Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Pacers Magic Post Game Thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Magic Post Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, for the most part I was pretty encouraged by Paul's game, but that last play just soured me. Foul or no foul, right or wrong, reality is he shouldn't expect a call there, so we're left with his decision to go one on three in a scramble rather than making a smarter decision, and that just... ugh. I don't care for it, I'll put it that way.
    This has me wondering if the coronation to superstardom from game 7 last year to being one of the top vote-getters in the All-star game is making Paul just a wee bit over-confident. I've been seeing him after almost every missed shot bark to the officials instead of running back on defense. And last night, besides the last play of the game, he had another possesion where he was playing 3 on 1. He's turning into Melo and expecting Lebron calls.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pogi View Post
    This has me wondering if the coronation to superstardom from game 7 last year to being one of the top vote-getters in the All-star game is making Paul just a wee bit over-confident. I've been seeing him after almost every missed shot bark to the officials instead of running back on defense. And last night, besides the last play of the game, he had another possesion where he was playing 3 on 1. He's turning into Melo and expecting Lebron calls.

But shouldn't Frank have called a timeout? You got the golden turnover, call timeout and set up a play.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    But shouldn't Frank have called a timeout? You got the golden turnover, call timeout and set up a play.
    There's room on either side. They had Orlando scrambling, calling a time out allows the Magic to get back into proper defensive assignments/placements. Not calling a timeout, leaves them in a vulnerable position. Had PG hit the shot, I'd imagine we'd be talking about how great it is for Vogel to leave the game in the hands of his players and allow them to instinctively play.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    There's room on either side. They had Orlando scrambling, calling a time out allows the Magic to get back into proper defensive assignments/placements. Not calling a timeout, leaves them in a vulnerable position. Had PG hit the shot, I'd imagine we'd be talking about how great it is for Vogel to leave the game in the hands of his players and allow them to instinctively play.
    Also, that would've been our final time-out. Which probably would've left us with an inbounds play of everyone scrambling and maybe turning the ball over, or, a more contested shot at the last second.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    He probably thought the same thing I did....that after Paul crossed over half-court that he would make a smart play.

I generally believe not calling a timeout in that situation is a better idea than calling a timeout. A timeout helps the defense more than the offense.

A scamble situation is almost always better than a play coming after a timeout.

I think George Hill made a big mistake, why he stopped at the three point line, I'll never know. If he would have kept going all the way to the basket, at the very least would have drawn a defender his way and opened it up for PG. (we didn't need a three and sure I understand drawing a defender away from the basket, but the Magic weren't scared with the Hill spotting up from 23 feet with PG and West inside of 15 ft) And who knows why Watson was in the dead corner. If he would have gone to the basket that might have opended up a lot of things.

I agree with Quinn, we take too many threes on the fastbreak. And I'll criticize Vogel for this because on a last second play we had two guys stop at the three point line when we didn't need a three and we didn't need spacing. They stopped instinctively, because that is the way they are coached. (not saying it isn't a decent option at times, but we do it too much)

Or if PG had given the ball up early to Hill, maybe they could have gotten the defense out of position a little which would have opened up a pass back to PG. (although I know the clock was winding down. PG took the shot with 4.2 seconds lef, so there was some time for 1 pass or two quick ones.

Bottomline on that last play and after looking at it a dozen times today, pacers shou;ld havbe gotten a better shot than they ended up with, and they should have gotten a better shot than a wide open three from George Hill (or Watson) Pacers had a 4 on three, and in the end we allowed their three to guard our two because two of our guys just stopped. Pacers had enough time to get a wide open 15 ft shot or even a open shot in the lane.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-10-2014 at 04:18 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I think in that situation at most you want to make one pass to an open shot to give yourself a chance for a tip in if it doesn't go in. 2 passes, even quick ones, would have taken it down too much where it would be unlikely to get a second chance on a miss.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Vogel is so good coming out of a timeout. They score so often, so easily after a TO. Would have liked to have seen them give it a shot instead of the crapola that they ended up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Bottomline on that last play and after looking at it a dozen times today, pacers shou;ld havbe gotten a better shot than they ended up with, and they should have gotten a better shot than a wide open three from George Hill (or Watson) Pacers had a 4 on three, and in the end we allowed their three to guard our two because two of our guys just stopped. Pacers had enough time to get a wide open 15 ft shot or even a open shot in the lane.

I believe that one pass to Hill was all that was needed. Any wide open shot in the NBA is a very good shot and in
    GHill's hands that was almost as good as a layup. If he had gone to the hoop with the way the whistle is swallowed in those circumstances he would have never scored anyway. Plus there was still time for a rebound if Hill had missed.
    No timeout was needed and would not have presented any better shot that what George Hill had.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post: