Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Default Re: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good news? Ok...what?

Fluid, pain, whatever...none of this good news, but the worst news is the MRI and that it is still being reviewed.

Well indeed it's not rosy news, but would you rather hear "an MRI revealed fluid build up in the knee"? Or would you rather hear he's "done for the year"? They're still reviewing the MRI just to make sure there's no new structural damage. But the fluid build up is probably the first thing the MRI revealed. That's been drained. Now the review is to make CERTAIN, nothing else has changed from his last Pacer MRI.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Well in the sense that there's no new damage to the knee. That's what you were afraid of right? Torn ligaments, tendons and stuff? Well that's not the case. Just a fluid build up in his knee. Remember that pic Roy Hibbert posted earlier in the season of his "fat" elbow? That's probably how Bynum's knee looks right now. Except Hibbert had no damage or elbow issues. It was just bursitis. Bynum has knee pain though, which he'll have to deal with for the rest of his life. But in this case, Bynum won't be done for the year or need surgery. SWELLING like with Roy's elbow is the issue. A simple draining of the affected area, to greatly decrease the swelling. Along with ice compresses to further aid in the decreasing of swelling, is all that is needed here. So like I said, there's a 70% chance he plays Friday.
    Swelling and fluid buildup in the knees and elbows is rarely ever similar.

He had to have an MRI. You do not give out MRIs for just fluid buildup. It is possible they had to drain the knee just to get a good MRI. An MRI suggests the suspicion at the least of more structural damage.

I would say there is less than 70% chance Bynum ever wears a Pacers uni again, let alone plays Friday.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Well indeed it's not rosy news, but would you rather hear "an MRI revealed fluid build up in the knee"? Or would you rather hear he's "done for the year"? They're still reviewing the MRI just to make sure there's no new structural damage. But the fluid build up is probably the first thing the MRI revealed. That's been drained. Now the review is to make CERTAIN, nothing else has changed from his last Pacer MRI.
    I don't know what you're missing here, but the fluid buildup was bad enough that it clearly didn't need an MRI to be revealed. They were looking for something when they did the MRI and it was not the fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. Sorry Grimp, but I don't think all fluid drainings are the same. I'm not a doctor and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so take that for what it's worth.

The key part for me is that Bynum admitted to being concerned and if this is the most fluid buildup he's seen in years, then I'm guessing that's not a positive thing.

Here's some url's on it............

https://www.zocdoc.com/answers/10966...knee-drained#.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/knee...rontheknee.htm

Looks like what will happen here is drainage, a steroid shot, or/and cortizone shot (like Since86 said). And he should be fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

I don't know what you're missing here, but the fluid buildup was bad enough that it clearly didn't need an MRI to be revealed. They were looking for something when they did the MRI and it was not the fluid.
    An MRI can reveal fluid also. Along with bruising, tears, rips, etc. Well we'll have to wait and see how future events unfold, but I am hoping my thesis is correct.

Hey Grimp how old are you? Serious question.

Sure the MRI could reveal fluid, but Bynum himself said it was the most fluid buildup he had seen since his Laker days in the finals and unless he has MRI eyes, it is clear to me that the swelling and fluid was visible and obvious to the naked eye.

Draining a knee can be a rather small thing, for some, and a rather big thing for others. The fact that Bynum has a LOOOOOONG history of knee injuries, I have no clue why you're tying to go the small route.

From your second provided link:
    Patients with severe arthritis may eventually require knee replacement surgery.
    Which is a matter of when not if for Bynum.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Well this sucks, hopefully he can play vs MIA in the playoffs at least. Assuming we make it that far of course.
    At this point Bynum can be regarded like an effective yet fragile specialized weapon. In WWII terms, he's a Tiger tank with a faulty transmission. If we're in peril in the first and/or second round of the playoffs, break him out; otherwise, keep him minimally involved (physically) until maybe Game 1 vs. Miami. Then play him again when we're close to either winning or losing the series. We just need him to help us get over the hump.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Hey Grimp how old are you? Serious question.

Sure the MRI could reveal fluid, but Bynum himself said it was the most fluid buildup he had seen since his Laker days in the finals and unless he has MRI eyes, it is clear to me that the swelling and fluid was visible and obvious to the naked eye.

21 If you must know. And I am trying to look on the bright side of this whole issue. The guy had 2 great games. So the last thing I'd want is for him to be shut down now. Also yes this may be the most fluid build up he's seen since 2010 or 2011, but we don't know when the last time was he's had his knee drained since yesterday.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is what Bynum gets for trying on the court apparently. Bummed out he's having issues but Mahinmi really has played well since Bynum was signed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    This is what Bynum gets for trying on the court apparently. Bummed out he's having issues but Mahinmi really has played well since Bynum was signed.
    Ian is not a post threat though. So it really messes up our bench now because having a low-post-threat that commands a double team off the bench makes things so much easier for everyone else. Which is why I hope this is just an issue where he needs to have his knee simply drained, and the swelling rapidly decreases. And the knee returns to where it was two weeks ago. *fingers crossed*. It would be nice if we could get CJ back Wednesday though.
    Last edited by Grimp; 03-18-2014 at 02:00 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

The Indiana Pacers - where knees and shooting percentages go to die...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a big bummer, he was looking great. I really hope they can get this resolved.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

BTW, I know I'm being awfully negative, but I would love nothing more than to be wrong. Love what Bynum has been giving us not only on the court, but around the team. I honestly feel bad for the guy now that I've seen how well he interacts with his teammates.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    The Indiana Pacers - where knees and shooting percentages go to die...
    we're like the anti-Suns.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This is a big bummer, he was looking great. I really hope they can get this resolved.
    Well, at least it's one knee. The right one. He had it drained pre-game yesterday he said.

Well, at least it's one knee. The right one. He had it drained pre-game yesterday he said.
    Well I fell better that it is only one knee... That means is only going to slow him down by half right?? Green

Watching him interact with the team and play, the one thing that's clear to me is that if he's able to play safely, he's going to play.

He does not present himself as a malingerer at all. Seems to genuinely want to play.

You can't read into fluid accumulation or an MRI as if it's "bad news". Wear/tear injuries often have this kind of stuff happen.

You can see now why they have been proceeding cautiously with him, though.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Exclamation Re: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bballpacen View Post
    Well I fell better that it is only one knee... That means is only going to slow him down by half right?? Green
    Heh. I think in the end he'll be fine. But the fluid build up I think is moreso because he's now being active on the knee. His knee was in park for almost 2 months in between the Cleveland/Chicago fiasco/trade stuff. His condition is similar to Wade's and Amar'e St. in New York. Except his knee degeneration is happening sooner. Wade's took about 5 years later to happen. Amar'e's was because of too many knee injuries and knee surgeries.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It might just be some trickery of the eye, or the camera angle, but doesn't his right knee look absolutely massive compared to his left?

There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    hold on there. We actually have a damn good staff and have been consistently healthy for a long time now. This is who Bynum is and Granger was just the worst luck ever.

For what it's worth, Bynum went on to have his best season ever the year after the Celtics finals if he's talking about 2011. Wade and Kobe have also had monster performances shortly after getting their knee drained.

The fact that they're still reviewing the MRI is pretty scary, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    hold on there. We actually have a damn good staff and have been consistently healthy for a long time now. This is who Bynum is and Granger was just the worst luck ever.

For what it's worth, Bynum went on to have his best season ever the year after the Celtics finals if he's talking about 2011. Wade and Kobe have also had monster performances shortly after getting their knee drained.

The fact that they're still reviewing the MRI is pretty scary, though.

Could be precautionary. Can't keep giving him MRI's so in this one they wanna make sure they rule out or rule in everything that could be wrong, or that they see is. That way, they don't have to do another one next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    It might just be some trickery of the eye, or the camera angle, but doesn't his right knee look absolutely massive compared to his left?

In that crowd I can't tell. But the right knee looks slightly thicker. Could also be why the sock level on that leg is lower positioned than the left.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    If I am the Knicks, I say **** spending $15 million per season on Phil Jackson. Just hire one of these brainy nerds like Ryan McDonough on the cheap, then throw the rest of that money at the Suns training staff. It's pretty clear they possess the elixir of life.