Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest Loser 2014

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Biggest Loser 2014

Coffee doesn't have to make BP go up if you learn how to self-manage anxiety and stress. It's tough but doable. I had high BP for years when I finally realized it was because my mental habits were a lot worse than my physical habits. Realized that I spent way too much time worrying about ****, when ultimately you don't control anything. All you can do is aim for a goal, and don't sweat it when you experience an inevitable bump in the road. Just put it behind you and keep aiming for the goal. Took about a year of having to remind myself to chill out whenever I felt my anxiety and worry rising.

Before, a coffee would peg my anxiety and since I did nothing to curb it, it went buckwild. Now I can drink a coffee before bed and snore like a baby. It was mostly about controlling anxiety for me. My BP was stuck at 150/100 for years despite the fact I was fairly active and trim... now my BP is a calm, cool 120/85. My doctors were trying to stick me on blood-pressure and anxiety meds, I told them I wanted a chance to lower it myself, and he flat out told me he didn't think it was possible.

I'm a competitive ****er about certain things and when it dawned on me that anxiety was "winning", it pissed me off and that was that. Not a fan of losing, especially to something that was created by me.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 07-29-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coffee doesn't have to make BP go up if you learn how to self-manage anxiety and stress. It's tough but doable. I had high BP for years when I finally realized it was because my mental habits were a lot worse than my physical habits. Realized that I spent way too much time worrying about ****, when ultimately you don't control anything. All you can do is aim for a goal, and don't sweat it when you experience an inevitable bump in the road. Just put it behind you and keep aiming for the goal. Took about a year of having to remind myself to chill out whenever I felt my anxiety and worry rising.

Before, a coffee would peg my anxiety and since I did nothing to curb it, it went buckwild. Now I can drink a coffee before bed and snore like a baby. It was mostly about controlling anxiety for me. My BP was stuck at 150/100 for years despite the fact I was fairly active and trim... now my BP is a calm, cool 120/85. My doctors were trying to stick me on blood-pressure and anxiety meds, I told them I wanted a chance to lower it myself, and he flat out told me he didn't think it was possible.

I'm a competitive ****er about certain things and when it dawned on me that anxiety was "winning", it pissed me off and that was that. Not a fan of losing, especially to something that was created by me.
    You realize that when I say coffee it means about 4 cups of strong home ground Starbucks Cafe Verona OR.... a 5 shot Vente Americano (that is 5 shots of espresso), right? I know too that right now my BP is running a tick above 140/75 but while on tea excusively. I was in the 116/60 range.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    How much does your folks' weight fluctuate in a day? I feel like I'm always within a 3-4 lb. range, morning to evening (lightest in evening). I realize it's not healthy to weigh yourself every day, much less 2x per day, but eff it, I've been losing enough weight to where it's more often encouraging than not. Or at least flat. Except Memorial Day weekend. Damn Memorial Day weekend.

Lowest weigh-in so far has been 201 flat. I was 201.6 tonight. Trying like hell to break this damn 200 barrier, working in soem HIIT training, but I'll take -20 lbs. at least.
    at the risk of TMI....I weigh in the raw right after a morning constitutional. Every day. At 223 my immediate goal is 220 then 200 and then we'll see where we go from there.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    You realize that when I say coffee it means about 4 cups of strong home ground Starbucks Cafe Verona OR.... a 5 shot Vente Americano (that is 5 shots of espresso), right? I know too that right now my BP is running a tick above 140/75 but while on tea excusively. I was in the 116/60 range.
    About where I'm at. I do at least 3 Starbucks coffees a day.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

I've not really been a part of this group for a long while so gimme some info guys (and gals if appropriate)

Where did you start out....what was your goal.....and where are you now?

and a little bit more bragging on my part....I noticed yesterday that I can see my belt buckle..I haven't seen that in years. Now if I could only get to the point where I no longer need suspenders.

Mood

I have been battling my weight a long time and have now only realized how hard the fight is. I cannot believe I went from such an athletic freak of nature in the Army to what I am now. I started at 362 was down to 321 back up to 356 and down to 348. Just had my physical and my doctor reamed me a new one in more ways than one, lol. He gave me some motivation with my daughters and how I needed to be there for my youngest daughter who has cystic fibrosis. I think job stress was a killer for me too. Also the meds that go along with PTSD aren't great for weight. Now that I am starting school and will not have to work I think I can re-focus on my energy toward losing weight and my doctor put me back on adipex. I will start taking it again tomorrow after I pick it up from the pharmacy. I got a treadmill now so I can walk at night while watching TV. My goal is to be back under 320 by Christmas. Long term I'd like to be in the high 200's by next year and low 200's in 2 years.

Mood

good luck jeffg(ood) body. The hardest exercize is also the most effective.....push aways.

Mood

Been doing this all my life, except for a 5 - 6 year stretch in my mid-twenties when I totally slimmed down, enough to bamboozle a woman into bearing my spawn. I lost 60 pounds a couple years back, but that was due to a lymphoma that had me laid up in the hospital for a month. Still, I came out of that OK and trimmed down somewhat, but had a routine checkup with my oncologist back in late April and was shocked to learn that I had crept back up to 318 lbs.

Checked in at 280 lbs. yesterday, so that's 38 lbs in 3˝ months, not bad, but the best part is I'm cruising on autopilot now with no end in sight. I'm firmly ensconced in a size 44 waist and when I get down to 42 that's going to be a major benchmark; the last time I wore a size 42 waist was in the late 90s.

What I'm doing is basically my own version of Atkins, although I tell my doctor that I am eschewing processed foods and refined sugar as much as possible, eating a salad every day and establishing better eating habits, which is all true. For one thing, I've managed to quit eating after 8, which I imagine is leading to better sleep, which leads to feel better in general. I also dropped coffee totally after getting up to 8 cups a day at my (then) new job, switched to tea, but then switched to herbal tea shortly after that. I maybe have one cup of caffeinated tea a day, but I'm much more alert at work, and don't experience periods of drowsiness as I used to.

Something else I'm doing that seems to help but the benefits of which could be totally psychological is that I'm drinking Kevita water kefir every day. I dropped carbonated soft drinks but really miss the fizz. Kevita is naturally carbonated (is there any difference between natural carbonation and the kind used for soft drinks? Probably not) and most varieties have just a few calories. It also has 4 strains of live probiotics, and although it's purely anecdotal evidence, I have to say my stomach feels great and I feel great in general. There's a lot of research currently on gut flora and it looks like there really is something beneficial there.

Mood

I have been taking the Adipex 5 days now and down five pounds to 345 dressed. Since then I have been eating 2 meals a day without any problems. Usually skipping lunch or breakfast. I have also been having a small snack from the garden usually tomato or cucumber. I go back to the dermatologist tomorrow regarding the skin cancer thing but other than that I feel much better. Not working retail has helped my stress levels a ton as well. I will be getting my treadmill Friday and have already started lifting weights at night. My goal is 30 pounds in three months with the Adipex and if that is achieved the doc will continue with it. I would really like to be sub 300 by New Years.

Mood

Weighed in at 341 this morning dressed. Down a few more pounds. Still taking Adipex and eating 2 meals a day with a rare snack of tomatoes or something healthy 2 nights this past week. Trying to be more active to not think about food. Starting school helped and fishing today with my neighbor. Not successful fishing. We fished 2 hours in a downpour and only myself and my daughter caught a fish. Planning to start using weights Tuesday and writing a food journal to bring to my next appointment at the VA nutritionist. Stressed about bills so I am trying to sell stuff for the month but will be ok after this month is over because will be getting full sustenance allowance from VA.

Mood

Down to 216 from my starting weight of 241 (260 if you tack on a couple more years). Can't wait for the diabetes doctor appt. next Friday...for once I won't fear his wrath.

Mood

Congrats indygeezer, sounds like you are working hard toward your goal. I am hoping to get some good results too by the time I go back to the doctor in three months.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Mood

thanks but I can feel myself starting to backslide some. I gotta be careful now is a bad time it's easy to tell myself that I have to eat out since I'm travelling back and forth from home to the hospital and to work.

WTG indygeezer. That's awesome. Keep it up old man.

I had a bad weekend. Ate just nothing but sugar and crap. The good thing is is that I've been keeping up with my workouts the past few months. Haven't really lost weight, but definitely put on some muscle! Just want to lose the gut. 37" waist and want to to 32". Ugh, freaking gut doesn't want to go away. Gotta up the cardio.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Way to hang Sparhawk. It's easy to fall off the wagon and even easier to fall off the tredmill. Keep at it.

The last few days I've had problems with roasted almonds (only supposed to have no more than a serving per day and like yesterday evening I ate a half can of them. Gotta stop that.

Mood

The next few days I should lose some weight, but it will come back. Someone stole my pain medication and I am going through serious withdraw. No appetite, nauseous and cold sweats and fever. They won't be ordered until tomorrow so I will get them next week sometime.

Mood

Just did my weekly weigh in and I came in at 334.7 down from 341.7 last week. I weighed myself 5 times to make sure because I didn't expect that big of a drop. I use a heavy duty weight watcher's scale. I have been taking the Adipex and not eating as much because of it (2 meals a day). Started at 350.9 when taking started taking the Adipex a little over a month ago. Super excited for this week to begin and I need to get that treadmill so I can start exercising.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Mood

Weighed myself Sunday and came in at 334.2, I lost a half of a pound for the week. I ate pretty bad the day before and a few times this week so I gotta tighten up some.

Mood

I seem to be stuck in the 215-218 range and having trouble motivating myself to go to the gym or avoid little extras on my salads. Need a good kick in the *** to get firmly back on track.

Mood

My biggest problem is my wife cooking good desserts. I got to get ready to resist all of the fresh pumpkin desserts that she makes this time of the year. I did good most of the day but had some rice crispy treats and a glass of milk.

Mood

Weighed in at 333.6 this morning. I have definitely plateaued. I am getting my treadmill back on Sunday so I will begin exercise slowly so I don't overdo it.

Mood

Now bouncing between 216 and 212......NO MORE PEANUTS OR ALMONDS.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Around 235 around the end of winter, beginning of spring. March/Aprilish. About 212/213 now.

Mood

I am still a long, long way from my goal of 235 lbs. I am hoping to be sub 300 by the end of January.