2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Satele's gone! Huzzah!
    Best news all off-season.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

That made my day. Thank goodness. We need a good center, someone who we can pair with Luck for a long time
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Get well soon PG! Believe_in_blue's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We need a huge sign on LOS similar to the Peyton and Freeney sign that said Thanks. The only difference, Satele's should say "Thanks for nothing"!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Believe_in_blue View Post
    We need a huge sign on LOS similar to the Peyton and Freeney sign that said Thanks. The only difference, Satele's should say "Thanks for nothing"!
    Ha.

On a serious note, it's time to put Luck on Lucas. This will be his third season and I think that carrying the team over the last two years has earned him the honor.

Wait he isn't already on there? I thought he was. Wow that seems rather odd considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Wait he isn't already on there? I thought he was. Wow that seems rather odd considering.
    No, he is not yet on it. As of now, it is Vinatieri and Bethea on the south side of the building facing 1-70. On the north side main entrance facing the downtown skyline, it is Wayne and Mathis. These are the four players who are left from the 2006 championship season, which likely isn't a coincidence. The organization seems to make players "earn" getting their poster on the stadium. Luck has been the face of the franchise for two years, but the organization decided to put older vets on the posters instead. It's time to put Luck up there now and take Bethea down (will always appreciate his services). Luck is now transitioning into a veteran and he's carried the team for two years.

Crazy to think that Luck will already be in year 3, isn't it? Seems like just yesterday that we were going into his rookie year.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Luck probably requested not to be plastered up there, as low-key as he is.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

That's a possibility but that doesn't explain his likeness being shown elsewhere away from LOS then I found this and it might have some validity

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-opportunities

Instead, it's about how much Luck can make with marketing deals. As Pasquarelli writes, “One of the stumbling blocks in negotiations between Indianapolis and the top overall choice in the draft ... is the proposed inclusion of marketing language that Luck and his representatives, at least so far, regard as strident. One source with knowledge of the talks even suggested that Luck would ‘have to clear' marketing proposals with the club.”

Peyton Manning, also a No. 1 draft pick for the Colts who went on to become a huge poster-boy for a massive amount of different products, apparently didn't have that kind of clause in his rookie contract.

So, if all this is true, it seems unfair for Indianapolis to try to limit Luck's potential to make money on the side, especially with the rookie cap in its second year. At the same time, some in the Colts organization (according to Pasquarelli) believe that Manning was overexposed, which could be why the franchise is trying to exert some control over this matter.

All of this just makes the Colts look stingy and, well, controlling over the man who's supposed to be the next savior of Indianapolis.

UPDATED (9:41 a.m. ET; June 23): Here is Irsay's response to Pasquarelli's report.

As much as I respect my friend Lenny Pasquarelli;the"One Source"is completely wrong/We're close on #12 n final details unrelated 2 marketing
    Last edited by Basketball Fan; 03-06-2014 at 07:15 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    That made my day. Thank goodness. We need a good center, someone who we can pair with Luck for a long time
    Roy Hibbert
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Tampa's new uniforms except the numbers, and I can't stand the Colts. I think Tampa's will look better in person.

We re-signed McAfee

5 yr deal

14 mil, 5 guar
    Last edited by Suaveness; 03-07-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm happy about it. There's not many punters better than Pat. And from someone that's met him, he's a really cool guy. And he's great for the community.

Mood

That puts Pat's salary at 1.8 mil per year, and the guarantee at 1 mil per. 2.8 cap number for each of the next 5 years seems like a lot. Unless they are gonna bite the bullet and put his guarantee on the first season so his cap number THIS year is 6.8 million. They might actually do that so they can have more flexibility when it's time to pay Andrew.

Bill Barnwell's take on the Colts' (and the other 31 teams) free agency blueprint:

http://grantland.com/features/the-10...e-free-agency/

Indianapolis Colts

Estimated Cap Space: $42,501,028
    Likely Cuts: none
    Should Re-sign: S Antoine Bethea, RB Donald Brown, CB Vontae Davis, K Adam Vinatieri

Ah, our old friends in Indianapolis. They’ve already been active; they re-signed punter Pat McAfee this morning, added D’Qwell Jackson after his release from the Browns earlier this week, and no more than 60 seconds after I typed Samson Satele’s name as a likely cut, the news came across the wire (well, Twitter) that the Colts were actually doing so. Given their record, lack of draft picks, and large amounts of cap space, they’re expected to be among free agency’s biggest spenders for the second consecutive season.

I’ve compared the Colts with Andrew Luck to the Cavaliers with LeBron James a few times, and that still holds. LeBron was so valuable that the Cavs could bring in spare parts like Mo Williams, Boobie Gibson, and late-period Shaquille O’Neal and still make serious playoff runs, just because James was capable of carrying the team that far on his own. Their success didn’t make those acquisitions good moves, and when James left, the team fell apart.5 Likewise, Indy gave a lot of middling players serious money last year in a depressed market, and because it had Luck in a collapsing division, it didn’t matter.

The Colts will probably make similar sorts of moves this offseason, paying a premium for replacement-level talent, with the only good news being that rest of the league will likely join them this time around. Rumors are linking them to Eric Decker, and while Decker would undoubtedly produce big numbers with Luck at the helm, there are better ways for Indianapolis to spend its money.6 Just for a moment, though, let’s imagine what a dream Colts offseason might look like:

Ideal Free-Agent Blueprint: WR Julian Edelman, OL Evan Dietrich-Smith, DL Arthur Jones, DL Red Bryant, LB Michael Johnson, CB Aqib Talib

Oh, the Patriots want to blow you out in the playoffs? You’ll show them. The Colts need top-line talent, and here, they get a bunch of it. Edelman is the slot receiver who represents a perfect contrast with the deep speed of T.Y. Hilton and the tough possession-based approach of Reggie Wayne. Talib and Davis would be an upper-echelon pair of starting cornerbacks, and with the path to the Super Bowl running through Indy, the Colts would be deep at corner with Greg Toler and Darius Butler in part-time roles. Jones and Bryant would be massive upgrades on the defensive line, where Indy is stuck playing veterans like Cory “Burr” Redding and various cast-offs. And while Johnson isn’t a dominant pass-rusher, he’s a freak athlete who can make teams pay if they focus too closely on Robert Mathis, and his presence would allow 2013 first-rounder Bjoern Werner more time to develop. If the Colts really want to win now, that would be a truly transformative offseason.

For someone who won executive of the year two seasons ago, I'm not terribly confident in Ryan Grigson.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    Bill Barnwell's take on the Colts' (and the other 31 teams) free agency blueprint:

http://grantland.com/features/the-10...e-free-agency/
    Sorry but I am not listening to anyone who thinks we should sign back Bethea, they obviously have no idea why we had many of the problems in our secondary. I have really wanted him gone for sometime now, but oh well we will see what happens.
    Why so SERIOUS

There really isn't a better option than Bethea right now. I'm not a fan of him either anymore but we may have to bite the bullet and keep him around a couple more years until we get a better player.

Vinatieri's a FA too, that's a curious one to watch. I'd welcome him back but tying up 6 mil or so in cap hits on kickers doesn't seem too smart.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Didn't I once read that McAfee practices field goals could he eventually be more than an insurance policy?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Vinatieri's a FA too, that's a curious one to watch. I'd welcome him back but tying up 6 mil or so in cap hits on kickers doesn't seem too smart.
    Yeah, I don't want to overpay, but I was really hoping that he'd finish his career here. He was on the Pats for 10 years and has now played 8 with the Colts. I was really hoping that his tenure here would match the length of that in NE when all is said and done. He'll obviously be most remembered as a Pat when he retires because of the multiple Super Bowls, but he's been pretty big for the Colts too. No one will ever forget those kicks in the Baltimore playoff game in the championship season.

I want Eugene Monroe but thats not very likely, If we cant resign Vontae I would like Verner, if we can somehow get Jarius Byrd I would be estatic but also doubt that it will happen and I would rather have James Jones over Decker

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...cassel-2-years

Matt Cassel, Vikings reach new deal

Source: Vikings To Re-Sign Matt Cassel

Ben Goessling discusses the reports that the Vikings will re-sign Matt Cassel to a two-year deal.

NFL Teams Getting Ready For Free Agency
    Quarterback Matt Cassel will return to Minnesota next season, signing a two-year deal with the Vikings on Friday, a league source confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

More From ESPN.com
    GoesslingWith Matt Cassel re-signed, the Vikings have their QB bridge, allowing them to be more selective in their search for a QB of the future, writes Ben Goessling. Blog

The deal is worth $10 million, according to CBSSports.com.

Originally signed by the Vikings to back up Christian Ponder last March, Cassel took over the Vikings' starting job in September, filling in for an injured Ponder in a win against the Pittsburgh Steelers in London.

He went on to start six games for the Vikings, emerging from their quarterback carousel as the starter at the end of the season once Ponder and Josh Freeman had fizzled. Cassel threw for 1,807 yards with 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions in nine games total. He passed for 382 yards in a Dec. 15 win against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Matt Cassel
    AP Photo/Jim Mone
    Matt Cassel led the Vikings in passing yards last season despite starting three less games than Christian Ponder.
    Cassel had signed a two-year contract with the Vikings, but it included a clause that let him void his 2014 deal within five days of the Super Bowl. Cassel opted out of his contract on Feb. 7, though the Vikings had stayed in contact with his agent and maintained they wanted to bring the 31-year-old quarterback back on a new deal.

Cassel wound up leading the Vikings in passing yards and touchdowns, despite starting three fewer games than Ponder and losing his job for nearly two months in a bizarre season that saw Minnesota use three different starters in as many weeks in October.

Cassel's new deal with the Vikings was earlier reported by NFL Network.