Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Default Re: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Seems like a nice enough guy in the video. Didn't look too heavy to me, at least not from the neck up. You know, that may be why the Pacers met with him over a 3 hour dinner, to see how many desserts he would order.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You don't bring in Andrew Bynum with the hopes of hey, I really hope this guy can be a good backup for Ian Mahinmi. Unless Bynum is crippled and acts like a massive a-hole, he will be able to outplay Mahinmi in his sleep.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

He's a little indifferent....But I wouldn't read too much into this. Could he be more positive? Sure. Let's just wait-and-see.....Sometimes you just gotta pull the trigger on questionable issues. I don't think we could win it all this year without more scoring down low.....Bird is taking a gamble. We'll see. I'm actually very excited to see how he fits in!!!
    Last edited by WInslow22; 02-07-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    What you own is your own kingdom
    What you do is your own glory
    What you love is your own power
    What you live is your own story

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WInslow22 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again...for all of you that think that I'm a hater here.....I'm just saying that I will be skeptical about what Bynum brings to the table until I know how Vogel is going to use him in the lineup. Now, couple that with concerns about his conditioning.....I'm just in a "wait and see" mode. I really hope that he would likely take Mahinmi's place in the lineup....but I'm not going to automatically assume anything given ( what could be considered ) some valid concerns that has been brought up.
    I think everyone understands the risks. But he's a huge signing! Why not expect the best? If you don't get it, there's plenty of time to cry later. For now I'm gonna dream big. I can handle the disappointment if it comes.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WInslow22 View Post
    He's a little indifferent....But I wouldn't read too much into this. Could he be more positive? Sure. Let's just wait-and-see.....Sometimes you just gotta pull the trigger on questionable issues. I don't think we could win it all this year without more scoring down low.....Bird is taking a gamble. We'll see. I'm actually very excited to see how he fits in!!!
    Exactly. It's not every day that you get to bring in a talent like this in early February for just $1 million dollars. And let's remember that while we have had a fantastic season, we haven't eliminated Miami from the playoffs yet. Bird doesn't want to leave any box unchecked. He watched the series last year like the rest of us and saw how our offense can stall at times. I think it's clear that he wants all of our rotational players to be able to score the ball. With the way that Lance and DG have been passing, just think of all of the opportunities that Bynum will get close to the basket. Bynum-Scola-DG-Lance-Watson - every player in that rotation has the ability to score the ball. That's a lot of offensive firepower.

Bynum mentioned backing up Roy. IMHO, it's pretty clear that the Pacers told Bynum that the backup position was basically his to lose. I can't imagine Andrew Bynum signing on to be Ian Mahinmi's backup when he could get playing opportunities with other teams.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2014...207f4v-3138139
    Here's the video for those who may not have seen it.
    I think he's heard all the stuff that the media has been saying about him and he's not too happy about it. I appreciate that he wants to let his play do his talking. I also liked the way he answered the question about his situation in Cleveland.

Vogel's interview is here: http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2014...umf4v-3138167/
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So did anyone watch him and how interacted with our guys on the bench? I caught him talking to Cope once on TV, but that was about it.

Mood

I saw him talking to players here and there, and by the end I saw him up arguing a big call with the refs when the rest of the bench did as well, so he seemed into it, in his overall understated way.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    So did anyone watch him and how interacted with our guys on the bench? I caught him talking to Cope once on TV, but that was about it.
    This is where anyone with seats near the Pacers' bench would be great to hear from. If I had floor seats I would have been watching Bynum like a hawk just to see how he interacted with everyone.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Why is it surprising given who it is? Given Bynum's track record this does not surprise me at all. Hopefully Vogel and company can whip the guy into shape quickly. Unless Bynum wants to get his stuff together then no help from West, Vogel, or Hibbs will matter.

All this really tells me is he really has not changed and we should not get our hopes up with him contributing ina back up role.

I hope I am wrong because Bynum even giving us half of what he was in LA would be a big upgrade.
    It's still surprising in the sense that this may very well be Bynum's last shot. If he were smart, even if he has no love true love of basketball, he could still work his butt off, come in motivated, and probably parlay himself into one last big contract.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    It's still surprising in the sense that this may very well be Bynum's last shot. If he were smart, even if he has no love true love of basketball, he could still work his butt off, come in motivated, and probably parlay himself into one last big contract.
    Well truth be told, NBA teams have better workout regimens and facilities than actual players do. You see the state of the art stuff they have to keep players in shape and playing ball right? Maybe Bynum doesn't have access to that sort of stuff. I am sure he's been lifting weights and light running. But you guys missed the part where he said he's been eating right and taking care of his body, when the reporter said he looks in good condition. A large part of playing sports is eating right. That'll do your body wonders when you cut out all the garbage like processed foods, and fat and stuff.

The guy is just 4 weeks removed from a 20 and 10 game he had for the Cavs. No biggie. He'll probably just need to get some reps in.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grimp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Well truth be told, NBA teams have better workout regimens and facilities than actual players do. You see the state of the art stuff they have to keep players in shape and playing ball right? Maybe Bynum doesn't have access to that sort of stuff. I am sure he's been lifting weights and light running. But you guys missed the part where he said he's been eating right and taking care of his body, when the reporter said he looks in good condition. A large part of playing sports is eating right. That'll do your body wonders when you cut out all the garbage like processed foods, and fat and stuff.

The guy is just 4 weeks removed from a 20 and 10 game he had for the Cavs. No biggie. He'll probably just need to get some reps in.
    It's a fair point, but I'm sure where he's based and with his financial wealth, he still would've had access to some equivalent of St. Vincent's Sports Performance, a pro style trainer, and access to pick-up games or a state of the art weight lifting facility if he wanted them bad enough.

Mood

It's a fair point, but I'm sure where he's based and with his financial wealth, he still would've had access to some equivalent of St. Vincent's Sports Performance, a pro style trainer, and access to pick-up games or a state of the art weight lifting facility if he wanted them bad enough.
    Noone is going to argue that Bynum is Kobe or even Roy or PG in that the lives breathes and lives Basketball, but he doesn't need to be. He's extremely extremely talented and last time he was in a winning environment he was a large part of said winning. I do believe he'll be more engaged in this atmosphere than the last. Even winners like Deng are having tins of problems with the environment in Cleveland. Bynum will come in stay in shape and play ball. Given his talent he doesn't have to be obsessed with basketball or a gym rat to be an elite center off the bench. He's simply just a much much more talented player than Mahinmi and it's clear Larry brought him here to back up Hibbert. Cleveland is toxic, players have had problems with Kyrie all year, Deng has commented on it. Waiters has commented o. It. Bynum should be fine here. If anything if he doesn't have a huge amount of passion as many here like to point out then he's less likely ti rock the boat and more likely tk go with the flow. I believe this will work out in a huge way. You always bring in discounted talent, champions always do, a winning situation fixes 90 percent of chemistry issues, those are mostly things that pop up once the winning stops.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This is where anyone with seats near the Pacers' bench would be great to hear from. If I had floor seats I would have been watching Bynum like a hawk just to see how he interacted with everyone.
    1. Make a Pacers.com "Insider Only" section.
    2. Have iso cam on Bynum
    3. ???
    4. Profit.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

Depends on his financial situation, his home, etc. Plus, who knows what he's been doing ever since Cleveland traded him. Maybe he's been reflecting a bit, probably had to sell his house in Cleveland or Ohio. That takes time. Then he's probably had meetings maybe with interested teams, mulling his options. And maybe having to get his knees checked out again for another clean bill of health. I imagine if other teams were interested, they probably demanded he go get another diagnosis on his knees.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    1. Make a Pacers.com "Insider Only" section.
    2. Have iso cam on Bynum
    3. ???
    4. Profit.

The "???" is actually not "???" here. It is "charge people $9.95/game for access to Insider Only Section Featuring Bynum Cam"

29. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

This is interesting, Mahinmi is 4th in the NBA in fouls per minute. I knew he fouled more than Bynum but I didn't realize he was near the worst at fouling. From a Candace Buckner article where she hands out mid-season grades.
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ades-/5321327/

Ian Mahinmi: C–

Bigs will often draw negative attention from officials and hear the whistle more than most. This is just an occupational hazard of protecting the rim but Mahinmi has a knack for hacking.

With 126 personal fouls, Mahinmi ranks fourth in the NBA in the category of fouls per minute.

However, the clock is ticking on Mahinmi's role as the second-unit safeguard. Andrew Bynum has joined the team and will be expected to back up Hibbert as Mahinmi becomes the third center.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

What's Bynum's FT percentage like? Ian sucks at free throws too.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This is interesting, Mahinmi is 4th in the NBA in fouls per minute. I knew he fouled more than Bynum but I didn't realize he was near the worst at fouling. From a Candace Buckner article where she hands out mid-season grades.
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ades-/5321327/
    Whatever alleged advantage Roy Hibbert gets via verticality is negated - and then some - by the absolute abuse Ian Mahinmi gets from officials.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Noone is going to argue that Bynum is Kobe or even Roy or PG in that the lives breathes and lives Basketball, but he doesn't need to be. He's extremely extremely talented and last time he was in a winning environment he was a large part of said winning. I do believe he'll be more engaged in this atmosphere than the last. Even winners like Deng are having tins of problems with the environment in Cleveland. Bynum will come in stay in shape and play ball. Given his talent he doesn't have to be obsessed with basketball or a gym rat to be an elite center off the bench. He's simply just a much much more talented player than Mahinmi and it's clear Larry brought him here to back up Hibbert. Cleveland is toxic, players have had problems with Kyrie all year, Deng has commented on it. Waiters has commented o. It. Bynum should be fine here. If anything if he doesn't have a huge amount of passion as many here like to point out then he's less likely ti rock the boat and more likely tk go with the flow. I believe this will work out in a huge way. You always bring in discounted talent, champions always do, a winning situation fixes 90 percent of chemistry issues, those are mostly things that pop up once the winning stops.
    I'm not saying Bynum won't do well here. I imagine he'll be on his best behavior, especially since this could be one of his last chances to prove he can still be a winning player. However, it's still a bit strange he had been neither working out nor any sort of basketball routine was set. If he's giving his knee a few weeks of rest, that's one thing, but I don't know. If I were fighting for my basketball livelihood, I would be pulling all the stops.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Pacers could really use him. I think we'll be surprised how big he is and how big he plays (if he gets into playing condition and has the right attitude). But with West, Scola, Hibbert and Ian, we need someone else who either has great athleticism or great size. I question whether he will help us, but he certainly can and we certainly could use what he has to offer when he is right. It is up to him really.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Brian Shaw talks Andrew Bynum.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2014...210f4v-3140987

I guess I don't know how to embed nba videos.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Career 69%. Two years ago when he had his best season and averaged 19 pts per game he shot 69%. Best he has ever shot for a season is this season at 76% - very few attempts though
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-12-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Big men typically suck at free throws. Not really a surprise. Ian is actually about average for his position.