Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what did you guys think of Marcus Smart shoving a fan in the stands?

Default So what did you guys think of Marcus Smart shoving a fan in the stands?

Personally I suspect said fan said something racist towards him (because I don't see Marcus Smart reacting that way otherwise) and that seems to be what's reported. Now should he have shoved him? No but I can't really fault him either.

And in case you are wondering Metta World Peace did weigh in on this(who better to ask?)

@smart_MS3 all mistakes and missteps are a foundation for improvement. Sometimes the game is so intense , we forget its just a game.

Metta World Peace (@MettaWorldPeace) February 9, 2014

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: So what did you guys think of Marcus Smart shoving a fan in the stands?

The fan seems like a real *******, had a smirk on his face after the altercation like he succeeded in setting Smart off. Takes a really special person to heckle a 19 year old kid.

I think the fan probably said something racist or otherwise really personal. Yes, Smart appears to have a checkered past, but its not like he's the only guy to ever play college basketball that had a checkered past, and these kind of things are far from common. I don't know what the fan said, but it must have been particularly bad to set Smart off.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Default Re: So what did you guys think of Marcus Smart shoving a fan in the stands?

I think I would immediately disqualify my opinion because I'm white, and not a basketball player, so it's impossible for me to put myself in his shoes.

My thought, which may be entirely wrong, is that I don't blame him as a man, and I think I might do the same if I were him (but could never know). But as a basketball player, as we learned with the Pacers, there are certain professionalism boundaries you don't cross, and you must weigh crossing of said boundaries accordingly when considering potential punishment.

I hope it's nothing that damages his draft stock or future earnings because of one decision. But I also think there is a professionalism standard in NCAA which suggests his actions as an athlete were not appropriate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I am not condoning what the fan said.

Marcus that wasn't Smart. Be more civil than your persecutors, like MLK. Responding to stupidity in stupid ways is DUMB.

Let's be real here: Does anyone think this is the first time a fan has yelled that word at a basketball player? You can't react like that if you are Marcus Smart. You just can't. Yes, it's a horrible thing to say and completely out of line, but this situation is now 100x worse because of his reaction.

http://beta.thescore.com/ncaab/news/428708

Marcus Smart is scheduled to hold a press conference Sunday at 6PM EST, where he is expected to provide a statement addressing his altercation with a Texas Tech fan.

Marcus Smart will hold a news conference today at 5 p.m. But Im told he probably WONT take questions. Hell likely just make a statement.

Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) February 9, 2014
    Smart, infuriated by an alleged derogatory remark, entered the crowd to shove a well-known fan and Red Raider booster, Jeff Orr, late in Oklahoma State's 65-61 loss Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's be real here: Does anyone think this is the first time a fan has yelled that word at a basketball player? You can't react like that if you are Marcus Smart. You just can't. Yes, it's a horrible thing to say and completely out of line, but this situation is now 100x worse because of his reaction.
    This thread will get closed.

Let's be real here: Does anyone think this is the first time a fan has yelled that word at a basketball player? You can't react like that if you are Marcus Smart. You just can't.
    What does this mean exactly? Says who?

I'll throw out there that the Supreme Court has recognized specifically that certain types of speech are "fighting words." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words

Yes, it's a horrible thing to say and completely out of line, but this situation is now 100x worse because of his reaction.
    I don't see what this means either. Would it be 100X better if Smart just kept the abuse to himself and the fan got to keep doing this game after game without repercussions?

(All this is assuming that the fan did say something clearly over the line, and Smart wasn't "word-flopping," as someone put it.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont want to speak for Cdash, but I assume he means you cant do it because of many reasons, the least of which is possible suspension and/or lost revenue for his reputation being tarnished.

In a perfect world he would have reported it, let the school take care of it (assuming they were willing to take any action) and not had any interaction with the fan.

Not that I can blame him at all. We are all human. And we all make mistakes.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I dont want to speak for Cdash, but I assume he means you cant do it because of many reasons, the least of which is possible suspension and/or lost revenue for his reputation being tarnished.

In a perfect world he would have reported it, let the school take care of it (assuming they were willing to take any action) and not had any interaction with the fan.

Not that I can blame him at all. We are all human. And we all make mistakes.
    This.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

3 game suspension. Not sure if that's right or wrong or what.

Yeah, I know you can't do what Smart did. Yeah - i know the NCAA (or whomever) had to do something. But the d-nozzle that instigated it --- nothing. He'll be at the next game. That's not right.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    3 game suspension. Not sure if that's right or wrong or what.

Yeah, I know you can't do what Smart did. Yeah - i know the NCAA (or whomever) had to do something. But the d-nozzle that instigated it --- nothing. He'll be at the next game. That's not right.
    That guy should get a lifetime ban, but he won't. At the VERY least they should move his seats away from the court so he can't pull that **** anymore.

Pretty compelling video from TTU that the fan did not use the n word: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5tqq...ature=youtu.be
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

^the official reports seem to be that he called Smart a "piece of crap." Not really smart to do when the player is in the stands already, but probably an overreaction by Smart. I guess he was "word-flopping." The fan volunteered not to attend any more games this year. Three game suspension may put OSU in a tough spot for the tourney. They are not deep.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ^the official reports seem to be that he called Smart a "piece of crap." Not really smart to do when the player is in the stands already, but probably an overreaction by Smart. I guess he was "word-flopping." The fan volunteered not to attend any more games this year. Three game suspension may put OSU in a tough spot for the tourney. They are not deep.
    Probably an overreaction?

That guy should get a lifetime ban, but he won't. At the VERY least they should move his seats away from the court so he can't pull that **** anymore.
    I would have agreed with you, and I can barely hear anything in the video, but if all he said was piece of crap I am not sure I think he should get a lifetime ban.

Personally, I think it is silly to taunt athletes. I like the playful jeering, but the trash talk, especially to a kid.....I just find that weird. That said, I have chanted many a "airball chants", and we even got a kid in HS to throw up a half court shot with 3 seconds left before we got in his head with the countdown chant.

I guess it all comes down to context.

Not sure how I feel about the suspension. Dont follow college much, but I wonder why not a 1 game suspension.

"I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men's Basketball program," Orr said in a statement. "My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech -- a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a 'piece of crap' but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created."
    Orr volunteered not to attend any Texas Tech games for the rest of the season, sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...es-shoving-fan

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I would have agreed with you, and I can barely hear anything in the video, but if all he said was piece of crap I am not sure I think he should get a lifetime ban.

Personally, I think it is silly to taunt athletes. I like the playful jeering, but the trash talk, especially to a kid.....I just find that weird. That said, I have chanted many a "airball chants", and we even got a kid in HS to throw up a half court shot with 3 seconds left before we got in his head with the countdown chant.

I guess it all comes down to context.

Not sure how I feel about the suspension. Dont follow college much, but I wonder why not a 1 game suspension.
    Yeah, when I wrote that I was operating under the assumption that he dropped an N-bomb on Smart.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Probably an overreaction?
    Yeah, just lost a game, fall into the stands, and some guy standing over you calls you a piece of crap. Those two women probably weren't saying "Well played game, young sir!" either. Probably an overreaction.

Larry Bird remains unimpressed: He once punched a fan.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3666,3218065

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Yeah, just lost a game, fall into the stands, and some guy standing over you calls you a piece of crap. Those two women probably weren't saying "Well played game, young sir!" either. Probably an overreaction.
    I don't know what was said, but I think after the Artest Melee player/fan interactions have changed. You can't engage a fan in a physical, aggressive manner.

Larry Bird remains unimpressed: He once punched a fan.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3666,3218065
    moreover, a fan of his own team, apparently

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...ving-incident/

Kevin Durant Sides With Marcus Smart in Fan Shoving Incident
    After shoving a verbally abusive (and possibly racist) Texas Tech fan on Saturday, Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart was suspended for three games. Both Kevin Durant and Metta World Peace put their support behind the kid on Sunday. Per the Oklahoman:
    I just put it like this, Durant said. If you wouldnt say that if we were walking down the street, then you should keep that to yourself.

I played in that place my one year at Texas, and those fans say some crazy stuff to you, Durant said. But hes a (19)-year-old kid, heat of the moment. Its easy for you guys to judge him because youve never been in that situation, but Im sure he regrets it, made a mistake and Im sure hell learn from it.

Durant even went as far as to say, Im not sure I would have reacted any different.

At 19 years old, when I came out of St. Johns, I was fresh out the hood, fresh out of Queensbridge, World Peace said. So my mentality was still a struggle, defensive and things like that. So I wasnt really conscious.

But Im 34 years old now. (Smarts) a young kid. I wish I would have listened when I was a kid, to my elders or to people who had my best interest at heart. And then I wish I would have been more conscious at my age. Those are two things that if you were to reach out to a kid like Marcus, a talented kid, a future leader in the community, you would tell him those things.

I know it's stupid, but people really need to learn that whole "words never hurt me" line and just walk away. Reacting phsyically to someone because they're stupid, just makes you look stupid. I expect childish rationalizations out of MWP, but Durant's response is a disappointment.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.