Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / Blazers Post Game Thread - 2/7

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers / Blazers Post Game Thread - 2/7

This was an awesome game and the first one I've been to in about 4 years (Christmas present). There were two Blazer fans in front of me (cool guys really), and at the end of regulations they asked who was going to take the shot. I said it should be Hill the way he was on, but George will probably throw one up. Lo and behold, George threw up a shot, but we got the rebound and Hill sanked it (so it was like both things were right). The Blazers fans turned around bummed and gave me props. And I got an extra 5 minutes of great basketball.

Also, was watching the team shoot before tip-off. And Butler was in the corner/wing area throwing nothing but bricks up. My father said "Hope he don't play much". After his 2nd three, I turned and said "some people can only hit during a game".
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Buckner because he really has the knowledge. He may trip over his words but he still communicates well. I prefer him over Denari. However, there are other things that bother me about him (things he sometimes says during the broadcasts about certain types of players), but they are probably not topics that can be discussed here.

Denari is professional and likeable...but his voice used to drive me nuts. I've adapted and now tolerate it pretty well.
    Heh, I also used to dislike Denari's voice, it was too nasally and high pitched for me. But I've gotten used to it and am just familiarized with it I guess. He's a pretty good commentator, and I would be disappointed if he left.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've always liked Buckner for his insight. Hell, he's one of THREE people to win at the high school, collegiate, professional, and Olympic levels (read that from the game's program ). And I find the nights where he seems to be drinking a bit much hilarious (like the Denver game).
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    "I love ending overrated teams.

Broncos first, next Pacers, who got next?"

- Blazers fan PRE- Hill 3
    I recognize that poster and I can say one thing. He is not a Blazers fan. He is just a guy who hates the Pacers and posts in the board of whoever team we're currently playing.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I really wanted the Pacers to get Robin Lopez as THE b/u center, but he went to Portland as a starter. I can't wait to see Bynum play.
    Yep, NO wanted a deal where they take back no salary. We couldn't make that happen. But hey we got Bynum, and will probably add a scorer before the deadline.

I've never felt the need to complain about any of our local broadcasters, and I like them all a lot more than I don't.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by seeker80 View Post
    I appreciate the thought, but I am a grouchy old guy .
    No disrespect intended, but I notice the loudest Lance detractors seem to be the old schoolers. Why that is I'm not sure. It's probably just a culture thing combined with a fundamental difference of opinion on what it takes to win a championship.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    No disrespect intended, but I notice the loudest Lance detractors seem to be the old schoolers. Why that is I'm not sure. It's probably just a culture thing combined with a fundamental difference of opinion on what it takes to win a championship.
    Dem young bloods are too obsessed with gimmicks like the 3 point line, jibby jabber crossover fadeaway jumpshots. What they need to understand, is that this game, has always been, and will always be about buckets.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

I still miss Al Albert

But I've learned to love Buckner and Denari. I've had league pass for a while now, you'd be surprised how bad some of these other broadcasters are. I'm talking Dan Dakich bad.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Dem young bloods are too obsessed with gimmicks like the 3 point line, jibby jabber crossover fadeaway jumpshots. What they need to understand, is that this game, has always been, and will always be about buckets.
    Greatest basketball commercial series of all time. ALL TIME.

Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Greatest basketball commercial series of all time. ALL TIME.

I enjoyed the first two. Third one sucked though. Jumped the shark when they brought a woman into it.
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months.

https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Can the people saying Hill plays crappy defense please watch this video as many times as it takes.
    You mean that the # of points that Lillard put up against GH and PG24 doens't tell the entire story of whether they played good defense on Lillard or not?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    We are absolutely a better team when Lance plays. There is no doubt about that. No questioning that.

But, to me what last night shows is that we HAVE to feature West and Hill more. And thats not just on Lance controlling the ball a lot. I'm fine with that. Lance is a creator. Hibbert benefits greatly from Lance, last night showed that too imo. It comes to PG reeling it in a bit. It means Hill has to be more aggressive. It means West needs to be a bit more selfish too.

Our offense with Lance isn't anything special really. Thats not Lance's fault. This team still hasn't figured out the best way to play on the offensive end of the court. We shouldn't rely on PG to carry us so much, its not necessary with the weapons we have. We should be scoring 100+ppg with the players we have. Ball movement needs to improve. We need more Hill and West PnRs. We need to run more plays for PG rather than iso's, get him better looks. And I do think we need to let Hill control things a bit more. Mainly because of turn overs. Hill played 38 minutes and had just one turnover last night when he was controlling the ball pretty much the entire night. The team only had 12 turnovers in an OT game. No I'm not blaming Lance for this. It falls on everyone. GHill plays smart with the ball. He only averages 1.2 TOs per game on the year. He makes the smart pass almost every time. And his ball handling is fantastic.

All in all I want to see more TEAM basketball. We have plenty of options, but they aren't being utilized fully. Last night showed that as it gave the guys a reason to step up with PG shooting like crap and Lance being out.
    Excellent post. I think PG and Lance both need need to fall out of love with their NBA elite, mega-star aspirations. I know it's tough with talented young players, but this team, as we know, is strong as a team. And the more team-oriented they can be, the better. For me, that me Hill & West staying consistently engaged.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

I still miss Al Albert

Al Albert had a good voice, but man did he have some corny lines. I would roll my eyes 3-4 times a game at his lame pun attempts. "Foyled again!"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    I've always liked Buckner for his insight. Hell, he's one of THREE people to win at the high school, collegiate, professional, and Olympic levels (read that from the game's program ). And I find the nights where he seems to be drinking a bit much hilarious (like the Denver game).
    I just don't see problems with Quinn. He has a great basketball IQ and he's enthusiastic. Thats what you want out of a analyst for basketball
    Smothered Chicken!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

For me, it seems that Quinn is fumbling over his words more. And yeah he has decent insight. Color commentators are suppose to. Maybe I just want Clark, but I really can't stand him most nights.

Last year I wasn't as annoyed.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

There's some not-so-young guys on his side, too.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Al Albert had a good voice, but man did he have some corny lines. I would roll my eyes 3-4 times a game at his lame pun attempts. "Foyled again!"
    I wish FSN would contact Al Albert every season just so we know what each new players nicknames would have been had he done the games. I can only imagine what he'd have come up with for this group.

Gotta Play Big

There's some not-so-young guys on his side, too.
    Ahem...

I wish FSN would contact Al Albert every season just so we know what each new players nicknames would have been had he done the games. I can only imagine what he'd have come up with for this group.
    Kenny Albert, his son, already works for Fox.

I don't think there are many, if any "Lance detractors" as much as there's a difference in opinion over how good he is/how much he is worth. That doesn't make one a detractor

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I grew up watching "old school" basketball, and I agree completely with this. In fact, my turn around on Lance has been more about his upped blue collar game with a tremendous improvement in his fundamentals than it has about his statistics.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I grew up watching "old school" basketball, and I agree completely with this. In fact, my turn around on Lance has been more about his upped blue collar game with a tremendous improvement in his fundamentals than it has about his statistics.
    I'm just about as old...and old school as most any poster on PD. I was not a fan of the Lance signing because it reminded me of the last decade of trouble makers coming through. But Lance has earned my respect and IMO everyone's. He has stayed clean and at some point we all need to forgive the past. I am now fighting to drive the Lance bus at this point.

As for his game, he is simply a very skilled basketball player and I don't care how old or young we are...it's just undeniable. He is basically a poor man's LeBron James. IMO, he is the most talented Pacer in terms of consistently being productive at a high level. He is the most fun to watch. He is most well rounded basketball player on this team. He also has that edge you need and the confidence it takes to win it all. If the Pacers lose him for some reason, this team will be less interesting and while I will continue to be a fan I will not believe we can win it all without him. But with him, I do think we have a good chance, even against OKC.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

I can't remember which he applied this to: "the worlish dervish".

I appreciate "old school" as much as anybody, and from my perspective, Lance is actually one of the more fundamentally sound, highest basketball player IQs we have on the Pacers. He may make the fundamental play a tad more flashy, but he generally makes the proper read or reads only the best could make on the court. His off ball movement is also the best we've seen since Reggie, albeit in a different manner. He may get a little too ball dominant, but otherwise, the plays he makes are no flashier than any pass from Bird or Magic in the 80s.