Thread: Steph Curry, defensively

Sports Logo

Default Steph Curry, defensively

As I am casually watching this Bulls/Warriors game on TNT, I am curious what people think of Steph Curry as a defensive player. I can't say I've watched him enough, but when I look at his body type I have a hard time believing he can be that much of a presence on the defensive end.

As great as Kevin Durant is offensively, I was watching that OKC/Miami game last week and I couldn't help but notice he stood around on the defensive end a LOT. LeBron defended him, but he didn't defend LeBron.

This is why I adore Paul George. He puts so much energy into the defensive end, and he often leads us offensively as well. Does this mean he is better than Durant? Of course not. Or does it?

I have digressed a bit so you can respond in a variety of ways, I guess....

*What do you think of Steph Curry's defense?
    *Regardless of how you feel about Steph defensively, what are your thoughts about overall player value? If a player is unquestionably the best offensive player in the league, but also unquestionably a C- defensive player, can they still be considered a top 5 or top 10 player in the league?

p.s. I'm going to the Pacers/Blazers game. In your faces.
    Last edited by Randolph_HorseLips; 02-07-2014 at 02:22 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Randolph_HorseLips For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Steph Curry, defensively

Steve Nash was one of the best offensive players in the league and was a D- on defense and he won two MVPs.

As for Durant, I think he doesn't guard LeBron because he doesn't have to. If they had no one else I'm guessing he would, but why waste energy you don't have to. Didn't we have Lance on Durant to start the OKC game this year? Am I remembering that wrong?

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He leaves a lot to be desired IMO, tremendous offensive player though

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for Durant, I think he doesn't guard LeBron because he doesn't have to. If they had no one else I'm guessing he would,
    Or does he not have to because he's not anything special defensively? Sefolosha (sp?) and probably Ibaka are better options, which make them valuable. If that renders Durant as a floater defensively, how much does that diminish his value? How much is 6' 10" athletism wasted defensively?

As for Nash winning the MVP, does that deepen the argument that perhaps there is too much emphasis on offense when it comes to determining value?
    Last edited by Randolph_HorseLips; 02-07-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Sports Logo

I will throw a third question into this mix, and let's assume for a moment that LeBron and Durant are the two best players in the league...

When you hear fans or "experts" talking about how Curry is a top 5 player in the league, or how Carmelo is a top 10 player in the league, don't you assume they are only noticing the offensive end of the court?

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph_HorseLips View Post
    I will throw a third question into this mix, and let's assume for a moment that LeBron and Durant are the two best players in the league...

When you hear fans or "experts" talking about how Curry is a top 5 player in the league, or how Carmelo is a top 10 player in the league, don't you assume they are only noticing the offensive end of the court?
    Of course most casual fans only notice the sexiness of the offensively gifted players... And the league has for the most part helped to promote them as well, while that is about all the likes of ESPN shows... I think in this day and age where the rules are as such to promote scoring, and to benefit the offensive player, being a great defender is a heck of an accomplishment... That's how a guy like James Harden is valued as high as he is where a guy like MKG or even Ian are undervalued...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

Or does he not have to because he's not anything special defensively? Sefolosha (sp?) and probably Ibaka are better options, which make them valuable. If that renders Durant as a floater defensively, how much does that diminish his value? How much is 6' 10" athletism wasted defensively?

As for Nash winning the MVP, does that deepen the argument that perhaps there is too much emphasis on offense when it comes to determining value?
    I agree, offense is over valued and defense is undervalued by MVP/award voters.

As for Durant, I don't see it as a waste, it's just an efficient use of your resources. Remember Pippen would often guard the teams best wing player, doesn't diminish how good Jordan was as a defender.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Curry is a great shooter and very good player, but anyone saying he is top 5 is nuts. He is a turnover machine, bad defender and a poor selector of shots, he has great passing instincts though. He's young and will get much better and more refined, probably only be an average defender at best, but that's fine.

Carmelo is what he is, he's a great scorer, good rebounder, he's not as bad a passer as some say IMO. He showed a complete game in college and with the Olympic team, but I'm glad he's not the best player on my team. He is probably a top 10 player though.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    I think in this day and age where the rules are as such to promote scoring, and to benefit the offensive player, being a great defender is a heck of an accomplishment...
    For a second there I thought you were talking about the NFL. I actually think the NBA promotes defense more than it used to, with the "go straight up" type of Hibbert defense and all.

In most sports, for whatever reason, I still think there is something to defense and "defense wins championships". Recent baseball history has shown that great pitching and bad hitting is better than the other way around. The NFL? Just let me mention the Seahawks. And in basketball you could make an argument that the NBA's Final Four last year were also the NBA's best 4 best defensive teams... Pacers, Heat, Spurs, Grizz.

I do suspect you have a point that casual fans and ESPN get too much of a hard on for offense.
    Last edited by Randolph_HorseLips; 02-07-2014 at 02:42 AM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    As for Durant, I don't see it as a waste, it's just an efficient use of your resources..
    Nicely stated.

Sports Logo

Remember being a good defender takes a ton of energy and Durant's job is to score and score a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Remember being a good defender takes a ton of energy and Durant's job is to score and score a ton.
    I do agree. PG does play hard at both ends, but he's got more help than Durant does. Hibbert, West and Lance can all score some points when needed.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!