var yuipath = 'clientscript/yui';
var yuicombopath = '';
var remoteyui = false;
else // Load Rest of YUI remotely (where possible)
var yuipath = 'http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.9.0/build';
var yuicombopath = 'http://yui.yahooapis.com/combo';
var remoteyui = true;
NEW YORK -- Suspended New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez abandoned his fight against Major League Baseball on Friday, dropping his lawsuit for tortious interference in U.S. District Court in Manhattan.
Rodriguez also withdrew lawsuits against commissioner Bud Selig and the Major League Baseball Players Association, ending his battle to overturn an unprecedented 211-game suspension in connection with baseball's Biogenesis investigation that was reduced last month to 162 games plus the 2014 playoffs by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz.
Sources told ESPNNewYork.com in recent days that Rodriguez had been considering dropping the lawsuits for several reasons, not the least of which was the anticipated $10 million it would cost him in legal fees to continue his fight to play baseball in 2014. Rodriguez is already losing $25 million in salary during his suspension.
lso, sources told ESPNNewYork.com that Rodriguez was seeking to reconcile with baseball in hopes of continuing to work in the industry once his playing days are finished. His contract with the Yankees runs through 2017, and he has told confidantes he has every intention of returning to the field in 2015.
According to sources familiar with the proceedings, Rodriguez had in recent days made contact with Major League Baseball COO Rob Manfred, who spearheaded baseball's Biogenesis investigation that resulted in the suspensions of 13 players, in the hopes of repairing relations with the sport.
"It was a question of either becoming Pete Rose or Ryan Braun,'' said the source, referring to Rodriguez's fear that he would be ostracized from the game the way Rose, baseball's all-time hits leader, has been since it was revealed he gambled on baseball while a manager.