Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Default Re: 2014 NFL offseason thread

I guess it could go up to 5.5 with incentives
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd be surprised if Holmes starts over Costa.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be surprised if Holmes starts over Costa.
    neither of them will start.

Let's wait and see what happens with Mack first.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd say Mack is out of the question.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I'd say Mack is out of the question.
    I dont think so.

Mack isn't going to happen. It'll be difficult to come up with a contract that the Browns wouldn't match. Plus not sure I want us overpaying for a center with Castanzo's contract coming up
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Mack isn't going to happen. It'll be difficult to come up with a contract that the Browns wouldn't match. Plus not sure I want us overpaying for a center with Castanzo's contract coming up
    Im going to be slightly dissapointed with grigs if the plan is to just roll with Holmes and Costa and hope for the best.

Love the Nicks signing. Great insurance if Reggie doesn't come back to his old self. If he does come back to his old self, then wow we are loaded. Can't wait to see Allen back too. With Luck entering his third year with two awesome years under his belt, this offense could be primed to unload. I pray to God that Pep understands how to use this talent.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I think people are underestimating Wayne. I know he's 35 but I guarantee you there isn't a 35 year old in the league who's in better shape than Wayne. He is a workout warrior and will come back in great shape

I think people are underestimating Wayne. I know he's 35 but I guarantee you there isn't a 35 year old in the league who's in better shape than Wayne. He is a workout warrior and will come back in great shape
    I hope so. He's my favorite non-QB Colt ever. I could see him having a decent bounce back season next year since so much of his game was built around being a savvy vet. That being said, he's in his twilight anyway you slice it. I just have haunting memories of Harrison's career being completely ruined by one injury. I know that it was a different injury to a different player, but still. Knee injuries to 35 year old receivers are pretty frightening. Harrison was the best receiver in the NFL in 2006, but after the 07 knee injury he was a complete shell of his old self.

I would be surprised if there are any more really significant signings. Vontae only counts this year for 6.5M against the cap so his cap numbers become significant next year and beyond. Too many guys have to be resigned in the near future.
    The colts have had some damn good FA signings.
    Last edited by speakout4; 03-14-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree, I really like this FA crop. It felt like most were smart contracts, too.

One thing that feels different... is Luck. Even during the Peyton years, you never really had FAs make comments that Indy was one of their ideal destinations. I don't know why that was, maybe Manning had a bit of a rep as a hard-***. Big FA receivers were never brought in. It was always those system receivers who weren't huge or super athletic, they just were smart and ran tight routes, and had decent hands.

It felt like this time, there were a handful of FAs who openly stated that they'd like to come to Indy, and specifically named Luck as the reason. I know Mack mentioned it... Nicks mentioned Colts/Luck.

I think there's a lot of dudes in the NFL who want to be on that man's team.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-14-2014 at 10:43 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Now Grigson needs to do a good job with his draft picks this year. We don't have a lot of them and the ones from last year were pretty subpar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No under-estimation here, I expect Wayne to come back and be a big factor this year. He's almost Kobe-like in his routine and conditioning and competiveness, and he's still got a lot left in the tank.

You look at all the guys who are returning from injury... D Thomas, Allen, Wayne.... in addition to our new guys. I'm actually pretty damn excited about our offense this year.

Hopefully this O-line gets on its feet, and we can see what TRich can really do. You throw in a receiving corp of Wayne, Nicks, Hilton, Brazill, Rogers, and then D Allen and Fleener, with TRich catching from the back-field... damn that is one scary attack. *Everyone* can catch and run. Luck has to be just salivating about this. If the line is even remotely better and can give him some time, and TRich can get his game going, this is going to be one awesome offense.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-14-2014 at 10:48 PM.

I agree, I really like this FA crop. It felt like most were smart contracts, too.

One thing that feels different... is Luck. Even during the Peyton years, you never really had FAs make comments that Indy was one of their ideal destinations. I don't know why that was, maybe Manning had a bit of a rep as a hard-***. Big FA receivers were never brought in. It was always those system receivers who weren't huge or super athletic, they just were smart and ran tight routes, and had decent hands.

It felt like this time, there were a handful of FAs who openly stated that they'd like to come to Indy, and specifically named Luck as the reason. I know Mack mentioned it... Nicks mentioned Colts/Luck.

I think there's a lot of dudes in the NFL who want to be on that man's team.
    There's no doubt that the Colts are one of the most desirable destinations in the NFL. The main obvious reason for that is Luck and the bright future. Luck is the ultimate team player. With him, it's just always about the team. Every quote is about "just going out and trying to win football games". I could see him throwing for 35 touchdowns next year with this arsenal. I swear if Pep doesn't take advantage of these weapons.....

The second reason players want to play for the Colts is that the Colts are just a tremendously well run franchise that has consistently been at the top of the NFL for over a decade. Great stadium, great facilities, great community involvement, and an owner who treats his players very well and always does his best to give them the resources to win. There's a reason that players always seem to be sad when they leave the Colts. It's a great franchise to play for.

No under-estimation here, I expect Wayne to come back and be a big factor this year. He's almost Kobe-like in his routine and conditioning and competiveness, and he's still got a lot left in the tank.
    I could see him having a nice bounceback year this year, but a lot left in the tank? The odds are incredibly against it. How many receivers not named Rice have had good/very good seasons in a year where they turn 36? TO had a solid year in Cincy. Who else? It's not many. WR's, no matter how incredibly talented or conditioned, drop off big time once they hit the mid 30's.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I agree the Colts are a well run organization with a lot of things going for them, Luck especially.

But let's not kid ourselves. Guys want to come here because Grigson throws money around like he's playing Monopoly.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I agree the Colts are a well run organization with a lot of things going for them, Luck especially.

But let's not kid ourselves. Guys want to come here because Grigson throws money around like he's playing Monopoly.
    That's not entirely accurate, Jackson took less to come here. Nicks appears to have taken less. Davis had leverage and at least had a another team willing to pay him roughly the same. Bradshaw didn't get much either.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    There's no doubt that the Colts are one of the most desirable destinations in the NFL. The main obvious reason for that is Luck and the bright future. Luck is the ultimate team player. With him, it's just always about the team. Every quote is about "just going out and trying to win football games". I could see him throwing for 35 touchdowns next year with this arsenal. I swear if Pep doesn't take advantage of these weapons.....

The second reason players want to play for the Colts is that the Colts are just a tremendously well run franchise that has consistently been at the top of the NFL for over a decade. Great stadium, great facilities, great community involvement, and an owner who treats his players very well and always does his best to give them the resources to win. There's a reason that players always seem to be sad when they leave the Colts. It's a great franchise to play for.
    If we're one of the most desirable franchises to play for, why don't marquee FA's come play here? Or even visit? We've mostly signed mid tier to veteran journeymen over the years. Im not saying we are the Raiders lol but there are plenty of other franchises that are in front of the Colts when it comes to desirable destinations.

With that said, we have a pretty nice foundation for the present and the future. And we do have a track record of taking care of our own players (to a detriment at times) This years draft is vital to find some cheap talent that will produce on the field better than last years group. I know we only have a few picks but we need to make those count.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    If we're one of the most desirable franchises to play for, why don't marquee FA's come play here? Or even visit? We've mostly signed mid tier to veteran journeymen over the years. Im not saying we are the Raiders lol but there are plenty of other franchises that are in front of the Colts when it comes to desirable destinations.

With that said, we have a pretty nice foundation for the present and the future. And we do have a track record of taking care of our own players (to a detriment at times) This years draft is vital to find some cheap talent that will produce on the field better than last years group. I know we only have a few picks but we need to make those count.
    During the Polian years, free agency was treated as if it was some sort of rare disease. It's only in the last couple of seasons that the Colts have shown a hard interest in free agency, and we've brought some decent names in over that time period.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Grigson throws money around like he's playing Monopoly.
    This would be true if it weren't for the fact he's always been in great cap position.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of the very few times we delved into free agency before the Grigson era brought Vinny to the Colts. If that's not a top tier free agent I don't know what is.

This would be true if it weren't for the fact he's always been in great cap position.
    What does that have to do with guys wanting to come here?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    What does that have to do with guys wanting to come here?
    Huh? I was referring to the notion he spends a lot.