Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paul George and sharing the ball

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George and sharing the ball

Seems like several times a game, Paul holds the ball and puts up a low percentage shot. Besides Mahinmi, all of our players can score, yet Paul seems reluctant to pass. Last night's game, Quinn Buckner mentioned that Paul shot instead of passing to an open Scola. Is this the coaches telling Paul to put up x number of shots per game? Or is this Paul trying to become Kevin Durant?
    David "And One" West

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George and sharing the ball

While I'm one of the people who loves ball sharing, I think Paul is considered the primary scorer and that he has the green light to shoot when he thinks he has a good shot. Strong shooters pretty much always think their shots are going to go in, and there's some truth to the idea that you have to be willing and ready to shoot in order to do well at it.

I only mind if it is clearly a bad shot.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Part of it is that he thinks he is better than he is. He is a great player, but not really all that close to LeBron and Durant.
    @qandrews9428

6. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

He wants to be 'the man'. he's going to be 'the man'. He's not 'the man' yet. But don't tell him, he really thinks he is.

I think he got a little full of himself after the start of the season he had. Too often now, he's ready to go 1-on-1, try to make the SportsCenter play, playing a bit lazy on defense ....... he should look at some video if the 1st 15-20 games of the season. Maybe it would remind him how to play.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think he had a slight change... Big contract, Starting in the All-star game, Kimmel. Sort of "overswag". But He'll get it back together... No need to judge him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    I think he had a slight change... Big contract, Starting in the All-star game, Kimmel. Sort of "overswag". But He'll get it back together... No need to judge him.
    The hell there isn't.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not just Paul. Our offense really stopped moving the ball lately and evolved into us watching Lance and praying he pulls something out of his ***. It reminds me of when we used to run our offense through Roy in the post and would spend 14 seconds just standing there trying to make the entry pass.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

It's not Paul's willingness to pass that concerns me. It's his accuracy and decision-making. He throws too many passes late, and even when he reads and recognizes the play and executes on-time, he has a bad tendency to deliver low or high so the ball can't transition from pass to shooting motion without a costly delay/hitch.

In all honesty, he's just not a very good passer now. He's good-to-great in a lot of areas, but that ain't one of 'em.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    While I'm one of the people who loves ball sharing, I think Paul is considered the primary scorer and that he has the green light to shoot when he thinks he has a good shot. Strong shooters pretty much always think their shots are going to go in, and there's some truth to the idea that you have to be willing and ready to shoot in order to do well at it.

I only mind if it is clearly a bad shot.
    I could understand this if nobody else could score, but his teammates all score well. Shouldn't Vogel turn off the green light?
    David "And One" West

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I could understand this if nobody else could score, but his teammates all score well. Shouldn't Vogel turn off the green light?
    The whole team has been doing this the last few games. Especially the starters. They are playing a bit bored/ lazy, I'm sure they'll get it together before long, its a marathon of a season. Also his problem is more that his passes have been bad tgan that he's shooting too often. He hasn't been shooting all that much in all honesty 16 to 18 shots isn't that much.

I think we do have an issue with both Paul and to a lesser degree Lance. Both players will often take a contested shot when we have bigs open in the paint or hold onto the ball for too long and dump it off as the clock expires. I'd also say that we're playing both player too many minutes. Frank needs to get a little more control on Paul and Lance without destroying the energy that they bring. It's as much what Frank is demanding as it is the players who are young and need a little more direction. It's not Frank's style but he needs to find a way.

And we wonder why stars don't want to play in Indiana. Fans seem to complain every chance they get about PG these days.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

^^ Yeah, NYC is so much better.

And Philly.

Maybe it's because some of us understand basketball and just don't appreciate dogging it, lack of effort, lack of focus ........ whatever you want to call it. There's an obvious difference and we notice it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    ^^ Yeah, NYC is so much better.

And Philly.

Maybe it's because some of us understand basketball and just don't appreciate dogging it, lack of effort, lack of focus ........ whatever you want to call it. There's an obvious difference and we notice it.
    No team in the NBA is without slumps, it's an unrealistic expectation.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    And we wonder why stars don't want to play in Indiana. Fans seem to complain every chance they get about PG these days.
    Being a star comes with star expectations. If they can't handle that, then they are not going to be a star for very long anyways.

To be above criticism you must play without anything to critique.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Paul's last two games, he has 3 total assists. With how often he touches the ball, he should accidentally get at least 5 assists per game
    David "And One" West

Paul's last two games, he has 3 total assists. With how often he touches the ball, he should accidentally get at least 5 assists per game
    So as a scorer not a facilitator he should be passing for immediate shots no fewer than 10-11 times per game?
    BillS

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Absolutely not, Paul is our guy and a top 5-8 player in the NBA. He's in a slump now but you can't just turn off his green light

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The biggest difference is his shots havent been falling the last few games where the majority of the season they have been. PG has been hitting shots I dont think he should take all year because his jumper has improved and I'm not fully used to it yet.

I'm fine with it for the most part, but would prefer when those shots are falling he should be aggressive and drive more. PG is always willing to pass imo. He just needs to be smarter with his passes. He Would have more assists if he was cleaner with his passes.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

A big part of this is Paul's shooting is just stuck in a nasty rut. His shooting % has dipped from like 47 to 44 in the past 2-3 weeks.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    It's not Paul's willingness to pass that concerns me. It's his accuracy and decision-making. He throws too many passes late, and even when he reads and recognizes the play and executes on-time, he has a bad tendency to deliver low or high so the ball can't transition from pass to shooting motion without a costly delay/hitch.

In all honesty, he's just not a very good passer now. He's good-to-great in a lot of areas, but that ain't one of 'em.
    The thing is, even back as a rookie, I saw him make some GREAT passes. It's almost like he's just being too sloppy.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The thing is, even back as a rookie, I saw him make some GREAT passes. It's almost like he's just being too sloppy.
    Paul can throw some good looking dimes, but he does not have the natural ability that Lance has. Much like Durant Paul is going to have to grow into his playmaking. It is easy to forget, but also important to remember that Paul is only 23. Durant is a very good benchmark for Paul's development as a playmaker. In Durant's fourth year in the NBA (he was 22), he averaged 2.8 APG, his next year (the lockout shortened season), he turned 23 and averaged 3.5 APG (nearly identical to PG), now at 25, Durant is averaging over 5 APG.

OKC fans had a lot of the same complaints about KD that we currently have about Paul, can't handle the ball, doesn't create for others, when really it was just a case of Rome not being built in a day unless you're Lebron James. You have to add this stuff to your game over time. Paul has taken MAJOR leaps in scoring already, I believe that much like KD his playmaking will be the next thing to experience a bump. PG was actually a much better playmaker in year 3 of his career than Durant was, but he was not the scorer. Now Paul has seen his scoring take a major jump and his assists have predictably dipped slightly. He's going to bring it all together IMO, it's not going to happen before this year's playoffs, but within the next two years I think this will not be as much of an issue.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sadly, the only way to get out of a shooting slump is to shoot the ball. This makes it seems like a player is forcing shots when in reality he is just executing the play that is called for him. I will agree that our starters have started ball watching when Lance is on a roll. Mostly because you never know when Lance is going to pull off a play you really don't want to miss seeing! PG may be playing a few too many minutes at this point in the season but I kinda trust Frank to handle the mpg for the guys.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

So..Paul George isn't allowed to go through a little bit of a slump without it being because he's gotten arrogant? Really? Kind of like how Danny Granger is a cancer.

Maybe he's just tired..needs the upcoming break (There's a reason they put one here..) just to refresh himself. He's played a lot of minutes and does a lot for this team.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post: