Thread: So, what CAN you do in an NFL game...

Default So, what CAN you do in an NFL game...

…and not be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct?

I can't get the picture to post, but saw a graphic showing new celebratory moves that are now against the rules. They include:

-sack dances
    -home run swing
    -incredible hulk
    -spiking the ball
    -spinning the ball
    -throwing or shoving the ball
    -pointing
    -pointing the ball
    -verbal taunting
    -military salute
    -standing over opponent
    -dancing

The wussification of this league is sickening.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Default Re: So, what CAN you do in an NFL game...

I don't have a problem with spiking the ball and the goal post dunk never bothered me... but most of that crap can go away yesterday. What does it have to do with the game? Act like you've done it before.

What I'd like to see is the league putting it in the contracts that television is not to show these 'celebrations' and fine them if they do. Require them to cut away the moment one starts, and absolutely no replays of it. Besides that, fine the players too.

Let's see how long that crap lasts when it doesn't get you any camera time or discussion AND you get fined for it even though you weren't even on camera....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You really can't spike the ball anymore or do the military salute? Terrell Davis would have gotten a lot of penalties back in the day for the military salute.

Things like this have caused me to drift away from the NFL in recent years. The NBA seems to remember that athletics are supposed to be fun and entertaining. The NFL should be the same way, but the whole feel/presentation of the games feels like an office happy hour or professional networking event within your career field. Sure, you can squeeze in a little fun, but you have to remember that you're in a "professional" setting and therefore you damn well better restrict yourself to three beers just in case you do something mildly offensive. The NFL should not feel that way. It is ENTERTAINMENT.

The only things that keep me interested in football are the social aspects of it really. I like the competition of playing fantasy football with my friends and I feel like you need to know at least a little about the NFL to be culturally relevant in the US. I am also mildly interested in the Colts although not as much as I used to be. That's the result of living outside of the Indy market for so long and there not being an NFL League Pass where I can easily watch the games and keep up like with the Pacers.
    Last edited by idioteque; 09-04-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The No Fun League continues.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think people overreact. Yes, I think its stupid obviously, but it doesn't impact the game.

I wish they'd keep spikes, dunks, etc. but I won't stop watching because I can't see football players dance or put on short skits.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Spiking the ball is OK after a TD score, as is a brief spontaneous-looking dance by the person who scored, with high fives, chest bumps, etc. following it, with your teammates.

You can't do ANY of that in college

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You really can't spike the ball anymore or do the military salute? Terrell Davis would have gotten a lot of penalties back in the day for the military salute.

Things like this have caused me to drift away from the NFL in recent years. The NBA seems to remember that athletics are supposed to be fun and entertaining. The NFL should be the same way, but the whole feel/presentation of the games feels like an office happy hour or professional networking event within your career field. Sure, you can squeeze in a little fun, but you have to remember that you're in a "professional" setting and therefore you damn well better restrict yourself to three beers just in case you do something mildly offensive. The NFL should not feel that way. It is ENTERTAINMENT.

The only things that keep me interested in football are the social aspects of it really. I like the competition of playing fantasy football with my friends and I feel like you need to know at least a little about the NFL to be culturally relevant in the US. I am also mildly interested in the Colts although not as much as I used to be. That's the result of living outside of the Indy market for so long and there not being an NFL League Pass where I can easily watch the games and keep up like with the Pacers.
    I'm drifting away from the NFL and football because the off-season is so long. When over half the year is the off-season, I'll just get bored of it. I like the Colts, but I can't really sit down and watch other NFL teams play now.

I think the long offseason is one reason why I appreciate football. Since they don't play very many games, every one is meaningful. The product doesn't get diluted like other sports. I'll admit, after the Pacers have played until June these past couple years, it felt like they barley had an offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    …So, what CAN you do in an NFL game....
    I guess the only thing left is to play football.

I'm OK with that. I see no point in any of the other stuff other than self-gratification. Whatever you just did is what you're paid to do. Nice. Thanks. Do it again.

Reminds me of a show on the NFL Network. It was the Top 10 TD Celebrations. They went thru all the dancing and shaking and whatever - but the #1 was Barry Sanders. He simply handed the ball to the ref. It's the old "act like you've been there before". Works for me.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

I guess I enjoy feeling like I'm watching human beings show emotion in a game that's all about emotion and not a bunch of robots.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    I guess I enjoy feeling like I'm watching human beings show emotion in a game that's all about emotion and not a bunch of robots.
    I'm all for spontaneous showings of emotion. It's the canned and planned stuff I'm fine with them eliminating...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm taking a more passive interest in sports in general. I'm not nearly as invested in the Colts or Pacers as I used to be. I'm not becoming a non fan, it's just that my priorities are changing as I get older and I'm making a conscious effort to not let something as trivial as sports take up a chunk of my time it doesn't deserve. With that said, all of the stuff mentione in the "ban" from above turn fans like me off. And there are more of us than there are "hardcore" fans. The NFL is being smart. They aren't out to ruin your entertainment. They are out to preserve what they have built with their largest audience.