Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

One thing we were really lacking in our 2nd unit was post scoring. Scola isn't much of a post player and specializes on that mid-range jumper. Bynum isn't what he used to be, but if he can give us just a little bit of post scoring he will be worth it

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roy Hibbert's twitter noticeably quiet, no?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All we really need for him to do is be a big body who can bang, finish at the rim, and be a presence in the paint for 10-15 mins per game. If he's able to do that, I think it's a great signing

I love this quote from Bird:
    The way these guys roll around here, I think they can handle themselves. They control their own locker room.
    If attitude is a problem, Bynum will be gone in less than a week. These guys have busted their butts to get to where they're at now. There's no freakin' way that anyone is going to walk into that locker room and be a problem.

And let's not forget - Bynum is using this as an audition for a contract next year. If he comes here and f's that up, his options for next year are really, really, really slim. Our guys are getting a similar rep as the Spurs. It's just a good environment. Good people all around. There's absolutely no way that Bynum comes here and screws that up. West will toss him out of the building in a second.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Every team that contends for a long period of time always has that one year in which their roster was clearly at it's best. This is probably that year for us. Will this team be as stacked next year? No, it looks like that will be almost impossible. But we just have to hope that we can keep enough of the core together to compete for a long time. Any team with PG and Hibbert is going to win some games, and hopefully we find a way to keep Lance. We'll be fine with a trio like that. Regardless, with Miami being vulnerable while going for their fourth straight Finals, THIS is the year that you go all in on a title. We don't know what will happen in the future, but we do know that our chances are pretty damn good this year. When our roster inevitably weakens a bit next year, we'll just have to deal with it. The 2000 Pacers were not the best team of the Miller era, but they got further than anyone else. We're going to be in position to make deep playoff runs for a long time.

That being said, I love what Bird is doing this year. His number one goal when coming back was to win the 2014 championship instead of worrying about the future. Bird spent 2008-2012 making moves with the future in mind, but our priorities are different now. It's all about hanging our first NBA championship banner this season. Everything else will have to be dealt with later.
    I agree.....I know that Bird has his priorities.....win a Championship THIS YEAR....and then figure it all out later. I just hope...somewhere in the back of his mind......he's figuring out some way to retain Lance without it "costing the Pacers" too much.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Thing about Bynum is: He's big enough, strong enough, long enough to affect a game even if he lacks athleticism. If he buys into a system, the dude can be an absolute monster off the bench for us. Phil Jackson used to tell Bynum to not worry about scoring. Worry about intangibles. Defense. Rebounds. Scoring will come. We're also talking about a guy who hobbled through (maybe it was the 2010 playoffs) on a torn meniscus and was a major reason (because he adhere to a system) they were able to win the championship that year. If Bynum is motivated and isn't required to score 20 plus points a night, he's a beast. I don't think his knees will be an issue. Kid does have a heart to win. Cavs situation and playing with a ball dominant Kobe who never really liked Bynum until he benefited him (see the trade requests, frustrations that they didn't trade him for Kidd) isn't exactly the best situations.

If Vogel can get him to adhere to our smash mouth system, the best defense in the league just called in a ****ing carpet bomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE2PRqI-_Bw

In that video he adhered to those beliefs. Rebounds. Defense. Team play.

I love you Larry Bird.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

Another point to add is this: Bynum adhering to the intangibles I mentioned is perfect. Because now we're probably the only team I can think of that has a back up front line EVER where the drop off isn't very substantial, and the four players play eerily similar. Of course Luis isn't as aggressive as David West, but they're both savvy. Bynum isn't as mobile as Hibbert, but they're both tall centers with length that can affect the game without scoring.

Amazing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds like the players are standing up and setting ground rules for him, this is good. Letting him know this is a serious locker room. How Bynum responds will go a long way. He'll prove a lot of folks wrong if he comes in and shows respect, keeps his mouth shut, stays upright, and works hard. He could earn his way back as a starter in this league.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    Thing about Bynum is: He's big enough, strong enough, long enough to affect a game even if he lacks athleticism. If he buys into a system, the dude can be an absolute monster off the bench for us. Phil Jackson used to tell Bynum to not worry about scoring. Worry about intangibles. Defense. Rebounds. Scoring will come. We're also talking about a guy who hobbled through (maybe it was the 2010 playoffs) on a torn meniscus and was a major reason (because he adhere to a system) they were able to win the championship that year. If Bynum is motivated and isn't required to score 20 plus points a night, he's a beast. I don't think his knees will be an issue. Kid does have a heart to win. Cavs situation and playing with a ball dominant Kobe who never really liked Bynum until he benefited him (see the trade requests, frustrations that they didn't trade him for Kidd) isn't exactly the best situations.

If Vogel can get him to adhere to our smash mouth system, the best defense in the league just called in a ****ing carpet bomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE2PRqI-_Bw

In that video he adhered to those beliefs. Rebounds. Defense. Team play.

I love you Larry Bird.
    Someone that has watched videos of him playing in Cleveland will have to tell me......but has he really lost his athleticism?

or

Is he simply not as athletic as he once was ( but is still somewhat athletic for a Big Man )?

I recall that Bynum was considered to be extremely athletic for a Big Man.....I'm hoping that he still has some explosiveness and mobility.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

"We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Another point to add is I'm not completely confident in the defensive integrity of having Scola and Ian roaming around together for extended back up minutes in the playoffs. Scola isn't the best one on one defender and Ian is late on rotations, and hardly ever gets the benefit of the doubt. Bynum is the perfect complement to a power forward whose one on one defense isn't great. That's a huge coup for the Pacers, giving Hibbert and West much needed rest. Or God forbid they wind up in foul trouble. If all of what I said turns out to be impossible, and Bynum sucks, Ian isn't the worst consolation price. Just not ideal.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Someone that has watched videos of him playing in Cleveland will have to tell me......but has he really lost his athleticism?

or

Is he simply not as athletic as he once was ( but is still somewhat athletic for a Big Man )?

I recall that Bynum was considered to be extremely athletic for a Big Man.....I'm hoping that he still has some explosiveness and mobility.
    He seems somewhat slower than I remember. But I never remembered him being an awfully quick player to begin with. He affected games with his immense size. Dude is built like a 7'0 line backer, with the a large wingspan.

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    "We're hoping that the second he walks into the locker room, everyone welcomes him with open arms and he feels the the chemistry of the team as soon as he walks in." - PG

They're going to police this dude. And support him. This really is one of the best, if not THE best, place for Bynum.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    He seems somewhat slower than I remember. But I never remembered him being an awfully quick player to begin with. He affected games with his immense size. Dude is built like a 7'0 line backer, with the a large wingspan.
    I know that he's not the Bynum from his Laker days.....but I always equated him with being an Athletic version of Eddy Curry who could actually rebound and block shots. Before u say Eddy Frakin Curry? I'm purely speaking from a scoring / Offensive perspective. Remember....Curry was actually a very solid and efficient Low Post scorer before he fell into an All U Can Eat Buffet.

If Bynum can still put up similar numbers as what he did in Cleveland or show a fraction of what he showed in LaLaLand......he would immensely help on the offensive end. Mahinmi is doing a solid job on the defensive end....but his offensive skills are limited and his scoring just comes from bunnies and put backs.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

Interesting.
    I bet the players are down playing it a bit for two reasons:

1) Out of respect for Ian's feelings. They don't want to seem as though they see this as a big upgrade over Ian.

2) They've worked hard to get where they're at, which is the top. They're leery that the Bynum addition could now become the story, when they think they were going to win it all without him.

My opinion? Great signing. 6 more quality fouls to give in the middle could be huge.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I know that he's not the Bynum from his Laker days.....but I always equated him with being an Athletic version of Eddy Curry who could actually rebound and block shots. Before u say Eddy Frakin Curry? I'm purely speaking from a scoring / Offensive perspective. Remember....Curry was actually a very solid and efficient Low Post scorer before he fell into an All U Can Eat Buffet.

If Bynum can still put up similar numbers as what he did in Cleveland or show a fraction of what he showed in LaLaLand......he would immensely help on the offensive end. Mahinmi is doing a solid job on the defensive end....but his offensive skills are limited and his scoring just comes from bunnies and put backs.
    I think what happens after extended layoff due to injury is that the expectation for a drop off in mobility and athleticism is so ingrained in people's thinking that they become biased when they see the player finally play (Ala Granger). You gotta remember the physiological factor of returning from as many surgeries as Bynum has had, as well as the factor of lack of motivation due to playing for a **** poor team that doesn't even have an ounce of winning culture. Say what you will about Bynum, but I think his mentality is misunderstood. He doesn't want to lose. He lost his passion for basketball because he's hardly ever been a part of a losing culture such as Cleveland. Larry must have seen that fact. I wouldn't read much into his lack of mobility in his limited stint at Cleveland. Because he showed flashes of that not being the case (20ish points, 10ish rebonds, 5 block, 5 assist game against Chicago where he used Noah like a rag doll).

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

Andrew Bynum is a Pacer now. I'm going to stand behind him. I never want one of our players to fail.

28. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to GrangerRanger For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Larry to PG: I need you to trust me on this and do your very best to make sure the team does everything in its power to ensure the best possible chance for this to succeed...

Give Paul credit...hes trying to sell it...and believe it...but its clear...hes a bit skeptical and has some doubts...as im sure just about everyone does...

Im sure the guys on the team thought they were good enough to win it all...they didnt need anyone else...let alone Andrew Bynum...Im sure there is a tendency by many in that lockerroom to wonder why do this....whats wrong with what weve got...

Like I said...its gonna be interesting...

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

A lot of folks on the Forum have mentioned Ian playing some time at the 4. Maybe one more little bonus, if Bynum can play some minutes? David and Scola could get a little rest in some games and let IM try his hand at PF. If we get half of AB's potential for the rest of the season for a million dollars, we are waay ahead of the game. Good job, Legend.

IMO, you simply cannot turn this guy down for a million dollars. The only thing he could possibly destroy is his own chance to succeed on this team. Our team is waaaaaaaay too tight knit to allow him to mess up what's already been built. Bynum knows this, and he's also playing for a contract beyond this season. He will be on his best behavior. Vogel and Bird command instant respect, as do our successful players. There's a reason that he really wants to be here. With his own championship experience, he also knows that title winning teams don't succeed by having locker room cancers. I think he'll be a good soldier.

He has two things in possession that no one outside of Mahinmi owns - championship rings. And he won them by being a big producer in the Lakers' starting lineup alongside Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant. He also had PJ coaching him. I think he knows a thing or two about successful championship basketball.

It definitely kind of sucks for Mahinmi because had been solid overall this year, but Bynum at less than 50% still brings more offensive skills to the table. Regardless, I think that we will need both of these guys against the Heat. We don't want West or Hibbert getting into foul trouble against Miami, but we could without question use Mahinmi and Bynum as a couple of goons off the bench who can lay some hard fouls to the Heat when they try to take it inside.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    A lot of folks on the Forum have mentioned Ian playing some time at the 4. Maybe one more little bonus, if Bynum can play some minutes? David and Scola could get a little rest in some games and let IM try his hand at PF. If we get half of AB's potential for the rest of the season for a million dollars, we are waay ahead of the game. Good job, Legend.
    this could be good

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I would think he would only play PF if there were foul trouble or injury to either West or Scola... which is some nice insurance (at least on defense -- also depends on match-ups, b/c in some cases Granger would be better) at least.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Gotta Play Big

He will be a backup and hardly the reason this team wins a title.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Vogel:

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

If he produces and helps this team win games, then our players will warm up to him pretty quickly. It's that simple.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post: