Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL offseason thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2014 NFL offseason thread

I'm gonna be honest: I had never heard of Phil Costa before today.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I personally like the Costa signing, I'm not expecting him to start full time. He's fits our blocking scheme (Dallas switched to zone blocking last year which is why he didn't play much), and he is known for his strength despite not being a "big" center. He's also a descent athlete. I think he's an upgrade over Mike McGlynn athletically, which was Mikes weakness he is not a very good athlete with poor feet.

Again, not expecting too much out of him but I like the move. Maybe they are using this move as leverage with the Browns in a trade for Mack. We can't afford to wait too long to see what happens with him and I suspect if we do get him, a trade is the only way, and they could want a young center like Holmes in return along with a pick, who knows? The Browns have a lot more cap space than us and won't let him get away without getting something in return. I don't think he wants to be there or he would of already worked something out with them by now, and his comments today make it seem like he wants to come to the Colts. We will see what happens.

I also think getting Wilfork could be a home run. That dude is an incredible athlete for his size and can afford to lose a little athleticism and still be a force, at least in the run game, which is our biggest weakness. And we have a good young NT in Chapman to keep his snap count low. We don't need him to be one of our top guys, just a key cog in the rotation. Plus he's a great guy and would be a leader in the locker room from day 1, and a great mentor for Chapman. He's not a long term solution but I could see him playing for 3-4 more years and be a productive player, at least situationally. We could afford to bring him along slowly.

Going forward if we could land Hakeem Nicks and Vince Wilfork without paying a premium for either guy I would be very happy about our offseason going into the draft. And if we could also land Mack as well I would be ecstatic.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You've never heard of Phil Costa? What rock have you been hiding under?

Yea.... I've never heard of him, either. My expectations are basically flat-lined at damn near "whatever" level.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

All I can think of is watching Tony Romo get rocked the past several seasons, and then I think about how this guy couldn't even start for Dallas last season. So my expectations are below the water.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First off there is no luxury tax in the NFL, there is a hard cap, 2nd Costa contract is only 2 years which won't matter when Lucks contract comes into play, and honestly the comment about a rookie or second year guy if it is not him is a given, Grigson already said it is a competition. This is why he is not getting paid much because it is a competition, he is not locked in for the starting spot, but her is there to push competition and provide depth and that is what the amount of his contract suggest.

Some of these premier players are being waived because the team gave them stupid contracts and they didn't want to pay at the end of the day, Browns were not against the cap when they waived Jackson. But honestly you have to invest money in your center, he is so valuable and if you don't and someone does not step up you are in big trouble, going through the center is the quickest path to the QB.

And I am with Hypnotiq, we will see what happens as far as worst than Satele, not saying he will be but there really is not much to say that he won't be.
    Correct, It is a hard cap. I am not saying that Costa is the starting C and it won't go to some 2014 draftee or second year guy or even an undrafted FA. All I'm saying is that they will not be signing a FA who cost more than Costa. If the Colts sign a higher priced free agent that contract will go on for longer than 2 years. Example, Mack would cost a whole lot for many years. But we can have this conversation at a later time when one of us can say I told you so.

Free-agent Pro Bowl center Alex Mack doesn't know where he'll play football this fall after the Cleveland Browns' used the transition tag — giving them the right to match any offers — on him."">But if he winds up in Indianapolis with the Colts, he'd consider it a win.On Thursday – hours before the Colts signed another center – Mack wouldn't reveal which teams are negotiating with him but said he would consider the Colts a welcome suitor."Anytime a player has a chance to talk with a team with a proven record like the Colts, (with) a quarterback and other weapons of the caliber Indy has, it certainly catches your attention," Mack, 28, said in an exclusive interview with The Indianapolis Star.

Familiarity had Colts atop new defensive lineman's listHAKEEM NICKS:*Free agent WR reportedly visiting ColtsAsked about the teams he's having conversations with, Mack said, "I don't want to get into who has contacted me. I leave those questions for my agents."The Star previously confirmed the Colts are one of four teams exploring the possibility of adding the two-time Pro Bowler. The Baltimore Ravens are reportedly one of the others. But negotiating with Mack involves many complexities because of the transition player designation.The Browns are committed to paying Mack $10 million for one season if he plays under the transition tag. They could have used the franchise tag and received two first-round draft picks as compensation if Mack signed with another team, but that also comes with a larger salary ($11.654 million).Perhaps that's why the Colts on Thursday were in the process of signing Cowboys free agent center Phil Costa to a two-year $2.7-million deal. The Colts could use Costa as their starting center but do not appear to have closed the door on Mack. Costa, 26, was benched last season after the Cowboys went with first-round pick Travis Frederick as their starter. Before that, Costa started 20 games in three seasons with Dallas after joining the team as an undrafted free agent in 2010.In a statement, Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said: "Phil is a young, hard-nosed and physical center who has shown he can play at a winning level in our league. He will provide strong competition at the center position."Regarding Mack, the Browns are committed to paying him $10 million for one season if he plays under the transition tag. They could have used the franchise tag and received two first-round draft picks as compensation if Mack signed with another team, but that also comes with a larger salary ($11.654 million).Mack and his representatives have vowed to work with interested teams to craft a deal that would make the Browns hesitant to match under the transition tag.The process, however, takes time. While unrestricted free agents are signing blockbuster deals, Mack sits and wait for an outcome as the wheels slowly turn. Even if he is presented with an offer sheet, the Browns then have five days to decide their move.For Mack, the wait would be worth it if he secures the long-term contract he seeks"I'm willing to be patient with the process," he said.The Colts have a glaring need at center after releasing two-year starter Samson Satele last week. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...colts/6378077/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's a good signing in that if the other options fall through, he has starting experience and it's another option instead of banking solely on Holmes or another rookie. Obviously, we still need to pursue Mack or another quality center...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    I think it's a good signing in that if the other options fall through, he has starting experience and it's another option instead of banking solely on Holmes or another rookie. Obviously, we still need to pursue Mack or another quality center...
    This is the way I see it. I cannot imagine Grigs is thinking that Phil is definitely the answer, but someone to be there in the worst case scenario of we do not land anyone else and Holmes busts out. I just do not see Grigs thinking ok center spot solidified for two years.

He cannot be any worse than Satelle, right?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

With Thomas coming back, we will have 3 very solid starters along the o-line. Obviously getting a good C is important, but as everyone else has said Costa can't be any worse than Papaya Juice Satele. I don't want to go into the season with Costa as our starter, but he may be good insurance in case we can't sign these other C's available. I wouldn't have minded getting Goodwin. A good, solid vet. 2 year stop gap type of guys.

If Costa is strong and a good athlete he might also be able to play some guard. Historically the Colts like to have a couple of versatile back-ups. Reitz can play guard and a little tackle. Linkenbach who played multiple positions is now gone so maybe Costa is intended to be the guard/center back-up with the extra benefit of being reasonable insurance in case Free Agency doesn't work out.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Correct, It is a hard cap. I am not saying that Costa is the starting C and it won't go to some 2014 draftee or second year guy or even an undrafted FA. All I'm saying is that they will not be signing a FA who cost more than Costa. If the Colts sign a higher priced free agent that contract will go on for longer than 2 years. Example, Mack would cost a whole lot for many years. But we can have this conversation at a later time when one of us can say I told you so.
    Depends on who it is, and signing a decent one for 3 mil a year is not going to hurt our pocket book. But yeah if we were to sign Mack then we would want it to be longer than two year, and paying him more would not be as much of a worry depending on how much. But of course you have to keep that stuff in mind when thinking about the future.

Also what you said before I believe was that, since we are paying him that much money he will be the starter at center.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm gonna be honest: I had never heard of Phil Costa before today.

I did but it was moreso for PTI talking about how he was once engaged to Hulk Hogan's daughter

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Does Costa have any special teams experience? Would he fit as a back-up C and a Special Teams player? (doubtful given his size)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Dang.

=== Bucs agree to terms with Dietrich-Smith ===

Tampa, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have agreed to terms
    with former Green Bay Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith.

Dietrich-Smith started all 16 games last season for the Packers. He started 25
    of the 61 games he played in over five seasons with Green Bay.

The Bucs believe Dietrich-Smith could start at guard or center.
    http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...ABN4677234.htm

Costa is Linkenbach 2.0. That's all. I wouldn't say he changes anything or is expected to start.

starting to seem like our plan for the line is the draft

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

The irony is that we could've gotten Hakeem Nicks had we drafted him instead of Donald Brown to begin with.

Last edited by Strummer; 03-14-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We all probably forget that we're getting Donald Thomas back, so that's like a built-in o-line upgrade. Thornton is probably our weakest guy now.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I'm all for drafting another receiver this year as well, as this is supposedly a deep receiver draft
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My priorities now are still the o-line and safety, getting more depth. I think our receivers are stacked. I even feel somewhat better about our line starters; we just need more depth.

If I'm Cam Newton I'd be pissed you let Steve Smith go and the hometown guy(Nicks) opts to go elsewhere. Who do they have now?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Our plan for the line is getting Donald Thomas healthy and the sophomores improving. Thomas was a big signing that went down quickly, and Thornton and Holmes look to be the other starters with Costa, Reitz, and Nixon being the main backups.