Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2014 NFL offseason thread

Where to talk Free Agency, Trades, and draft picks for this offseason
    Smothered Chicken!

Default Re: 2014 NFL offseason thread

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playo...er-broncos-nfl
    Offseason needs for Denver

A sensational season ended just shy of the ultimate goal for the Denver Broncos. But with Peyton Manning under center, there's every reason to believe the Broncos can be back in the Super Bowl in 2014. But first they have a little work to do in the offseason.

There's not a singular way to build a Super Bowl contender, but every championship team has had its share of shrewd free-agent signings, impressive draft picks and development of in-house talent.

In the case of the Broncos, the foundation was laid through each of those avenues prior to the 2012 offseason, when the most critical transaction came to fruition.

It was at that point the Broncos landed arguably the most sought-after free agent in NFL history by inking Manning to a five-year deal that immediately catapulted the team from a .500 club (albeit one that still won its division) to a Super Bowl contender.

But to examine the Broncos' success and suppose it was the byproduct solely of Manning is shortsighted, of course. The roster around him is perhaps as strong as any he has played on during his majestic NFL career, and the Broncos' ability to ensure that roster stays largely intact will be paramount to how the rest of Manning's career plays out.

With a young nucleus of talent -- something the Broncos have -- comes a list of ascending players looking for pay raises. It also leads to difficult decisions on players either entering contract years or playing under lucrative deals.

As the 2014 offseason begins (yes, it already has), here's a snapshot of three positional needs for the Broncos.
    [+] EnlargeChris Harris
    Kirby Lee/USA TODAY SportsIs cornerback Chris Harris in the Broncos' long-term plans?

Cornerback: Top performer Chris Harris tore his ACL in a divisional-round playoff win, meaning his status for the start of the 2014 season remains unknown at this time. The Broncos are unlikely to lose Harris, a restricted free agent, but this remains a position the team must address. Champ Bailey has slowed as age has caught up to him and veteran Quentin Jammer simply didn't perform at a high enough level as his role increased down the stretch last season. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who is also a free agent, made headlines last week in suggesting that he may retire if the team won the Super Bowl, though he later backpedaled on those remarks. Nonetheless, he's an unrestricted free agent who played well at a premium position. He's due for a payday, be it in Denver or elsewhere, after betting on himself with a one-year deal last offseason. He's likely to seek long-term security this offseason.

Wide receiver: It sounds a little crazy to suggest that the greatest offense (at least in terms of points scored) in NFL history would need to consider adding a wide receiver, but consider this: Eric Decker is a free agent, while both Wes Welker and Demaryius Thomas have contracts that run only through next season. Finding the cap space to accommodate extensions for some of Denver's core will be a chore for football operations czar John Elway, but Thomas figures to be near the top of the list. That being said, the team will need to make sure it has the depth behind Thomas to continue to play at its high-octane level. Manning has made a career of catapulting the careers of lesser-known wide receivers, but just as Denver made the right choice in investing in pivotal wideouts to build this offense through it's current group, it needs to continue to do so going forward.

Inside linebacker: While it may have seemed unlikely before the season, Danny Trevathan evolved into a rock-solid performer, leading the team during the regular season with 128 tackles and snagging a notable interception to turn the tide of a regular-season contest against the Cowboys. He played alongside fellow Kentucky alum Wesley Woodyard, who is now a free agent. Beyond Woodyard, next on the Broncos' depth chart was veteran Paris Lenon, who is similarly a free agent. Re-signing Woodyard would largely alleviate the need to shore up this position, though the team could also address the spot through the draft. Elway landed Trevathan in the sixth round in 2012; he'd be wise to add dept
    Smothered Chicken!

The draft isn't until May which sucks especially since its safe to say the Pacers will be in their championship run.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The draft isn't until May which sucks especially since its safe to say the Pacers will be in their championship run.
    I never pay too much attention to the draft in most years (aside from 2012 for obvious reasons), but I will have even less interest this year than I normally do. It will be irritating watching Cleveland use our draft pick. Plus the Pacers will be smack dab in the middle of a playoff run, as you mention.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

If they just use normal looking numbers on those unis, they are pretty good, IMO.

Unfortunately they took it too far.

Yeah this year might be a good one to skip the draft but it just reminds me football season is around the corner. Fortunately the Pacers are around till then.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Yeah this year might be a good one to skip the draft but it just reminds me football season is around the corner. Fortunately the Pacers are around till then.

At least free agency is always kind of interesting.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really just follow the draft to see what the other teams in the divison are doing, this year will be very interesting because they all have high picks and all might draft a QB.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by Natston View Post
    I really just follow the draft to see what the other teams in the divison are doing, this year will be very interesting because they all have high picks and all might draft a QB.
    Yeah, it's a pretty huge draft for Houston (1), Jax (3), and Tenn (11). Houston has to hit this pick out of the park. They don't want to whiff on someone and then be haunted when that player torments them with the Jags.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, it's a pretty huge draft for Houston (1), Jax (3), and Tenn (11). Houston has to hit this pick out of the park. They don't want to whiff on someone and then be haunted when that player torments them with the Jags.
    Imagine the story lines if David Carr's brother comes to the AFC South...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

FA is rather overrated I just hope the Colts don't go too crazy here.

Mood

Andquan Boldin anyone?
    2013-2014
    The Lost Season

17. The Following User Says Thank You to khaos01207 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by khaos01207 View Post
    Andquan Boldin anyone?
    Aqib Talib maybe?
    Smothered Chicken!

Absolutely yes for me. He's what you need in the playoffs...a reliable receiver who has big game experience. A Wayne, Bolden, Hilton, Allen, Fleener receiving corp would strike fear into any defense.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

I would love to have Boldin here as a reliable target and insurance on Reggie. The guy is reliable and always steps it up come playoff time. If Rogers could learn from Wayne and Boldin that would be amazing, but I do not know if Boldin would want to come here with the less targets. You would have Wayne, Hilton, Fleener, and Allen.

I think the primary focus for free agency is offensive line. I would love LOVE Alex Mack to be here for years to come and grow with Luck. Mack is only 28 years old and is already one of the top centers in the league. He would automatically improve our OL over that turn style we have now.

This line would make me feel much better going into the 2014 season.

RT: Cherilus
    RG: Thomas
    C: Mack
    LG: Thornton
    LT: Castonzo

The draft will be boring leading up to us since we do not have a first round pick and I sure as hell do not want to see Cleveland picking in that spot. We have to focus on defense and defense and more defense in this draft.

We need help at ILB, CB, Safety, and maybe OLB.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...avid-Sims.html

The Indianapolis Colts have signed veteran free agent safety David Sims.

The 5-foot-10, 210-pounder played in 15 games with one start with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2012 and had eight tackles, one for a loss and one pass deflection.

He was waived by the Eagles last year. Sims was originally signed by the New York Giants as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He then spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Cleveland Browns before joining the Eagles.

Sims was a two-year letterman at Iowa State and had 188 tackles and six interceptions.. As a junior in 2009, he was named Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year.

I think the Colts need to target a few impact players this year, we've got plenty of role players but we lack a few more top level starters on our offensive line and on defense. I don't think we need a receiver as much as some, I think the line needs to give them more time, and our young receiver just need more polish.

Alex Mack
    Aquib Talib
    Vontae Davis
    Linval Joseph

Draft a FS like Calvin Pryor or Eddie Reynolds to replace an aging Antoine Bethea. Then a guard or ILB in round 3 to improve depth and create some competition at those positions.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis...lary-cap-space

Colts to have about $41 million in cap space

INDIANAPOLIS -- The salary cap has been set. Now it's up to Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigson to make the right financial decisions with the money they have available.

The NFL salary cap for 2014 is $133 million, which is $10 million more than last season. That means the Colts will have about $41 million in cap space -- fourth most in the league -- to re-sign their players and improve the roster from the outside. Indianapolis' cap number is $92,903,156.

Grigson said in January that they were going to be smart and not spend just to spend because they have the money available. He reiterated the same thing during the scouting combine on Feb. 21.

“It’s not hard to tighten your belt when you’re looking at what we’re looking at in ’15 and ’16. In future years, we have some key, key young talent -- not to even give you any names; you know who they are -- that we’re going to have to re-sign,” Grigson said at the time. “So we have to be very prudent and fiscally sound in how we move forward. We still have a plan in place and if there’s a chance for us to get better at any position group, we’re going to try to get better, if it makes sense from a fiscal standpoint for the club.”

Re-signing cornerback Vontae Davis and improving the interior part of the offensive line are two priorities for the Colts during free agency.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-wont-tag-him/

Report: Colts want to keep Vontae Davis, but won’t tag him

It sounds like Vontae Davis won’t need to call his grandma today.

According to Jason LaCanfora of CBSSports.com, the Colts are continuing to work toward a long-term deal with the free agent cornerback, but aren’t expected to use the franchise tag to keep him.

Tagging Davis would cost $11.834 million for one season, but the Colts have the cap room to do so if they want.

If he left, they’d have to spend significantly to replace him, as he’s played well for them since coming over in trade from the Dolphins.

Davis has indicated he wants to stay, so spending the next week getting a deal done should be a priority for them if they’re not going to use the tag

Mood

Draft is interesting for me because I typically follow the predraft process, I typically know the guys who are good and who are steals and also know various team needs. I always hope that guys fall to the colts and when it doesn't happen I'm like darn and when it does they often don't draft them, lol

Also not Anquan for me, not really the direction this team needs to go, I want someone who will be around for a while that can grow with Luck.

I wonder if Bryd will get the Franchise tag put on him today or not.

Also a side not FA is not overrated if you make the right moves, you have to find pieces that fit your system and guys who can come in and compete. I don't think we did a completely bad job of that, but we really overpaid and did have a few bad signings, hopefully Grigson will get it together this year.

Question does anyone know when we have to make cuts by?
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo

Tampa's new uniforms are atrocious

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Tampa's new uniforms are atrocious
    They look bad but I'd like to see them outside of the animated rendering before passing final judgement. In unrelated news, I am glad that the Colts haven't changed the uniforms signicantly in quite some time.