Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers / Magic Post Game Thread - 2/2

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers / Magic Post Game Thread - 2/2

Good win. Glad to see the bench play well, especially DG. His shot was falling and he looked like he did a few weeks ago when he was scoring double figures. It really gives us a nice edge when he plays like that off of the bench. I loved the passing between the bench players. There were some great extra passes from Granger and Scola. Scola's FG% was pretty bad again, but he played good team ball out there and was a willing passer.

It's definitely good to get CJ shots like tonight. He's a very capable scorer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Man, if only we had kept Gerald Green instead of Granger

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was nice to see Danny's shot falling tonight. His release was quicker tonight and he really got good lift on most of his Jump shots. However I'm mostly pleased with his defense in this game. He made the most of his minutes and it was good to see.

I have to give Ian some credit too. It was one of his better games and his defense was really good. He caught some tough passes, the kinds that he normally bobbles, and even hit a couple of contested layups.

Lance was his usual energetic self and although he made a couple of bad passes, a lot of good things happened when he pushed the ball up in transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Man, if only we had kept Gerald Green instead of Granger
    Don't do that. You are just inviting a trade proposal from a certain poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Not bad for a guy who's looking old?
    I spent some time just watching Danny tonight, and it was funny. I'd forgotten how Danny moved. Lance is all explosions, and Paul George has this smooth, cat-like quickness, but Danny still plays like an old man, just like when he was 25.

He never seems to move quick... even when he's beating his guy off the dribble and getting into the lane. When he defends a guy on the wing, he doesn't look impressive. He just stands there and for whatever reason his man is unable to get around him. In the post, Danny just stands there and his guy can't back him down.

Danny's no longer our best player. Right now, he's not one of our top 5 players. Even if he comes all the way back, it's hard to know where he'd rank. But even when he was at his best, Danny always played like that. No flash, no sizzle, just battling with Durant for the regular-season scoring title.

He's the anti-star, and I see why lots of people underestimate him. But I've always loved his game.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Candace Buckner's pre-game writeup
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...acers/5166727/

Prediction: Orlando, talented yet young, will likely be a draft or two away from competing in the Eastern Conference. The team, with the second worst overall record in the NBA, has only three road wins – which, if you're wondering, ranks at the bottom. As the Pacers still carry some sluggishness from the recent five-game road trip, this matchup should help them recover just fine. Indiana wins 98-79.
    Not bad kid.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I spent some time just watching Danny tonight, and it was funny. I'd forgotten how Danny moved. Lance is all explosions, and Paul George has this smooth, cat-like quickness, but Danny still plays like an old man, just like when he was 25.

He never seems to move quick... even when he's beating his guy off the dribble and getting into the lane. When he defends a guy on the wing, he doesn't look impressive. He just stands there and for whatever reason his man is unable to get around him. In the post, Danny just stands there and his guy can't back him down.

Danny's no longer our best player. Right now, he's not one of our top 5 players. Even if he comes all the way back, it's hard to know where he'd rank. But even when he was at his best, Danny always played like that. No flash, no sizzle, just battling with Durant for the regular-season scoring title.

He's the anti-star, and I see why lots of people underestimate him. But I've always loved his game.
    Nice game by Granger. He's moving a little better than earlier in the year, but he's still noticeably slower than a couple years ago. I am hopeful at this point, but Orlando is not the measuring stick. He needs to play effectively (not great) against the quicker teams in the league. He's struggled against quickness IMO. Still, he is slowly getting better which is an encouraging sign.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Nice game by Granger. He's moving a little better than earlier in the year, but he's still noticeably slower than a couple years ago. I am hopeful at this point, but Orlando is not the measuring stick. He needs to play effectively (not great) against the quicker teams in the league. He's struggled against quickness IMO. Still, he is slowly getting better which is an encouraging sign.
    Hey, weren't you the guy saying he wouldn't be able to give us 75% of what OJ gave us? I can bump that thread if you want.

Anyway, while he certainly doesn't have his full speed or lift back, I don't think he's that much slower. I'm not seeing guys blow by him. He spent plenty of time tonight against Tobias Harris, defending him both in the post and on the wing. He did a fine job on Nick Young a few nights back.

Agreed, though, that he continues to improve. We'll see where he levels off. Since a lot of his hesitation seems to be mental, I'm hoping some more games like this help snap him out of it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Like Anthem said, Danny has never been fast, quick, or much of an athlete. For as "slow" as everyone says he is, he gets to the basket fairly effectively, and hardly ever gets beat off the dribble. He just utilizes position, strength, and veteran know how.

As I said in my previous post, the difference between tonight and the last few games is Danny hit a few jumpers. He's been getting to the line quite a bit lately, rebounding nicely, and passing pretty well. What made this game better than the last few is that his jump shot fell.

Some appreciate the nuances of Danny's game, others do not. Hopefully he can continue to have nights closer to tonight moving forward.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

On a completely different note. I'm impressed with Affalo. If he ever goes to a good team, he will be a major weapon. Good shooter, solid defensively, very very smart/sound. That guy seriously may be the 2nd best 2guard in the East behind Wade. Very impressive.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I worked late so I just caught the end of the 4th. Great to see the win and see that Granger had a good game. I hope Vogel looks to build on Danny's minutes just a little more. The 2 biggest issues with Danny over the past few games and his 7 games in double digit scoring was his minutes played and the fact his shot wasn't falling. He's been moving well, defending well, and passing well the entire time. I'd like to see Danny average a little more scoring, say 13-15 ppg but for that to happen he has to get at least 25 minutes and he should be able to get 9-10 shot attempts.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Good win. Glad to see the bench play well, especially DG. His shot was falling and he looked like he did a few weeks ago when he was scoring double figures. It really gives us a nice edge when he plays like that off of the bench. I loved the passing between the bench players. There were some great extra passes from Granger and Scola. Scola's FG% was pretty bad again, but he played good team ball out there and was a willing passer.

It's definitely good to get CJ shots like tonight. He's a very capable scorer.
    Actually, the ball movement was fairly bad in the 3rd QTR. The Pacers were up by 14+ points....but in the 3rd QTR.....they fell flat and couldnt score. Not because they were being defended well.....but because the majority of the possessions were "dribble the ball up the court, move the ball around, dribble dribble and then jack up a 3pt shot". It was the typical garbage mediocre offense that we all hate...not enough ball movement....which Quinn and Denari CONTINUALLLY pointed that out. When the offense FINALLY started to look for and be ready for the extra pass....thats when the offense clicked.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Actually, the ball movement was fairly bad in the 3rd QTR. The Pacers were up by 14+ points....but in the 3rd QTR.....they fell flat and couldnt score. Not because they were being defended well.....but because the majority of the possessions were "dribble the ball up the court, move the ball around, dribble dribble and then jack up a 3pt shot". It was the typical garbage mediocre offense that we all hate...not enough ball movement....which Quinn and Denari CONTINUALLLY pointed that out. When the offense FINALLY started to look for and be ready for the extra pass....thats when the offense clicked.
    Well, if it was out starters versus our bench our bench would probably have blown out the starters tonight.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Well, if it was out starters versus our bench our bench would probably have blown out the starters tonight.
    This lack of ball movment and really unimaginative offense where you can see that the dribbling and ill-timed passes where there isn't enough time on the shot clock but to jack up an ill-fated 3pt shot is what often stagnates the offense.

The best example of it was the first 8 minutes of the 3rd QTR. I don't think that the Magic were playing outstanding or inspired defense....they were just scoring like normal and the Pacers simply couldn't score cuz they fell into this "lazy offense" of theirs.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Granted, the Pacers bench and the Magic bench have some talent distance between them, but our starting five, especially PG, was not efficient at basketball tonight. Orlando didn't really have to try to get in the passing lanes to deflect our complacent passes. Again, DWest needs to be more decisive at the top of the key, especially when we are in 'last option' mode. And the starters seemed to be in 'last option' mode for some of the first, some of the second, and the entire third quarter. Danny outlined it in his post-game interview with Brooke: the bench moved, shared the ball, made cuts, and passed; certain players have been playing a little too much iso the past 10-12 games. That exacerbates an already inefficient offense.

Ian Report: Other than a couple of miscues on O'Quinn and Vucevic, he was in the right spots against a more than occasionally hapless Magic squad. He missed a couple of poorly conceived shots and made a couple (three I guess) inside; I honestly can't remember all seven (!) shots. A couple of solid recovery blocks, though the second one was the one that caused the shoulder pain. No sure if this hurts more than the tooth, but we do need him to play tomorrow; someone has to stop Mike Scott. You know he gets docked for missing the front end free throw flat and long like every time. But he was a key part of a bench that really showed out and won us this game. 'B+', and feel better mon ami!

I think Danny benefitted from the schedule the past 6 days. No travel and 1 day between games. In fact the whole team has.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Granger won us the game last night. PG and Lance tried to give it away with cute passes that were continually deflected. Danny had a chase down block on one of those deflections that was called a foul, but could have been called either way. When is the last time you seen PG or Lance chase somebody down in transition to make the defensive play?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Granger won us the game last night. PG and Lance tried to give it away with cute passes that were continually deflected. Danny had a chase down block on one of those deflections that was called a foul, but could have been called either way. When is the last time you seen PG or Lance chase somebody down in transition to make the defensive play?
    PG does it quite often.

We started to see signs of life from Danny in the second half against BKN. He was attacking the hoop and drawing fouls. It's amazing how a few free throws can jump start a shooter in a slump (take notes PG). Tonight on a back to back in ATL will be telling, it would be amazing to see Danny follow up last night with another 14-15 point outing. Luckily the starters shoudl be ready to go. I really want to beat the damn Hawks in ATL.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

The thing that Danny has that is pretty much a pre-requisite for being a very good basketball player is body control. Danny is fantastic at getting a guy on his shoulder and then keeping his body squared to the rim. He's also very good at defending with his whole body.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    PG does it quite often.
    Yeah, in fact he had Oladipo lined up for another chase down block (like he got against him in the season opener), but then G. Hill committed the clear path foul. Paul got on him for that. We saw a slightly better effort from Paul defensively last night, still not all the way back, but much better.

Also, didn't Lance have a chase down defensive play a couple games ago where he went straight up at the rim? I feel like he's had a couple of those. Doesn't get the block, but does a good job getting his body between the ball handler and the hoop in transition

What are the Vegas odds on how many times Denari will mention the regular season losing streak in Atlanta?

I would say that it would be a fun drinking game to take a shot every time he mentioned it, but you'd be in the ER by halftime.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    What are the Vegas odds on how many times Denari will mention the regular season losing streak in Atlanta?

I would say that it would be a fun drinking game to take a shot every time he mentioned it, but you'd be in the ER by halftime.
    Just don't combine it with the Hibbert Fall Down game.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Danny looked more comfortable and moved more with more fluid. His defense has always been there. But him attacking the baseline is really going to open up the offense.

In fact the entire starting lineup needs to attack the baseline.

Paul George is playing like he was last year. He is indecisive 60% of the time. He is letting the defender dictate where he is going. And on defense he isn't the best perimeter defender in the last month, Hill is.

Hill couldn't hit anything. The didn't attack the basket. They took the easy route and chucked in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Danny looked more comfortable and moved more with more fluid. His defense has always been there. But him attacking the baseline is really going to open up the offense.

In fact the entire starting lineup needs to attack the baseline.

Paul George is playing like he was last year. He is indecisive 60% of the time. He is letting the defender dictate where he is going. And on defense he isn't the best perimeter defender in the last month, Hill is.

Hill couldn't hit anything. The didn't attack the basket. They took the easy route and chucked in the second half.
    I agree with this. As a whole PG and Lance have been terrible defenders for the past 8 games. There have been flashes of defense but our perimeter D has been our main factor in the games we've lost. Both GH and Danny have out played them on D during that stretch and it shouldn't be that way.
    Vogel seems to be a players coach and I don't see him calling out his key players but I think he needs to. Frank needs to put a stop to the fancy passes that result in 6-8 turnovers per game and he needs to call out Paul and Lance on their defense. They've proven that they can be the best perimeter defenders in the league but they're just not putting the consistent effort in it that they're capable of. Sometimes a coach has to remind players to do their job even if it seems redundant over a full season.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post: