Thread: 2014 NBA playoffs: calendar questions

Default 2014 NBA playoffs: calendar questions

Hey guys,

So I'm planning to visit Indy for a few days in late May (or possibly early June), and of course I'd like to time my trip in such a way as to be able to attend a home ECF game (assuming of course the Pacers get that far).

My question to the folks that follow such things (Unclebuck, you there?) is: when is the best time to visit? I want to book my flight soon before rates go up.

Here's what I know or remember:

- Game 1 of the ECF should be between May 18-21 (see link below)
    - If I'm remembering right, each conf. finals series typically plays every other day (game night, off night, game night etc).
    - The Finals begin June 5, so of course the ECF must be over before then

Since it's unknown whether the Pacers would have home court advantage or not, I'd want to plan my trip in a time window that includes one home game AND one away game. Also game 7 might be too late - most series don't go a full 7 games. So I guess I'd be aiming for Game 4 and Game 5, something like that. Game 5 and Game 6 could work too. (Some series don't go 6 games, but I'm not as worried about missing the game if it's only a 5-game series, for reasons that should be obvious.)

SO. ECF schedule might be something like (give or take a day or two in either direction):

May 20 - Game 1
    May 22 - Game 2
    May 24 - Game 3
    May 26 - Game 4
    May 28 - Game 5

May 30 - Game 6
    June 1 - Game 7

Does this seem reasonable? Any schedule junkies out there with a different opinion? Thanks in advance.

(note: I hope no one thinks I'm jinxing the P's by posting this. Obviously it's not a given that the Pacers will even make the ECF. They have to win two series, after all, beforehand. However I'm comfortable with this assumption since I'll also be visiting for reasons other than basketball.)

Edit: Here's the link to the official NBA "important dates" page http://www.nba.com/news/important-dates/
    Last edited by rabid; 03-19-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Default Re: 2014 NBA playoffs: calendar questions

The ECF is on ESPN this year. And your dates are correct. One thing I will mention is this, if the semi-final rounds in the eastern conference all end early it is probable that game 1 of the ECF would be on Sunday May 18th. May 20th is the draft lottery (and that is always on ESPN) so that is locked in for either game 1 or game 2.

Beyond that if we assume the heat and pacers will meet you will need to decide if you figure the pacers will get the homecourt advantage. if they do the first two games will be here either 18th and 20th or 20th and 22nd.

or if you want to gamble and try to be here for game #5, you can count on that being May 28th. (if they start the ECF early on the 18th,m there will be 3 full days off between game 2 and 3 - so game 5 is locked in for may 28th.

ESPN and TNT balready have the days reserved, so there will not be any changes, except if they end early or start earlier. hope that makes some sense

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ECF is on ESPN this year. And your dates are correct. One thing I will mention is this, if the semi-final rounds in the eastern conference all end early it is probable that game 1 of the ECF would be on Sunday May 18th. May 20th is the draft lottery (and that is always on ESPN) so that is locked in for either game 1 or game 2.

Beyond that if we assume the heat and pacers will meet you will need to decide if you figure the pacers will get the homecourt advantage. if they do the first two games will be here either 18th and 20th or 20th and 22nd.

or if you want to gamble and try to be here for game #5, you can count on that being May 28th. (if they start the ECF early on the 18th,m there will be 3 full days off between game 2 and 3 - so game 5 is locked in for may 28th.

ESPN and TNT balready have the days reserved, so there will not be any changes, except if they end early or start earlier. hope that makes some sense
    Thanks UB.

I think my plan is to be there for games 4 AND 5, that way I'll be in town for 1 home game no matter which team has home court advantage.

It's good to know that the 28th is locked-in for game 5. And it sounds like game 4 is either 2 days before or 4 days before that, depending on when the ECF starts (2 days being more likely). So if I was in town, say, the 24th-29th I'd be pretty much guaranteed to see a Pacers' playoff game (assuming they make the ECF and it goes at least 5 games)

Sports Logo

Question to all those that live in Indy.....when I visited Indy to watch the 2nd round a few years back against the Heat.....the start of the Indy 500 time trials ( I think that is what you call it ) was around that time.

When does the Indy 500 start?

Is it around the end of May-ish?

Would it coincide with the ECF?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Question to all those that live in Indy.....when I visited Indy to watch the 2nd round a few years back against the Heat.....the start of the Indy 500 time trials ( I think that is what you call it ) was around that time.

When does the Indy 500 start?

Is it around the end of May-ish?

Would it coincide with the ECF?
    Race day is always the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend (so May 25 this year). Carb day, bump day, time trials etc. occur in the 2-3 weeks leading up to the race. And yes this coincides with the ECF, so every time the Pacers make a deep playoff run it's always at the same time that all the race-related stuff is going on. Locals are pretty used to it though, or at least they were when I lived there.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rabid View Post
    Hey guys,

So I'm planning to visit Indy for a few days in late May (or possibly early June), and of course I'd like to time my trip in such a way as to be able to attend a home ECF game (assuming of course the Pacers get that far).
    rabid...just out of curiousity....r u planning to visit for some other reason to the Indy area during that time?

or

Is it purely in the hopes of attending the ECF?

For me, if they can make it to the ECF....then there is an acceptable chance of them going to the next step and make it to the NBA Finals. I thought to myself a few years ago that I'd rather save the $$$ and vacation time and gamble a bit in the hopes that they will make it to the NBA Finals...cuz I would hate it if I blew the chance to see them in the NBA finals...while spending the money to see them in the ECF.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Race day is always the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend (so May 25 this year). Carb day, bump day, time trials etc. occur in the 2-3 weeks leading up to the race. And yes this coincides with the ECF, so every time the Pacers make a deep playoff run it's always at the same time that all the race-related stuff is going on. Locals are pretty used to it though, or at least they were when I lived there.
    That's great timing then.....you can catch both the ECF and the Indy 500.

Sports Logo

Another reminder for all planning anything for the NBA Finals.....the NBA is adopting a 2-2-1-1-1 NBA Finals format....not the old fashioned 2-3-2 format.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    rabid...just out of curiousity....r u planning to visit for some other reason to the Indy area during that time?

or

Is it purely in the hopes of attending the ECF?
    I'll be working while I'm there (my job allows me to work remotely sometimes) and catching up with old friends. I lived in Indiana for over 30 years but haven't visited since 2008.

If we make the NBA finals I will find a way to go to at least 1 game, even if it means flying back the following week or extending my stay. I made the mistake of not attending in 2000 and it's haunted me ever since.

I'm not so interested in the race, though I might go if I'm in town. The race was always blacked out on TV when I was younger so I never got very attached to the event (great marketing there folks).

So this trip is kind of its own thing. I don't want to miss out on the ECF unless something super crazy happens, like Miami or Indy losing in the first or second round or something like that.

I guess there's a sliver of a chance that Golden State and Indy could both be in the Finals and I could see them here, but there is probably a 1 percent or less chance of that happening and the Warriors tix would be impossible to get or afford in that case anyway.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not so interested in the race, though I might go if I'm in town. The race was always blacked out on TV when I was younger so I never got very attached to the event (great marketing there folks).
    It's why to this day I love listening to the 500 on the radio while at the grill with a beer and a race chart. Unfortunately, the coverage has gotten so chart unfriendly that it is almost impossible to do any more (if they would just give the freaking car numbers along with the names when they do the rundowns...)

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh