Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Pacers get Rondo in a trade?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Could Pacers get Rondo in a trade?

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/02...do-in-a-trade/

If Rajon Rondo is truly available, there is one team where he’d be such a good fit that it might make the Miami Heat the second choice among oddsmakers to win the NBA title.

And if Larry Bird can get his hands on Rondo, the Indiana Pacers would be that team.

Word was spreading on Twitter yesterday that Celtics GM Danny Ainge was seeking two unprotected first-round draft picks in any deal involving Rondo, and I tweeted my immediate reaction.

If #Celtics truly want 2 unprotected first-round picks for Rondo, I’d imagine Larry Bird has already called offering that and more.

— Chris Sheridan (@sheridanhoops) February 17, 2014

I discussed this possibility even further in this interview with Chris Moore and Brian Jones of CBS Sports Radio, also offering my thoughts on the possibility of Carmelo Anthony and/or Kevin Love getting moved (no and no).

But let’s delve into the Rondo to the Pacers possibility, and see if it could make sense for both teams. Scroll down below the media player for more.

_
    First, the Celtics would want to move Gerald Wallace’s contract in that deal, and the salaries for Rondo and Wallace add up to $22.06 million.

_ Second, two unprotected first-round picks from the Pacers are not the equivalent of, say, two first-round picks from the Bucks. So my guess would be that Indiana would have to throw in a third first-rounder (and they could not include their 2014 pick, since that is already going to the Phoenix Suns)

_The Celtics would not want any onerous long-term salary commitments in this deal, but they would want a serviceable player if they had to take back a second player aside from Danny Granger ($14.02 million expiring deal). That player could be George Hill, who earns $8 million in each of the next three seasons.

Here’s how it would look, courtesy of the ESPN Trade Machine:
    http://i2.wp.com/www.sheridanhoops.c...size=829%2C428
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Could Pacers get Rondo in a trade?

Gerald Wallace on the books for 3 years? I think not.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, trade Hill and three firsts for Rondo and Gerald Wallace? BAAAAAAAARRRRRFFFFFFF!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Would Granger, Scola, Copeland work instead of Hill?

Not a ****ing chance in hell.

No way we take Wallace's contract.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Would negate the ability to resign Lance next season without going over the cap. Call me when we become the Nyets.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boston wouldn't trade one of the best players in the game for a bunch of table scraps. If they are willing to trade Rondo, they would want at least one very good player and multiple draft picks. There is just no way that the Pacers could land Rondo without giving up a single starter. Other teams would blow our offers out of the water.

I've always been a big Rondo fan. I feel that most of the "team wrecker" accusations against him are a bunch of unsubstantiated BS, and I have a hard time believing that Danny Ainge would have held on to him for 8 years if they were remotely true. The guy has been a winner for a long time and is a big reason that the Big 3 era lasted a couple of years longer than it was originally supposed to. Two years ago, I would have been willing to trade quite a bit to land Rondo. That being said, things are different now. Rondo is coming off of an ACL injury, and while he has looked solid in his first ten games back, I doubt that he is completely back to his old self until next season. Secondly, the Pacers went to Game 7 of the ECF's last year and have the number 1 seed in the East right now. One of our main attributes is that our core players have three years worth of playing with each other now. We know each other inside and out. Rondo would drastically change the dynamics of this team. Maybe it would work, but that's a pretty big risk to take when you have been pretty close to perfect like the Pacers. Hill defers to PG and Lance, but Rondo is the type of PG that has to dominate the ball at all times.

It just wouldn't be worth the risk right now given that he is only ten games in to a recovery from injury, as well as the fact that the Pacers have been so great. I'm all for trying to upgrade the bench and bring in a better scorer if possible, but the starting lineup should remain intact. Also, as mentioned above, wouldn't Rondo almost kill the ability to re-sign Lance? Rondo just doesn't make much sense here right now, and I say that as someone who has always been a big Rondo fan.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-19-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Would you want those 3 guys for anything? Me neither.

The only serious assets we would have to offer for Rondo are DG's expiring contract, Lance, and maybe George Hill (plus a few picks) Any type of trade for Rondo would include DG's expiring and future first rounders plus either Lance or Hill.

Any other combination simply isn't feasible.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Hill + Stephenson > Wallace + Rondo

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Rondo is a great player, and I wanted him on our squad for a long time, but it no longer makes sense. Our current style of play on offense uses Lance and Paul as the ball dominant players while Hill is more of a complimentary off-ball player. Add Rondo now and you're forced to change the system, which is probably not something you should do, halfway through the season, when having the best record in the league...
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Since we're on the subject...this works. Pacers/Celtics/Jazz/Raptors. In this trade, we get Rondo and a half season rental of Marvin Williams. Utah gets Olynyk and Green from Boston. Solo from Indiana, and Novak from Toronto go to Utah as well. Celtics get Lowry from Toronto, Granger from Indy, Hayward from Utah, Copeland from Indy, Amir Johnson from Toronto, and George Hill from Indy. Raptors get Avery Bradley from Boston, Gerald Wallace from Boston, and Brandon Bass from Boston.

ttis.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/2rww02o.png

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Since we're on the subject...this works. Pacers/Celtics/Jazz/Raptors. In this trade, we get Rondo and a half season rental of Marvin Williams. Utah gets Olynyk and Green from Boston. Solo from Indiana, and Novak from Toronto go to Utah as well. Celtics get Lowry from Toronto, Granger from Indy, Hayward from Utah, Copeland from Indy, Amir Johnson from Toronto, and George Hill from Indy. Raptors get Avery Bradley from Boston, Gerald Wallace from Boston, and Brandon Bass from Boston.

ttis.jpg
    Why on earth would Toronto do this lol

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Why on earth would Toronto do this lol
    Well lets review......

Avery Bradley for Lowry is a wash. Lowry might be the better offensive player, but Bradley is the better defender. Plus Avery has had many 20 point games. Oh, and Lowry isn't re-signing with them (Toronto). Bradley brings defense to an offensive-minded backcourt currently with Lowry and DeRozan. Amir Johnson vs. Brandon Bass. Bass is better imo. Steve Novak vs. Gerald Wallace. Wallace is a more hard-nosed defensive player. Novak just shoots. Wallace has a long range shot too. Not as good as Novak's, but Crash gives you more on the defensive end.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    Gerald Wallace on the books for 3 years? I think not.
    Yeah....no kidding......he's owed $10.15 mil per season between now and the 2015-2016 season. Add in that the Pacers would have to add in three 1st round picks while guaranteeing to lose Lance and likely Hibbert ( in the 2015-2016 offseason when he opts out )....this trade suggestion makes little sense for the Pacers for the long term.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

You get a Thanks for referencing Good Luck Charlie ( yes, I have a 5 year old that watches this show ).

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Yeah....no kidding......he's owed $10.15 mil per season between now and the 2015-2016 season. Add in that the Pacers would have to add in three 1st round picks while guaranteeing to lose Lance and likely Hibbert ( in the 2015-2016 offseason when he opts out )....this trade suggestion makes little sense for the Pacers for the long term.

Wallace goes to Toronto in this deal. We get Rondo, and a half season rental of Marvin Williams, who's an expiring. Gerald Wallace actually has 2 years left on his contract. Because ESPN TM says Danny has a year left on his deal. But he's an expiring now. So you subtract a year. Gerald has 2 FULL years left. They're also moving Novak in this deal, who has just as many years left as Gerald does. So you're trading Novak's hardly-ever-seen (because he's always on the bench)....offense for Gerald's defense.

Well lets review......

Avery Bradley for Lowry is a wash. Lowry might be the better offensive player, but Bradley is the better defender. Plus Avery has had many 20 point games. Oh, and Lowry isn't re-signing with them (Toronto). Bradley brings defense to an offensive-minded backcourt currently with Lowry and DeRozan. Amir Johnson vs. Brandon Bass. Bass is better imo. Steve Novak vs. Gerald Wallace. Wallace is a more hard-nosed defensive player. Novak just shoots. Wallace has a long range shot too. Not as good as Novak's, but Crash gives you more on the defensive end.
    Gerald Wallace has one of the worst contracts in the NBA and has been a disaster this entire season in Boston, have you watched him at all? He is quite possibly the last player in the NBA that I think Masai Ujiri would want on his team that he is building there.

Amir Johnson is averaging 10 and 7 and has started 47 games for a team that is 29-24, also he shoots nearly 55% from the floor. Bass gives you similar numbers, but does it on a worse shooting % and on a worse team this year (I.E. More opportunities)

But this does not even begin to address your most egregious claim which is that Bradley and Lowry are a wash. I don't even like Kyle Lowry as a player and even I think that is ridiculous. They shoot nearly an identical %, but Bradley averages a measly 1.4 APG, Bradley was such a disaster as a decision making PG that he was moved to the 2 in favor of Jordan Crawford at the 1. Jordan Crawford! Lowry averages more points, more rebounds, and more assists ON A BETTER TEAM and Avery Bradley's defense is living off of a rep from one 3 game stretch in the playoffs from before he tore his ACL.

Also, for the record, I think Indiana is the only team in your trade that would actually maybe do the proposed deal.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    You get a Thanks for referencing Good Luck Charlie ( yes, I have a 5 year old that watches this show ).
    My sisters love it.

Gerald Wallace has one of the worst contracts in the NBA and has been a disaster this entire season in Boston, have you watched him at all? He is quite possibly the last player in the NBA that I think Masai Ujiri would want on his team that he is building there.

Amir Johnson is averaging 10 and 7 and has started 47 games for a team that is 29-24, also he shoots nearly 55% from the floor. Bass gives you similar numbers, but does it on a worse shooting % and on a worse team this year (I.E. More opportunities)

But this does not even begin to address your most egregious claim which is that Bradley and Lowry are a wash. I don't even like Kyle Lowry as a player and even I think that is ridiculous. They shoot nearly an identical %, but Bradley averages a measly 1.4 APG, Bradley was such a disaster as a decision making PG that he was moved to the 2 in favor of Jordan Crawford at the 1. Jordan Crawford! Lowry averages more points, more rebounds, and more assists ON A BETTER TEAM and Avery Bradley's defense is living off of a rep from one 3 game stretch in the playoffs from before he tore his ACL.

Also, for the record, I think Indiana is the only team in your trade that would actually maybe do the proposed deal.

I imagine Avery is still good but his game has fallen off thanks to so many changes in Boston. Kids probably just needs a fresh start. And as for Toronto, well.....I'd rather have Bradley as my starting PG than Jeff Teague. Who they were rumored to be interested in.

Sports Logo

Wallace goes to Toronto in this deal. We get Rondo, and a half season rental of Marvin Williams, who's an expiring. Gerald Wallace actually has 2 years left on his contract. Because ESPN TM says Danny has a year left on his deal. But he's an expiring now. So you subtract a year. Gerald has 2 FULL years left. They're also moving Novak in this deal, who has just as many years left as Gerald does. So you're trading Novak's hardly-ever-seen (because he's always on the bench)....offense for Gerald's defense.
    The Real NBA doesn't work like some NBA 2k14 game where you can plug in Players to make a trade work.....you have to take into consideration what Teams goals's are for the short/long-term, how Players Salary/Contracts impact those goals and overall value that a Player has on the Market. Wallace's contract is a huge negative to most Teams. No team would want him on their books for various reasons.

Also.....I know that it's a matter of opinion when it comes to evaluating Players....but I think that you have a tendency to overvalue and undervalue Players Trade value.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

YOU WOULD RATHER HAVE AVERY BRADLEY THAN JEFF TEAGUE?

Again, I repeat, Bradley averages 1.4 APG in 30 MPG.

Also, when were the Raptors ever interested in Teague? That was the Knicks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if it's been said yet but the Pacers traded their 2014 draft pick in the Scola trade. That means that they cannot trade their 2015 pick. However, they shouldn't be trading anymore 1st round picks because you never know when a George Hill or Tim Hardaway Jr. quality player will fall to you late in the 1st round. There's no way a team should ever trade 3 1st rounders unless they are getting a top-15 player in return. Rondo, as much as I love watching him play, doesn't fit that description anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

YOU WOULD RATHER HAVE AVERY BRADLEY THAN JEFF TEAGUE?

Again, I repeat, Bradley averages 1.4 APG in 30 MPG.

Also, when were the Raptors ever interested in Teague? That was the Knicks.

In the Knicks rumors earlier in the week, Teague was going to Toronto, Lowry to the Knicks. Hawks were gonna get a package of garbage. Hence why the trade didn't happen.