Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Magic Post Game Thread

Mood

Default Re: Pacers Magic Post Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It wasn't a good play. I think there is plenty of truth to the theory that he gets caught up in playing hero ball.

But it isn't like he hasn't shown that he is capable of succeeding with that style of play. We got to overtime in Sacramento, and nearly pulled off the win in regulation last night with it. I'm all for moving the ball, and playing the normal offense, but there are times where you need a guy who can just go up and get his own. Paul can, and has done that. Mainly, I just like that he's willing to take those kind of shots.
    But the Sacramento game was an out of bounds play with him coming over a screen. This was just wild and IMO out of control.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    But the Sacramento game was an out of bounds play with him coming over a screen. This was just wild and IMO out of control.
    I'd have to watch the play over again, but for the most part I'd take my chances with a contested Paul George pull up from the elbow (that's now I'm remembering it, might be wrong) over a lot of other options. At the time, I thought Frank should have immediately called a timeout when we got the steal, but when he didn't and things were in scramble mode, I didn't feel like the shot we got was all that terrible.

Does anybody have a video of the last play?

Mood

I'd have to watch the play over again, but for the most part I'd take my chances with a contested Paul George pull up from the elbow (that's now I'm remembering it, might be wrong) over a lot of other options. At the time, I thought Frank should have immediately called a timeout when we got the steal, but when he didn't and things were in scramble mode, I didn't feel like the shot we got was all that terrible.

Does anybody have a video of the last play?
    NBA.com has really improved; you can now see video of every shot attempt:

http://on.nba.com/MDr712

Two wide open guys, both good shooters (CJ in the corner, Hill on the wing), to his right.

If Paul is capable of both (and maybe he is not?), I'd rather he try to be less like Kobe, and more like LeBron, in a situation like this.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Two wide open guys, both good shooters (CJ in the corner, Hill on the wing), to his right.

If Paul is capable of both (and maybe he is not?), I'd rather he try to be less like Kobe, and more like LeBron, in a situation like this.
    Ill take a wide open hill versus snybody on this team triple teamed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

On the very last play I don't have a problem with what Paul George did. Sure two guys were wide open, but they were at the three point line, not like they were wide open under the basket. Passing the ball to either Hill or Watson would have been OK also. I wish West would have flared out to the corner a little bit and he would have been open for a 15ft jumper, but I understand him trying to get into position for a rebound.

I think what PG did was certainly within the realm of a good decision. Was it the best decision? That is debatable.

Was PG tripled teamed? Certainly not when he was dribbling near the three point line. When PG trook the shot Big Baby came from behind, doubt PG even knew he was back there. Vuc comes out from inside the lane. And PG beats Afflalo.

I have watched and re-watched the play about 8 times in the past couple of minutes. Still don't think it was a horrible, awful or even a bad play. I'll stick with maybe not the best play, but still not a bad play. And yes Big Baby fouled him.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-10-2014 at 11:41 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

George Hill had a better shot, and unlike a lot of people, I'm totally comfortable with him taking a shot like that. I don't think he could have gotten the ball to CJ.

I can't begrudge Paul too much for it though. It was a split second decision, and I think that's generally a decent shot for him. Although he clearly was well defended, and the other guys weren't, I don't mind him wanting to win the game. I also think Glen Davis fouled him, but it all should have been a moot point with Lance Stephenson shooting 2 free throws with 8 seconds left after Davis hammered him on the inbounds.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Last time I checked (a few seconds ago) Pacers still have the best record in the NBA. After reading this thread, I was beginning to wonder. Sure we want them to play better all the time, but best record in the NBA is what we want and that is what we have. We have two home games before the break, if we win those two that will give us the best record in the NBA and would put us on pace to win 65 games. Not too bad.
    Problem is they gave this game away and that's just not suitable for a team that has put it out there they are taking that 1st seed from Miami. Now they're going to have to work harder to get some other away game to make up for it.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Mood

Oh well. Our 39-11 record, which seems like crap to us right now, would still be good for the best record in the league during the 50 game lockout season of '99. Two games better than the 37 win Spurs who won the championship.
    Bring Danny off the bench

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersForever View Post
    ASSES TEAM TURNOVERS NOT AN INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS.
    I'm honestly confused by this. Someone specific is responsible for assing team turnovers???

George Hill had a better shot, and unlike a lot of people, I'm totally comfortable with him taking a shot like that. I don't think he could have gotten the ball to CJ.

I can't begrudge Paul too much for it though. It was a split second decision, and I think that's generally a decent shot for him. Although he clearly was well defended, and the other guys weren't, I don't mind him wanting to win the game. I also think Glen Davis fouled him, but it all should have been a moot point with Lance Stephenson shooting 2 free throws with 8 seconds left after Davis hammered him on the inbounds.
    I didn't even notice Big Baby fouling Lance until you said something. Usually I just ignore stuff like that, but did nail him, but we got the ball, so I guess i am usually just play on. . If you watch the last play Big Baby is like a bowling ball rolling across the court. First he takes out Lance and then PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    On the very last play I don't have a problem with what Paul George did. Sure two guys were wide open, but they were at the three point line, not like they were wide open under the basket. Passing the ball to either Hill or Watson would have been OK also. I wish West would have flared out to the corner a little bit and he would have been open for a 15ft jumper, but I understand him trying to get into position for a rebound.

I think what PG did was certainly within the realm of a good decision. Was it the best decision? That is debatable.

Was PG tripled teamed? Certainly not when he was dribbling near the three point line. When PG trook the shot Big Baby came from behind, doubt PG even knew he was back there. Vuc comes out from inside the lane. And PG beats Afflalo.

I have watched and re-watched the play about 8 times in the past couple of minutes. Still don't think it was a horrible, awful or even a bad play. I'll stick with maybe not the best play, but still not a bad play. And yes Big Baby fouled him.
    Can't say it was the worst decision ever, or even a very bad one, but I wouldn't consider it even in the realm of a good decision. Paul just isn't that good yet for that to be considered a good decision. I think he can be in a couple years, but not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Can't say it was the worst decision ever, or even a very bad one, but I wouldn't consider it even in the realm of a good decision. Paul just isn't that good yet for that to be considered a good decision. I think he can be in a couple years, but not yet.
    I don't agree with that. Even if he was the best player in the league, I don't think it would be a good decision. But I don't think it was a bad one.

I don't agree with that. Even if he was the best player in the league, I don't think it would be a good decision. But I don't think it was a bad one.
    Durant I would actually be ok with taking that shot. But his offensive skills are special

He's the best player on our team, I think you make the choice to put the ball in his hands and live with the decision he makes. Simple as that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacers record in the first 30 games

25-5 .833 win %

The next 20 games

14-6 .700 win %

Heat first 30

23-7 .766 win %

Heat next 19 (they've only played 49)

12-7 .631 win %

The team we are most likely to face in the eastern finals is facing the same issues we are and playing worse ball. I don't see how on earth this discussion even gets this far. What would be enough?
    Last edited by travmil; 02-10-2014 at 12:07 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Pacers record in the first 30 games

25-5 .833 win %

The next 20 games

14-6 .700 win %

Heat first 30

23-7 .766 win %

Heat next 19 (they've only played 49)

12-7 .631 win %

The team we are most likely to face in the eastern finals is facing the same issues we are and playing worse ball. I don't see how on earth this discussion even gets this far. What would be enough?
    The Heat are not facing the same problems. They have lost a key starter many more games than us. And we have only picked up 1.5 games on them

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    The Heat are not facing the same problems. They have lost a key starter many more games than us. And we have only picked up 1.5 games on them
    Again, what would be enough? How many games should we pick up on them?

Maybe not ALL the same issues, but some issues certainly. The season is long, teams get a lot of time to break you down and see what you do, make adjustments, The Pacers are now the hunted rather than the hunter. They get the other teams best effort, when the game is close that other team is bound to smell blood, hoping to be one of the 11 that has taken down the Pacers. We will see how the final 32 games play out, but even if they drop to .600 win % over the final 32 games that's still 59-60 wins. I dont' think they'll drop. I think they will get it figured out and stay where they are. They have shown they can get things figured out and move past them so we will see. I'm not nearly as worried about the play of any one member of the team as I am about the continuing turnover problems coming from all angles. Thats the one stat they won't get past in the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersForever View Post
    Yes it must be terrible that the best team in the NBA will play against an NBA team on any giving night facing the same offence challenges that it faced the game before but your short-term memory prevented you from remembering.
    So you're saying that you couldn't stand watching George Hill run the offense on Friday against the Portland Trailblazers? Hill had 8 assists and 1 turnover. The Pacers shot 46% from the field, including 39% from the 3-point line and they scored 103 through 4 quarters which is more than their season average.

It was a bad loss and I'm not happy about it either but I don't understand why anyone would complain about Hill when he had a great game on Friday and he played pretty well throughout the game against Orlando as well. He finished with 12 points on 5-11 shooting and dished out 7 assists with only 1 turnover.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Mood

The good part is, I think we'll look sharper again after the all star break. This team needs to pause and regroup.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

We need to make the half court offense a tad more simple again. Stop with the over dribbling, then pass at the last second when you realize there's no way to get off a good shot.
    Nail meet hammer.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Danny has converted very well when taking it to the rim and he's hitting his foul shots. His shots aren't falling but he is playing very good D, passing well and moving well with the ball. It's not all bad and he's helping the team now. I'd like to give him more time before deciding what kind of player he's going to be come playoff time.

I understand, but at what point is enough time? 32 more games? My feeling is in the next dozen or so games if Granger hasn't found his game you can't feel he'll find it in the playoffs. If he can't contribute more than 35 & 31% shooting, the other parts aren't that great to make up the difference. This is why I feel Butler should be getting PT as a hedge against Granger not finding his game and giving some rest to PG and Stephenson as well.
    JMOAA

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I understand, but at what point is enough time? 32 more games? My feeling is in the next dozen or so games if Granger hasn't found his game you can't feel he'll find it in the playoffs. If he can't contribute more than 35 & 31% shooting, the other parts aren't that great to make up the difference. This is why I feel Butler should be getting PT as a hedge against Granger not finding his game and giving some rest to PG and Stephenson as well.
    JMOAA

Just trade him. His expiring could net you two good pieces. I'd really like us to send Danny and one of our young players (Solo/Orlando) to Cleveland for Deng and Miles. I imagine Cleveland would do it to get a young prospect back.

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    He's the best player on our team, I think you make the choice to put the ball in his hands and live with the decision he makes. Simple as that.
    Then be prepared to lose to Miami again. If your game plan is to rely on your best player, the team with the best individual player is going to win, and you are playing right into the hands of the Heat and Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    JMOAA
    Even at 35% Granger is a better player overall player than Butler. Danny's shot has been inconsistent, but he is still contributing at a high level in other ways. If you want to worry about someone's shooting % worry about Scola. If he isn't shooting well he doesn't offer much except for some rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Just trade him. His expiring could net you two good pieces. I'd really like us to send Danny and one of our young players (Solo/Orlando) to Cleveland for Deng and Miles. I imagine Cleveland would do it to get a young prospect back.
    :

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

LOL! I only posted that because word on the street is the Cavs are open to trading everyone except Kyrie these days. Might as well get in on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Then be prepared to lose to Miami again. If your game plan is to rely on your best player, the team with the best individual player is going to win, and you are playing right into the hands of the Heat and Thunder.
    I don't think it's that black and white. I guess what I was trying to say from a coaching standpoint it was the right choice, but Paul George has to(and I think will in the future) make a better choice himself.