Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / Blazers Post Game Thread - 2/7

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers / Blazers Post Game Thread - 2/7

Tirico said that the Fieldhouse is his favorite arena in the league and he was really hyping up the atmosphere. The place did look pretty nuts on TV. It's just so wonderful to see the rebirth of Pacer Pride. The community loves this team.

The Fieldhouse was really sparkling on ESPN's beautiful HD. I still can't believe that we are in the 15th season of The Fieldhouse. You could be fooled into thinking it opened last year if you didn't know any better. Indy really has a gem of an arena with the Fieldhouse.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Frank needs to keep a hammer close by and hurt West's hand once in awhile. It seemed to me when his hand started messing with his shot making David really started to concentrate. It shows. Roy gets bored and pouts a bit when he is out of the loop. Without Lance feeding Roy he would normally step up his rim defense, but the TB's did that for him and didn't attack the rim. Roy got bored, started thinking, got tired, had a less than All Star type game. Somebody woke George Hill up and that's always trouble for his opponent. Really fun game to watch and we WON! I don't have a lot of complaints, but then I don't expect perfection out of players all the time. If Paul George can't do any better than average 17-6-7 and play lock down defense on EVERYBODY we sic him on, well his trade value will not be higher the rest of the year LMAO!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Some things I noticed at the game last night...

1=The crowd was really into the game last night and the defense chant was extremely loud and I know it affected
    Portland in the latter part of the game. The fieldhouse is such a great venue. Even after 15 years it is still beautiful.

2=Rasual Butler is a great player to have on your bench. He does not hurt you and last night really contributed with
    clutch shooting

3=With Lance out and Roy and PG mostly zeroes(it happens) the Pacers still won. That would not have happened last year

4=Bynum was talking to Ian after some plays and was involved. He is big, definitely bigger that Ian

5=Being taller than the player you are guarding is large when defending. The Pacers had the advantage their except for Hill and he paid for it. The defense dramatically picked up when PG was switched to Lillard.

6=Robin Lopez is a superstar...at least against the Pacers. Actually he is a very good center. He has really worked on his offensive game since coming into the league and he defends well.

7=The refs were bad, both ways..ugghhh.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

2013-2014
    The Lost Season

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can the people saying Hill plays crappy defense please watch this video as many times as it takes.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Can the people saying Hill plays crappy defense please watch this video as many times as it takes.
    Oh I wasn't going for that, but that is also true. I was just trying to appreciate one of the better one on one duels I have seen in a good while. That was nuts.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

12. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

The only thing he did horrible on was when Roy switched on the pick and roll he did not get in front of Lopez. I think he was shocked more than anything.

If Damion is pulling up like that, there isn't much we can do in our system. We weren't running ICE, because LMA killed us last game when we did. We don't pinch from the wind, because we don't want to give up the open three.

There won't be much adjustment to this. We want people to take these shots, because they are tougher to make. And when Roy or West hedged hard Lilliard just doubled back and got open on the other side of the pick.

It is hard to stay effecient on this. Hill played well against Matthews. I think Matthews got away with clearing with the shoulder on that step back.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    5=Being taller than the player you are guarding is large when defending. The Pacers had the advantage their except for Hill and he paid for it. The defense dramatically picked up when PG was switched to Lillard.
    I disagree. Stott just attacked Hill when he was on Matthews. PG's length challenges that pullup off the pick and pop better than Hill. But Lillard also got to the rim, thus creating break downs on the perimeter.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    Oh I wasn't going for that, but that is also true. I was just trying to appreciate one of the better one on one duels I have seen in a good while. That was nuts.
    I think he was going for the Kareem...

People criticize GH because he "can't stay in front of anyone", but fail to take into account he is run thru 4000 high pick and rolls against a 300lb. center and his center provides no help because he is tethered to the rim.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/quotes

Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.
    [Kareem gets angry]
    Joey: And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.
    Roger Murdock: [breaking character] The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to seeker80 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    The only thing he did horrible on was when Roy switched on the pick and roll he did not get in front of Lopez. I think he was shocked more than anything.

If Damion is pulling up like that, there isn't much we can do in our system. We weren't running ICE, because LMA killed us last game when we did. We don't pinch from the wind, because we don't want to give up the open three.

There won't be much adjustment to this. We want people to take these shots, because they are tougher to make. And when Roy or West hedged hard Lilliard just doubled back and got open on the other side of the pick.

It is hard to stay effecient on this. Hill played well against Matthews. I think Matthews got away with clearing with the shoulder on that step back.
    And this is the exact same thing we did against Thomas and the Kings. Thomas was hitting some shots, but fell back down to earth. Lillard is just a better player and stayed hot.
    Last edited by ilive4sports; 02-08-2014 at 12:19 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

I have been fighting this off, but I can't help myself.

One of the bonuses of last night's great win was not having to hear from the Lance Fanboy nation. Can you imagine the hue and cry if we had lost? Lance's new contract offer would now be in the 20 mil range and the "trade for tacos (donuts)" machine would have worked all night long without respite. Of course, GH's trade value couldn't be higher after last night so let's strike while the iron is hot.

Last night should make it crystal clear. The is a TEAM. If your 5th option can drop 37, you should get on your knees and thank the gods and stop trying to make it about 1 guy.

Someone made the comment that last nights game proved that Lance should have the ball in his hands all of the time and let everyone else score.

...must have been watching a different game.

GH had the ball in his hands 80% of the time for the last 20 mins. Pushing the break. Driving into the paint time after time for a tear drop, a dime to DWest or drawing a fould. Just how would that work if he never had the ball in his hands?

What GH proved is he willing do whatever it takes so the TEAM has the best chance to win. He will defer if he needs to or be assertive if he needs to because its not all about him or triple double watches.

This issue is the biggest concern I have about keeping Lance around. Will it always be about the TEAM or will it always be about Lance? Sometimes, reading this board, I wonder.

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to seeker80 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Hill was screened on like 90% of Lillards makes haha. And still usually got a hand in his face. Even the sequence at the end of the third Hill played the lay up very well, and Butler should have blocked it. Hill also had a hand in Lillards face on that three where it was a "foul". That video shows PG getting burned by Lillard as much as Hill did. They just PnR'rd Hill to death.

Hill played much better D on Lillard than Lillard played on Hill

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Seeker, you only have 50 posts. Stop lurking, post more often.

Quote Originally Posted by seeker80 View Post
    Last night should make it crystal clear. The is a TEAM. If your 5th option can drop 37, you should get on your knees and thank the gods and stop trying to make it about 1 guy.
    I wish I could thank this a hundred times.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Tirico said that the Fieldhouse is his favorite arena in the league and he was really hyping up the atmosphere. The place did look pretty nuts on TV. It's just so wonderful to see the rebirth of Pacer Pride. The community loves this team.

The Fieldhouse was really sparkling on ESPN's beautiful HD. I still can't believe that we are in the 15th season of The Fieldhouse. You could be fooled into thinking it opened last year if you didn't know any better. Indy really has a gem of an arena with the Fieldhouse.
    No kidding, I was proud of it when it was built, even more proud of how well it has been taken care of. The way it was built was really forward thinking in terms of sports arenas. At the same the Fieldhouse was built, a lot of NBA arenas looked okay on TV, but had pretty dingy luxury suites, narrow hallways, not great concessions or parking. The Fieldhouse really set the gold standard is has better amenities than some arenas that were built afterward. While Amway Arena is considered by many to be the nicest in the league, the Fieldhouse is right up there so many years later.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

That was a fun game.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    No kidding, I was proud of it when it was built, even more proud of how well it has been taken care of. The way it was built was really forward thinking in terms of sports arenas. At the same the Fieldhouse was built, a lot of NBA arenas looked okay on TV, but had pretty dingy luxury suites, narrow hallways, not great concessions or parking. The Fieldhouse really set the gold standard is has better amenities than some arenas that were built afterward. While Amway Arena is considered by many to be the nicest in the league, the Fieldhouse is right up there so many years later.
    I agree. Everything in it just still looks immaculate: The concourses, the exterior/interior bricks, the windows, the suites, the displays, the floors, the restrooms, the aisles, the seats....EVERYTHING!

