Thread: Tony Gonzalez not closing the door on a return at some point in 2014

Default Tony Gonzalez not closing the door on a return at some point in 2014

He's becoming Favresque here

http://beta.thescore.com/nfl/news/427412

Many people feel future hall of fame tight end Tony Gonzalez would be crazy to retire while still playing at a high level, and on Friday he didn't sound like a man sure of his decision.

Gonzalez appeared on CBS Radio and said he could return if the Atlanta Falcons were in a favorable position next season.

Can I get back to the last couple of years when I used to say Im 97-percent sure? Gonzalez said. Id probably take them up on that offer, especially if theyre 10-0.

Gonzalez also said something similar to quarterback Matt Ryan that was captured in a feature for ESPN.

"Maybe, if the team is hot in November, 9-2 or something, I could come back for the last two months."

Considering the Falcons went 4-12 in 2013, believing they will be 10-0 in November may be somewhat ambitious.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tony Gonzalez not closing the door on a return at some point in 2014

I don't really blame him. He was originally going to retire after 2012, but then he won the first playoff game of his career and the team was a hair away from the Super Bowl. Pretty hard to walk away when you're still at the top of your game and are on a team that came close. So he thought he would give it one final go this season. But then the unthinkable happened and that team was unfathomably awful and he didn't get that last chance that he thought he'd get. As hard as it was to walk away after a great season like 2012, it's probably almost equally hard to walk away after a season like 2013 when you're still playing well but the team sucks. I don't blame him for kind of flirting with the idea.

Default Re: Tony Gonzalez not closing the door on a return at some point in 2014

I'm sure it was but if this was Favre people would be bashing him for his indecisiveness and being me-first(rightfully so) the same should be said about Tony G since like Favre he wants to skip preseason and training camp but wants to be available if the Falcons go on a tear.

If the Falcons were on a tear they probably wouldn't want to waste their money on him to begin with since he clearly wasn't a factor in them winning or losing last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure it was but if this was Favre people would be bashing him for his indecisiveness and being me-first(rightfully so) the same should be said about Tony G since like Favre he wants to skip preseason and training camp but wants to be available if the Falcons go on a tear.

If the Falcons were on a tear they probably wouldn't want to waste their money on him to begin with since he clearly wasn't a factor in them winning or losing last season.

Favre got criticism because he played the most noteworthy position on the team, a position in which only one person on the team can play. Green Bay knew that they had a stud waiting in the wings behind him and Favre's indecisiveness was messing up their unleashing of that beast.

This is a bit different. Gonzo is just a tight end and I don't think he's screwing up the development of any young stud TE on the Falcons. He still had a pretty good season. 8 TDs and 859 yards is pretty good for an old TE. Not his fault that the offensive line was awful, the defense sucked, Julio Jones got hurt, Roddy White was a shell of himself, and their QB will probably never quite be great enough to pull wins out of his a** in the most adverse of circumstances like a Manning or Brady. Gonzo did exactly what they expected of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Favre got criticism because he played the most noteworthy position on the team, a position in which only one person on the team can play. Green Bay knew that they had a stud waiting in the wings behind him and Favre's indecisiveness was messing up their unleashing of that beast.

This is a bit different. Gonzo is just a tight end and I don't think he's screwing up the development of any young stud TE on the Falcons. He still had a pretty good season. 8 TDs and 859 yards is pretty good for an old TE. Not his fault that the offensive line was awful, the defense sucked, Julio Jones got hurt, Roddy White was a shell of himself, and their QB will probably never quite be great enough to pull wins out of his a** in the most adverse of circumstances like a Manning or Brady. Gonzo did exactly what they expected of him.

Those are all legit points but his comments about him being only open to return if the team is on the verge of an SB run were rather unnerving I mean at his age and with his career I can understand that but if they're on the verge of an SB run without him why would they waste their time bringing him back when he's clearly not needed. Which is why it will be hilarious if the Falcons manage to go to the SB without him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Those are all legit points but his comments about him being only open to return if the team is on the verge of an SB run were rather unnerving I mean at his age and with his career I can understand that but if they're on the verge of an SB run without him why would they waste their time bringing him back when he's clearly not needed. Which is why it will be hilarious if the Falcons manage to go to the SB without him.

Yeah, it sounds like he just wants to play in the fun parts now. In hindsight, he probably should have just politely requested a trade this year when it was clear that Atlanta's season was sunk. I'm sure that the Falcons would have sought to accommodate him since it's likely that some contender out there would have given them something for his services.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like he just wants to play in the fun parts now. In hindsight, he probably should have just politely requested a trade this year when it was clear that Atlanta's season was sunk. I'm sure that the Falcons would have sought to accommodate him since it's likely that some contender out there would have given them something for his services.

I believe this as well curious if he would want to go to another team like the Pats or something.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post: