluwe believes he was released, at least in part, because of his outspoken support for gay rights and says he endured intense bigotry from one coach. And so on.

    Michael Sam is already a pioneer. Before this season began, he told his teammates that he was gay. And then he was a leader on a Missouri team that shocked everyone, went 12-2, reached the SEC Championship game, played in the Cotton Bowl. He led the SEC in sacks. He was named the conference’s defensive player of the year. He was quietly but proudly gay and his teammates -- young men who come from all sorts of backgrounds and undoubtedly have all sorts of feelings about homosexuality -- rallied around him.

    We already live in a world where this can happen. We shouldn’t wait for history to make it obvious.

    (NBCSports)
    This is the darkest timeline.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,947

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In an ideal world this announcement would not matter and everyone would be accepting and judge him on his talent alone. We don't live in an ideal world my questions about him not being drafted are based on this.



    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...ock/?eref=sihp
    Haha, I'd like to see what player personnel assistant tell Sam he isn't a "man's man" to his face. Sam could probably beat the **** out of that guy, sounds like some front office nerd who has never played sports.

  18. #14
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,899

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha, I'd like to see what player personnel assistant tell Sam he isn't a "man's man" to his face. Sam could probably beat the **** out of that guy, sounds like some front office nerd who has never played sports.
    I cant remember who tweeted it this morning but it was something along the lines of "any player will tell you the last person you want to ask what an NFL locker room is like is an nfl personnel guy"

  19. #15
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,391

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha, I'd like to see what player personnel assistant tell Sam he isn't a "man's man" to his face. Sam could probably beat the **** out of that guy, sounds like some front office nerd who has never played sports.
    I just face palmed when I read that quote. So you are saying the defensive player of the year from the SEC, which is the best conference in the country, is not man enough to handle the game? On another board people who say crap like this were whining about being called ignorant. People get in their head that when you have a gay guy you are getting Jack from Will and Grace or Cam from Modern Family.

    This NFL front office guy has probably never been around a gay person in his life and has that stereotype stuck in his head.

    Ignorance will be Michael's worst enemy in all of this.

  20. #16

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just face palmed when I read that quote. So you are saying the defensive player of the year from the SEC, which is the best conference in the country, is not man enough to handle the game? On another board people who say crap like this were whining about being called ignorant. People get in their head that when you have a gay guy you are getting Jack from Will and Grace or Cam from Modern Family.

    This NFL front office guy has probably never been around a gay person in his life and has that stereotype stuck in his head.

    Ignorance will be Michael's worst enemy in all of this.
    Semi OT: Cam was actually a football player although I don't find him nearly as stereotypical as Jack from W&G who was incredibly irritating.

  21. #17

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NFL scout texts top 5 best locker rooms for Michael Sam: Seahawks, Patriots, Green Bay, Colts, Giants.

    --
    In other words, well-run teams with strong locker rooms who value player IQ. If stupid teams pass when ability/fit says otherwise, then it suits them right.

    Distractions? People said when Belichick signed Tebow it would be a huge distraction. He kept him until the final cut, showing that BB can manage media circuses pretty well and make football decisions based just on football ability/focus/execution. The method there was to address it up front, make the player available up front, talk about how everything you do is in the best interest of the team. Then in subsequent days when the TMZ and other goofball reporters are hanging around asking the same things, answer "we went all over that before and we have no new updates. We're here to answer questions about the next game". After about a week of the same reporters getting the same amount of non-answers, the pool of idiot reporters shrinks back down to baseline levels.

    As to Sam in New England, the sexuality is not the drawback, it's that he lacks the size of a prototypical Belichick DE.
    In terms of draft prospects, I was a fan of Sam for the Colts before he came out. He reminds me a lot of Robert Mathis. Spending a year or two learning behind Mathis would be huge for him. Our locker room and small media market would also help the off-the-field stuff. I have to say I disagree about the Giants though. Even if New York has a good locker room, they're still in New York.

  22. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay


  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:


  24. #19
    Grow some nuts Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,713

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that's an old white dude from Texas, for all you guys that love stereotypes. he also played a big role in Craig James Killing Five Hookers. Seriously though, he was one of the guys that took down SMU.

  25. #20
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,603
    Mood

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    If he would somehow fall to the Colts we would be crazy not to take him. If he falls past the first round any team gets a steal when they pick him.

  26. #21

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    “If the NFL has no morals and no values, then Congress must find values for it.”

    Lobbyist Jack Burkman said Monday that he’s preparing legislation that would ban gay players from the NFL.

    “We are losing our decency as a nation,” Burkman said in a statement. “Imagine your son being forced to shower with a gay man. That’s a horrifying prospect for every mom in the country. What in the world has this nation come to?”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ers-seriously/

    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  28. #22
    Member Downtown Bang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    576

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    He had really mediocre numbers at the combine yesterday. 4.9 40, 25" vert, 17 reps on the bench. Might drop to the 5th round especially since he likely can't play standing up and is mostly viewed as a situational pass rusher even in a 4-3 defense.

  29. #23
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,391

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “If the NFL has no morals and no values, then Congress must find values for it.”

    Lobbyist Jack Burkman said Monday that he’s preparing legislation that would ban gay players from the NFL.

    “We are losing our decency as a nation,” Burkman said in a statement. “Imagine your son being forced to shower with a gay man. That’s a horrifying prospect for every mom in the country. What in the world has this nation come to?”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ers-seriously/

    It is people like this that drive me insane. They play the persecution card when people call them bigots and ignorant, but that is because they want to ban people from doing stuff because they are different. Defending marriage almost makes sense even though they completely ignore the rampant divorce rate in this country, but wanting to ban from playing professionally because they are different has hate and ignorance written all over it. I seriously cannot wait to here the separate but equal line come out of one these people.

  30. #24
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,756

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Fascists suck.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

    What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

    Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

  31. #25
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN: Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers Says He's Gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “If the NFL has no morals and no values, then Congress must find values for it.”

    Lobbyist Jack Burkman said Monday that he’s preparing legislation that would ban gay players from the NFL.

    “We are losing our decency as a nation,” Burkman said in a statement. “Imagine your son being forced to shower with a gay man. That’s a horrifying prospect for every mom in the country. What in the world has this nation come to?”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ers-seriously/

    I think discrimination against idiots should be the only legal form...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •