Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
Results 626 to 650 of 1032

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

  1. #626
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  3. #627
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  5. #628

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He gets called for fouls, it is questionable if a lot of them are fouls cause if his name was Hibbert, Howard, Chandler, Gasol, or something it is highly unlikely they would get called.

    We have a post presence in Granger. A lot of good things have come from it because teams almost always double or triple team him in the post.




    I don't want Ian to be shooting turn around jumpers but he sucks. He can't even catch the ball, go up, and power dunk it. The amount of passes near the basket, or under he gets per night at his size? He costs us about 6 points a game with his turnovers which should be dunks.

  6. #629
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,575

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know as well as I do why Fez was brought in. Foster rings the retirement bell and we sign a FA center to help out with the lack of depth which is a lot different than signing Bynum this year.
    How is that any different?

    I don't deny that Bird likely looked at the entire FA field and decided that Bynum's talent's could be utilized on this Team and that it may have been one of the main reasons why he went after Bynum......even if it meant kicking Mahinmi to the bench. But just like 2 seasons ago, when the Pacers needed a 3rd Center in the rotation ( Fez ) when Foster retired....the Pacers needed a 3rd Center cuz Bird realized ( finally ) that it's not very difficult to get both Hibbert and Mahinmi in foul trouble.

    BTW.....we are arguing over minutia.....we are both right in this instance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Basically if you have to reach for examples then you are probably denying the reality of the situation. Bird brought him in becuase he thought he could contribute and replace Ian in the rotation. If he didn't then why sign him and for the so called chemistry Ian brings what does he actually do? You can't run the pnp with him and he basically is a guy you can cheat off of since he can't score which hinders the offense. Personally I think a guy who gets double teamed in the post is a better asset than a cutter to the basket with bad hands and who can't set screens without bailing on them before contact.
    The reality the situation ( for me ) in bringing in Bynum is as much to bring in a MUCH NEEDED 3rd Backup Center as it is to find the best Backup Center that we could find that ( hopefully ) can bring some additional Low-Post offense to the lineup. I have always questioned why Bird never brought in a 3rd Center....for the very reasons that I have pointed out ( I hate having both Scola/West on the floor cuz we have NO ONE to back up Mahinmi ).

    Could he turn out to be WAY BETTER than Mahinmi? Yeah...Totally....I really hope so cuz there's a lot of room for improvement when it comes to Mahinmi's offense.....but I also recognize that Mahinmi does do a solid impression of Hibbert on the defensive end ( which is something that I consider critical to the success of this Team ).

    But until I have an idea about how Vogel will use him ( which should be cleared up in about 3 weeks )....I will only look at Bynum as the 3rd Backup Center in the lineup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ian's chemistry on defense isn't bad but its nothing to right home about. People still attack the rim a lot and he still fouls them a lot.
    The defense is designed to push the Perimeter Players to the middle where a Shotblocking Center is there waiting for him. As a result, yeah.....Mahinmi does get into foul trouble. But not everyone can master the "art of verticality" or get the benefit of the doubt that Hibbert has earned. I would expect that the same thing will happen with ANY Center that we put into the rotation....whether it is Mahinmi or Bynum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Offensively though it just boils down to another wrinkle you can add. Scola can't post up anymore so essentially the second unit becomes a limited offensive unit with no post presence.This is bad against teams like Miami who go small but its even worse against big teams like the Pistons who can play a steady Center rotation of Monroe and Drummond which exposes Ian's poor post up defense.
    Look, I'm not denying that ANY OF WHAT YOU ( or anyone ) suggest above could happen ( especially what Bynum could bring to the offensive end compared to Mahinmi ). My whole point is that I am not going to AUTOMATICALLY declare that Bynum is going to come in and do all the stuff that many of you think he will do ( for the various reasons that I have mentioned before ) until I see him play, how Vogel uses him and how he fits within the rotation.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-04-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  7. #630

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is that any different?

    I don't deny that Bird likely looked at the entire FA field and decided that Bynum's talent's could be utilized on this Team and that it may have been one of the main reasons why he went after Bynum......even if it meant kicking Mahinmi to the bench. But just like 2 seasons ago, when the Pacers needed a 3rd Center in the rotation ( Fez ) when Foster retired....the Pacers needed a 3rd Center cuz Bird realized ( finally ) that it's not very difficult to get both Hibbert and Mahinmi in foul trouble.

    BTW.....we are arguing over minutia.....we are both right in this instance.


    The reality the situation ( for me ) in bringing in Bynum is as much to bring in a MUCH NEEDED 3rd Backup Center as it is to find the best Backup Center that we could find that ( hopefully ) can bring some additional Low-Post offense to the lineup. I have always questioned why Bird never brought in a 3rd Center....for the very reasons that I have pointed out ( I hate having both Scola/West on the floor cuz we have NO ONE to back up Mahinmi ).

    Could he turn out to be WAY BETTER than Mahinmi? Yeah...Totally....I really hope so cuz there's a lot of room for improvement when it comes to Mahinmi's offense.....but I also recognize that Mahinmi does do a solid impression of Hibbert on the defensive end ( which is something that I consider critical to the success of this Team ).

    But until I have an idea about how Vogel will use him ( which should be cleared up in about 3 weeks )....I will only look at Bynum as the 3rd Backup Center in the lineup.



    The defense is designed to push the Perimeter Players to the middle where a Shotblocking Center is there waiting for him. As a result, yeah.....Mahinmi does get into foul trouble. But not everyone can master the "art of verticality" or get the benefit of the doubt that Hibbert has earned. I would expect that the same thing will happen with ANY Center that we put into the rotation....whether it is Mahinmi or Bynum.


    Look, I'm not denying that ANY OF WHAT YOU ( or anyone ) suggest above could happen ( especially what Bynum could bring to the offensive end compared to Mahinmi ). My whole point is that I am not going to AUTOMATICALLY declare that Bynum is going to come in and do all the stuff that many of you think he will do ( for the various reasons that I have mentioned before ) until I see him play, how Vogel uses him and how he fits within the rotation.


    I still wish we had gotten Robin Lopez in the offseason.

  8. #631

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is that any different?

    I don't deny that Bird likely looked at the entire FA field and decided that Bynum's talent's could be utilized on this Team and that it may have been one of the main reasons why he went after Bynum......even if it meant kicking Mahinmi to the bench. But just like 2 seasons ago, when the Pacers needed a 3rd Center in the rotation ( Fez ) when Foster retired....the Pacers needed a 3rd Center cuz Bird realized ( finally ) that it's not very difficult to get both Hibbert and Mahinmi in foul trouble.

    BTW.....we are arguing over minutia.....we are both right in this instance.


    The reality the situation ( for me ) in bringing in Bynum is as much to bring in a MUCH NEEDED 3rd Backup Center as it is to find the best Backup Center that we could find that ( hopefully ) can bring some additional Low-Post offense to the lineup. I have always questioned why Bird never brought in a 3rd Center....for the very reasons that I have pointed out ( I hate having both Scola/West on the floor cuz we have NO ONE to back up Mahinmi ).

    Could he turn out to be WAY BETTER than Mahinmi? Yeah...Totally....I really hope so cuz there's a lot of room for improvement when it comes to Mahinmi's offense.....but I also recognize that Mahinmi does do a solid impression of Hibbert on the defensive end ( which is something that I consider critical to the success of this Team ).

    But until I have an idea about how Vogel will use him ( which should be cleared up in about 3 weeks )....I will only look at Bynum as the 3rd Backup Center in the lineup.



    The defense is designed to push the Perimeter Players to the middle where a Shotblocking Center is there waiting for him. As a result, yeah.....Mahinmi does get into foul trouble. But not everyone can master the "art of verticality" or get the benefit of the doubt that Hibbert has earned. I would expect that the same thing will happen with ANY Center that we put into the rotation....whether it is Mahinmi or Bynum.


    Look, I'm not denying that ANY OF WHAT YOU ( or anyone ) suggest above could happen ( especially what Bynum could bring to the offensive end compared to Mahinmi ). My whole point is that I am not going to AUTOMATICALLY declare that Bynum is going to come in and do all the stuff that many of you think he will do ( for the various reasons that I have mentioned before ) until I see him play, how Vogel uses him and how he fits within the rotation.
    How is that any different? Fez was a last ditch effort signing with little to no expectation or history of starting in the NBA. Bynum was not just a no name NBA player with no skill like Fez was so I think you are basically reaching far up in the sky for an example and getting lost in the clouds.

    As for our defensive system involving our center this is nothing new in the NBA. Nearly every team funnels players into the bigs just like every team runs ice plays to defend the pnr the Pacers just do it better and I would be shocked if Bynum is surprised by anything we expect of him on defense.

    I don't think you have to automatically declare anything btw. These post and the comparison I did were to fill in everyone of how he performed in Cleveland post injury. I have little expectation he can be in championship Laker form by the end of the year but if he can build off what he did with Cavs then I think that is reasonable and if he does do that then he is better than Ian.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-04-2014 at 09:08 PM.

  9. #632
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,575

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is that any different? Fez was a last ditch effort signing with little to no expectation or history of starting in the NBA. Bynum was not just a no name NBA player with no skill like Fez was so I think you are basically reaching far up in the sky for an example and getting lost in the clouds.
    I really have no idea why you are arguing this point.

    As I said...you are right in the sense that Bird recognized that Bynum was the best Backup Center out there on the FA market. He went out and got the best Backup Center that he could find in the Free Agent Market.

    But how can I be reaching when I say that signing Bynum also fills the need for a 3rd Backup Center...something that was needed after Foster retired and something that is needed NOW cuz we STILL NEED a 3rd Backup Center. To be clear....THAT IS WHAT I AM COMPARING here.....the need for a 3rd Back up Center. I am not comparing the Player that Fez was to the Player that Bynum COULD BE.

    Regardless of what our opinions are....we will find out what Bynum will or will not be in about 2-3 weeks.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-04-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  10. #633
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,788

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer


  11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  12. #634
    A Magical Place Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,602
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That should make some feel a little better about the Bynum signing. I'm starting to get a little excited about it myself!
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  14. #635

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he's in to F1 he'll probably feel at home in Indy then.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  16. #636
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,786

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Ian's missed dunk last night is precisely why we signed Bynum. Ian is too big of an offensive liability. To take out Miami, we need every player to convert easy FG's.
    David "And One" West

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  18. #637

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really have no idea why you are arguing this point.

    As I said...you are right in the sense that Bird recognized that Bynum was the best Backup Center out there on the FA market. He went out and got the best Backup Center that he could find in the Free Agent Market.

    But how can I be reaching when I say that signing Bynum also fills the need for a 3rd Backup Center...something that was needed after Foster retired and something that is needed NOW cuz we STILL NEED a 3rd Backup Center. To be clear....THAT IS WHAT I AM COMPARING here.....the need for a 3rd Back up Center. I am not comparing the Player that Fez was to the Player that Bynum COULD BE.

    Regardless of what our opinions are....we will find out what Bynum will or will not be in about 2-3 weeks.
    To me you don't do this move just for a backup 3rd string backup center. Fez was a third string center Bynum is not. I don't think in anyway shape or form did Bynum, Bird, or Vogel think, "Wow we got our third string backup center now. What a relief." You may be thinking that but I doubt they did this signing for the same reasons you wanted a third string center.

    I mean whats a more reasonable explanation here. Center A is more talented, started more games and has been playing better this year than Center B who is less talented, started less games and has been playing worse than Center A overall. Now who should be the third string center?

    You can't take the wait and see apporoach but I think plently of posters have a more realistic expectation of Bynum than you do at this point.

  19. #638

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He gets called for fouls, it is questionable if a lot of them are fouls cause if his name was Hibbert, Howard, Chandler, Gasol, or something it is highly unlikely they would get called.

    We have a post presence in Granger. A lot of good things have come from it because teams almost always double or triple team him in the post.
    When I read this I thought all the more reason to sign a guy like Bynum who is a bigger name on the floor than Ian.

    This isn't to attack your post or anything but just to make you aware of the situations with Danny posting up and for what its worth I thought it was a solid point before I looked it up.

    Danny post up 11.8% of the time on the floor and he has a 0.74 ppp.
    Bynum post up 58.9% of the time on the floor and he has a 0.75 ppp.

    That seems reasonable until you look at their percent turn over on post ups.
    Danny 25.9%
    Bynum 10.3%

    Before I looked that up I was going to make the point that you want Danny on the perimeter to space the floor and I think that is a better use for him than post ups. In theory Danny and Bynum should be a good combo since Danny is good at feeding the post and good at spot ups. He also should work well with Bynum on the pnr since he is scores 50% of the time as the ball handler on a pnr.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 02-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.

  20. #639
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,575

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me you don't do this move just for a backup 3rd string backup center. Fez was a third string center Bynum is not. I don't think in anyway shape or form did Bynum, Bird, or Vogel think, "Wow we got our third string backup center now. What a relief." You may be thinking that but I doubt they did this signing for the same reasons you wanted a third string center.

    I mean whats a more reasonable explanation here. Center A is more talented, started more games and has been playing better this year than Center B who is less talented, started less games and has been playing worse than Center A overall. Now who should be the third string center?

    You can't take the wait and see apporoach but I think plently of posters have a more realistic expectation of Bynum than you do at this point.
    Maybe Bird went out to get the Best FA Center available and ( in turn ) filled a need ( the need for a 3rd Center ) or vice versa......Bird recognized the need for a 3rd Center and went out to get the Best FA Center available.

    Which one was the "chicken" and which one turned out to be the "egg" doesn't matter....as I said before...we are both right here.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #640
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,608

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That should make some feel a little better about the Bynum signing. I'm starting to get a little excited about it myself!
    Talk's cheap. Show me Bynum.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  23. #641
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    I think it's crazy to assume they signed Bynum to be the 3rd string center. He wouldn't come here for that.

  24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  25. #642

    Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe Bird went out to get the Best FA Center available and ( in turn ) filled a need ( the need for a 3rd Center ) or vice versa......Bird recognized the need for a 3rd Center and went out to get the Best FA Center available.

    Which one was the "chicken" and which one turned out to be the "egg" doesn't matter....as I said before...we are both right here.
    Meant to say you "can" take the wait and see approach.

    To your point though I don't think there would be a need for a third center if Bird felt Ian could play better and Bird doesn't strike me as a guy who waits for half a season to fill a important need.

    What is more likely is that Ian is not performing at a high enough level in Birds eyes which is why the Bynum signing happened now rather than some mediocre third string center signing back in October when probably some on here wanted an Ivan Johnson type.

    Its quite possible and in fact more likley that you value a thrid string center more than Bird does which goes back to why do this signing in the first place? The answer to that question has more to do Ian's performance or lack there of than filling a roster spot you deem important while Bird ignored it for 40 some games.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  27. #643

    Red face Andrew Bynum

    Andrew Bynum is potentially the best center in the league and it is up the Pacer coaches to bring it out of him. I believe he has reached the bottom of his career and he knows he must perform or else and that will be good for the team. The Pacers now have a team that has starter talent that goes 10 players deep. Many have All Star ability. There will be a lot of decisions to make on who they can keep next year because of money.

  28. #644

    Default Re: Andrew Bynum

    Bynum isn't the best center in the league nor is he potentially the best center in the league, but he can be a good backup

  29. #645
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Andrew Bynum

    The top two threads on Pacers Digest right now are about Andrew Bynum potentially being the center in the league and how the Pacers coaches need to bring it out of him and about Paul George potentially getting a stripper in Miami of all cities pregnant.

    If you had told me this would be the case two weeks ago, I would have laughed in your face.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  31. #646
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,871
    Mood

    Default Re: Andrew Bynum

    I'm enlightened, Thx.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  32. #647

    Default Re: Andrew Bynum

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ................ Paul George potentially getting a stripper in Miami of all cities pregnant ............
    Start the PG to the Heat rumors.

  33. #648
    Member DJVendetta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Posts
    1,074

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Andrew Bynum

    When he was dominating while with the Lakers I considered him top 3 for sure until he fell off fast as hell lol. His potential to be top 5 is truly still there, but I don't really have enough faith to see him taking advantage of his capabilities to the fullest.

  34. #649
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,495
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Andrew Bynum

    Well as a 3rd option on the Lakers he did put up 18.7 ppg and 11.8 rpg numbers Roy Hibbert will NEVER approach.

  35. #650
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,499

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Andrew Bynum

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well as a 3rd option on the Lakers he did put up 18.7 ppg and 11.8 rpg numbers Roy Hibbert will NEVER approach.
    Dude's knees make Danny's look indestructible. Just like Danny, let's focus on what's happened since his knee knocked him out for a whole year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •