Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Comments had been made about being able to structure a contract that would make it impossible for them to match. I wonder though, would they have to give up draft picks for him besides the financial hit?
    My interpretation of that was that a contract could be structured in a way that Cleveland doesn't *want* to match. And to do so, I'm guessing that it's a very lucrative contract, in which case, do we even want to take on such a contract?

I personally think this is just Mack's agent trying to jack the price up on him. Get some other team to throw a poison pill contract at him, and get them to eat it. I basically expect Mack will be back in Cleveland.

But... it is Cleveland... they've been known to make eye-brow raising roster moves.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    My interpretation of that was that a contract could be structured in a way that Cleveland doesn't *want* to match. And to do so, I'm guessing that it's a very lucrative contract, in which case, do we even want to take on such a contract?

I personally think this is just Mack's agent trying to jack the price up on him. Get some other team to throw a poison pill contract at him, and get them to eat it. I basically expect Mack will be back in Cleveland.

But... it is Cleveland... they've been known to make eye-brow raising roster moves.
    Poison Pills have been disallowed since 2011, so that's not an option. The main point is that paying 10 million plus for a center is almost counter productive for any team long term regardless of his talent. Mack would be smart to sign that tag as soon as possible...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Which is essentially what I'm saying.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So ya, no Mack:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...espnapi_public

The Colts are likely done making anymore major free agency moves, as Grigson said they signed everybody they went after.

What Grigson is saying publicly about center. Sounds like he still likes Holmes.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    What Grigson is saying publicly about center. Sounds like he still likes Holmes.

Ofcourse you can find a quality guy, but how long will it take, and how many hits will Luck have to take while you find one?
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And how many run lanes must disappear.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

And how many run lanes must disappear.
    For something to disappear means it actually has to exist in the first place. Can't say I found too many of those last year...
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

Still holding out on the slight hope that the Browns rescind the tag on him...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually liked what I saw out of Holmes and figured even if we got Mack, he would challenge For either guard spot.

It's tough to miss training camp your rookie year and even get a sniff at some PT. But he actually got some, and that tells me he must of looked great in practice.

I am more than willing to give him a chance at center if that's what the coaching staff thinks is best.

Now you got Costa as a swing man inside in case Thomas ain't ready, or if Thornton stinks it up.

I think our line is kind of an enigma, I could see them surprising everyone and being a real strength next year, or I could see them just being ok. But I doubt they won't be much improved over last year.

It usually takes rookie lineman on both sides a year in the weight room to get their playing strength on par with NFL vets. Those guys are monsters and if you ain't had one of them take ahold of you, you have no idea what you're getting into.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Shipley was indeed solid, and obviously better than Satele. Then Grigson traded him for a conditional 7th rounder.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Shipley was indeed solid, and obviously better than Satele. Then Grigson traded him for a conditional 7th rounder.
    That was one move I *never* understood.

That trade really pissed me off, not going to lie
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Stephen Holder had breakfast with Chuck Pagano in Orlando.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

What the hell is going on with Holmes. How can you be high on him and not play him last year. Tell us the truth

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    That is just dumb. It is a fun little celebration that hurts nobody nor taunts anybody. Sometimes the NFL just takes itself way to serious and forgets it is supposed to be fun and entertaining.

Given how putrid Satele played last season and how they are just drooling over Holmes I just have to scratch my head and think about why did not get much PT. I imagine some of it is just to talk up Holmes and get him ready this season.

Going with Holmes as your guy is a gamble that could really backfire in Grigs's face if Holmes is no better than Satele.

It was a fun celebration...until he bent the goal posts. The writing was on the wall then

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Louis

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    It was a fun celebration...until he bent the goal posts. The writing was on the wall then
    Then he wanted to be paid like a dunking wide receiver, and that's when the **** got real...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-with-titans/

Shaun Phillips strikes two-year deal with Titans

A busy free agency afternoon for late March continues.

The Titans have struck a two-year, $6 million agreement with Broncos defensive end/outside linebacker Shaun Phillips, Mike Garafolo of Fox reports.

Phillips (6-3, 255) notched 10 sacks for Denver in 2013. He will likely play outside linebacker in Ray Horton’s defense, which employs a base 3-4 front.

Phillips has recorded 508 tackles and 79.5 sacks in 10 NFL campaigns. He played for San Diego for nine seasons (2004-2012) before joining Denver last April. Phillips turns 33 in May.

Phillips’ agreement with the Titans leaves no unsigned or untagged members among PFT’s top 50 free agents. Cowboys outside linebacker Anthony Spencer (No. 65) is the top unsigned player in PFT’s rankings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...owshon-moreno/

Dolphins land Knowshon Moreno

The Dolphins are adding one of the top backs left in free agency.

The club has come to terms on a one-year deal with Denver’s Knowshon Moreno, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Thursday.

Moreno led the AFC-champion Broncos in rushing in 2013, racking up 1,038 yards and 10 touchdowns on 241 carries. He was also a key contributor in the passing game, hauling in 60 receptions for 548 yards and three TDs.

Moreno is likely to compete with third-year pro Lamar Miller for work in the Miami backfield.

Moreno, who turns 27 in June, was No. 76 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100.