Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Wowzers!!! Some impressive stat that. 5.6 y/c is just an excellent achievement however you look at it.

Ray Rice only got suspended for 2 games. What an absolute joke.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

4 games for trying to procreate with your wife, 2 games for beating your finance's *** into unconsciousness. Gotta love the NFL.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ray Rice only got suspended for 2 games. What an absolute joke.
    Fail two drug tests for pot and you get four games. Beat the crap out of your fiance and you only get two games. What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    4 games for trying to procreate with your wife, 2 games for beating your finance's *** into unconsciousness. Gotta love the NFL.
    While I think Ray Rice being suspended for 2 games is a joke as well, Mathis knew the rules here when he took a banned substance here... and I don't buy he did that to procreate with his wife since he had twins with her a couple years back.

Rough couple of days for the Broncos

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ath-in-family/

Demaryius Thomas to miss start of Broncos camp after death in family

The Broncos will not have wide receiver Demaryius Thomas on the field when they start training camp on Thursday, but there are no injury concerns or contract squabbles for the team to worry about.

Thomas has been excused from Broncos camp until Monday so that he can return to Georgia to attend funeral services for his grandmother. Thomas was at the team’s facility for meetings and a physical on Wednesday, but coach John Fox said Thursday, via ESPN.com, that Thomas “is where he needs to be” and that the team’s prayers are with him.

Thomas is coming off a pair of excellent seasons catching passes from Peyton Manning and has caught 240 passes for 3,698 yards over four years with the Broncos. That’s put him in line for a big new contract with his current deal expiring after this season and the two sides have been talking about an extension. The missed time this week shouldn’t have any impact on either Thomas’ play or the contract talks.

PFT offers our condolences to Thomas and his family on their loss.

Hell, Brazill's career in the NFL is probably ruined for smoking pot, while no one will remember Rice beating his fiance into unconsciousness in two years. Brazill was stupid and showed bad judgment, but that doesn't change the fact that the rule is stupid and some guy who committed a victimless crime is suspended for a season while someone who threatened a much weaker person's life will be back in Week 3.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Terrelle Pryor got a 5 game suspension for breaking NCAA rules. This league is a joke.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

The NFL is lucky their sport is so popular, because the league is run by buffoons.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

It is but I'm not surprised I mean this happened off the field the other things people here are describing involved the NFL product itself(banned substances) although the Terrelle Pryor thing was garbage since that had to do with is college career not NFL.

Also what worked in Rice's favor she still married the guy had she left him or pressed charges he might've gotten more games.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    While I think Ray Rice being suspended for 2 games is a joke as well, Mathis knew the rules here when he took a banned substance here... and I don't buy he did that to procreate with his wife since he had twins with her a couple years back.
    Maybe I need to re-post those 7-8 examples I found where the NFL didn't suspend players after they failed drug tests due to extenuating circumstances? The NFL cares more about fathers trying to procreate than they do domestic violence. It's pretty cut and dry.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe I need to re-post those 7-8 examples I found where the NFL didn't suspend players after they failed drug tests due to extenuating circumstances? The NFL cares more about fathers trying to procreate than they do domestic violence. It's pretty cut and dry.
    I don't think that Mathis suspension is completely without merit, I mean it IS a banned substance no matter the condition.

I do think it's ******** that rice got away with barely a scrape. Beating a woman is the second most cowardly and dishonorable thing I can think of just short of beating a child.

I wouldnt even allow that disgusting human being back into the league at all.
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

17. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heck Big Ben has more to complain about than any of the drug offenders. His incident did not even make it to court did it?

Greg Hardy hasn't been suspended yet even though he was CONVICTED of domestic abuse. This league peddles their pink gear for a whole month and then allows violence against women. It's disgusting. The NFL's morals are so out of whack.

Sports Logo

maybe there's a silver lining and this whole things ends up getting Stephen A. Smith fired

http://deadspin.com/first-take-discu...d-b-1610831462

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    I don't think that Mathis suspension is completely without merit, I mean it IS a banned substance no matter the condition.

I do think it's ******** that rice got away with barely a scrape. Beating a woman is the second most cowardly and dishonorable thing I can think of just short of beating a child.

I wouldnt even allow that disgusting human being back into the league at all.
    That's the problem. I'm really not trying to argue about Mathis, more about how unbelieveable insulting a 2 game suspension for domestic violence is. The NFL is sending the message that steroid usage is twice as bad as beating up women.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Heck Big Ben has more to complain about than any of the drug offenders. His incident did not even make it to court did it?
    Nope never got arrested either. He got 4 games but I think it was mostly due to the bad press of it all/her filing a lawsuit.

Which I think people here are overlooking I mean really lets face it Ray Rice isn't the only dude that hits women in the NFL sorry to say so while 2 games is a joke people would've said the same about 4, or 6 etc. However his case was highly publicized because it was on tape and featured by TMZ.

Which is why any of us are talking about it now.

Putting that aside this woman still stayed with him and they got married. Had she left him or pressed charges he would've gotten a tougher punishment. That's a factor here as well.

Marshawn Lynch is holding out I thought I posted that guess not.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-for-a-reason/

Pete Carroll on Marshawn Lynch: It’s called a contract for a reason

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch is unhappy with his contract and expressing that displeasure by staying away from training camp, an approach that General Manager John Schneider says that the team isn’t planning to give him another one with two years to go on the current pact.

Coach Pete Carroll echoed Schneider’s comments on Friday, saying that the deal they gave Lynch in 2012 was part of the organization’s long-term plan to build a winning team and that they expect Lynch to hold up his end of that contract.

“It’s a contract for a reason. We made a decision and it was signed, by us and by them,” Carroll said, via USA Today. “We expect them to honor their contract just as we will. We’re going to honor it and we expect them to do the same.”

Red Bryant, Chris Clemons and other players released by the Seahawks with time and money left on their contract would probably be interested to know that the Seahawks’ policy is to honor every contract until the moment it expires, especially since they were doing Lynch one better and showing up for work before they were cut loose. USC might feel the same way about Carroll leaving the school for the Seahawks while still under contract.

Carroll’s skewed view of the way contracts work is beside the point when it comes to the Lynch situation, though. Right now, the Seahawks have made it clear that they’ll move on with Robert Turbin and Christine Michael before giving Lynch any more money and Lynch has made it clear he won’t show up until he gets more money. Someone is going to have to change their mind if Beast Mode is going to run again this season.

Pete Carroll has been in the NFL far too long to make that stupid a comment. Holdouts are the player's version of un-guaranteed contracts. If you underperform your deal you get released and your contract gets ripped up. If you out-perform it, you hold out until they rip it up and give you a better one. Can't have it both ways, Pete.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Anyone go to Colts training camp?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Comparing Rice to the drug suspensions are apples and oranges because the drug suspensions are collectively bargained issues in which there is a by-the-book number of games agreed to by both sides. With Rice OTOH, the decision laid completely on the shoulders of Goodell and his henchmen. It is certainly odd that Big Ben got suspended 6 games back in 2010 while Rice only got 2 games here. There is often little rhyme or reason to what Goondell does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Pete Carroll has been in the NFL far too long to make that stupid a comment. Holdouts are the player's version of un-guaranteed contracts. If you underperform your deal you get released and your contract gets ripped up. If you out-perform it, you hold out until they rip it up and give you a better one. Can't have it both ways, Pete.

But Lynch isn't outperforming his contract. Lynch signed his current contract after the 2011 season (1204 yds, 12 touchdowns, 4.2 YPC). In 2013, Lynch went for 1257 yards, 12 touchdowns, and 4.2 YPC. In other words, he put up virtually the same numbers last year as he did in the season before he signed his current deal. The Seahawks gave him a contract that both parties felt was fair based on his elite production. It's not as if Lynch signed his current contract when he was some no name second string back and then exploded into an elite running back while making pennies. If that were the case, then Lynch would have a legit gripe. Lynch's issue is that he obviously understands that he's at the tail end of his prime as an NFL running back, so he wants to cash in right now while he's still great. The Seahawks understand this too, so we'll see who blinks first. Apparently the Seahawks are very comfortable with the guys they have behind Lynch. The Seahawks aren't going to break the bank for an old Marshawn Lynch when they are going to be steamrolled by the contracts of the likes of Wilson and Sherman in the future. There is only so much to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    maybe there's a silver lining and this whole things ends up getting Stephen A. Smith fired

http://deadspin.com/first-take-discu...d-b-1610831462
    Ah the it is your fault you made me mad and I punched you argument. Was wondering when we would get that. Now hopefully this will mean the end of that moron. Beadle was not to nice with her response to what Smith said. Watch Beadle get get punished and nothing done to Smith.

Listened to Mike and Mike's interview with Adolpho Birch and the NFL thinks it is fine because they are the only one handing out a punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    Ah the it is your fault you made me mad and I punched you argument. Was wondering when we would get that. Now hopefully this will mean the end of that moron. Beadle was not to nice with her response to what Smith said. Watch Beadle get get punished and nothing done to Smith.

Listened to Mike and Mike's interview with Adolpho Birch and the NFL thinks it is fine because they are the only one handing out a punishment.
    I actually think nothing will happen to Beadle although she's a complete hypocrite considering she was laughing at Jay Z over the whole elevator incident with his sister in law.

While I think SAS should've probably not said anything there is a hypocrisy here. I mean a lot of people were saying what did Jay Z say/do to get her so upset. Even though that video showed her trying to attack him.

The roles reversed? We'd talk about what an abusive jerk Jay Z is and that Beyonce should leave him over it.

Through all of this Ray Rice's wife stayed with him you could say she's the battered wife but nobody ever asks why isn't she leaving him over this? I mean she had an out not to mention a kid here. One would think she would do what it takes to not end up like Jevon Belcher's GF did.