Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hold on there. We actually have a damn good staff and have been consistently healthy for a long time now. This is who Bynum is and Granger was just the worst luck ever.

For what it's worth, Bynum went on to have his best season ever the year after the Celtics finals if he's talking about 2011. Wade and Kobe have also had monster performances shortly after getting their knee drained.

The fact that they're still reviewing the MRI is pretty scary, though.
    its merely a joke, but it goes far beyond Bynum (his knees were shot before he got here tho) and Granger. There is JO and Bender as well. Plus the whole shooting percentages thing. The Suns are always such an offensive team. Seeing Gerald Green and Plumlee excel there. Hell JO got healthy there and returned to good NBA player.

On the whole the Pacers have had pretty good luck when it comes to injuries with this core and the staff has to get credit there. And we brought in West after his ACL injury and there is no issue there. In no way am I blaming our staff for the knee injuries, thats just basketball, its incredible difficult on your knees.

But its just kinda funny to say we are the anti-Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    If I am the Knicks, I say **** spending $15 million per season on Phil Jackson. Just hire one of these brainy nerds like Ryan McDonough on the cheap, then throw the rest of that money at the Suns training staff. It's pretty clear they possess the elixir of life.

I think it's also the weather. Phoenix is warm mostly year round. Cold weather is bad for bones and joints.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    its merely a joke, but it goes far beyond Bynum (his knees were shot before he got here tho) and Granger. There is JO and Bender as well. Plus the whole shooting percentages thing. The Suns are always such an offensive team. Seeing Gerald Green and Plumlee excel there. Hell JO got healthy there and returned to good NBA player.

On the whole the Pacers have had pretty good luck when it comes to injuries with this core and the staff has to get credit there. And we brought in West after his ACL injury and there is no issue there. In no way am I blaming our staff for the knee injuries, thats just basketball, its incredible difficult on your knees.

But its just kinda funny to say we are the anti-Suns.

JO had had so many surgeries though. We got rid of him at the right time. He had his elite years here but we traded him just as he was on his way down. Smart move. At least we got him at his best. Remember, if it wasn't for Indy...he'd probably still be rotting on the Blazer bench.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I think it's also the weather. Phoenix is warm mostly year round. Cold weather is bad for bones and joints.
    Possibly. Steve Nash left Phoenix for LA, which isn't exactly a cold weather haven, and immediately his body broke down. I'm telling you: They need to do a 30 for 30 on Phoenix's training staff. These people are ****ing wizards.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    JO had had so many surgeries though. We got rid of him at the right time. He had his elite years here but we traded him just as he was on his way down. Smart move. At least we got him at his best. Remember, if it wasn't for Indy...he'd probably still be rotting on the Blazer bench.
    i dont disagree that we got rid of him at the right time. but asking him to bulk up and play center was TERRIBLE for his knees.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Possibly. Steve Nash left Phoenix for LA, which isn't exactly a cold weather haven, and immediately his body broke down. I'm telling you: They need to do a 30 for 30 on Phoenix's training staff. These people are ****ing wizards.
    Yeah I remember that year Shaq was 36-37 years old and averaegd 17.8 PPG in 75 games. It was ridiculous. He even had like 45 points one game.

PHX staff hasn't helped Barbosa out any. Training staffs get way too much credit when times are good, and way too much crap when times are bad.

Although I did watch a video from PHX earlier this year about them using pretty much a cyro-chamber. Players stand in a chamber from the shoulders down, and the temps plunge like -100 degrees, for a couple of minutes. Supposed to pull all the blood from your extremities, and then when you step out, blood flows back suppposedly stimulating recovery. IDK if it works or not, but it's interesting. Plumlee and Frye were the two using it, and they said it helped, but who knows.

Posters always were *****ing about Bender back in the day, blaming the training staff, and all the NBA did was name their Trainer of the Year award after the Pacers head trainer during that time.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    PHX staff hasn't helped Barbosa out any. Training staffs get way too much credit when times are good, and way too much crap when times are bad.

Although I did watch a video from PHX earlier this year about them using pretty much a cyro-chamber. Players stand in a chamber from the shoulders down, and the temps plunge like -100 degrees, for a couple of minutes. Supposed to pull all the blood from your extremities, and then when you step out, blood flows back suppposedly stimulating recovery. IDK if it works or not, but it's interesting. Plumlee and Frye were the two using it, and they said it helped, but who knows.

Posters always were *****ing about Bender back in the day, blaming the training staff, and all the NBA did was name their Trainer of the Year award after the Pacers head trainer during that time.
    Dallas does that too. I remember reading something about Jason Kidd getting that treatment when he was with the Mavs.

Training staffs almost never get any credit either way. Phoenix's does, and I think people crap on Portland's for the way they handled Roy/Oden, but besides that...I don't hear much about any training staffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

well PHX gets credit because of all the high profile guys they have helped. Shaq, JO, Nash, Grant Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    well PHX gets credit because of all the high profile guys they have helped. Shaq, JO, Nash, Grant Hill.
    Yeah, but it's not like they re-invented the wheel and kept it locked down. I bet everything PHX does, all or most teams do as well. There might be slight variations, like their cryo-chamber, but for the most part it's all the same. Keeping guys healthy could be as simple as convincing them they need to stop going out so much and get some sleep.

I bet they all know each other, talk privately amongst themselves, go to the same conferences, etc. It's all shared knowledge, just like coaching.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-18-2014 at 03:43 PM.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    It might just be some trickery of the eye, or the camera angle, but doesn't his right knee look absolutely massive compared to his left?

Yikes

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Phoenix's does, and I think people crap on Portland's for the way they handled Roy/Oden,
    And oh man, do they deserve it. With today's America, I'm surprised we haven't seen some kind of lawsuit about the way they handled it all.

If anyone is interested, here's the scoop.
    http://zigsports.wordpress.com/2012/...what-happened/
    Last edited by Since86; 03-18-2014 at 03:49 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That picture of Bynum's knee comparison is pretty ugly. They're going to need buckets to drain that thing.

while i dont doubt his right knee is larger than his left because of the fluid, that picture just looks strange. is it me or does his left calf muscle just start waaaaaay up near his knee?

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    That picture of Bynum's knee comparison is pretty ugly. They're going to need buckets to drain that thing.
    Indeed. Step 1 though is getting it drained. That is not the magic bullet, and he will always have knee problems. But once it's fully drained, that will alleviate the swelling and pain at least 85% or more. Doesn't mean it won't flare up again a month from now. Just means that the staff has to be pro-active to nip that in the bud before it starts.

Mood

That picture, I feel like I'm seeing calf muscle as opposed to really seeing the knees.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    That picture, I feel like I'm seeing calf muscle as opposed to really seeing the knees.
    This was my initial thought... I imagion knee swelling associated with fluid build up to be a more localized type of swelling... Not a general entire lower half of the leg thing... But then again I am no doctor nor do I pretend to be one...

I wonder if Hibbert's left shoe is making Bynums calf look much thicker and shorter than what it really is??

Ha, Bynum Zapruder film!

I have no doubt this is is pretty serious, and if you saw a front view, I bet you could tell his knee is swollen. But it's worth noting that image distorts it a bit because of the angle of each of his feet. His left foot is slightly turned aside, whereas you're seeing his right heel/calf dead on.

God, I can't believe I'm analyzing Bynum practice huddle photos.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

His feet are generally aligned in the same direction. His left calf and knee should be in the same ballpark, size-wise. Of course things look different from different angles, but it's tough to imagine *that* much of a difference simply due to camera angle.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I agree with KM, I don't know if it's as bad as it looks, but when you have serious swelling in your knee it can expand into your calf. I wonder how much we've looked into his gait. I hope he is not over compensating.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

His right leg is definitely bigger. It's not the angle. If it was, everything on that side would be bigger (shoes, arm, etc.), not just the area between his knee and his foot.

Who knows what it means. The best way to combat knee pain is to build up the muscles around the knee. It's possible that his muscles are bigger in that leg because he strengthened them to protect the knee.

Listening to 1070 the fan, the Pacer's medical staff basically said Bynum is done.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 31Since1990 View Post
    Listening to 1070 the fan, the Pacer's medical staff basically said Bynum is done.
    Wow! That was a quick stint!

that's probably the worst Pacer-news I've heard all season. I hope it's not true.

Any specifics on the conversation and the MRI? I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio so I probably wouldn't even know how to find 1070 the fan. Not sure if I even still have an actual radio!