Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul George to participate in dunk contest

Default Paul George to participate in dunk contest

Via Marc Spears, he got robbed last time, he's the favorite this year imo

Default Re: Paul George to participate in dunk contest

Wall, Ross, and Lillard are also to participate. Not a bad dunk off...IMO Ross will take it this year
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully he will leave the lights on this time so people can actually see the dunk.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

"We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully he will leave the lights on this time so people can actually see the dunk.
    Apparently that dunk was supposed to feature a glowing basketball, but that didn't work out for whatever reason. Had that ball been glowing green like the rest of the glow-in-the-dark stuff was, then it might have worked. But without it, it just flopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Apparently that dunk was supposed to feature a glowing basketball, but that didn't work out for whatever reason. Had that ball been glowing green like the rest of the glow-in-the-dark stuff was, then it might have worked. But without it, it just flopped.
    I'd pay a decent chunk of money to purchase that jersey he wore for the dunk contest though.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Chances Lancealot is involved in his routine? A MILLION ZILLION PERCENT CHANCE

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Chances Lancealot is involved in his routine? A MILLION ZILLION PERCENT CHANCE
    Sir Lancealot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kevin Hart.

And if that little midget plays a role in stealing PG's dunk title again.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought PG's Tron dunk was pretty sweet looking, even if hard to see. Very innovative. Of all the "gimmicky" dunks that have occurred, I thought that one had a lot of potential. I think had he put on more glow-stuff, it would've brought more imagery to it. Like his shoes, wristbands, the ball... all shoulda been glowing. It was still pretty sweet imagery, especially in slow-mo.

And as a side note --- Lance should've made the ASG, period. Can you imagine BornReady in the freelance-style of the ASG? He easily would be the most entertaining player on the court. Isn't that what it's about? Now we get to watch Joe Johnson jack up some spot-up jumpers? Woooooooo......................................
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-06-2014 at 02:17 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Jimmy Kimmel talked of helping him. I hope he does.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

People are just going to whine about how the dunk contest sucks even those these dunks are much harder than what people remember in the "glory days" People are just spoiled. There is nothing wrong with the dunk contest.
    @qandrews9428

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I disagree whole-heartedly. As someone who grew up watching dunk contests in the 90s, reaching their pinnacle with Vince Carter in 2000 (the best dunk performance I've ever seen), everything since then has been anemic:

1) They don't attract the superstars anymore. When Jeremy Evans wins an anemic contest, there's something wrong.
    2) The dunkers don't seem as polished. They take 5 or even 10+ attempts to nail a dunk. Back in the day, you never saw more than 1-2 missed dunks.
    3) The emphasis is more on gimmicks and props instead of just the dunker himself. 'Nique, Jordan, VC... those guys didn't need gimmicks and props. They just needed themselves... and a ball. And everything they did blew anything these newer kids do out of the water. There's little creativity accept using 2-3 balls, or jumping over 2-3 guys half their height...

There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Paul should just play giant video of his Clippers dunk,

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I disagree whole-heartedly. As someone who grew up watching dunk contests in the 90s, reaching their pinnacle with Vince Carter in 2000 (the best dunk performance I've ever seen), everything since then has been anemic:

1) They don't attract the superstars anymore. When Jeremy Evans wins an anemic contest, there's something wrong.
    2) The dunkers don't seem as polished. They take 5 or even 10+ attempts to nail a dunk. Back in the day, you never saw more than 1-2 missed dunks.
    3) The emphasis is more on gimmicks and props instead of just the dunker himself. 'Nique, Jordan, VC... those guys didn't need gimmicks and props. They just needed themselves... and a ball. And everything they did blew anything these newer kids do out of the water. There's little creativity accept using 2-3 balls, or jumping over 2-3 guys half their height...

People would say it was boring if they just did those dunks. If the same guys dunked today people would say it was the worst dunk contest ever. Do you know how hard people would hate if someone did his last dunk in a contest today? You always remember things being better than they actually are. I like the idea of not getting multiple attempts though. That does take away quality.

Also, how can you possibly say dunking 2-3 balls at the same time is not impressive? When Javale did that was one of the most impressive dunks I have ever seen.
    Last edited by boombaby1987; 02-06-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    @qandrews9428

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Everything has just been done before. You can only jump from the free throw line so many times. If players attempted the dunks you saw in the early 90's people would think it was boring. You see more dunk attempts (misses) because guys are trying to do something different. I believe the gimmicks were introduced to add something new to it. I hate gimmicks though.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

The issue of lack of star power is a much bigger deal than quality of dunks IMO. Some of these guys might be fine dunkers, but I really don't care to watch 2 borderline starters, 2 bench guys, and 1 guy who has spent most of the year in a suit every year.

Luckily they have at least 2 all stars in this field.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Its not the star power that I care for. It is the props. The gimmicks have outshined the game. And when the gimmicks become the focal point, that flash in the pan will fizzle out.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I'm hoping yesterday's rumor will blow over by the time of the contest so he can do a sweet 'rock the cradle' dunk.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul's baby mama must have convinced him to join. She probably wants that Kia when he wins.

Im excited though, this lineup is great. Every contestant can fly, outside of John Wall. Im sure he will be just fine too. Too bad Oladipo wasnt invited. Maybe next year
    I Bleed Blue

33. The Following User Says Thank You to CreekShow For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Also I don't expect anyone in the NBA to put on a show like Carter did. That was the best display of dunking in a contest ever.

The only dunk that could be toped is the free throw line 2 hander. James White did windmills from there.

The between the legs 360 and windmill from the free throw will get people talking if PG can do that. I just hope he doesn't do the same 360 windmill with a new gimmick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

VC wasn't necessarily doing anything that hadn't been done before --- it was his flair and power and precision. This is my point. He was an extremely polished dunker. Even PG can lay down a technically difficult dunk, like the Clipper dunk... but he does lack VCs power and flair.

I dunno.... watching PG lose to guys like Jeremy Evans and the big white dude who each needed 10 attempts to land their prop-filled dunks was just a sad affair. There's no way those dunks were "as good", and there's no way I'm whining about it. The dunk contest is a shell of what it used to be. I'm not expecting people to be Vince Carter --- but I do expect these guys to be polished and not need 10 attempts to complete it. I used to look forward to the contest, and now it's tough to handle, the entire production.

Mood

I dunno.... watching PG lose to guys like Jeremy Evans and the big white dude who each needed 10 attempts to land their prop-filled dunks was just a sad affair. There's no way those dunks were "as good", and there's no way I'm whining about it. The dunk contest is a shell of what it used to be. I'm not expecting people to be Vince Carter --- but I do expect these guys to be polished and not need 10 attempts to complete it.
    They should lose a point, automatically, per attempt. That way there can at least be somewhat of a balance between doing a dunk the dunker knows they can pull off and attempting something that the dunker can only pull off one out of every ten times they try it, that might score high if completed.
    Last edited by Merz; 02-06-2014 at 08:37 PM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Unpopular opinion alert: Dunk contests in general don't really do anything for me - superstars or no. To me, VC's contest was probably the best I've seen, but still pales in comparison to his Olympic dunk over Bradley. In game, power dunks on top of somebody are always more exciting to me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

About every dunk possible has already been done. So I think he should just redo all the past great dunks that have won before, like a nostalgic review.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

So Roy told Candace he doesn't think Paul should do the dunk contest.

And you know Roy is usually declaring Paul George god's gift to basketball so this is a change in the MO.