We've also done a couple of major things to keep it up with the Joneses so to speak. We added the LED band a few years back and then obviously added the massive scoreboard before last year. With those two additions, you could easily be fooled into thinking that the arena opened up last year if you didn't know any better.

My one and only complaint about the Fieldhouse is the bland court that we've had since 2005. It looked sooooooo much better from 1999-2005 when we had the blue out of bounds with the gold lettering. I am just not a fan of unpainted out of bounds. I've never understood why we made that change. I'm fine with the interior paint in the free throw area being blue instead of yellow, but I've just never been a fan of the out of bounds. The center court logo and lettering looks great at least.

Speaking of that sort of thing, we need to cash in on our popularity and unveil some bad a** new jerseys next year. They would sell like hotcakes given how popular the team is right now. We're in year nine of these uniforms and have simply had them for way too long. They've already outlived the flo-jos and pinstripes, both of which were superior uniforms. Those pinstripes looked dope when we wore them as retros last year. The current uniforms aren't bad, but they aren't that good either, IMO. They are as average and mediocre as it gets. There is nothing memorable or jaw dropping about them.

One of the bonuses of last night's great win was not having to hear from the Lance Fanboy nation. Can you imagine the hue and cry if we had lost? Lance's new contract offer would now be in the 20 mil range and the "trade for tacos (donuts)" machine would have worked all night long without respite. Of course, GH's trade value couldn't be higher after last night so let's strike while the iron is hot.

Someone made the comment that last nights game proved that Lance should have the ball in his hands all of the time and let everyone else score.

GH had the ball in his hands 80% of the time for the last 20 mins. Pushing the break. Driving into the paint time after time for a tear drop, a dime to DWest or drawing a fould. Just how would that work if he never had the ball in his hands?

What GH proved is he willing do whatever it takes so the TEAM has the best chance to win. He will defer if he needs to or be assertive if he needs to because its not all about him or triple double watches.

This issue is the biggest concern I have about keeping Lance around. Will it always be about the TEAM or will it always be about Lance? Sometimes, reading this board, I wonder.

Great post. I see you only have 50 post to date. You should post more often.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

This is really just coming from the past 10 games but I'm not sure what's going on with PG. If he's just worn down from playing some many minutes on both ends of the floor as our best scorer and perimeter defender then I wish Vogel would trim his pt by 5 minutes or so. If Paul needs a break and can't produce at a super high level on both ends then I wish he'd focus on D first. Paul's defense as a whole has been terrible for the past 10 games and Lance hasn't been any better. GH has been our best perimeter defender overall during that stretch. If last nights game showed us anything it's that we don't need Paul to score 20 every night. Taking 23 shots to get us 17 points isn't right. Vogel should have stepped in early to contain that. He needs to challenge Paul to be our best defender first and I want GH handling the ball most of the time going forward. I don't think it's really the best thing for this team in the long term to continue to have 2 players dominate the ball the way PG and Lance have. We need to use our size to our advantage and keep West and Hibbert more involved in the offense; we'll have an even better reason to do this when we finally get Bynum in the lineup. Will any of that happen? Not if Vogel’s recent history is any indication. I’m not really down on Vogel as much as it sounds like, he’s done a great job with this team. I just wish he’d coach a little more.

Yes, Lance is definitely expendable on a night where we have two players combine to go 25-35 from the field for 67 points. One of them put up 30/10 and the other had the best game of his career with a 37/9/8 line. If those two players could consistently put up those kind of numbers, then yeah, this team could probably move on fine without Lance.

But let's not forget that it still took OT to beat this team, and I'm guessing that doesn't happen with Lance in the game. The offense scored just 45 points in the first half of the game. A big reason for that was PG's crappy game, but Lance's absence was obviously huge to. We missed his scoring, his ball movement, his passing, and the way he draws double teams and hits open men. I guess I'm a "Lance fanboy" in that I recognize that his production this year is one of the main reasons that the team has gone from being very good to elite. You take a dynamic offensive player in Lance and replace him with someone who is currently poor on offense in Granger, and it lessens your starting lineup. Not being cold, not being a fanboy, just stating some obvious truths.

Our lack of offense early on was erased by the fact that two of our players absolutely played out of their minds. All the credit in the world to Hill and West, but this team still missed Lance.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Great post. I see you only have 50 post to date. You should post more often.
    I appreciate the thought, but I am a grouchy old guy and I know it. I don't trust myself with folks whose parents were probably in HS the same time I was, when I was attending my first Pacer game in the Coliseum in '73.

I know how rare the opportunities to win it all are.

I was behind the basket where Prince ruined what I thought was a lock to win a title. Was in attendance the game after the Brawl and knew we were about to banished to Siberia by Stern (good ****ing riddance). Was out of state but watching every game when we got to the finals too late in 2000. Metta World Artest was my favorite Pacer for awhile and I got in the habit of excusing his "lapses".

Got burned.

So now I am really, really sensitive to what I see are impediments to a title.

Right now? Its Magic. Little Bron. The guy who leads us by a large margin in techs and flops. The cause of all trade talk, breaking the bank, doing whatever it takes.

Its a distraction, a wild card, an unknown...

Last night, after the game, DWest was being interviewed by Brooke. Lance couldn't help himself, he crashed the interview and West shot him a look like "go f'ing away". Lance beat a hasty retreat. Kid can't help it, he's gotta be the center of attention.

Worries me. That's why I am glad we beat a club that is a real challenge for us without him. I hope he gets the message. And then we can work on PG so he learns he doesn't have to be "all Jimmy Kimmel" all the time, everyone can help.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to seeker80 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yes, Lance is definitely expendable on a night where we have two players combine to go 25-35 from the field for 67 points. One of them put up 30/10 and the other had the best game of his career with a 37/9/8 line. If those two players could consistently put up those kind of numbers, then yeah, this team could probably move on fine without Lance.

But let's not forget that it still took OT to beat this team, and I'm guessing that doesn't happen with Lance in the game. The offense scored just 45 points in the first half of the game. A big reason for that was PG's crappy game, but Lance's absence was obviously huge to. We missed his scoring, his ball movement, his passing, and the way he draws double teams and hits open men. I guess I'm a "Lance fanboy" in that I recognize that his production this year is one of the main reasons that the team has gone from being very good to elite. You take a dynamic offensive player in Lance and replace him with someone who is currently poor on offense in Granger, and it lessens your starting lineup. Not being cold, not being a fanboy, just stating some obvious truths.

Our lack of offense early on was erased by the fact that two of our players absolutely played out of their minds. All the credit in the world to Hill and West, but this team still missed Lance.
    I agree we would we not have gone in to OT if Lance were playing and gave us what he gave us in Portland when PG dropped 43 and single handedly kept us in the game.

Lance gave us 2 that night, so you are technically correct, we would have won in regulation.

I agree we would we not have gone in to OT if Lance were playing and gave us what he gave us in Portland when PG dropped 43 and single handedly kept us in the game.

Lance gave us 2 that night, so you are technically correct, we would have won in regulation.

In Portland, Lance got into foul trouble early, only shot the ball 3 times, and fouled out. I'm sure the exact same thing would have happened last night and he would have duplicated his worst performance of the season. If players duplicate a prior extreme performance when playing the same team, then why didn't PG's 43 December points against Portland spill over into last night? Or why didn't George Hill shoot 1 for 8 last night? That's what he shot in Portland the first go around. Poor performances in that December game from everyone not named PG probably had a lot to do with the fact that we beat the Clipps in LA the night before.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Barry whining all night took away from the game. God he's terrible
    Impossible Is Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Romsey31 View Post
    Barry whining all night took away from the game. God he's terrible

Still better than watching FSI for the billionth time, IMHO. ESPN's better HD makes it worth watching.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Btw The way David jumped in celebration when pg hit that fourth qtr three was a joy to see
    Impossible Is Nothing