Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Default Re: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take that as, "Vogel runs the team unlike Brown who lets the inmates run the asylum." I think Bynum could have played for a bad team if they had a strong coach like Vogel.
    Yep. I thought the same.

But if they had a coach like Vogel, would they be a bad team?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

good to hear that he is fitting in with our locker room

is he gonna be in uniform or what?

If Bynum has a brain, he will recognize this as a great situation with a young team on the rise. I hope he's not as bad as advertised.

Any word on when we'll see Bynum on the court?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Any word on when we'll see Bynum on the court?
    I have heard something like 2-3 weeks, not sure if thats accurate though

Thoughts on Bynum from Doug Collins. Collins coached Bynum last year in Philly. From Brunos blog:
    http://blogs.1070thefan.com/2014/02/...e-with-pacers/

Though the decision to give up Andre Iguodala, Nik Vucevic, Moe Harkless and a first-round pick in the four-team trade to acquire Bynum re-directed the Sixers from playoff contention to the lottery – and ultimately led Collins into retirement after the 2012-13 season – he believes Pacers could offer the former All-Star center the perfect environment in which to resurrect his career.

“The guy worked every day, he came into the gym, he got onto that treadmill and did his job every day. I admire how hard he worked. I think the big question for him is getting in condition,” Collins said. “The guy is huge and if you throw him the ball in the post he’s going to deliver for you. He’s a very skilled player, he can shoot the ball, he’s a good free-throw shooter.

“And the way the Pacers defend with Hibbert, he brings that same kind of defender in the way they play the pick-and-roll with the drop-and-plug and they don’t get out aggressively and Roy defends the restricted area. Those are the things Andrew will bring. If Roy is out and you put Andrew in, it’s not such a huge change in how they want to play.”

Though rumors circulated out of Cleveland that Bynum simply lacked the desire to play, Collins said he never saw any such indication.

“The guy wanted to play,” he said. “When we traded for him he was incredibly excited to come in and be a part of the team and help us be one of the best teams in the East. I felt sympathy for him. When you go through all that rehab, all that therapy, and you can’t play, it wears on your psyche, it wears on your soul. You’re a young kid that wants to play basketball and you have to remember, when he came to the Sixers if we’d have signed him to a five-year deal he could’ve signed for like $100 million, so this guy had a lot weighing on his shoulders and in his heart.

“He just needs to be able to play and the beauty of this is in Indiana, he’s got a team there in place. They’re going to tell Andrew, ‘This is how we do things.’ With David West and Hibbert and Paul George and George Hill and that core of guys they have, ‘We’ll embrace you, we’ll put our arms around you, but this is the way we do things in Indiana.’ And I think he will thrive in that.”

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Thoughts on Bynum from Doug Collins. Collins coached Bynum last year in Philly. From Brunos blog:
    This whole blog piece makes me feel better about the trade. Collins only had good things to say about the new guys.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sounds like now that he's back to a regular workout regimen, his body is trying to adjust. Didn't say knee soreness though. Sounds like possible usual soreness that comes from lots of lifting, weights, etc.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the Pacers really just want Bynum ready and gel'd in for the playoffs. Mahinmi has been playing some pretty good basketball as of late, so there's no rush necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think the Pacers really just want Bynum ready and gel'd in for the playoffs. Mahinmi has been playing some pretty good basketball as of late, so there's no rush necessarily.
    Like I said, if we see him before March 16th, that's a month of games to get into the system. Good enough.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Sounds like Philadelphia
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Sounds like Philadelphia
    To me, it sounds more like what we had with Granger this season before he started playing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    To me, it sounds more like what we had with Granger this season before he started playing.
    How? They never specified where the soreness is coming from. It could be workout soreness. Which is what people get when they're going really hard at the gym. Or it could maybe be because he hasn't played on the knee in a month or so. Either way, until it becomes a red flag, it's no big deal really.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    How? They never specified where the soreness is coming from. It could be workout soreness. Which is what people get when they're going really hard at the gym. Or it could maybe be because he hasn't played on the knee in a month or so. Either way, until it becomes a red flag, it's no big deal really.
    I totally agree with you. I feel like Pacers are taking a very easy and cautious approach, making sure that Bynum is where he needs to be before putting him out on the court. It reminds me somewhat of the approach they took with Granger this year, not rushing him into playing before he was fully ready to go.

I totally agree with you. I feel like Pacers are taking a very easy and cautious approach, making sure that Bynum is where he needs to be before putting him out on the court. It reminds me somewhat of the approach they took with Granger this year, not rushing him into playing before he was fully ready to go.
    If what they said recently was true, that Vogel said their training staff was "killing him" (metaphorically) and he was embracing the work. That means that he's gonna be sore if he's busting his hump trying to get into shape. Not to mention if he's practicing with our guys? LOL, our guys are built like stone. That's probably why he hasn't been cleared for FULL contact PRACTICE yet because his body has to be at a certain point for FULL contact practices. All the banging and stuff.

Bruno on Bynum. Best update yet. I bolded some bits.

The timeline, such as it is, hasn’t really changed.

Andrew Bynum will play when his conditioning level allows.

But he is making progress in his attempted comeback with the Pacers – so much so, in fact, that it was news that he missed practice Wednesday.

Bynum said he had made it through 16 consecutive days of rehab, conditioning, practices and workouts before experiencing a mild flareup in his knee.

“Two practices last week and one we had a full practice and after that one I was pretty sore but that was to be expected,” Bynum said. “It was my first (full practice) in a month-and-a-half. Same symptoms as in Cleveland, it’s just that it is what it is with my knee.

“It’s not a setback. We expected it and just deal with it.”

Bynum appears much more relaxed and comfortable than in his first few days with the Pacers – and possibly since his time with the Lakers. By all accounts, he has been a diligent and eager worker and is anxious to get back on the court.

He has accepted the knee will be a limitation for however long his career continues, but that’s not a crippling problem here as it was in Philadelphia and Cleveland, places where he was expected to return to some level of dominance and he just wasn’t physically capable.

All the Pacers want from Bynum is solid 12-14 minutes a game behind Roy Hibbert. If the knee flares up and he needs an occasional game off, Ian Mahinmi is always available.

“I want to see him get on the court and compete because I think he’ll help us,” Hibbert said. “Until that happens, I’m just going to keep on supporting him. He works really hard.”

Mahinmi has played much better of late, averaging 6.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.0 blocked shots off the bench in the last four games, so if Bynum’s signing accomplishes nothing more than to motivate the original backup center, consider it a success.

In other words, the weight of great expectation from Bynum has been lifted, which could explain the smile.

“We have a lot of talent on this team, really deep, and whatever minutes I get I’m just going to play hard,” he said. “It kind of makes it easier to play well in the sense that you know you have somebody there to back you up so you don’t have to worry about getting tired or anything like that.

“You just play hard and whatever you get, you get; everybody brings something to the table. That’s why this team wins and that’s the philosophy that it takes to do good.”

He and Hibbert have struck up a relationship but the Pacers in general have created a welcoming atmosphere. There was initial concern Bynum’s presence could strain the Pacers’ cohesion. Instead, the locker room culture has been therapeutic for him.

“This team has great chemistry and I just fit in here,” he said. “Everybody cracks jokes on each other. Nobody’s sensitive, not to the point that it boils over.”

Just when might we expect to see Bynum on the court? Depends on who you ask.

Frank Vogel is taking a conservative approach.

“It’s going to be a matter of balancing the workload associated with getting into game conditioning with the soreness that comes along with his knees,” the coach said. “It’s something we’re going to balance the rest of the way.”

Bynum, on the other hand, hopes to hit the court within a week.

“At this point, it’s only conditioning on the court and that’s going to be at max a week,” he said. “But I’m ready. Whenever they tell me I can play, I will.”

You get the sense whatever Bynum has left, he’s eager to give the Pacers.

25. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bynum will always have soreness. Its just how his knees are. How bad it is, and will it keep him out are the questions we don't have answers to.

"If I could've played I would have," Bynum said. "I don't really care [how the fans will treat him]. It is what it is. I was hurt and I'm still hurt but I'm trying. … Nothing went bad, nothing went wrong. I think people just need to accept the facts that my knees are the way they are."
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/99...ndering-career

The guy isn't ever going to be completely pain free and will most likely have setbacks throughout his career. But its about getting that pain to a manageable level more than anything. And to a place where he can play consistently. I'm 6'4" and after playing ball for a few days in a row my knees hurt and thats with no knee injuries. This dude is 7'2" and had major knee injuries. There will be pain. He'll just play through it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Great news, thx!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Knee flareup after a full practice. He's done. He'll never play again.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Knee flareup after a full practice. He's done. He'll never play again.
    Well, that may be a little extreme, but suffice it to say that he'll never be the player he used to be. It all depends on the new level he'll be able to play at that will determine if he's expendable or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Well, that may be a little extreme, but suffice it to say that he'll never be the player he used to be. It all depends on the new level he'll be able to play at that will determine if he's expendable or not.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Good to read.

Which post ??