Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

  1. #1
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Over the next 3 years, the Colts need to take advantage of the fact that they have a stud quarterback playing on a rookie contract. This is definitely one of the reasons Irsay decided to cut Manning. He realized that the first four years of Luck's career would cost roughly the same as one year of Manning. Grigs really needs to take advantage of that over the next couple of years. He kind of whiffed on some of the free agents last year, but hopefully he has a good bounce back in 2014 and adds some nce players. The Seahawks are kind of in the position the Colts are in now. They took advantage of the fact that Wilson and some other young players are being paid pennies. Things will get tougher for them too when those guys need paydays.

    StampedeBlue had an article about this the other day. Brad Wells says that the Colts have to pay Luck two years from now in the Winter of 2016, aka after year four of his career. I thought that there was a fifth year team option though, which would mean that the Colts wouldn't have to pay him until the Winter of 2017. Anyway, there is a lot of typical Wells hyperbole there, but overall his point is pretty on. The Colts really need to take advantage of this golden opportunity while Luck is still on a cheap deal. Once Luck signs a major contract, it's going to make it all the more difficult to field a beast team around him. Obviously it will still be possible to field a beast team, but it's just going to be harder. Plus you have to figure that Hilton is going to be playing his way into a pretty big contract himself.

    The Ravens won the Super Bowl last year when Flacco was still on his rookie deal, but him playing like Joe Montana in the playoffs was honestly the worst thing that could have ever happened to them from the standpoint of the future of the franchise. He is grossly overpaid and will make it more difficult to field a great team around him. Obviously Luck is a better quarterback than Flacco, but the Colts will find themselves in the same financial situation someday soon when Luck is paid a ton of money.

    http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/2/4...2013-offseason

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/81...anapolis-colts

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  3. #2

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Completely agree with this. The new rookie salary structure is going to really change team building around the QB position. Look at the playoff QB's for example:

    Elite QB's: Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers
    Rookie Deal QB's: Luck, Kapernick, Wilson, Newton, Dalton
    Other QB's: Rivers, Vick/Foles (Foles is on a rookie contract, but I'm putting him here because they were paying Vick), Alex Smith

    Most of the second tier QB's who got paid missed the playoffs. Eli, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Ryan, Romo, Cutler, Stafford, Schaub.

    It might not be as extreme as this year, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. QB contracts are a bubble right now. They are taking up a larger and larger percentage of the cap, and it is starting to go too far. Even the elite QB's, their teams were really good this year, but they all had depth issues because of the huge contracts. Then when you get to the second tier QB's, they can leverage their status to also get huge contracts because teams are afraid of being in the QB wasteland for awhile, but signing a QB like that to a huge contract really puts a team behind the eight ball.

    The Colts need to take advantage of Luck's next two years and hope that he continues to develop into an elite QB after that. I wouldn't be surprised to see if trading QB's becomes a market inefficiency pretty soon as well.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    The NFL started to get it right with the rookie contracts. Next, they need to set some sort of structure or maximum for the rest of the deals.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  7. #4

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Hopefully that entails not making bad trades like they did last season.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,343

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully that entails not making bad trades like they did last season.
    Agreed. We cannot whiff on a trade like we did with Trent. Sure he may come back next season and be good, but he was an utter waste this season.

    We really have to nail the offensive line moves this offseason. If we can get the OL solidified for the next few years I think skies the limit for this team.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    PacerDude, you're right about the rookie contracts. It was by far the best thing to come out of the 2011 lockout. The Colts are so fortunate to have drafted Luck after the latest CBA. Luck's contract is a very modest 4 year $22.1 million dollar deal with a 5th year team option. Just two years prior in 2010, Sam Bradford signed for an obscene six years $78 million dollars. Can you imagine what the Colts would have had to pay Luck if he would have been drafted before the new CBA?

    Cubs, you're right about the fact that the second tier QB's getting first tier contracts is really causing problems for teams. It's one thing when a guy like Manning, Brady, Rodgers or Brees gets that kind of money since those guys virtually guarantee that their teams will make the playoffs. But as you mention, even some of those teams have had to deal with depth issues because of the large contracts. However, when it's the second tier guys who get those kind of contracts, then it starts to cause a really big problem. Guys like Romo, Eli, Cutler, Flacco, etc simply are not good enough to guarantee that their team will get into the playoffs, but they are paid like it. It's just a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The Ravens really had no choice but to bend over to Flacco last year after he looked like Joe Montana in the playoffs, outplaying both Manning and Brady. Guys like Cutler and Romo haven't won anything, but those teams get scarred that they would be far worse without them.

    Regardless, teams like the Seahawks, Colts, Niners, and Panthers better enjoy their cheap quarterbacks while they can. The GM's of these teams are going to have a much more difficult job in the coming future. Ryan Grigson needs to take advantage of Luck being cheap while he can. I want to see a home run off-season this year.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Member Downtown Bang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    I think I read where Luck's 5th year option should end up in the neighborhood of 15M. Should still be a bargain and very workable. It will be the next year at 25M or more where things get difficult.

    As everyone has stated the Colts really need to take advantage of this window. Spend wisely in free agency, draft well and hopefully avoid major injuries like what happened last season.

    Once Luck gets paid (assuming solid personnel decisions) I see it going like Brady's recent years with the Patriots. A playoff team every year but maybe only a serious Super Bowl threat every 3-4 years. The margin for error will get really small. One or two too many injuries or a so-so draft could easily torpedo a season.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    I'll really be interested to see how teams like San Francisco and Seattle adjust, because they are going to be in our position too. They both have stacked teams right now, but they are each fortunate that they are paying their good quarterback pennies at the moment. Kaepernick and Wilson will be getting paid some big bucks in the future. Hell, Richard Sherman was paid absolute pennies this year too. He only made about $600,000 this year and will make about $1.4 million in 2014 before being a free agent. He'll get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaid big time a year from now.

    There was the "dynasty" talk about Seattle after the championship, but I don't see it. They'll have a legit chance to repeat next year, but things will get tough for them soon when all of these young stud players are due for new contracts.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  17. #9

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Today's NFL is not built for dynasties I don't care who you are. They say this about every SB winner I mean the Packers were supposed to be a dynasty and only won 2 playoff games since. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle missed the playoffs entirely

    The closest since the Patriots was probably the Giants(4 year gap between SB wins)

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  19. #10
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Today's NFL is not built for dynasties I don't care who you are. They say this about every SB winner I mean the Packers were supposed to be a dynasty and only won 2 playoff games since. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle missed the playoffs entirely

    The closest since the Patriots was probably the Giants(4 year gap between SB wins)
    Yeah, both the Giants and Steelers qualify as "mini dynasties" in today's NFL. Giants won 2 in 5 years, and Steelers won 2 in 4 years.

    I think the Patriots might go down as the last true dynasty in NFL history. 3 out of 4 is just insane.

    I love the unpredictability of the NFL. Last year the Falcons and Texans were elite teams, but this year they were completely bottom of the barrel. Every season is unpredictable.

  20. #11

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    I forgot about the Steelers yes they're another team.

  21. #12
    Member Downtown Bang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    555

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    The NFL has it figured out. The system allows any well managed franchise legit opportunities to win a championship yet still spotlights it's stars. As Pacerdude mentioned above maybe the one adjustment could be establishing some type of max annual salary. Too many QB's are eating up too high a % of their teams capspace. It's an "arms" race that could have a big negative impact on several teams with 2nd & 3rd tier QB's.

    I'm also very interested to see where the 49ers and Seahawks go. The two QB's currently on rookie deals that I would pay top end money are Luck & Newton. The market will probably dictate that Kapernick & Wilson get that kind of money too but as much as I like them I'm not convinced they will live up to the deals once their teams have to start making hard choices on the personnel that surrounds them.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NFL has it figured out. The system allows any well managed franchise legit opportunities to win a championship yet still spotlights it's stars. As Pacerdude mentioned above maybe the one adjustment could be establishing some type of max annual salary. Too many QB's are eating up too high a % of their teams capspace. It's an "arms" race that could have a big negative impact on several teams with 2nd & 3rd tier QB's.

    I'm also very interested to see where the 49ers and Seahawks go. The two QB's currently on rookie deals that I would pay top end money are Luck & Newton. The market will probably dictate that Kapernick & Wilson get that kind of money too but as much as I like them I'm not convinced they will live up to the deals once their teams have to start making hard choices on the personnel that surrounds them.
    Yeah, what really hurts is when you give the likes of Eli, Romo, Ryan, Flacco, or Cutler a contract that is on par with a Peyton, Brady, Brees, or Rodgers. The latter four guys are great enough to virtually guarantee that their teams will be in the playoffs no mater what, but the other guys just aren't on that level, yet they get paid like it.

  24. #14

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Eli's won 2 Super Bowls that at least I get the others not so much but they aren't that bad they just aren't elite.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eli's won 2 Super Bowls that at least I get the others not so much but they aren't that bad they just aren't elite.

    True, 2 Super Bowls is 2 Super Bowls and he won them in epic fashion against the New England Patriots. Obviously that alone makes his career a smashing success. My point though is that he's just never been good enough to routinely will his team into the playoffs. The Giants have missed the postseason in 4 out of the last 5 seasons with Eli's sloppy play being a major reason for that. But in that one season where they made the playoffs, they won a championship with him playing some of the best playoff football of any quarterback in history.

    Eli missed a golden opportunity after that last Super Bowl to really cement himself as top 5 quarterback in the league. The championships are important, but to be a great quarterback you have to routinely win in the regular season and get your team into the playoffs. Eli looked like he was on his way to doing that at the start of 2012 when the Giants were 6-2, but then they had a death spiral down the stretch and missed the playoffs with Eli playing pretty sloppy. Then of course there was the travesty that was the 2013 season. It's just disappointing. Eli plays like one of the best ever when he gets into the playoffs, but he has trouble against mediocre teams in October and November that should be beaten.

    As far as the other quarterbacks are concerned, guys like Romo and Cutler are the classic "well they really aren't worth this much money, but who in the hell else are we going to get?" type of player.

  27. #16

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Well since its all about rings does it matter if he gets them into the playoffs consistently? I mean that's what the media keeps telling people.

  28. #17
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well since its all about rings does it matter if he gets them into the playoffs consistently? I mean that's what the media keeps telling people.
    Yes, it does matter. You can't look like crap in the regular season for a good chunk of his career like he has and expect to be ranked among the best.

  29. #18

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    But he has 2 rings so that affords him a lot of leeway doesn't it?

  30. #19
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But he has 2 rings so that affords him a lot of leeway doesn't it?

    Yes, he might have been benched this season if it weren't for the two rings and last name on the back of his jersey.

  31. #20

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Curtis Painter is his backup I don't think he was ever going to get benched.

  32. #21
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curtis Painter is his backup I don't think he was ever going to get benched.
    Ha, yeah true. But I do think that the media and franchise were more patient with him than they would be anyone else. He needs to play better next season. They'll forget about this putrid season if he produces next year, but if he has another awful season then people will start getting impatient with him.

  33. #22

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    The Giants as a whole were rather putrid though they had no run game etc he's also 33 years old now so yeah I figure they would be considering the future he doesn't have a lot of years left.

  34. #23
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,578

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Giants as a whole were rather putrid though they had no run game etc he's also 33 years old now so yeah I figure they would be considering the future he doesn't have a lot of years left.

    33 isn't that old for a quarterback anymore. His brother is 37, had a brutal injury, and is still balling. Brady and 36 and shows no signs of slowing down. Brees is 34 and still lights people up. Rodgers is already 30.

    The Giants whole team was indeed bad as you say, but I'd rank Eli's interceptions as a major reason why they had such an awful season. Hopefully the change in offensive coordinator helps. When I watched their games this year, it seems as though every passing play consisted of Eli dropping back and throwing long passes. That's too predictable and is hard to consistently execute. He needs to take a play from big bro's playbook and run more screens and short slants.

  35. #24

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    33 isn't that old for a quarterback anymore. His brother is 37, had a brutal injury, and is still balling. Brady and 36 and shows no signs of slowing down. Brees is 34 and still lights people up. Rodgers is already 30.

    The Giants whole team was indeed bad as you say, but I'd rank Eli's interceptions as a major reason why they had such an awful season. Hopefully the change in offensive coordinator helps. When I watched their games this year, it seems as though every passing play consisted of Eli dropping back and throwing long passes. That's too predictable and is hard to consistently execute. He needs to take a play from big bro's playbook and run more screens and short slants.

    It may seem like it isn't old in QB years but it is if age was nothing but a number the Colts would've kept Manning but it was a factor in him being sent out to pasture(so to speak). Drew is 35 but the Saints are thinking about who his successor is going to be by now. While they won't dump him at 33 they would at least consider getting his successor if they already haven't done so(Nassib)

  36. #25
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,255

    Default Re: Colts need to take advantage of next 3 years.

    I have recently heard stories that the Colts have the easiest schedule next year and like the 4th highest cap money. Grigs......please don't screw this up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •