Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers / Blazers Post Game Thread - 2/7

Default Re: Pacers / Blazers Post Game Thread - 2/7

For as well as Hill played on the offensive end, he played just as poorly on defense. I don't think we should be excusing a **** poor defensive effort.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For as well as Hill played on the offensive end, he played just as poorly on defense. I don't think we should be excusing a **** poor defensive effort.
    Hill could score 90 points and you'd complain that he only had 6 assists lol. His defense wasn't as bad as you'd think, Lillard just hit tough shots in his face. The guy scored 37, was the spark plug during the comeback, hit the biggest shot of the night to send the game into OT, and was the MVP of the game. And you're complaining?

3. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But it really wasn't a **** poor defensive effort. Lillard hit some tough shots and hit shots against whoever guarded him. It certainly wasn't a lack of effort. Lillard is just a shot maker, especially when he gets hot.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Hill could score 90 points and you'd complain that he only had 6 assists lol. His defense wasn't as bad as you'd think, Lillard just hit tough shots in his face. The guy scored 37, was the spark plug during the comeback, hit the biggest shot of the night to send the game into OT, and was the MVP of the game. And you're complaining?
    Assists mean nothing to me when evaluating a player's performance. The Pacers' system is not conducive to point guards putting up big assist numbers. Hill has always been clutch as a Pacer, and when he's actually aggressive, he really gives the Pacers a spark. However, his aggression is hit or miss, and he continues to get torched by opposing point guards. His offense was huge for us considering Paul George is in a phase where he thinks he's Reggie when in reality he's been Jalen. But Hill's continual lackluster play on the defensive end, can't be excused.

Then you can say the same about Isaiah, Dragic, Livingston, Curry, Dragic again, and then Marshall and Lawson with their playmaking in recent games.. George Hill was just unfortunate they all happened to be hitting garbage shots.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I assume that you apply the same reasoning to how PG24 did in the game as well ( but switch offense and defense for PG24 )?
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-08-2014 at 01:33 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I assume that you apply the same reasoning to how PG24 did in the game as well ( but switch offense and defense for PG24 )?
    George has been horrid. But people have acknowledged that. Nobody is mentioning how poorly Hill played defensively due to his amazing effort on offense tonight. Hill is great for us when he's aggressive like this. But he's got to clean it up a bit defensively.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Then you can say the same about Isaiah, Dragic, Livingston, Curry, Dragic again, and then Marshall and Lawson with their playmaking in recent games.. George Hill was just unfortunate they all happened to be hitting garbage shots.
    The first time we played the Kings, Thomas didn't score double figures, Dragic did torch Hill both times, Curry had an average game for him and Lawson nor Marshall scored well.

It's 82games, players are going to have good games sometimes--ESPECIALLY at the PG position nowadays. But there have been plenty of times pgs haven't scored/**** well against Hill. It actually happens more often than not

We've got the best defense and the best record in the league. That doesn't happen with a complete defensive liability at the point guard position these days.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Isaiah scored but was FAR from efficient. Hill hounded Curry very well, and once again Curry wasn't efficient, 3-11 from 3... Dragic and Livingston lit everyone up that guarded them except for the second half of the second PHX, PG actually defended him well. Marshall scored 11, Lawson scored 12...

Players torching Hill has been overstated greatly.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

The first time we played the Kings, Thomas didn't score double figures, Dragic did torch Hill both times, Curry had an average game for him and Lawson nor Marshall scored well.

It's 82games, players are going to have good games sometimes--ESPECIALLY at the PG position nowadays. But there have been plenty of times pgs haven't scored/**** well against Hill. It actually happens more often than not

We've got the best defense and the best record in the league. That doesn't happen with a complete defensive liability at the point guard position these days.
    This is true. But in this bad stretch we've had on the defensive end of late, opposing point guards have been having their way with us, whether by scoring or playmaking or both. Everybody needs to clean it up on the defensive end, and much of this is due to the Pacers trying to run with Western Conference teams and taking too many outside jumpers ourselves. Hill's defense, or lack thereof, has really stood out to me during this poor defensive stretch. And yes, I've been even more frustrated with Paul than I have been with George.

EDIT: Lawson and Marshall's PLAYMAKING is what destroyed Hill. Both scored in the low double digits, but both could have put up 20 assists as well if their teammates had hit some open jumpers. On defense, it's necessary to defend the pass just as well as you defend the shot.

Thumbs up Re: Pacers / Blazers Post Game Thread - 2/7

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

I didn't realize Hill was that close to a triple double.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    About Paul George: no other team in the league outside of Miami asks one player to be their best offensive and best defensive player. That isn't something you master in one season. It's gonna be a multi year process and I expect a lot more games like this one. If we were just asking him to score efficiently I think he could do that pretty easily.
    I'm great with that. I'd be fine if PG averaged 18ppg this year... we clearly have the offensive firepower to win plenty of games without him putting up gaudy numbers. He just has to be efficient about it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Bull. Hill defended fine; he broke up a bunch of plays (more than the 3 turnovers Lillard is credited with) and did a solid job in his man-to-man coverage. They were running Lillard off picks all night long; defending the pick is a team effort. Lillard scored on everybody who guarded him: PG, CJ, and Hill. He was in a zone. Despite that, he scored one more point than Hill but took seven more shots.

George Hill's defense wasn't the problem tonight.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

23. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

As an aside... have we had two players on the same team go off for 30 in a game yet this year? That's impressive.

Enjoy your time at PD!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Where are all the George Hill haters at? Hill is the perfect PG for the Pacers style of offense

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

He was also playing with a sprained toe during that stretch.

Injured Hill and healthy Hill are two totally different players on defense.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

I'd have to watch the game again to be sure, but Lillard scored a lot on pick and rolls and pick and pops. There's not a lot you can do as a defender when your guy takes a step around a three and drains a three or makes a contested jumper with a hand in his face. You can't take away every shot. The Pacer's defense is designed to take away the high percentage shots. If they make the low percentage shots don't blame Hill, blame Vogel for the scheme.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

The pick and roll requires help defense. Roy is simply not quick enough to get out there. None of this is Hill's fault.

Roy is sad because no one tried to come to the rim. I think that's the best way to try to beat Pacers.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Roy is sad because no one tried to come to the rim. I think that's the best way to try to beat Pacers.
    Yup. Our defense gives long 2-pointers. To beat the Pacers, you have to get ridiculously hot on those long 2s. Portland was, but it wasn't enough.

Enjoy your time at PD!

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

We can look at the totality of player influence on the game and say that Hill had a great game. He is excused. And your constant attention to the Kings game as Hill playing bad shows that you are not looking at the total game. Thomas was inefficient. Livingston wasn't guarded by Hill. He had Williams.

Dragic is torching everyone. Marshall did not have a great game. Lawson didn't have a great game.

Wall was bothered by Hill. The pick and roll defense isn't the best. And Hill has to step up. And so does the whole team. But Hill isn't the worst defender at his position. He is one of the best.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    And please stop ******** on PG and Roy. Did they play well? No they didn't and that's ok, it happens. But they did keep working and both guys contributed big buckets in the end.
    Paul George is our franchise player and deserves every bit of criticism he is receiving. Indiana basketball fans DO NOT like to see a guy force shot after shot and complain to the refs/not get back on defense every time a call doesn't go his way. Paul George didn't get back on defense AT ALL after that forced layup near the end of the 4th quarter...we got lucky they didn't hit the wide open 3 (wide open since PG was crying ala Lebron on the other side.)

Paul George needs to learn when he is having an off night and play within the flow of the game. I love PG and what he brings to this team overall, but recently he's turning me off with the complaining to the refs and just flat out not getting back on defense is becoming a theme with him.

This team has lots of options, no reason for anyone player to force the issue.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    He's been excellent. Taking out the Orlando game, since he only played 26 minutes because all starters not named Lance had sub 30 minutes, he is averaging 23ppg, 9rpg, 3.3apg, 67% shooting, 5 FTAs, 89% FT, 1.3bpg, and 1spg.

Looking at his game log, It really goes back to the Jan. 10th game against Washington. Take out the Clipper game where he got ejected at halftime and the recent Orlando game where he played less than his usual minutes, he's only scored under 15 twice. He's only shot under 50% in 4 of the 14 games. He's shot better than 60% in 5 of the 14. Since the loss to Atlanta, which was before the Washington game, West really started playing better. He probably would be in the ASG over Milsap if he was playing at that level all season long.
    Good stats. West has just really been on a roll lately and I think that he has been the best player on the team over the last couple of weeks. Stats aside, the eye test just tells you that he's playing well. He's backing guys down with a ton of muscle, he's quick to turn around on the fluid fadeaways, and he's scrapping on the defensive side of the ball. I thought he looked a little bit old at times to start the season, but he's been on fire lately and it's great to see. This is the West that was such a monster for us last season. He should be getting like 15 shots a game right now.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-08-2014 at 10:48 AM.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

meh. PG/Roy has had some bad games....happens to all good players. The important thing is that our TEAM won. Stats do not matter...wins do. With all of the accolades that PG has received lately, I am not surprised that he whines to the Refs. The TOP players whine all the time, so PG is right in line with his perceived greatness. I, too, wish he wouldn't do it; but it isn't really that detrimental to this team, considering our record.