Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Your Opinion Is This Harassment By Small Town Cops?(running at night)

Default In Your Opinion Is This Harassment By Small Town Cops?(running at night)

Ok.....where to begin. I've been dealing with runner's knee for a year now and after six months of long walks for rehab I've progressed to the point where I can run/walk. I do a lot of my exercise late at night.(between 10PM and 1AM) I have always preferred to run at night as it is cooler and less traffic/more peaceful although maybe not quite this late.

I do a lot of my walk/runs out of my neighborhood and have no problems. But that gets boring after a while. I like to drive to a neighboring town to walk to break up the scenery maybe once a week. So I've been going to this town that I used to live in by the way to do my walks and lately it seems I can't go there without being harassed by local Police. I don't understand it. When I lived there I ran at night all the time and never got stopped once.

I've been stopped 3 times over the last 6 months and been followed a couple other times. The first time the cop said he saw me running from a church. That was an out and out lie because my knee wouldn't even allow me to run at the time. He asked me for ID but I don't carry any when running so he took my name down. When I asked why he wanted my name when I was doing nothing wrong he said......"in case you are lying to me". Left a bad taste in my mouth for sure. Just last Sat. night a different cop(I think) was following me acting like he was checking parking lots and such but I knew what he was doing. When I took off on my running portion he pulled up beside me and said "what are you doing just running". I said yep. So he goes on down the road and pulls in somebody's driveway so I just run on by him as I have already said what I was doing.

He pulls out of the driveway and pulls up behind me down the road and at that point I have to stop. He asks me for ID which I don't have on me so at this point I feel like I'm on the defensive all for exercising. I tried to explain that I used to live there and ran at night ALL THE TIME but I'm still not sure he believed me. He said....."so you are headed back to your vehicle?". I took that to mean this workout is over lets wrap it up.This is getting to the ridiculous stage. It is not a crime to exercise at night. Not everybody works first shift. I'm nowhere near people's property. I'm usually on the side of the road or on a walking path. If I am doing nothing wrong I don't feel like I should even have to explain myself to these cops. Some of you might think it's weird to run at midnight but I doubt there is any serious runner that hasn't at some point. It's more common than you think. I guess they are just power hungry guys probably new to the force that have nothing better to do.

Should I go to the station and file a complaint or something? Will it even do any good? I can see getting stopped once but this is a Really small police force. Don't they communicate at all? Should cops be allowed to stop you just for being out late when you are minding your own business? Thoughts?

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: In Your Opinion Is This Harassment By Small Town Cops?(running at night)

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok.....where to begin. I've been dealing with runner's knee for a year now and after six months of long walks for rehab I've progressed to the point where I can run/walk. I do a lot of my exercise late at night.(between 10PM and 1AM) I have always preferred to run at night as it is cooler and less traffic/more peaceful although maybe not quite this late.

I do a lot of my walk/runs out of my neighborhood and have no problems. But that gets boring after a while. I like to drive to a neighboring town to walk to break up the scenery maybe once a week. So I've been going to this town that I used to live in by the way to do my walks and lately it seems I can't go there without being harassed by local Police. I don't understand it. When I lived there I ran at night all the time and never got stopped once.

I've been stopped 3 times over the last 6 months and been followed a couple other times. The first time the cop said he saw me running from a church. That was an out and out lie because my knee wouldn't even allow me to run at the time. He asked me for ID but I don't carry any when running so he took my name down. When I asked why he wanted my name when I was doing nothing wrong he said......"in case you are lying to me". Left a bad taste in my mouth for sure. Just last Sat. night a different cop(I think) was following me acting like he was checking parking lots and such but I knew what he was doing. When I took off on my running portion he pulled up beside me and said "what are you doing just running". I said yep. So he goes on down the road and pulls in somebody's driveway so I just run on by him as I have already said what I was doing.

He pulls out of the driveway and pulls up behind me down the road and at that point I have to stop. He asks me for ID which I don't have on me so at this point I feel like I'm on the defensive all for exercising. I tried to explain that I used to live there and ran at night ALL THE TIME but I'm still not sure he believed me. He said....."so you are headed back to your vehicle?". I took that to mean this workout is over lets wrap it up.This is getting to the ridiculous stage. It is not a crime to exercise at night. Not everybody works first shift. I'm nowhere near people's property. I'm usually on the side of the road or on a walking path. If I am doing nothing wrong I don't feel like I should even have to explain myself to these cops. Some of you might think it's weird to run at midnight but I doubt there is any serious runner that hasn't at some point. It's more common than you think. I guess they are just power hungry guys probably new to the force that have nothing better to do.

Should I go to the station and file a complaint or something? Will it even do any good? I can see getting stopped once but this is a Really small police force. Don't they communicate at all? Should cops be allowed to stop you just for being out late when you are minding your own business? Thoughts?
    You have done nothing wrong.

But, I will say, choose your battles wisely. Unless it is a real inconvenience, I would run somewhere else. More than likely these small town LEOs will not change for the better even after a complaint.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: In Your Opinion Is This Harassment By Small Town Cops?(running at night)

May I make a suggestion.... for the next couple of times stop by the locals and let them know you are going to be running and your general route. that way dispatch will at least be aware and be able to let the LEO know...and it never hurts to get friendly with them anyway. Secondly, and this is coming from a former EMT, carry your Id with you please. What if you are hurt or hit by a car while running. If you are found on the side of the road with no form of Id they have no idea who to notify or how to find if you have any medical conditions. Please carry some id.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't necessarily consider this to be harassment. I think they're just playing the odds, meaning that in general if someone they don't recognize is out in what would be considered late at night for most folks, typically that probably means they may be up to no good. Now that doesn't prove anything, but then again they didn't detain or arrest you, either, beyond stopping to have that talk with them, right? I think they're being cautious, and I think if you are cool/friendly with them and talk to them like they're on your side, I would imagine most would return a similar attitude.

I would agree with indygeezer, too, that it's probably best to have ID with you, even if you just throw your driver's license in your pocket rather than taking a full wallet. Makes it easier for both parties if you happen to be stopped again.

:2cents:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    May I make a suggestion.... for the next couple of times stop by the locals and let them know you are going to be running and your general route. that way dispatch will at least be aware and be able to let the LEO know...and it never hurts to get friendly with them anyway. Secondly, and this is coming from a former EMT, carry your Id with you please. What if you are hurt or hit by a car while running. If you are found on the side of the road with no form of Id they have no idea who to notify or how to find if you have any medical conditions. Please carry some id.
    + a 1000!!!!
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

You guys all make good points and if I start going there often again I will certainly go by the station. Should I really have to inconvenience myself is the real question.The only thing I was guilty of is being outside at midnight. I don't care what anybody says that is not probable cause. When the cop said he saw me running from a church he was "making up" probable cause. I tend to think officers do this a lot unfortunately. You guys are taking this lightly but I posted this topic on another board and it's now a 3 page discussion on individual rights and such.

I used to ride my bike or walk at all hours of the night. What I did was wear one of those flashlights like miners wear, I did it for 13 years until I moved from the area and was never stopped. The only problem I ever had was I didn't like the light around my forehead because the strap was to tight, so I just pulled it down around my neck. I had cops drive by me but they more or less ignored me. I guess they figured someone advertizing his presence with a light wasn't up to no good.

Do I think you are being harassed? Not at all. To me it would signify I was running in a safe area. However, I would wear light colored clothing, or get a light like I did.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 07-27-2013 at 01:04 AM.

What Will say's makes a lot of sense. If you are wearing reflective clothing or a light or something that clearly marks or identifies you as a runner I think they will notice you but pay a lot less attention to you.

I feel for you but I look at this from both points of view. By technical standards you are absolutely within your rights to jog at night and the Supreme Court has upheld over and over that you are not required to carry identification on you unless you are operating a motorized vehicle.

However there is the practical side that say's these cops wouldn't be doing their jobs if they spotted an unknown person running at night in an area that is not known for running.

Remember Police work is hard, very hard work. Not in physical labor but the amount of judgment they have to make on a daily basis is absurd.

Put yourself in their shoes. It's a small town, you probably know most of the people who live there and you see an unknown person doing an activity that is not normally done at that time of day. Would you be wrong if you stopped and asked the person what they were doing?

Now where I think you have a real case is when you explained you were running, proved you were running and the guy ran you out of town anyway. That was wrong on his part.

But to check you out, while technically it's not right, I think it's hard to fault them. Imagine if they didn't check on someone and that person ended up committing a crime.

But again I get your point, this isn't the Soviet Union where they go "citizen produce your papers".

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My perspective growing up in small town Indiana is that people are quite suspicious of perceived "outsiders." If you just go to the police station once and explain what you're doing and wear reflective clothing while running (if you don't already) I think you'll be fine. My best friend from Indiana is a sheriff's deputy in a rural county, and just knowing the way he does his work (I have gone on ride alongs with him) that's really all you need to do.

I know what you mean though, a couple years ago in Indiana a few friends and I went out to the boonies to fish and hang out. This was in the middle of the day too. A few bored cops came up on his, questioned us and even searched us. I have one friend who is very anti-social and not good around people he doesn't know, which was enough to make the cops think we were "suspicious." It was a crappy experience.

Mood

You guys kill me. How many of you saying the cops are just doing their job are card carrying members of the "don't tread on me" crowd?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the questioning stops at asking for his id/name, then I don't feel like it's treading on his rights. If the same cop was doing the stopping, then it would ping my radar more.

Mood

I would agree IF that's all it was. Except he clearly stated that one of them made up probable cause by saying he saw him running from a church, which clearly wasn't true because at the time an injury prevented him from running. Another time he was followed after already explaining himself. To me, both of those go beyond just asking for name and ID. And legally, he doesn't have to even show his ID. Unless an officer makes up probable cause that is...
    Last edited by travmil; 07-27-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    You guys kill me. How many of you saying the cops are just doing their job are card carrying members of the "don't tread on me" crowd?
    It's one thing to know I'm a stranger in their town walking or running around in the dark after midnight who they decide to watch or question, and it's another thing if they're truly 'treading on me' in some more meaningful way. I wouldn't feel oppressed in this situation any more than I do when I enter the courthouse and have to be stopped and wanded if I set off the metal detector with my belt buckle. It's reasonable and it's understandable, even though I haven't done anything wrong.

I would agree IF that's all it was. Except he clearly stated that one of them made up probable cause by saying he saw him running from a church, which clearly wasn't true because at the time an injury prevented him from running. Another time he was followed after already explaining himself. To me, both of those go beyond just asking for name and ID. And legally, he doesn't have to even show his ID. Unless an officer makes up probable cause that is...
    I agree with you about the lie regarding probable cause.

As for still following him, generally speaking people lie all the time (people up to no good who claim otherwise until caught), so I don't necessarily blame them for not totally trusting someone who is, to them, still essentially a stranger out at what is generally an atypical time of night. They have to play the odds to do their jobs well.

That all being said, if he starts wearing reflective gear or a light, that would likely make them ease off because odds are a would-be criminal would not advertise themselves in such a way, and cops know that, thus they would again play the odds and probably relax/ease off.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    ...so I don't necessarily blame them for not totally trusting someone who is, to them, still essentially a stranger out at what is generally an atypical time of night...
    Don't you find it upsetting that the only individual committing an illegal act in this scenario is the policeman who pressed him for ID and lied about his probable cause? This isn't a two wrongs don't make a right situation. There's only one wrong here. Maybe he could grease the wheels so to speak by communicating with the local police, but by absolutely NO means should he HAVE to do that to avoid being stopped by them for doing nothing illegal.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I agree with you about the lie regarding probable cause.

As for still following him, generally speaking people lie all the time (people up to no good who claim otherwise until caught), so I don't necessarily blame them for not totally trusting someone who is, to them, still essentially a stranger out at what is generally an atypical time of night. They have to play the odds to do their jobs well.

That all being said, if he starts wearing reflective gear or a light, that would likely make them ease off because odds are a would-be criminal would not advertise themselves in such a way, and cops know that, thus they would again play the odds and probably relax/ease off.
    Generally speaking, people who have an unjustified police encounter lie because they are extremely nervous about even engaging the police. Most people know that if a cop is asking you a question then it means they have already pegged you as somebody who is doing something wrong. Thus they lie. It doesn't matter that they might be doing something completely with in their rights, they feel like that have been singled out as a possible criminal. They say what ever is the most harmless activity they could possibly be doing at that moment.

I will agree with you that a night jogger should be wearing some sort of reflector or strobe light, and then would probably never be hassled by the police.

One time i had a run in a cop late at night. I was shooting some hoops at 1 AM at a local school in a lit parking lot. I was by myself. I noticed a truck pass by the school's side street several times like they was checking me out. Maybe they thought I was a drug dealer, or maybe they thought I looked like somebody easy to rob. Who knows? But i sensed a dangerous vibe and decided to leave. As I pulled out of the school I noticed the headlights of a cop car behind me at some distance and quickly they were on top of me. Being paranoid I phoned a close friend who lived near by and told him i am heading his way, I needed to get off the streets for a bit as I have a cop following me. As soon as I entered his neighborhood the cop pulled me over. Asked me for my documents. I asked what was the problem and he said that he seen me pull out of the school parking lot and I had tinted windows. I told him I was shooting hoops there, check out my clothes, see the basketball on the floor board. He then asked me if I lived in this neighborhood, and I said no i'm going to visit a friend for a bit before I head home. He immediately acted like I was lying to him...."basketball this late at night? Visiting a friend?" I immediately said, well sir it is the weekend. He told me they have had alot of breaks-ins around here and that I had tinted windows and that is why he stopped me.

I did not tell him anything about the truck that weird me out. He already thought I was a criminal and that I was a liar. His entire stop was based on the fact that it was late and I was pulling out of a school parking lot and that I had dark windows. So from that he decided that I was trouble. It made absolutely no sense to me, cause you know criminals don't hang out in well lit parking lots at 1 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Don't you find it upsetting that the only individual committing an illegal act in this scenario is the policeman who pressed him for ID and lied about his probable cause? This isn't a two wrongs don't make a right situation. There's only one wrong here. Maybe he could grease the wheels so to speak by communicating with the local police, but by absolutely NO means should he HAVE to do that to avoid being stopped by them for doing nothing illegal.

The reality about cops is that the majority of them do not know the laws they are enforcing. They do not care that a person has every right to be out late at night jogging. They can invent what ever reason they want to suspect you of a crime if you do something they think is abnormal or offensive to them. My personal policy when it comes to cops.....
    #1. don't talk to them
    #2 remove yourself from a cop's presence.

I don't care if i'm just driving down the road, if a cop is behind me I will pull into a gas station or whatever and just let him pass me. If I am walking down the street and I see a cop i will cross the street, and i'm not even black.

It's one thing to know I'm a stranger in their town walking or running around in the dark after midnight who they decide to watch or question, and it's another thing if they're truly 'treading on me' in some more meaningful way. I wouldn't feel oppressed in this situation any more than I do when I enter the courthouse and have to be stopped and wanded if I set off the metal detector with my belt buckle. It's reasonable and it's understandable, even though I haven't done anything wrong.
    I have to disagree with your comparison of these 2 examples. If your belt buckle sets off the metal detector, you are presenting an actionable situation. They are there to check you for metal objects the machine indicated you have one.

Being a stranger, jogging in a town late at night is not an actionable situation. You have presented them with no real actionable circumstances. Sure maybe they follow you, but really no reason to engage you. Its ridiculous to be harassed by the police in this situation.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 07-28-2013 at 03:07 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

It's getting real old let me tell you graphic-er. I haven't even mentioned the second small town not far from this one where I have been stopped another 4 times or so. They were far more cordial so I didn't see a need to mention it. They asked me what I was up to and I didn't get no hassle. They went on their way. Didn't feel like I was on the defensive like I did the first town.

By the way: This same topic I posted on another music message board has 109 responses and counting. This topic strikes a cord with people obviously. I know there are plenty of really good cops out there but I bet a good percentage of the population has had a bad experience with an officer at one time or another.
    Last edited by presto123; 07-28-2013 at 04:10 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I already said that I agreed with you about the lie of probable cause.

Mood

I already said that I agreed with you about the lie of probable cause.
    Yes I know you agreed. I highlighted that specific part of your reply for a reason. You agree about the lie, but then justified the police actions by saying he was a stranger, and out at an odd hour. Two things that are not illegal, and frankly are **** poor excuses for stopping and questioning someone. I'm not trying to be a jerk, this is just the way I see this particular situation. I generally fall on the side of the police, but here they have overstepped their bound in my opinion.
    Last edited by travmil; 07-28-2013 at 12:54 PM.

You make it sound like I have to either say they were 100% right or 100% wrong.

Unfortunately that is how many Cops treat citizens in their application of the law.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

It's getting real old let me tell you graphic-er. I haven't even mentioned the second small town not far from this one where I have been stopped another 4 times or so. They were far more cordial so I didn't see a need to mention it. They asked me what I was up to and I didn't get no hassle. They went on their way. Didn't feel like I was on the defensive like I did the first town.

By the way: This same topic I posted on another music message board has 109 responses and counting. This topic strikes a cord with people obviously. I know there are plenty of really good cops out there but I bet a good percentage of the population has had a bad experience with an officer at one time or another.
    The worst examples of these types of over reactions by police is when they insert themselves into a situation giving unlawful orders and then somebody is wrongfully arrested just based on how they are interacting with the police.

Mood

I'm not trying to tell anyone what opinion to have about this. I'm only explaining what MY opinion is and why. Obviously you hold a different opinion. As far as the 100% right or 100% wrong goes, unfortunately that's how our justice system works. Nobody has ever received a 65% innocent verdict.