Thread: Pistons fire Maurice Cheeks

Default Pistons fire Maurice Cheeks

How can he be fired but Mike Brown still have a job? Is Sheed going to be the interim coach now?

Default Re: Pistons fire Maurice Cheeks

They should make Dumars coach.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They should make Dumars coach.
    You know what, Tom Gores totally should. That's the best idea I've heard. Dumars built this mess of a roster, let him coach for the remainder of the season. The Knicks did that with Isiah Thomas.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I think that team is much better then the record shows. So, I'd fire him too. Pistons could get someone and have All-Star break to get it going. Make a push for the playoffs. There are several good coaches available.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im really not sure there's a worse GM in basketball than Dumars...hes gotten progressively worse over time and is just downright pathetic now...and i wont lie, I enjoy every minute of it...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dumar's is STILL riding the coat tails of the championship, how much longer?. Since then he has not made one good decision. Horrible drafts, Charlie V, Ben Gordon big contracts ha ha.

Then they are finally getting out of contract hell and he signs knuckle head chuckers Josh Smith and Jennings. Jennings by himself might not have been bad, but not 2 over paid knuckle heads.

EVERY single person that follows basketball thought Josh Smith was a bad signing and bad fit with the front line they already had, except Dumars (and KStat ). Now they have no chance of keeping a good player like Monroe, because of un-tradeable Smith.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

I never would have hired Mo Cheeks in the first place

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Dumar's is STILL riding the coat tails of the championship, how much longer?. Since then he has not made one good decision. Horrible drafts, Charlie V, Ben Gordon big contracts ha ha.

Then they are finally getting out of contract hell and he signs knuckle head chuckers Josh Smith and Jennings. Jennings by himself might not have been bad, but not 2 over paid knuckle heads.

EVERY single person that follows basketball thought Josh Smith was a bad signing and bad fit with the front line they already had, except Dumars (and KStat ). Now they have no chance of keeping a good player like Monroe, because of un-tradeable Smith.
    This is misinformation.

They can keep smith and re-sign Monroe without going into the luxury tax. Most of us would simply rather they not do that.

Personally, I wish they would trade Monroe for a good perimiter shooter and keep smith. He's the more talented player.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-10-2014 at 06:54 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

My take on Mo Cheeks is this: he's a fantastic point guard coach. Jennings isn't perfect by any means, but he got him to become a playmaker rather than just a chucker. He's also found a role for Rodney stuckey that's really suited him well and he's actually consistently producing for the first time in years.

But (and I said this when we hired him) he just isn't a head coach. He's not. He doesn't have the mentality or the work ethic for it. He's the most unprepared pistons coach I've ever seen. The previous bad coaches simply made bad decisions. Cheeks rarely made it to the decision-making stage.

I wish we had hired hollins and brought mo in from OKC as a lead assistant. He really has had a positive impact on Jennings and Stuckey. But he doesn't understand the game outside of a point guard's perspective.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    My take on Mo Cheeks is this: he's a fantastic point guard coach. Jennings isn't perfect by any means, but he got him to become a playmaker rather than just a chucker. He's also found a role for Rodney stuckey that's really suited him well and he's actually consistently producing for the first time in years.

But (and I said this when we hired him) he just isn't a head coach. He's not. He doesn't have the mentality or the work ethic for it. He's the most unprepared pistons coach I've ever seen. The previous bad coaches simply made bad decisions. Cheeks rarely made it to the decision-making stage.

I wish we had hired hollins and brought mo in from OKC as a lead assistant. He really has had a positive impact on Jennings and Stuckey. But he doesn't understand the game outside of a point guard's perspective.
    Just an really small observation about Brandon Jennings....and I admit that it is from a VERY SMALL sample and saw this literally at the end of the game and can be skewed completely as mere opinion.....but I don't particularly like the type of Player that I think that he is.

Whatever you'd call the type of Player would still jack up 3pt shots with the game is well in hand...that is what I see Brandon Jennings is.

With less than a 1:09 minutes left in the game with the Pistons up by 17 points.....Jennings jacked up a 3pt shot ( and made it ). Wilson Chandler dribbles up to the 3pt line and does the same thing and hits the 3pt shot. Jennings then comes right back and does the same.

Call me old fashioned that thinks that a Team should just dribble the ball out...but that just seemed unncessary for me.

I don't doubt that he's a good scorer and ( given the right type of guidance ) can turn out to be a solid Starting PG......but stuff like that rubs me the wrong way.

JMHO......
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

He took shots with the shot clock still running. If they wanted him to not score, they should have tried defending him.

Btw, that isn't "old fashioned" thinking. That train of thought originated less than 25 years ago. In the 60's 70's and 80's players were more than willing to go in for cheap baskets with time running out and the game already decided. It wasn't until the 90's rolled around that coaches started getting worried about hurting feelings.
    Last edited by Kstat; 02-10-2014 at 03:42 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

This is misinformation.

They can upkeep smith and re-sign Monroe without going into the luxury tax. Most of us would simply rather they not do that.

Personally, I wish they would trade Monroe for a good perimiter shooter and keep smith. He's the more talented player.
    That simply isn't true. The vast majority of Piston fans would keep Monroe and trade Smith. KStat doesn't represent the majority of Piston fans.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Neither do you. I'm not sure what the vast majority of Piston fans want, but there's a petition online right now made by Piston fans to make Rasheed Wallace the head coach. If that's any indicator, I'd say the majority of Piston fans are morons and I'd rather not speak for them.

I agree, he is an excellent assistant, but just doesn't have the presence to be a head coach

Neither do you. I'm not sure what the vast majority of Piston fans want, but there's a petition online right now made by Piston fans to make Rasheed Wallace the head coach. If that's any indicator, I'd say the majority of Piston fans are morons and I'd rather not speak for them.
    wow really?

The Pistons have enough talent that they should be able to get a quality head coach. They should not settle for a second tier guy
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-10-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Sports Logo

Everyone is bagging on Dumars right now but how much would you guys give, in terms of sucking for years to win just one title? I know I would be willing to live with some crappy years to see the Pacers in one and Dumars did deliver a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Everyone is bagging on Dumars right now but how much would you guys give, in terms of sucking for years to win just one title? I know I would be willing to live with some crappy years to see the Pacers in one and Dumars did deliver a title.
    True, but it isn't like the Pistons were only good for 1 year. They were in 6 straight ECF's. that is impressive. Plus their current talent level is pretty impressive. Two excellent big guys, not too many teams have that. I think singing Josh Smith was a mistake, but he is very talented. (I still think they should be a 45 win team this season)
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-10-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    True, but it isn't like the Pistons were only good for 1 year. They were in 6 straight ECF's. that is impressive. Plus their current talent level is pretty impressive. Two excellent big guys, not too many teams have that. I think singing Josh Smith was a mistake, but he is very talented. (I still think they should be a 45 win team this season)

Yeah, making 6 straight Conference Finals is an absurdly difficult thing to accomplish. Part of it was because the East was pretty weak for most of those years, but most of it is that Detroit was just a great team back then.

I guess Miami will have made 4 straight after they inevitably get there this year. I guess they should have a pretty good chance of tagging 2 more on to that if Lebron stays.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-10-2014 at 12:29 PM.

I actually like the Smith signing. But Jennings was just horrible. He's a glorified chucker. Then the coach let's Smith shoot all the 3s he wants. Yikes. He's shooting about 4 a game and shooting a woeful 23%. Someone make the guy stop!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

The "glorified chucker" is 4th in the league in assists...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

.... I'd say the majority of Piston fans are morons.....
    Miracle of miracles....Kstat and I finally agree on something.

I like how the Pistons are put together and they're one trade away from being pretty dang good. I just don't get why they hired Mo Cheeks to begin with. After Carlisle and Larry Brown I don't like any of the coaches Dumars has hired. I thought Flip Saunders squandered whatever opportunity they had to win in the last few Rip/Chauncey/Sheed/Ben Wallace years.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I have never seen Mo Cheeks get more out of his team than the talent level. Joe Dumars should not have hired him but he did get good players, his next coaching hire is important. If they bring in a good coach they can turn it around and be dangerous in the playoffs. I would love to see Miami have to go through New Jersey and Detroit before getting to us.

I agree about Josh Smith but like you said he is talented and had been playing for a directionless team before he came to Detroit.