Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bynum 13-14 General Discussion

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 02/01/14 Update: Andrew Bynum is a Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He will be a backup and hardly the reason this team wins a title.
    ...but sometimes extra depth can mean allot and go a far way... we will have to just wait and see. Still, this is a low risk/high reward risk, and nothing to scoff at.

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

You know this is another player that the Pacers had tried to pick up some time in the past who we then get as a free agent. I am sure everyone in here remembers them trying to trade J.O. for Bynum and I bet Bynum remembers that as well and I have no doubt that factored into him coming here. (along with being a contender)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

There is no guarantee that Bynum plays above Ian. Vogel wants a rim protector within the system. If he wanted the best all-around player protecting the rim then we would see more Scola/West. If Bynum cannot protect the rim better than Ian, and yet score more....Ian will still be the primary backup to Roy Hibbert.

Default Re: Bynum is in Indianapolis, signing imminent?

Not overly crazy about his character, but I love the low risk high reward that he brings. Never would've believed our bench could be this deep.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knicks-Killer31 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The risk is being massively underrated. Isiah was AS coach with 2 players on the AS team - JO and Brad. He had another that was making the case for DPOY in Artest. The team was out in front and on it's way to a big playoff run. Then Ron's chemistry issues happened, the team fell to 3rd, lost in round 1 and Isiah was fired.

Of course AFTER THE FACT it was all obvious, but I have the articles to prove that plenty of people were feeling pretty good about where the Pacers were at as they headed toward the AS break.

Bird wanted Vogel to do what JOB refused to do and that was to start developing Lance by getting him into the rotation. Frank gave it time and finally started giving Lance regular 2nd quarter minutes. This ended with the worst 3 game stretch of Vogel's career (until maybe last week) with blowouts in OKC, DAL and HOU. In Houston Jones (and maybe Granger/Dun) got in a fight with Lance and Lance went back out of the rotation. The team recovered kinda but there were plenty of ripples to go with the actual losses.

This whole "what can it hurt" from a fanbase and press group that was actively wondering if GRANGER WOULD HURT CHEMISTRY is extremely naive. How in the eff could Granger's return be more distracting than a guy with a history of chemistry issues at 3 teams. It's not like Kobe gave Bynum a ringing endorsement, and it's not like his health/attitude helped Philly or Cleveland. Do you remember who the Sixers coach was when they signed Bynum? Back to the studio, thanks Andrew.

First off, THE PRESS IS ASKING THE PACERS ALL ABOUT BYNUM. Distraction, no way around it. This will be the topic. Not the All-Stars or the Lance snub or the W-L record/seeding. Not the next game vs Miami or Chicago. Not even the current struggles.

Nope, now all the local and national press want to know about is Tim Tebow, I mean Bynum. Did Tebow make the Jets bad with his on-field game? Did he fight with guys? No. All he did was a be a topic that drew attention away from players and subjects that deserved attention and had guys getting sick and tired of answering the same crap. Wasn't even Tebow's fault.

You don't think that a lot more national writers are going to be in the Pacers LR to talk about Bynum for the next 3-4 weeks? Brooklyn is in town tonight with plenty of NYC writers to follow, and each and every one of them just forgot all about Kidd, the Nets bad season, etc and instantly went into "Bynum, Bynum, Bynum" mode. Scola will be asked about Bynum tonight. Freaking Orlando Johnson will be asked about Bynum tonight.

And until it smooths out and starts working it will stay that way.

You think if it doesn't work out that it's going to go smoothly? Good lord that will make it worse. National media will be all over it again "what was he like, was he a problem, what did he say, is this a distraction, will this hurt your playoff chances". There is no nice, clean eject button on a player with the notoriety Bynum has. This isn't McGrady years past being a topic, this is Kim Kardashian stuff. National media are as interested in the potential train wreck as they are the sports angle.

The only clean way out is 5-6 weeks from now when he's playing 15 boring minutes of okay but nothing special ball. Only then will Bynum maybe stop being the biggest topic on the Pacers.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

i understand several people's concerns about bynum. i have them too. however, as others have said, "in bird i trust" well, so do i.
    i don't understand why some would think this means we are now going to try and trade anyone like ian.
    here is what i see:
    if roy got the flu or was unavailable for any extended period, we got ian left and we all know how he can pick up fouls (deserved and undeserved) in a hurry.
    after ian, who else do we got that is a true center?
    no one- that's who.
    yeh, we can play west or scola i suppose but let's face it, neither of those guys are good choices at that spot and we all know that.
    bynum gives us 3 deep at the center spot. we are 3 deep at the other spots and i like being 3 deep there too.
    plus, if he starts acting like an overgrown baby and causes more trouble- we cut him by march 2nd and don't have to worry about anyone else picking him up to use against us.
    since bird seems ok with it, i am fine with this pick up.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    There is no guarantee that Bynum plays above Ian. Vogel wants a rim protector within the system. If he wanted the best all-around player protecting the rim then we would see more Scola/West. If Bynum cannot protect the rim better than Ian, and yet score more....Ian will still be the primary backup to Roy Hibbert.
    I just see the problem with Bynum being help defense. He is so slow. Ian on the other hand, is quite fast and even though he will miss some rotations he will be much better on rotations.
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 02-01-2014 at 02:27 PM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The only clean way out is 5-6 weeks from now when he's playing 15 boring minutes of okay but nothing special ball. Only then will Bynum maybe stop being the biggest topic on the Pacers
    And this is what we are going to get. He won't hurt or help us. I agree the risk is bigger than we are being let on. You can tell from Vogel and Paul George. They are hesitant. They are hopeful..If this...If that...If...Maybe...

What happens in a March practice when Bynum is still not seeing the floor because he doesn't give us what Ian does? What happens when he has to check Roy and Ian on the practice court. And that is the only real burn he sees.

What happens when Paul or Lance attack the rim and he is frustrated?

There are two ifs to this story. If Bynum buys in. And if Bynum doesn't.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    And this is what we are going to get. He won't hurt or help us. I agree the risk is bigger than we are being let on. You can tell from Vogel and Paul George. They are hesitant. They are hopeful..If this...If that...If...Maybe...

What happens in a March practice when Bynum is still not seeing the floor because he doesn't give us what Ian does? What happens when he has to check Roy and Ian on the practice court. And that is the only real burn he sees.

What happens when Paul or Lance attack the rim and he is frustrated?

There are two ifs to this story. If Bynum buys in. And if Bynum doesn't.
    If Bynum buys in, then we are a better team.
    If not, we cut him.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

The comparison to Ron in 2003 fails to me because Ron was far, far, far more important to that team. This is a backup center we can afford to cut immediately if need be and not skip much of a beat if/when. It's hardly the same as our star player being 'crazy' and hating/getting into fights with our other star player. The comparison to the Isiah team doesn't hold much weight to me.

I also had 0% worry about Danny messing chemistry up when he came back, so I'm not part of that group, either.

If Bynum screws up, he's out, Ian's still here ready and waiting. I'm not worried about it. I'd have to to assume we have the weakest bunch of babies ever to think a backup center coming in like this is going to throw off the entire team's chemistry and cause irreparable damage to it. Especially when that guy is an outsider coming in late to the party who can be cut easily. I don't see it.

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I trust that this team simply won't let this be a big distraction. You can already tell by the interviews they had today, heck D-West wouldn't even speak on it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Love this quote

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    I ain't worried about next year. And I haven't all year. We're in the now. And we're gonna do whatever we can to go as far as we possibly can.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

The risk is being massively underrated. Isiah was AS coach with 2 players on the AS team - JO and Brad. He had another that was making the case for DPOY in Artest. The team was out in front and on it's way to a big playoff run. Then Ron's chemistry issues happened, the team fell to 3rd, lost in round 1 and Isiah was fired.

Of course AFTER THE FACT it was all obvious, but I have the articles to prove that plenty of people were feeling pretty good about where the Pacers were at as they headed toward the AS break.

Bird wanted Vogel to do what JOB refused to do and that was to start developing Lance by getting him into the rotation. Frank gave it time and finally started giving Lance regular 2nd quarter minutes. This ended with the worst 3 game stretch of Vogel's career (until maybe last week) with blowouts in OKC, DAL and HOU. In Houston Jones (and maybe Granger/Dun) got in a fight with Lance and Lance went back out of the rotation. The team recovered kinda but there were plenty of ripples to go with the actual losses.

This whole "what can it hurt" from a fanbase and press group that was actively wondering if GRANGER WOULD HURT CHEMISTRY is extremely naive. How in the eff could Granger's return be more distracting than a guy with a history of chemistry issues at 3 teams. It's not like Kobe gave Bynum a ringing endorsement, and it's not like his health/attitude helped Philly or Cleveland. Do you remember who the Sixers coach was when they signed Bynum? Back to the studio, thanks Andrew.

First off, THE PRESS IS ASKING THE PACERS ALL ABOUT BYNUM. Distraction, no way around it. This will be the topic. Not the All-Stars or the Lance snub or the W-L record/seeding. Not the next game vs Miami or Chicago. Not even the current struggles.

Nope, now all the local and national press want to know about is Tim Tebow, I mean Bynum. Did Tebow make the Jets bad with his on-field game? Did he fight with guys? No. All he did was a be a topic that drew attention away from players and subjects that deserved attention and had guys getting sick and tired of answering the same crap. Wasn't even Tebow's fault.

You don't think that a lot more national writers are going to be in the Pacers LR to talk about Bynum for the next 3-4 weeks? Brooklyn is in town tonight with plenty of NYC writers to follow, and each and every one of them just forgot all about Kidd, the Nets bad season, etc and instantly went into "Bynum, Bynum, Bynum" mode. Scola will be asked about Bynum tonight. Freaking Orlando Johnson will be asked about Bynum tonight.

You think if it doesn't work out that it's going to go smoothly? Good lord that will make it worse. National media will be all over it again "what was he like, was he a problem, what did he say, is this a distraction, will this hurt your playoff chances". There is no nice, clean eject button on a player with the notoriety Bynum has. This isn't McGrady years past being a topic, this is Kim Kardashian stuff. National media are as interested in the potential train wreck as they are the sports angle.

The only clean way out is 5-6 weeks from now when he's playing 15 boring minutes of okay but nothing special ball. Only then will Bynum maybe stop being the biggest topic on the Pacers.
    The 2003 Isiah team centered around two players who hated each other, O'Neal and Artest. In that 2003 season, Artest destroyed equipment at MSG, got suspended for flagrant fouls, and was obviously just a general nuisance. They were able to make it work the next season by winning 61 games, but that team was built on a foundation of sand because it revolved around two players who did not like one another and were incapable of being leaders. They were the PG and Hibbert of that team from a basketball importance standpoint, not the Bynum. Bynum is the Tim Hardaway that we added at the end of that season. If PG and Hibbert acted like O'Neal and Artest, then we'd have a problem. But Bynum is just a cherry on the top addition. This team isn't depending on Bynum like they did with O'Neal and Artest. There is no way that he has the power to destroy two and a half years worth of a locker room getting along with one another. He will be outnumbered 14 to 1 and kicked out the door if he tries to pull a stunt.

Look at what happened when Artest went to the Lakers. He was a good solider because he understood that the team didn't revolve around him and that they'd kick him to the curb if he misbehaved. That's kind of what I see happening here. Bynum knows that he doesn't have the clout to act up and make the Pacers revolve their lives around him, because the Pacers will simply kick him to the street if he tries to pull any stunts.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-01-2014 at 02:46 PM.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think this (along with PG's response) shows they can handle the press... and if they can't and it is a distraction; well honestly I would then say they wouldn't have had the mental toughness to make it through the adversity the playoffs can present and they wouldn't win it all after all anyway...

While you think some aren't looking into it enough (underrating the risk), I think you may be looking into it too much. JMO

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Mood

100% agree. He will be a huge distraction. I don't trust his knees add on to that his fiasco in Philly, oh wait on top of that his train wreck with the Cavs it will be a mess.

I am not expecting very much, I am confident our locker room won't let it affect them as much as it would others, but no doubt players will get tired of talking about Bynum.

Lets hope he has been working out the last 3 weeks, like Vogel said 3 weeks off is like a summer for a big man.

I wouldn't be surprised if he helps us in the playoffs, but I am sure as hell not counting on it. Bynum signing with the Pacers scares me more than Bynum signing with the Heat and that is what is scary about this guy. He isn't reliable.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Comparing Isaiah to Vogel is pretty hilarious. Comparing Artest to Bynum is almost as hilarious. Bynum has had his incidents, but he's no Artest. Plus, Artest was a starter... Bynum is a cheap backup.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

This was one of the most sought after players in the world a few years back. His talent level is through the roof. It's a gamble yes. But when your identity is a smash mouth power game you go and find the best pieces that can fit that mold. Last swear we had a huge drop off when Hibbert left the floor. Bird saw a way to make it 48 minutes of hell for teams. Especially one named Miami where our size is what gives them problems.

I don't care about ians feelings. He gets paid do do job and that's the way the team should see it. The best players play and if you don't like it then work on your vertically and offense in the off season so this does not happen again.

I love the move. See what he can bring. If he does not have it then you simply say Cya and go on your way. But my guess is he wants that next contact and will be a model citizen.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Comparing Isaiah to Vogel is pretty hilarious. Comparing Artest to Bynum is almost as hilarious. Bynum has had his incidents, but he's no Artest. Plus, Artest was a starter... Bynum is a cheap backup.
    No doubt Artest always played hard when he played.. Bynum not so much.

If Bynum had 2 healthy knees I could understand why everyone is excited, but the dude hasn't been healthy in forever.

Greg Oden was the most sought after player a few years ago too. Most wanted him over Durant......Bynum was sought after when he was healthy. When you don't play for 2 years you arent going to be near the same level of player.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, there's something to be said that Bynum chose to sign here. I find it hard to believe that he couldn't get more $$$ and playing time somewhere else. He willingly took less floor time and probably less money to come to a team that he had to be aware of on a chemistry level. Bynum is a fairly well-spoken guy. If he was only about $$$, I don't think Indy would be his first choice. It's possible he's been humbled and matured in recent months. He's not a big kid anymore.
    We got him for $1mill... I mean, that is dirt cheap. Larry pulled another slick, flexible move.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-01-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

We just lost a lot of fans outside Indy.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

I don't know what people are so worried about. If he's a problem, the locker room will confront him. If he's a bigger problem, he'll join the James Posey club of Pacer exiles and be off the books at the end of the season. I'm willing to see what he's got. He's got every incentive to play the best basketball of his life right now. What Bynum does from now till possibly June will probably do more than anything to determine the amount of money he'll have for himself and his family for the rest of his life. Sounds over the top but its true.
    Last edited by idioteque; 02-01-2014 at 02:58 PM.

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Exactly. Artest and O'Neal WERE the Pacers. From an importance level, they were the PG and Hibbet of that team. Bynum is just some cherry on the top bench addition who is making a million a year. We put up with Artest and O'Neal because we felt that the present and future of the franchise rested in their hands, but we will punt Bynum to the curb in a heartbeat if he pulls a stunt with us. I feel very certain that Bird and Vogel made this very clear to him, and I think that Bynum is certainly smart enough to understand it.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

With all due respect, I think that's crazy. If he gets 10 straight DNP-CDs and then started getting worked in to the rotation, building up to 10-12 min/g, at no point is he "the biggest topic on the Pacers" any more than Greg Oden has been the biggest topic on the Heat. He's a low salary spare part, with a mixed reputation and with a huge incentive to earn himself his next contract.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I am not expecting very much, I am confident our locker room won't let it affect them as much as it would others, but no doubt players will get tired of talking about Bynum.
    Our players would just stick West on the media... then the issue would be over, because he is a baaaad man!

Seriously though, if they can't handle the press on a subject like this then they also won't be able to handle the press after a loss in the playoffs (especially against the Heat). I f that is the case they won't win the title anyway.

I think our team is more focused and mentally tough than some will give credit... Also what the heck is the difference between the media asking daily about Bynum, than when they asked daily about Granger and how he will fit in and be back???

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    We just lost a lot of fans outside Indy.

I'm still here. Louisiana fan.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post: