Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers Magic Post Game Thread

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers Magic Post Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mad-Mario View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    20 games is more than a slump, and is something to be concerned about. Especially from a guy who is going to be 34 come playoff time
    I don't agree with much Mad, but I have to agree with this. I'm VERY concerned about his major drop off. If it continues much past the all-star break, I'd like to see Copeland get some burn at backup PF. He can't play any worse than Scola has for the last month. Not just Scola's shooting has been bad, he's a turnover machine too.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

PG giveth, PG taketh away...

BUT if he would've hit that shot somehow someway,we would've went nuts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was the worst play to end the game all year. Paul George had to be the hero and get on SC with a game winner. It isn't about you Paul, its about the ****ing team. Pass the ****ing ball to the open teammate. Basic fundamental basketball. Superstar my ***
    David "And One" West

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This was one of those losses where you are so mad you just sit and clench your jaw, giving the stare of Medusa at the television.

Myself and several other posters made the comment when they cut our lead from 17 to the 13-11 range "Don't take these guys lightly. They don't give up!"

Sure enough. We make enough dumb, cute passes that lead to turnovers, and their young guns get a bit of momentum and BOOM! 17 point lead turns to 7 point deficit.

Disgusting effort and composure during that 3rd/4th quarter stretch. Then yes, PG hit a couple big shots to get us back into the game despite trailing by 5 with under a minute to go.

And you can all say what you want about the whole "We didn't deserve to win this game" ******** (my stance on this mindset is well documented), but tonight both the Pacers and the officials pulled the proverbial trigger together on the pistol to our foreheads. Coach Vogel allowing the momentum to CRUSH us for an extended time before calling timeout!? Davis somehow forcing a jump ball on West?! West NOT getting the jumpball on that "timeout" by Afflalo/Vaughn?!?! And who can forget Paul George getting no call on a triple-teamed hack at the buzzer when he also had several WIDE open teammates?!

Simply awful decision making. Simply shameful officiating late in the game. Simply inexcusable loss.

But, at least we had a few cute turnovers that would have been REALLY nice highlights!
    Show me the hack of Paul George on the last play of the game. Come on. Ridiculous. The Big Baby West jump ball wasn't a good call, but it ended up benefiting us so... The play where they got the timeout on the supposed jump ball, Paul George was completely raking the arms. Should have been a foul. I know you struggle to be objective sometimes, but the Pacers did not lose the game due to the referees.

A good test is, how often do you sit there and think, wow, that was a foul on the Pacers but we got a lucky break. Doesn't seem to happen much. Again, this is a fan forum, and we are all allowed our specific opinions, but it's seemingly almost every loss that is because of the ref's in your mind.
    @qandrews9428

You can insult and ridicule me all you want. But Scola and Mahinmi are playing like ***. Bird and Walsh agree with me or else they wouldn't have given Bynum a million dollars.
    It was just a joke bro. No ridicule or insult intended. I think Mahinmi is doing what he does...great defensive effort, decent on the boards...hit or miss offensively (mostly miss). And Scola has been struggling for over a month and really isn't contributing much right now.

You're not totally off base

I don't really care about the shot selection by Paul George at the end, he was tackled by Glen Davis and it should have been a foul. West was actually in decent position for a rebound, so a shot going soft off the rim would have given him a chance at it.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Scola is Tyler Hansbrough. Bird made a bad trade. Wish we still had Plumlee
    David "And One" West

TRADE EVERYBODY
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I don't really care about the shot selection by Paul George at the end, he was tackled by Glen Davis and it should have been a foul. West was actually in decent position for a rebound, so a shot going soft off the rim would have given him a chance at it.
    They haven't been calling that at the end of games for the most part all year

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Show me the hack of Paul George on the last play of the game. Come on. Ridiculous. The Big Baby West jump ball wasn't a good call, but it ended up benefiting us so... The play where they got the timeout on the supposed jump ball, Paul George was completely raking the arms. Should have been a foul. I know you struggle to be objective sometimes, but the Pacers did not lose the game due to the referees.

A good test is, how often do you sit there and think, wow, that was a foul on the Pacers but we got a lucky break. Doesn't seem to happen much. Again, this is a fan forum, and we are all allowed our specific opinions, but it's seemingly almost every loss that is because of the ref's in your mind.
    I never said we lost the game due to the referees. I did say that the awful officiating in the final minute, coupled with the MORE egregious poor judgement on our part, lost us the game.

Yes, the Davis/West jumpball ended up helping us. But not because of the call itself. Because Davis WON the tip and tipped it badly and we got lucky. That call could have just as easily ended the game then and there if they had retained possession and made a basket.

I can see what you're saying with the Afflalo timeout. You could definitely make the argument PG was reaching, but at the same time he wasn't being slap happy in there. He got his hands down and Afflalo wasn't really making much effort to move the ball, so the officials let the defender reach for it. So ok, if you want to call a foul there, so be it. But the LAST thing that was, was a timeout. West had his hands on that WAYYYYY before.

So, at the end of the day, yes I agree with you mostly. Every game every team gets some calls they shouldn't. And once again, I'll state that my record on this topic isn't a secret, in the final minute or so of games these calls have elevated significance. Whether people want to admit it or not. Those significant calls and no calls tonight really hurt our ability to get that extra possession or that extra stop we needed.

We compounded that by taking poor shots. That's on us.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

The Magic did beat the Thunder the other day as well so I'm not as upset over this loss as I probably should be I do think the Pacers are feeling themselves a bit too much here. This loss might be a good thing if it brings them down to Earth a bit.

Anyone else getting annoyed that our bench has been so bad yet one of the most productive Pacers per minute played this season can't get off the bench?

I mean Rasual has proven to be a great role player yet we are remaining loyal to a unproductive players and it is getting annoying. Hell Cope has a chance to be a high impact guy too but we also refuse to give him a chance. I think our great record has made Vogel reluctant to try to mix anything up but our great record is not because of our bench he needs to realize our bench needs mixing up maybe not permanently but at least from game to game give different guys a chance our bench production certainly can not get worse.

They haven't been calling that at the end of games for the most part all year
    So you're saying they haven't been calling obvious fouls at the end of games all year?

Besides, a foul is still a foul. They were making up for Lance's flop on the last 3 or 4 whistles of the night. Paul George was contesting possession of Jameer's dribble when the timeout was called, Davis didn't even come close to having possession of the ball with West, and then a timeout was called from the opposite end of the court while Paul was fighting with Afflalo for the ball.

For the refs to suddenly swallow their whistle and let the players decide the outcome after they controlled the action the previous 5 or 6 possessions....that's far more inconsistent than a game to game trend of allowing contact.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 02-09-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    So you're saying they haven't been calling obvious fouls at the end of games all year?
    No, they haven't been. Kevin Love was mugged by Shawn Marion a few months ago without a foul. That was the worst
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    No, they haven't been. Kevin Love was mugged by Shawn Marion a few months ago without a foul. That was the worst
    That one the NBA ended up having to admit they missed, right?

As much as NBA officiating drives me crazy, I do have to admit that they have an awfully difficult job, especially late in games.

There does seem to be a double standard when it comes to what contact is or isn't allowable on a drive to the basket or a jumpshot in the final seconds of a game when compared to the other 47 minutes and 45 seconds or so.

Sometimes it goes in our favor, sometimes it hurts us. Tonight it hurt us.

But this isn't just me being a homer. Pacergeek is right, this happens all over the league on a nearly nightly basis.

Not to make excuses because there are none. But there are always a game or two you lose after you lead by 15 plus points midway through the third.

Really hope we win the next two leading to AS break

i always like to go back at the point the pacers have their biggest lead and see what happens". That us when you either have to build on the lead, or sustain for as long as you can
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-10-2014 at 08:19 AM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Officiating is a lame excuse as to why we didn't win. The bottom line is we had TWO opportunities in the final minute of the game to either take the lead or tie the game and we did not execute well in either situation. Better now to learn from our lack of execution than in a playoff game where the loss counts MUCH more. We will learn from out mistakes, move on, and be ready to avenge an earlier season loss when Denver comes to our place tomorrow.

QUOTE=Dr. Hibbert;1785733]So basically, unless Scola is hitting his mid-range shot or unless Granger is hitting threes, both players are essentially worthless? Oh boy!

Though I agree with Brunner that the Pacers aren't using Scola correctly at all. Need to flip what they're doing between Scola & Mahinmi.

Granger...I know he can still have the occasional great shooting night. But for the most part, I've seen in almost half a season nothing that leads me to believe he's an impact player for this team.[/QUOTE]

yeh, maybe they aren't using scola most effectively. but as far as danny goes....
    well, it is 2 dozen games in now. and so far, it doesn't look good for him at all in my opinion. perhaps he can turn a corner (I'm seriously starting to doubt that though) because besides the fact that every season his fg% just keeps going incrementally down (i don't count last year and his 5 game sample) this year it is gotten much worse.
    tonight he was 2-8
    he is shooting 35.6% (not counting tonight's game) from 2 and 31.6% from 3. those numbers are simply bad. it bums me to say this because he has been a valuable player for the team over the years but, he has not been much of a help since his return. i don't have confidence in his shooting anymore. at this point, if i were another team, i wouldn't offer him even half of what he is making today.

thinking about lance now....
    there are times when his bold, attacking nature can be a vital boost to the team. but, it can also backfire like it did tonight. bad lance likes to show up when the pacers have built a solid (but obviously not insurmountable) lead. this often occurs when the pacers get up by 14 or more points. at that point he seems to figure that we can afford to risk some buckets for the sake of the fancy sportscenter pass. and he will keep trying it again and again. i wish he could cool it with all the hotdogging. that's the 2nd game in a short span where he dished out 5 turnovers with only 3 assists. i didn't see much of the game but i did see back to back turnovers by him with those stupid passes. frank had better address this SOON.

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    QUOTE=Dr. Hibbert;1785733] of what he is making today.

there are times when his bold, attacking nature can be a vital boost to the team. but, it can also backfire like it did tonight. bad lance likes to show up when the pacers have built a solid (but obviously not insurmountable) lead. this often occurs when the pacers get up by 14 or more points. at that point he seems to figure that we can afford to risk some buckets for the sake of the fancy sportscenter pass. and he will keep trying it again and again. i wish he could cool it with all the hotdogging. that's the 2nd game in a short span where he dished out 5 turnovers with only 3 assists. i didn't see much of the game but i did see back to back turnovers by him with those stupid passes. frank had better address this SOON.
    I have to put that on Vogel almost as much as Lance. There is no reason for Lance to play 39 minutes in this game with the depth we have. As soon as he made his first careless turnover Vogel should have sit him down and talked to him. The way Vogel is letting Lance run wild at times scares me. Here we have a young man needing some discipline in his game and direction from his coach and it doesn't look like that's the plan with Vogel.
    Frank needs to reduce Lance's minutes and get him to play with more control. If it cost us some of the energy Lance brings then all I can say is Lance needs to grow up.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I have to put that on Vogel almost as much as Lance. There is no reason for Lance to play 39 minutes in this game with the depth we have. As soon as he made his first careless turnover Vogel should have sit him down and talked to him. The way Vogel is letting Lance run wild at times scares me. Here we have a young man needing some discipline in his game and direction from his coach and it doesn't look like that's the plan with Vogel.
    Frank needs to reduce Lance's minutes and get him to play with more control. If it cost us some of the energy Lance brings then all I can say is Lance needs to grow up.
    yeah, i think frank has gotten to relaxed with lance. at one time i sometimes wondered if he had him on too tight a leash but now i think it has gone the other way. it is time for frank to get him under control again.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VideoVandal View Post
    Anyone else getting annoyed that our bench has been so bad yet one of the most productive Pacers per minute played this season can't get off the bench?

I mean Rasual has proven to be a great role player yet we are remaining loyal to a unproductive players and it is getting annoying.

I would have made a substantial bet after Butler scored 10 pts in a come from behind game that Vogel wouldn't play him the next game, and he didn't. Granger played 21 min shot 2-8 for 5 pts and 1 reb.

I don't know about what others think, but Granger's play so far hasn't impressed me whatsoever. I didn't expect Allstar play, but I did/do expect more than what he's given. I see no reason not to play Butler. JMOAA

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    QUOTE=Dr. Hibbert;1785733]So basically, unless Scola is hitting his mid-range shot or unless Granger is hitting threes, both players are essentially worthless? Oh boy!

Though I agree with Brunner that the Pacers aren't using Scola correctly at all. Need to flip what they're doing between Scola & Mahinmi.

Granger...I know he can still have the occasional great shooting night. But for the most part, I've seen in almost half a season nothing that leads me to believe he's an impact player for this team.
    yeh, maybe they aren't using scola most effectively. but as far as danny goes....
    well, it is 2 dozen games in now. and so far, it doesn't look good for him at all in my opinion. perhaps he can turn a corner (I'm seriously starting to doubt that though) because besides the fact that every season his fg% just keeps going incrementally down (i don't count last year and his 5 game sample) this year it is gotten much worse.
    tonight he was 2-8
    he is shooting 35.6% (not counting tonight's game) from 2 and 31.6% from 3. those numbers are simply bad. it bums me to say this because he has been a valuable player for the team over the years but, he has not been much of a help since his return. i don't have confidence in his shooting anymore. at this point, if i were another team, i wouldn't offer him even half of what he is making today.

there are times when his bold, attacking nature can be a vital boost to the team. but, it can also backfire like it did tonight. bad lance likes to show up when the pacers have built a solid (but obviously not insurmountable) lead. this often occurs when the pacers get up by 14 or more points. at that point he seems to figure that we can afford to risk some buckets for the sake of the fancy sportscenter pass. and he will keep trying it again and again. i wish he could cool it with all the hotdogging. that's the 2nd game in a short span where he dished out 5 turnovers with only 3 assists. i didn't see much of the game but i did see back to back turnovers by him with those stupid passes. frank had better address this SOON.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Granger. For a year and a half, all you heard was wait until Granger gets back. Well, he's back, and I'm still waiting.

Green was crufixed for his poor shooting and yet nothing is said about Granger's shooting. Anyone truly think Granger could be having the season in Phoenix that Green is?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So…..this was a Team loss right?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Just some observations about the game.

Hibbert only took "4" FG!! Hitting 3 of them.

Pacers got out reb'd by 7.

Pacers were 11-19 from the FT line.

Sloppy lackadaisical play killed the Pacers in the 4th qtr. It cost the Pacers the game more than anything else.

PG hasn't got it figured out it's a TEAM game, and he's NOT the team.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    \

So…..this was a Team loss right?

Plenty of blame to be shared, including Vogel.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post: