Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually think nothing will happen to Beadle although she's a complete hypocrite considering she was laughing at Jay Z over the whole elevator incident with his sister in law.

While I think SAS should've probably not said anything there is a hypocrisy here. I mean a lot of people were saying what did Jay Z say/do to get her so upset. Even though that video showed her trying to attack him.

The roles reversed? We'd talk about what an abusive jerk Jay Z is and that Beyonce should leave him over it.

Through all of this Ray Rice's wife stayed with him you could say she's the battered wife but nobody ever asks why isn't she leaving him over this? I mean she had an out not to mention a kid here. One would think she would do what it takes to not end up like Jevon Belcher's GF did.
    His wife not leaving him really has nothing to do with what he did. the comparison to the Jay Z incident is apples and oranges as well. If there had been someone to get between the two of them to keep him from knocking her out then the whole thing never materializes. Nothing she said should have resulted in him hitting her, for that is just self control. Even if she attacked him he probably could have handled it without laying her out. To put any blame on her for his actions is wrong, and even if they did kiss and make up, are going to counseling, and end up having a long happy marriage, the league should have still set the bar higher for things like this.

The NBA is finally climbing out of the image of it being full of "thugs" and "hoods" and the NFL would be wise to crack down hard on any activity which paints them in a bad light.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Training camp related but Peyton though....

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nf...cing/13271693/

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    His wife not leaving him really has nothing to do with what he did. the comparison to the Jay Z incident is apples and oranges as well. If there had been someone to get between the two of them to keep him from knocking her out then the whole thing never materializes. Nothing she said should have resulted in him hitting her, for that is just self control. Even if she attacked him he probably could have handled it without laying her out. To put any blame on her for his actions is wrong, and even if they did kiss and make up, are going to counseling, and end up having a long happy marriage, the league should have still set the bar higher for things like this.

The NBA is finally climbing out of the image of it being full of "thugs" and "hoods" and the NFL would be wise to crack down hard on any activity which paints them in a bad light.

Actually it has everything to do with this I don't think he would've gotten just 2 games had she left him and taken the kid with her. Especially since we have a video of the incident. Had she left him and taken the kid there would be a lot more bad press and Goodell would've give him a longer suspension. I mean Ben Roethlisberger got 4 games over being accused of rape and he wasn't even charged for it. He had way more bad press over it than Ray Rice did with his incident. And no I don't think her staying with him means I think she deserves to be abused but I don't think this is the first time something violent has happened between them. A man won't stop abusing you until you die or leave him.

My point in bringing up Jay Z is that Beadle was ragging on him for letting Solange hit him but had he hit her back we'd be talking about how abusive he is.

Men shouldn't hit women and women shouldn't hit men its such a simple concept that nobody seems to grasp apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Training camp related but Peyton though....

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nf...cing/13271693/
    I feel he and Mark Madsen should have a dance off

His kids visited the other day finally we see the other twin I was starting to think she wasn't real

Ewwww although how could she not know?!

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/...itted-disease/

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – New Pittsburgh Steelers defensive lineman Cam Thomas is being sued by a San Diego woman for allegedly giving her herpes.
    TMZ Sports first reported the story.
    In the lawsuit, the woman named “Adrienne” claims Thomas not only gave her herpes, but also hid it from her multiple times, saying that a zipper malfunction caused the sores.
    Thomas is a nose tackle who played for the San Diego Chargers last year.
    TMZ says Adrienne is also claiming Thomas was physically abusive to her during their relationship.
    There has been no comment from Thomas or his lawyers.

Sores, plural? Ain't nobody zipping their **** up more than once.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ewwww although how could she not know?!

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/...itted-disease/
    Geeze. Good luck with that holding up in court. This lady is going to be embarrassed and not receive a nickel.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Through all of this Ray Rice's wife stayed with him you could say she's the battered wife but nobody ever asks why isn't she leaving him over this? I mean she had an out not to mention a kid here. One would think she would do what it takes to not end up like Jevon Belcher's GF did.
    I don't think you understand what battered wife syndrome is...

having an out and being psychologically impaired from seeing it are two different things.

Men shouldn't hit women and women shouldn't hit men its such a simple concept that nobody seems to grasp apparently.
    When you're a muscle-bound NFL running back you don't get to hit your wife. There's a reason why pro boxers don't legally get to fight back like the rest of us do in altercations, because their fists are registered as deadly weapons. When you're that dangerous you're held to a higher standard of self-control because you're capable of more damage. Unless Rice's life was in danger he had no right to strike his wife. None. The fact she was out cold and being dragged out of the elevator is pretty hard evidence of how defenseless she was.

Yeah its unfair that she can theoretically smack him and not get in trouble for it. It's also unfair that one smack from her husband in retaliation could break her neck.
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-29-2014 at 06:07 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone go to Colts training camp?

Seems like a desperate attempt to buy public goodwill after his legal troubles, IMHO.

I don't think Irsay needs to buy goodwill in Indianapolis.

Jason Kidd actually plead guilty to domestic abuse against his wife in January 2001, i.e. unlike Ray Rice, he is actually guilty as far as a court of law is concerned. He was never suspended, was he? Was everyone ripping David Stern for not being against domestic violence since Kidd got off so easily?

When did the burden fall on the NFL to be the justice arbiter of the land? The Redskins name issue, Dungy being accused of being a homophobe even though all 32 teams passed on Michael Sam at least 6 times, floating the idea of penalizing use of the N-word during games, self righteous Bob Costas gun and Redskins rants during NBC SNF, ripping Goodell for not taking a firm enough stance against domestic violence even though he did suspend Rice while other leagues have done NOTHING in the past.

I miss when NFL stories were actually about football. People need to look to their own lives for role models instead of expecting a professional sports league to be the chief moral and social justice enforcer of the land.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-29-2014 at 12:43 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Seems like a desperate attempt to buy public goodwill after his legal troubles, IMHO.
    He's done it before, I really don't see it as a desperate attempt to salvage some goodwill. The best thing he can possibly do for his image is to not tweet anything about Peyton Manning before week 1 lol.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Believe_in_blue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I don't think you understand what battered wife syndrome is...

having an out and being psychologically impaired from seeing it are two different things.

When you're a muscle-bound NFL running back you don't get to hit your wife. There's a reason why pro boxers don't legally get to fight back like the rest of us do in altercations, because their fists are registered as deadly weapons. When you're that dangerous you're held to a higher standard of self-control because you're capable of more damage. Unless Rice's life was in danger he had no right to strike his wife. None. The fact she was out cold and being dragged out of the elevator is pretty hard evidence of how defenseless she was.

Yeah its unfair that she can theoretically smack him and not get in trouble for it. It's also unfair that one smack from her husband in retaliation could break her neck.

I think if you hit someone be prepared to be hit back fair or not. You don't know what some people may be capable of but my issue with this is that she still stayed with the man she also has a child with him its one thing to stay if its her but she has a kid one would think she would have family members that would intervene and not want a kid in the middle of this.

She stayed with him, married the guy and was defending him to Goodell here that is a factor in all of this. Had she left him and taken the kid with her he would've gotten a longer suspension. Now maybe she did this out of fear but its also possible she gets off on violence as much as he does. Its not the PC thing to say but there are relationships that are like that. This wasn't the first instance between them just one that's public.

Jason Kidd actually plead guilty to domestic abuse against his wife in January 2001, i.e. unlike Ray Rice, he is actually guilty as far as a court of law is concerned. He was never suspended, was he? Was everyone ripping David Stern for not being against domestic violence since Kidd got off so easily?

When did the burden fall on the NFL to be the justice arbiter of the land? The Redskins name issue, Dungy being accused of being a homophobe even though all 32 teams passed on Michael Sam at least 6 times, floating the idea of penalizing use of the N-word during games, self righteous Bob Costas gun and Redskins rants during NBC SNF, ripping Goodell for not taking a firm enough stance against domestic violence even though he did suspend Rice while other leagues have done NOTHING in the past.

I miss when NFL stories were actually about football. People need to look to their own lives for role models instead of expecting a professional sports league to be the chief moral and social justice enforcer of the land.

Stern never had an NBA conduct policy, Goodell does and that's why Ray Rice doing this is an issue even though this has been going on since the advent of time for a lot of people this time its just public. I think a better comparison is Paul Tagliabue the last NFL Commish who never even pretended to care I'll give him that it was just football nothing else.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think if you hit someone be prepared to be hit back fair or not.
    Said every wife-beater ever.

Now maybe she did this out of fear but its also possible she gets off on violence as much as he does. Its not the PC thing to say but there are relationships that are like that.
    Most hilarious defense of beating a woman I've ever read.

Maybe Ray didn't even hit her and she punched herself unconscious, too? I'm sure there are women that get off on that as well....
    Last edited by Kstat; 07-29-2014 at 03:15 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

When did the burden fall on the NFL to be the justice arbiter of the land?
    Ever since Roger Goodell came into office and appointed himself chief justice of NFL morality, then got it incorporated into the CBA somehow. Not sure why the players union allowed that...

Before then, only failing drug tests got you suspended, in any league. DUI? Wife beater? No problem, as long as you are not physically in jail at gametime.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Said every wife-beater ever.

Most hilarious defense of beating a woman I've ever read.

Maybe Ray didn't even hit her and she punched herself unconscious, too? I'm sure there are women that get off on that as well....

I must've missed the part where I defended him. If you hit someone be prepared for the possibility of someone hitting you back that's common sense I don't care who you are.

Maybe you need to realize that there are women who actually want to be with a man that abuses them they get off on that just like there are men that get off on finding women who have low self esteem.

Never said that was normal because it isn't we aren't talking about a normal relationship here.

She stayed with him, married the guy and was defending him to Goodell .........
    And just what is the marriage based upon ??

$$$$$$$$ - that's what. I'll put the over/under on it at lasting 14 months. Where's your $$$$ going ??

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    And just what is the marriage based upon ??

$$$$$$$$ - that's what. I'll put the over/under on it at lasting 14 months. Where's your $$$$ going ??
    Wouldn't surprise me and while I think Ray Rice is a d-bag she still stayed with the guy despite having an out when this went public. Who knows she may love the guy (as incredibly dysfunctional as it is). Actions have consequences I just hope for her sake it doesn't end like it did for Jevon Belcher's GF.

I must've missed the part where I defended him. If you hit someone be prepared for the possibility of someone hitting you back that's common sense I don't care who you are.
    I'll remember that the next time my 8 year old cousin with autism has a breakdown and hits me in the face. When the cops come I'll just see he hit me and should have expected it!

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I'll remember that the next time my 8 year old cousin with autism has a breakdown and hits me in the face. When the cops come I'll just see he hit me and should have expected it!

Yeah I don't get that comparison especially since your cousin has an illness here and you know what that entails I was talking about in regards to an argument.

If I hit someone for no reason or out of anger I should prepare for the possibility of being hit back doesn't mean that they were justified in doing so but its a possibility.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...sser/#comments

Urban Meyer doesn’t get why the NFL doesn’t want a 47.9% passer

Tim Tebow remains out of the NFL, as he has for 11 months since the Patriots cut him at the end of last preseason. And Tebow’s coach at Florida, Urban Meyer, remains baffled that no NFL team will sign Tebow.

Meyer, now the coach at Ohio State, said at Big Ten Media Day that he can’t figure out why Tebow isn’t in a training camp.

“I still don’t get that part of it,” Meyer said. “He’s the second-most efficient passer ever to play college football. . . . He’ll be successful in whatever he does, but he’s such a good player. I just wish it would work out for him.”

Since Meyer can’t figure it out, let me explain it to him: Tebow can’t get an NFL job because the essence of playing quarterback in the NFL is throwing a football accurately, and Tebow is not an accurate passer. Tebow has a career completion rate of 47.9 percent. That is, frankly, awful. Name a terrible NFL quarterback, and you can just about guarantee that he has a better career completion percentage than Tebow. Brandon Weeden? 55.9 percent. Blaine Gabbert? 53.3 percent. JaMarcus Russell? 52.1 percent.

It’s easy to see why Meyer loves Tebow, given the success the two had together at Florida. And in a world where Weeden and Gabbert still have jobs, it’s not unfair to ask why Tebow can’t get one. Tebow did, after all, provide the Broncos with a spark in 2011, leading them to a playoff victory. But even in that 2011 season, Tebow’s inaccurate passing was a huge problem. Tebow completed just 126 of 271 passes that season, a completion rate of 46.5 percent. Tebow remains the only NFL quarterback this century to throw more than 270 passes in a season while completing less than 47 percent of them. The last time an NFL quarterback threw that many passes with a completion percentage that low, it was San Diego’s Craig Whelihan in 1998. Whelihan never played in the NFL again.

And Tebow will never play in the NFL again. He will be remembered for that crazy season in Denver in 2011, when it seemed like every week the most exciting game in the NFL was a game featuring the Broncos, a game that came down to Tebow doing something in the closing moments. But Tebow will also be remembered as a quarterback who simply did not pass the ball well enough to last in the NFL.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Would love to see Peyton on Dancing With The Stars just for the comedic value

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    People with Autism=Women? Got it.
    "What people think of as the moment of discovery is really the discovery of the question." -Jonas Silk

31. The Following User Says Thank You to perryb85 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Would love to see Peyton on Dancing With The Stars just for the comedic value
    I hope not only because I don't want a reason to actually watch the show.